• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm glad it's died down since last night and that we're having good discussion now. I got a little heated last night and for that reason I feel like I should apologize.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No hard felling, but I just don't understand why people expect Skull Kid, he was nowhere to be found during ballot times and there is nothing credible leaking him. He makes way more sense as a boss for Young Link. Just like the Black Knight for Ike since he is Missing from Castle Siege.
I believe it has to do with Skull Kid not being shown yet. The Mushroom Enemy from Earthbound fulfilling the role that Skull Kid did in Smash 4 and the fact that the Moon is its own Assist Trophy.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Even if he knows doesn’t matter if the roster was decided years ago and he isn’t in.
Yes, but the fan outcry after the Rathalos tweet should rise Sakurai's awareness of Golden Sun for DLC, just in case Isaac isn't in the base roster.

cybersai

Smash Ace
So if worst case scenario happens, how would you feel if Isaac's assist trophy returns? Would you feel anger? Betrayal? Or at least happy some Golden Sun representation returned.

I'm really starting to think it's possible.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Our best bets are in a Smash alone Direct, or end of this year when they announce new games and potentially the last batch of newcomers. I think more "expected" newcomers are bound now. We've had quite a few fan requested / ballot characters in since the unveiling of Ultimate; Ridley, King K.Rool, Simon Belmont, and even the Echoes Chrom, Daisy and Dark Samus. So that leaves for a few more "expected" faces to show up first, like Isabelle. I won't guess a next thing anymore. Hopefully Sakurai will hold another ballot for potential DLC characters down the line.

So even IF Isaac won't be in the base game, and even IF Sakurai won't innitially confirm DLC for Ultimate, I still remain hopeful. We can't compare Isaac with King K.Rool honestly in this regard, cause K.Rool is still from the DKC franchise after all which isn't dormant anymore since DKC Returns on Wii. Golden Sun doesn't have this. So I do believe we are bound to a new game, which might not even happen for a while.

Smash Ultimate's line up and roster is so full, I doubt they are gonna reveal DLC right away when the game launches anyway. We should be content with the base game till around a year and a half down it's line. So we might not even see Isaac before 2020 even. Yeah, there I said it. It might take us far more to reach to Sakurai than the support for Ridley (which could probably be heard even in another planet by how obnoxiously loud they've been :laugh: ) and King K.Rool, but have a beacon of hope. Cause I believe that we can easily revive the franchise.

About Camelot, I think they might even wanna do different things before Golden Sun. They said that they really wanted to make a 3D Donkey Kong game for example. And I applaud that (naturally). And IFFFF Camelot does a mainline Donkey Kong game, and it sells like the Country games, be guranteed that Nintendo allows them to make a new Golden Sun, and expand their office therefore.
K. Rool's comparison is mainly about the 'relevance' argument. DK series was alive but the character of K. Rool was largely considered irrelevant by the fandom, honestly any mention of him or Ridley was always mocked and laughed at. It's only in hindsight now that people claim K. Rool was obvious or that he's in cause DK series is still alive despite that not helping him in either Brawl or Smash 4. Its because of his overwhelming support on the ballot, the same ballot that Sakurai says that he's basing newcomers off of.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So if worst case scenario happens, how would you feel if Isaac's assist trophy returns? Would you feel anger? Betrayal? Or at least happy some Golden Sun representation returned.

For me, that's the second best scenario. The worst case is we get nothing in the game again so I'd be happy.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman

I'd be happy he's in at all. I'd still push for a fully playable character, but him coming back as an AT would be preferable to the unpersoning he got in WiiU/3DS

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice

I think I would be overall happy that we got him back in some form, but if it had to be that particular assist trophy I would much prefer that they give us Isaac as playable and give Garret the assist trophy position with the same move skill. Although I would rather they also did something more with the assist trophy than just pushing people.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Kinda hard to put my thoughts on this without coming off as somewhat pessimistic and dismissive - but depending on how he'd be brought back, it could either be decent, or just a copy-paste of what he did in Brawl, which'd be underwhelming.

Sadly to me, Assist Trophy-representation doesn't entirely last very long for me unless they're very well-done and powerful (Prince Sable) - and I dunno if I'd like the implications coming from Isaac becoming an Assist again, because we hadn't ever had a case a long-rallied characters suddenly absent from one game, to be just brought back as one.

In general, I'd be kind of afraid Isaac might be forced to be stuck on a "bad predicament" as Waluigi or Starfy have these days due being designated Assist Trophies. But that's more a worse case scenario or anything.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Sakurai twitted about the Nintendo Live page, there will be tournaments of some games including Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and it is going to be on November so... Maybe that's where we will get the Smash announcement (similar to how it went on with EVO, maybe?)

