• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

QQS

Smash Lord
Fighter #82 presentation starts and we’re left on a shot of the stars. We hear “GENO AWAKENS” slowly fade in as a star drops to earth. We see the star fly through many different locations from Mario RPG, until it eventually finds the Geno doll. The doll gets up slowly as we see a glimmering Smash ball in his eyes...

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

Imagine believing this fake news.

Also, it's SUPER Mario RPG. Do some research for once, nerds.
To be fair, it is really ****ing amazing how much of a following that one character has built to the point where there actually are a lot of people who are familiar with Geno solely through us and Smash and not from the original game. The real reason most people play the game nowadays is because they either grew up with it or they heard about it because of the Geno cult too, so... I'd say that meme is more of a compliment than an insult...

We ought to reclaim that argument and turn it into a positive thing the way many communities do with various epithets.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
To be fair, it is really ****ing amazing how much of a following that one character has built to the point where there actually are a lot of people who are familiar with Geno solely through us and Smash and not from the original game. The real reason most people play the game nowadays is because they either grew up with it or they heard about it because of the Geno cult too, so... I'd say that meme is more of a compliment than an insult...

We ought to reclaim that argument and turn it into a positive thing the way many communities do with various epithets.
Back in the old Geno Thread, the majority of the people there had played the game, and even a majority playing it back when it first came out.

My point is that this isn't even accurate. Geno has risen and fallen in public popularity to be sure, and I know that people love him without having touched the game, as I have some friends that want Geno and haven't played the game. However, with a character as niche as Geno, it's obvious that they are the minority and the movement for Geno was started by and still mostly made up of people who fell in love with him from playing the game in 1996.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I feel like a lot of people are thinking Geno is 100% deconfirmed, whereas that just isn't the case. Yeah it's probably a safe assumption to make that any character that got a Mii costume probably isn't going to get in the game, but I don't think it 100% deconfirms them. In Geno's case specifically, his costume was a straight up port from Smash 4 with very minor tweaks, so I doubt it took the developers much time at all. If you were Nintendo and saw the opportunity to reuse some assets and make some quick money with little effort, wouldn't you go for it? Sure it might be a little weird to release a full fighter for a character that got a Mii costume a few months back, but I highly doubt it would have any impact on the fighter's sales at all.

Also, didn't every single Mii costume from Smash 4 end up getting added back to the game? It seems like they planned on adding back all the Mii costumes at some point when the game first released. Given this and the fact we already had King K. Rool and Chrom added to the game along with their Mii costumes, I really don't think the developers see Mii costumes as being deconfirmations for fighters.

Again, I do think Geno probably isn't happening, but I think it's naive to say he's been 100% deconfirmed. Personally, I think his chances are sitting at around 0.5-1%

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Trolling
I feel like a lot of people are thinking Geno is 100% deconfirmed, whereas that just isn't the case. Yeah it's probably a safe assumption to make that any character that got a Mii costume probably isn't going to get in the game, but I don't think it 100% deconfirms them. In Geno's case specifically, his costume was a straight up port from Smash 4 with very minor tweaks, so I doubt it took the developers much time at all. If you were Nintendo and saw the opportunity to reuse some assets and make some quick money with little effort, wouldn't you go for it? Sure it might be a little weird to release a full fighter for a character that got a Mii costume a few months back, but I highly doubt it would have any impact on the fighter's sales at all.

Also, didn't every single Mii costume from Smash 4 end up getting added back to the game? It seems like they planned on adding back all the Mii costumes at some point when the game first released. Given this and the fact we already had King K. Rool and Chrom added to the game along with their Mii costumes, I really don't think the developers see Mii costumes as being deconfirmations for fighters.

Again, I do think Geno probably isn't happening, but I think it's naive to say he's been 100% deconfirmed. Personally, I think his chances are sitting at around 0.5-1%
"Hur hur, I just want to remind all of you that Geno chances are not 0, they're 1%, which is pretty much the same thing, and he is not happening, but I still wanted to let you guys know" What a pointless comment.

QQS

Smash Lord

Geno can perfectly be the Last Star of DLC. Such a strong and popular character with Smash history like Banjo, I think his chances are still alive

QQS

Smash Lord
Would love for Sakurai to pull the ultimate surprise and have Geno as the last character. That would bust speculation up so much, considering we figure he's off the table due to the Mii costume. I don't think it'll happen, but I'm not going to completely lose hope.
Yes, this is Smash after all, a Nintendo game. They can put Geno over other way bigger candidates in their own franchises like Crash or Sora, but Geno is a thing in Smash like Banjo-Kazooie was.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

