• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Georgia Brawl to Tournaments

Umby

Smash Master
After getting back from Atlanta Revival today, I've become further irritated that so few people venture outside of Waba/USGA to play in tournaments. I can understand places further away like Augusta and Macon, but College Park (Today's Atl Revival) and Doraville (Final Round XIII) are not THAT far from Waba. Part of the problem is having a ride. That's nothing most of us can really do anything about, but it doesn't seem to be a huge deal since people seem to be able to get to Waba fine. So I'm going to address a more prevalent problem (MONEY) and a possible solution to help out.

Disclaimer: This is not an idea that I can assure would be implemented immediately. It is simply idea. I want to see what Georgia's Brawl community thinks about it. If it gets a thumbs up, we would then have to address the most obvious issues and pool our resources to even make it happen. But as long as it's agreed that the idea is solid, we could take our time gathering those resources.

Alright, so the idea is that someone consistently and frequently hosts a Smashfest for a cheap door fee. Let's say $5 for right now. That money would be saved up to pay door fee for the next tournament relatively close to the Atlanta area (though areas further away from the area can play on the idea as well). So let's say you had a host that could get 10 people consistently for Smashfests two weekends in a row. That'd be $100, and with most tournament door fees being $10, we could get ten Smashers past the door, at least. That could likely null most excuses of not having money to attend tournaments.

Because it's not implied, I'd like to aim this idea at tournaments OUTSIDE of Waba/USGA.

Issues:
- Would need a reliable and friendly host and consistently available venue for the Smashfests
- Would need to make sure the host can get to the venue to present the money for people's door fees
- Would need a way to select/restrict whose door fee would be paid for at the next tournament (obviously we want the people who normally have a hard time showing up to have priority)

-
Another issue that bothers me that I'll edit the OP with is how even when a small / decent number of people do show up, no one brings setups. It's like people don't realize that you can WAIVE or CUT DOWN on your DOOR FEE if you just bring a set up. I don't know if people are insecure about having their stuff stolen or if they just miss that part of the tournament thread, but as a community, we can watch over everyone's stuff to make sure nothing bad happens. If there's a problem bringing TVs, it wouldn't hurt to at least ask if people could help out with that. At Final Round XII, I asked Dyno to let me use his TV to get a full waiver off my door fee (Badge was $35 at the door). In return, he asked for about $10. So what would have been about $70 spent between the two of us cut down to me paying $10 and Dyno paying $35, unless he pre-regged in which case he spend $25. Technically with me paying him, he only spent $25 (or $15). Before that, there was:

Impact Clash 4 - Maybe 20 entrants or a little less, but only my dinky *** TV (at the time) and Wii to run both singles AND doubles on.

The previous Atl Revival - 11 entrants, 3 setups. One was an HD TV that was too laggy to play on for tournament play (Though for some reason I'll never understand, the guys took one of our analog TVs for SF4 and not the HD TV?) So we ran the latter half of an 11 person round robin on one setup.

I honestly don't understand what most incentive it would take when you understand all the options available to you to SAVE money when attending these events. That's why I'm looking for the opinions you guys have on this idea.

I think there were a few more issues I wanted to address, but that's all I can think of right now. What do you guys think?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Three tourneys in a row would shrivel up my wallet honestly. I went to CB and monthly consecutively, which had already shrunken it. GA has a tendency to host multiple tourneys on the same day/ in a short time span of one another, thus many people(including me) aren't able to attend.

As for a place that could consistently hold smashfests, I was thinking about Gamer's Expierence. I know that they rarely host tourneys, (every 6 months or so) but I believe that they wouldn't mind hosting a smashfest. Of course, I haven't talked to them in a while so someone has to check up with them.

Purple

Hi guys!
I want to give a very strong post about this, but i don't have time, wait until tomorrow; i will edit this.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yea guys, not only was the tournament thread posted late, but the Monthly was right before it.

:l I guess this year it was just poorly timed.

Umby

Smash Master
I'm not just talking about Atl Revival. I'm talking about tournaments in general. This problem has been going on for a while.