D

Deleted member

Hopefully we've calmed down, and that's not just for us Isaac followers.

To me, it's not Isabelle that was the problem with the direct. The problem was that there was no way a character like Isabelle would be able to give a positive reaction to people given all the circumstances we've dealt with the past few weeks. So, once we get that out of the way, let's just go back to supporting. Golden Sun got trending, and Isaac WILL be in Smash Bros..

In what capacity? That's the part that gives us stress and grief. The anticipation feels like having to pull a bandage off of a hairy arm; you want it over with, but things keep delaying.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

I'd be pretty upset, to be honest. Of all the characters to be promoted from Assist Trophy and Isaac isn't one of them? I'd be more upset if he isn't in at all, but I think Assist Trophy is the least likely scenario: he's either a playable character, or Golden Sun gets screwed once again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I wouldn't like it, that's one thing. Outside of that one Metal Gear Solid Assist Trophy, there'd be no other case of a AT returning after being cut in Brawl. In fact, I think it might make me mad indeed. For those reasons alone.

I always thought the removal of Isaac as AT in Smash 4 was dubious. He might've been considered, as his last game came from the same year as Little Mac's I believe? Or around the same given time. Isaac might very well have been considered, but they ended up choosing a different spell caster, in Robin, and a different RPG hero, in Shulk. So that's unfortunate.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
So does anyone want to talk about the Golden Sun trademark?
I don't think it's much, sadly. They also trademarked Rhythm Heaven, Mario Super Sluggers, and Wrecking Crew, which all probably have music tracks in Ultimate. I really hope it means we'll see more Golden Sun content, but I'm very afraid it points to music and not characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since I was already confirmed to be a Fire / Earth hybrid Adept, being of the Brute / Savage class, I can happily say happy 420th page!

Now lemme use Growth on some plants I'll plan to light a fire on now.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's much, sadly. They also trademarked Rhythm Heaven, Mario Super Sluggers, and Wrecking Crew, which all probably have music tracks in Ultimate. I really hope it means we'll see more Golden Sun content, but I'm very afraid it points to music and not characters.
At least they bothered to update it, though. Didn't Custom Robo not get updated..?

link2702

Smash Champion
I posted this suggestion in the geno boards but I figured I should probably ask here as well.

How would the isaac fans here feel about a friendly geno vs isaac tournament after ultimate releases if both get in?

Seeing as we’re both rooting for a rpg fan character, and many of us want to see both get in, why not have a tournament to celebrate after release?

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I posted this suggestion in the geno boards but I figured I should probably ask here as well.

How would the isaac fans here feel about a friendly geno vs isaac tournament after ultimate releases if both get in?

Seeing as we’re both rooting for a rpg fan character, and many of us want to see both get in, why not have a tournament to celebrate after release?
Sure! The puppt’s Going down!

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I'm glad it's died down since last night and that we're having good discussion now. I got a little heated last night and for that reason I feel like I should apologize.
Don't sweat it, we all were pretty upset yesterday.
Hopefully we've calmed down, and that's not just for us Isaac followers.

To me, it's not Isabelle that was the problem with the direct. The problem was that there was no way a character like Isabelle would be able to give a positive reaction to people given all the circumstances we've dealt with the past few weeks. So, once we get that out of the way, let's just go back to supporting. Golden Sun got trending, and Isaac WILL be in Smash Bros..

In what capacity? That's the part that gives us stress and grief. The anticipation feels like having to pull a bandage off of a hairy arm; you want it over with, but things keep delaying.
I'm sure everyone agrees Isabelle is not an issue but a welcome amiibo addition.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I would love that!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I will say that I was "overreacting" when it came to isabella deflating his chances.
But I'm still not really feeling a good chance for either GS or Isaac. And I'm not even apologizing for that. I thought that before the direct (and the hype of said direct), and nothing has changed.

At this point, I just want a ESRB level leak so I can get the huge bandage off and get on with my life. I only planned on supporting him majorly through the release of ultimate. But if he's not in, I'll be sad, but ultimately move on.

I have lots of things in the coming years, and I mostly wanted to support Isaac during the period of my life where free time would be more prevalent. So I really can't continue to hopelessly wait for something I'm not even sure will even happen in the coming years (If he isn't in the game).

In the end, we're still in the same position as before. back to square one. No matter what, it's still an uphill battle. And all the evidence we have is circumstantial at best. (With the exception of the fan ballots.)