While I agree with your main point that Geno could still make it in as a fighter and understand you don't think it's likely yourself, my problem with this is the outlook that Smash has on Mii costumes compared to the outlook of fans towards them. Smash very clearly values Mii costumes as a way to honor characters who just couldn't make the cut and still try to appeal to those fans. It's easy for us to look at a costume and say it's not that big of a deal for them to upgrade it to a full fighter but I think it really is a big deal to the dev team at least. I'm sure if Nintendo still wanted to get Geno then Sakurai wouldn't fight them on it, but it would be a very odd choice for Sakurai then to put Geno's costume with another fighter at that point. I just really struggle to see it happening. It could still happen for sure and there are fighters who also have miis so it's not unprecedented but it seems almost impossibly unlikely for DLC, especially with just one left. If it happens, it'd certainly redeem the DLC for me. I've been relatively indifferent if not upset over the choices so far. I'm thinking at this point though, it's pretty clear Nintendo is not aiming to please fans such as myself which is fine since Ultimate is great and there's plenty of other fans out there with different tastes.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I agree with your main point that Geno could still make it in as a fighter and understand you don't think it's likely yourself, my problem with this is the outlook that Smash has on Mii costumes compared to the outlook of fans towards them. Smash very clearly values Mii costumes as a way to honor characters who just couldn't make the cut and still try to appeal to those fans. It's easy for us to look at a costume and say it's not that big of a deal for them to upgrade it to a full fighter but I think it really is a big deal to the dev team at least. I'm sure if Nintendo still wanted to get Geno then Sakurai wouldn't fight them on it, but it would be a very odd choice for Sakurai the the to put Geno's costume with another fighter at that point. I just really struggle to see it happening. It could still happen for sure and there are fighters who also have miis so it's not unprecedented but it seems almost impossibly unlikely for DLC, especially with just one left. If it happens, it'd certainly redeem the DLC for me. I've been relatively indifferent if not upset over the choices so far. I'm thinking at this point though, it's pretty clear Nintendo is not aiming to please fans such as myself which is fine since Ultimate is great and there's plenty of other fans out there with different tastes.
We do know that a Spirit Costume isn't definitely a death sentence either. Sakurai made it clear he was going to use Rex if possible among the Pyra/Mythra character, akin to how Pokemon Trainer works. Nintendo is also the one choosing characters, not Sakurai, so them being a costume (as shown above) isn't a big deal anyway. Same with AT's or Spirits. The development team isn't really relevant to the DLC choices. See below though, as there's a more proper reason why Geno being dead in the water makes sense.

While the costumes do have value, they are pretty clearly not a death sentence(for existing) so much as more the opposite way around. The characters were already hard chosen and the costumes were chosen after the characters. It's not cause they're a costume they're dead, it's because they were already not chosen so became a costume. It does sound arbitrary on the difference, but the order matters too. Not much, admittedly.

Albeit, it's not much different from what you're saying, and obviously Geno's timing is pretty clear what makes him done(though see below again why things are a bit more complicated), not so much just the fact he's a costume. I hope that explains the subtle difference well.

Lastly, keep in mind Geno's costume is just a slightly updated port of an old one. That's pretty easy to create, since the core work is done. So it's a matter of Nintendo caring about paying for both, which while it makes sense, the fact it's an easy thing to port over means both are worth the money on its own. The only costumes to not be ported over are 1st party too, which implies they already planned to bring all 3rd party costumes back regardless. It's not that I think we could still get a character who was a 3rd party costume, but they don't stand out due to being ports like a new one does, or for that matter, none were given the deluxe-style upgrade either(regardless of music). I highly doubt they're super massively important to Sakurai. Especially as the Geno costume was probably meant for Hero at one point(unless Sephiroth was always planned, which is possible. Steve is the other one in a similar boat), so they already had the work licensed and done. That means even if Nintendo wanted Geno playable, the costume isn't going to stop Sakurai. This is why I don't take the costumes too seriously if they're ports. There's too much behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Geno and chocobo costumes being saved for Sephiroth pack instead of Hero pack can mean either
that Hero pack was only meant for Enix part of square-enix (dragon quest mainly) without Geno or chocobo costumes.
or
that Sephiroth was planned during that time so they moved on the costumes until his pack comes in which would focus on squaresoft content.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I think Geno would make a good bonus character and I could see him being added like Corrin, in that you get the character and two songs. In Geno's case, he comes with "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" and "Fight Against an Armed Boss" which would be direct imports from Super Mario RPG. These would be added to the SMB series list.

In fact, I think any bonus character would be handled like this: a character from an already exiting series with at least one playable character plus a song or two.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Where did the other Genobros go after the creation of this new thread, by the way? There are a lot of faces I haven't seen in a while.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think Geno would make a good bonus character and I could see him being added like Corrin, in that you get the character and two songs. In Geno's case, he comes with "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" and "Fight Against an Armed Boss" which would be direct imports from Super Mario RPG. These would be added to the SMB series list.

In fact, I think any bonus character would be handled like this: a character from an already exiting series with at least one playable character plus a song or two.
This was my hypothetical idea for a 3rd Fighter Pass, where the pass adds characters for franchises already in Smash, but they only get a character and a couple of songs, no spirit board or stage.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This was my hypothetical idea for a 3rd Fighter Pass, where the pass adds characters for franchises already in Smash, but they only get a character and a couple of songs, no spirit board or stage.
there are still 3 spots left for stages after fighter pass 2 it would still make sense to get 3 more especially if they are from past smash games

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
I was sad for a second because I thought this thread died. Turns out, I just suddenly stopped receiving notifications for it.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
I've once again reached the final battle against Smithy on my SNES Classic, and even though I've only played the game a total of 4 times in life, all of which came after Sephiroth's showcase, this game's ending still very much hits me in the feels, knowing that Geno and Mallow still haven't resurfaced in a big way ever since.

Why does Nintendo keep pushing forward with this box standard Mario formula? Why do they and Square Enix not just do something else with Seven Stars? Why do they not love these bois, why can't we just have them back? It isn't fair, they still very much have a lot of untapped potential, and they'd certainly be much more diverse and enjoyable than a bunch of contrived baby and metal forms of already existing characters.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Anyone has a guess when the last one might be revealed?
I think between the end of September and the beginning of October. Plus, I do believe there will be extra surprises like Bonus Stages, Echoes, Break the targets and probably even a Final Bonus Individual DLC.

QQS

Smash Lord
Last fighter has to be GENO. If not, please give us Crash or Rayman. If not, Eggman or Tails. If not, Hayabusa!

Let’s finish this in the epic way, GENO JOINS FROM BEYOND!

Top Bottom