Edit: Another issue that bothers me that I'll edit the OP with is how even when a small decent number of people do show up, no one brings setups. It's like people don't realize that you can WAIVE or CUT DOWN on your DOOR FEE if you just bring a set up. I don't know if people are insecure about having their stuff stolen or if they just miss that part of the tournament thread, but as a community, we can watch over everyone's stuff to make sure nothing bad happens. If there's a problem bringing TVs, it wouldn't hurt to at least ask if people could help out with that. At Final Round XII, I asked Dyno to let me use his TV to get a full waiver off my door fee (Badge was $35 at the door). In return, he asked for about $10. So what would have been about $70 spent between the two of us cut down to me paying $10 and Dyno paying $35, unless he pre-regged in which case he spend $25. Technically with me paying him, he only spent $25 (or $15). Before that, there was:

Impact Clash 4 - Maybe 20 entrants or a little less, but only my dinky *** TV (at the time) and Wii to run both singles AND doubles on.

The previous Atl Revival - 11 entrants, 3 setups. One was an HD TV that was too laggy to play on for tournament play (Though for some reason I'll never understand, the guys took one of our analog TVs for SF4 and not the HD TV?) So we ran the latter half of an 11 person round robin on one setup.

I honestly don't understand what most incentive it would take when you understand all the options available to you to SAVE money when attending these events. That's why I'm looking for the opinions you guys have on this idea.

PB&J

Smash Hero
more people are motivated after smashfest host them and they will go to tournies bring setups..win and win..same concept with both games..thats why i have smashfest like every other day

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
^^^ it's not that simple

also i got my wii cables (power supply and sensor bar) stolen at the last atlanta tournament i went to

Umby

Smash Master
Final round suckkkks.. I hear they are getting cheap with reflex and his pass.
That wasn't Final Round. That was ATL revival. The reason they didn't do it was lack of turnout from Brawl players.

The issue is that Reflex ASKED if he would get his pass BEFORE paying his door fee, specifically regarding the LOW TURNOUT for the Brawl tournament, and Iceman said that Reflex WOULD GET HIS PASS. He turned around after the round robin was done and said "NO."

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Sleepy you know you still have my mic still in your laptop, right?
nah bro i think i remember giving someone a mic at the first auburn tourney, and I think they said it was yours, and i was like o lol.

i gave it to some black guy, i dont know who he was. maybe ask billy?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
nah bro i think i remember giving someone a mic at the first auburn tourney, and I think they said it was yours, and i was like o lol.

i gave it to some black guy, i dont know who he was. maybe ask billy?
oh lawd minority got to it. It's gone, long gone.

Purple

Hi guys!
The problem is the possibility of people being selfish with their money. Most people won't see the idea of giving a person that they barely know money, and even more on the case that money they are giving (if the person doesn't keep it) goes to other people to enter tournaments and not themselves.

They are getting nothing for these entries of money. This can work, however I feel a little bit of the money should go to something else... Maybe a random raffle at the end of a certain period of time?

Umby

Smash Master
The concept of putting in money for other people's door fee is almost the same as putting in pot money for the top placers' prize money. I don't see how the former would be any less comfortable than the latter for most people.

Purple

Hi guys!
The concept of putting in money for other people's door fee is almost the same as putting in pot money for the top placers' prize money. I don't see how the former would be any less comfortable than the latter for most people.
Easy, in the latter people can actually get that money no matter how light the win percentages may be; just the idea of getting something for it gives them incentive. In the former, there is no chance of getting anything.

Umby

Smash Master
Easy, in the latter people can actually get that money no matter how light the win percentages may be; just the idea of getting something for it gives them incentive. In the former, there is no chance of getting anything.
In the former, you would be getting the chance of getting your door fee payed for at the next tournament, barring the restrictions we'd need to set up to keep this from being abused.

Aside from that, when certain players show up, there are a good number of people that don't really even believe they can make it far enough to get money. The only thing that a number of people have an idea of getting is tournament experience for their character(s). Given the chances that players have when Lounis, Reflex, Calvin, and Elev8 show up, the light win percentages are moot in this case, even if you do believe in them.

Even if you took that fact away, only 3-5 people would be getting anything from the pot fee at a tournament, whereas considerably more could get something from them getting their door fee paid for. In the end, for those that don't get their door fee paid for can often bring equipment for fee waivers. Contributing for pot fee is non-negotiable.

Purple

Hi guys!
I actually stopped. re-read, and I whole heartedly agree with what you have to say.

Perhaps the more money you give into the smashfests the more likely you can get paid for? if we end up doing this, the person holding the money HAS to come to the tournament, chances are it would be someone like micaelis who comes to everything.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Adding two cents into this:

When I heard that WABA was moving to a location that was more commuter friendly (the Marta stop is literally across from US Gaming Arena), I thought the problem would dissipate of being able to show up. I for one know that such was the case for me, hence my hosting two tourneys and not showing up to WABA for about 8 months.