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
At least they bothered to update it, though. Didn't Custom Robo not get updated..?
Yeah, poor Custom Robo's trademark has expired without renewal. I'm still incredibly hopeful for Isaac, but the grouping of Golden Sun with Wrecking Crew and Mario Super Sluggers does't bode well. However, Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven? Now that's interesting...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I won't lie. I think I'd be really upset. (I wouldn't feel anger or betrayal though, I mean Sakurai never promised us anything.....I think I'd just feel super deflated)

We'd arguably be back to same situation we were in during Brawl. Except at least back then the idea of having Isaac in Smash at all was a novel idea. If Isaac returns as an assist trophy the best thing you can say is that we get a better quality 3D model for Isaac. It would also close the door for Isaac to appear as a DLC character, so I can't say I'd be all that happy about it.

Maybe that's a sign I'm just too invested though. :p

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Isaac will be an item I turn off so an assist pales in comparison to him being playable and making an impact.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also since we're at it, who where your favorite party members from all the games?

With The Lost Age and Dark Dawn having 8 characters each, you are bound to have a few characters you liked less or used far less in combat.

For me, in Golden Sun, I always thought Mia was sort of useless untill she learned Ice Horn, and Glacier. She was kind of a heal bot before all that. Not strong in combat. And while I like her as a personality, she is my least favorite of the original party. In general, the powerscaling between Isaac and the rest of his party was pretty big.

In The Lost Age, I never felt as strongly for Sheba as I did for Ivan. She got a cool backstory, but it was never explained anymore in The Lost Age, which I felt was weird. Felix, Jenna and Piers are all straight up badasses however. Piers being the best Water Adept in the series overall I feel.

Dark Dawn; I felt that Rief was kind of tagging along just because after Amiti came into the party. Karis is cool and very handy early on, but also skipped over for Sveta most of the time. Himi was rather cool, but no chance she ever came in my party as the main Earth Adept over Matthew. Tyrel and Eoleo where both wicked I felt, Tyrel being like a sort of buffed Garet I felt.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I believe it has to do with Skull Kid not being shown yet. The Mushroom Enemy from Earthbound fulfilling the role that Skull Kid did in Smash 4 and the fact that the Moon is its own Assist Trophy.
But he also flipped the screen (Shared with Palkia) and made all players invisible (Not currently taken)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
But he also flipped the screen (Shared with Palkia) and made all players invisible (Not currently taken)
Yeah, I'm not sure why the Evil Ramblin' Mushroom is convincing people that Skull Kid is a fighter. I think it's much more likely he's a boss, but it's still completely possible he's an Assist Trophy they haven't shown off yet, for whatever reason.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Yeah, poor Custom Robo's trademark has expired without renewal. I'm still incredibly hopeful for Isaac, but the grouping of Golden Sun with Wrecking Crew and Mario Super Sluggers does't bode well. However, Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven? Now that's interesting...
Yeah... poor CR ;-;

I think that was StoicSeraph StoicSeraph who i believe has also been doing the Super Waluigi bros. web comic series
I love that artist. Such a cute art style.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wait, what happened after I left last night? I skipped about 8 pages.
---
I've reached Jupiter Lighthouse, this is the Djinn layout I've got right now.
Golden Sun KMDP Djinn 10.PNG

With Tinder, Sheba has finally learned some Mars Psynergy, everyone else has had two types of Offensive Psynergy; Felix has Growth and Blast (Nova), Jenna has Blast (Fiery) and Cutting Edge, and Piers has Growth and Froth. Sheba had Slash and Plasma, and just learned Volcano.

Piers'll get Whorl in Jupiter Lighthouse and then Isaac and co will join the crew.

EDIT: We had a discussion recently about Jupiter Lighthouse and how Isaac and co. and Agatio and Karst got in; I said that the business with the Shaman Rod and Sheba on Venus Lighthouse Aerie was pretty unnecessary and Saturos and Mernadi could have followed Isaac and co. in after they opened Jupiter Lighthouse, and it turns out I was right, you need to trade the Shaman's Rod for Hover at Shaman Village (which either Ivan or Sheba could have done) and then you use Hover to go around a gate, this gate stays open permanently after you open it.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not sure why the Evil Ramblin' Mushroom is convincing people that Skull Kid is a fighter. I think it's much more likely he's a boss, but it's still completely possible he's an Assist Trophy they haven't shown off yet, for whatever reason.
I get the feeling he's moved from assist to boss, only in the sense that Sakurai showed off only two so far and we have yet to know of these supposed other bosses that will appear unless there's chances of generic OC bosses like in subspace emissary.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What's all this talk about Golden Sun on the 3DS?

Sorry if this is really :079:lol.

Top Bottom