We have a better location, more public transportation friendly, so can it really only be about the money? Or perhaps something else... :S

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'll be getting my own license sometime before the end of August, probably sooner so hopefully by when school starts so I'll be going to a lot more tournaments

Saltix

Smash Lord
I think we need to think outside of the box a little bit. today's topic: Expansionism.

I believe that if we work on making the GA brawl community a little bigger, hopefully some of our problems such as transportation. There aren't too many of us brawlers around right now, and we are spread out across the state. A simple outreach to people around us would do some good. The few of you that are still in high school have a prime opportunity to expand the community.

Although I couldn't get it to be a school wide thing, for 2 years I ran brawl tournaments in my orchestra lock ins, both of them topping 25 entrants, with NO incentive for winning. People approached me at the end of the night last year and asked how I got so good, and wanted to play matches sometime so they could get better. That could be all it takes to make the community that much larger.

Scatz has told me there's not much at southern, SPSU is apparently brimming with smash players, GA state has a few players apparently, as Sam has run a tournament or two there. I'll look into Kennesaw for myself and hopefully Calvin and Trevor will do the same for their respective colleges.

All it takes is for more people to get interest in smash. Reach out to the AiB'ers, the GameFaq'ers, hell, reach out to the people that attended the high school tourney (Their full names were used in the bracket). Reach out to the people that used to compete in tourneys, SRave, Zom~B, IceDragonX, Desu, etc. Even if THEY don't compete anymore, I'm sure they could find people who are willing to enter. Shoot, if you play another game (halo, gears, warcraft, etc) try and sway people to brawl.

Community Expansion is all we need.

Umby

Smash Master
Expansion is good and all, but just suggesting we "reach out" to people isn't solving the problem of people actually showing up to tournaments. What happens is, people don't intend to attend a tournament, therefore the tournament gets little hype. Not only are some potentially newer players turned off by potentially low attendance, but in turn it's often possible that they don't hear about it because people who COULD tell them about it aren't attending.

Not trying to shut down your opinion or anything (of course we want more players to join the community) but the problem I'm trying to address is people actually showing up to places. I honestly don't see expanding the community as a simple and effective solution to that problem. At the very least, it doesn't seem as much of an incentive as free money is (as contradictory as that sounds, given GA Brawl's precedence in using free money as an incentive).

I've also seen plenty of communication to try and get newer players to go to tournaments, yet the issue of providing rides still exist. Maybe that problem will solve itself with time and money, but it doesn't seem to be able to resolve itself in the near future, so I'm proposing, just for now, to optimize our efforts with what we already have.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Expansion is good and all, but just suggesting we "reach out" to people isn't solving the problem of people actually showing up to tournaments. What happens is, people don't intend to attend a tournament, therefore the tournament gets little hype. Not only are some potentially newer players turned off by potentially low attendance, but in turn it's often possible that they don't hear about it because people who COULD tell them about it aren't attending.

Not trying to shut down your opinion or anything (of course we want more players to join the community) but the problem I'm trying to address is people actually showing up to places. I honestly don't see expanding the community as a simple and effective solution to that problem. At the very least, it doesn't seem as much of an incentive as free money is (as contradictory as that sounds, given GA Brawl's precedence in using free money as an incentive).

I've also seen plenty of communication to try and get newer players to go to tournaments, yet the issue of providing rides still exist. Maybe that problem will solve itself with time and money, but it doesn't seem to be able to resolve itself in the near future, so I'm proposing, just for now, to optimize our efforts with what we already have.
Working with whatcha got, I understand. My TL;DR was simply, if we bring more people into the community, perhaps the ride situation will be fixed. By expanding, we open up our carpool options.

But, working with what we have, I like your smashfest idea, and heck we ought to start having tournaments run out of the smashfests. Gives people like me, who hardly show up to tournaments more options to get in good practice, attempt to qualify for the PR, and have a good time. Coupling this with the expansion factor, bring the new guys to a smashfest, tell em there's a buy-in tourney, and let em know we'll be going out to dinner and such (which we usually do). If they're truly down to get better at the game, they'll come.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
It also doesn't help that people show up for one event and then leave, not seeming willing to interact with the community.

Gee, I wonder who did that... :rolleyes:

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
People are not interested is the real problem. has nothing to do with rides since most of them manage to find their way to waba. it's not money since again they manage to go to waba tourneys and pay their to play. People just don't want to go out and better themselves cause they don't have high enough interest in going to these tourneys.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I agree with Alpha. The same thing is happening in Melee. People just want to play the game... they don't care about tournaments.

Top Bottom