• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
You spoke like it's the only thing needed, which is false. Their biggest strength sure, there is no doubt about that. Someone saying that Nintendo's biggest strength isn´t its first-party is stupid. And you are underestimating the power of indie titles. I know a ton of people who has 450 GB sd cards filled with indies alone. There is a reason why Nintendo is focusing so heavily on it even if it feels like shovel war for others. Heck, the videogame that has sold the most copies in the world started off as an indie. They aren´t Mario´s, Zeldas, or Splatoons, don´t get me wrong... but there is a way bigger market for them than you expect.
I know indie games have a large audience. I love indie games. What I'm trying to get at is that indie games cannot sustain an entire year for Nintendo. That is why so many people see 2020 as a bad year for Nintendo. Sure they revealed and released alot of indie games in 2020 but without a substantial first party lineup to go along side those indies it makes the year seem lackluster. Nobody ever seemed to have a problem with indie directs or partner showcases before 2020 but suddenly once we stopped getting actual Nintendo directs and Nintendo was releasing way less first party content people started to get upset. Of course Nintendo doesn't only need to release first party games but without those first party titles your missing a major portion of what makes a good year for nintendo

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know indie games have a large audience. I love indie games. What I'm trying to get at is that indie games cannot sustain an entire year for Nintendo. That is why so many people see 2020 as a bad year for Nintendo. Sure they revealed and released alot of indie games in 2020 but without a substantial first party lineup to go along side those indies it makes the year seem lackluster. Nobody ever seemed to have a problem with indie directs or partner showcases before 2020 but suddenly once we stopped getting actual Nintendo directs and Nintendo was releasing way less first party content people started to get upset. Of course Nintendo doesn't only need to release first party games but without those first party titles your missing a major portion of what makes a good year for nintendo
Just a heads up that, if you want to add more details to a post or fix a mistake, it's better to use the edit button rather than double posting. (I merged the posts, which is why it just appears as one)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
In my opinion, people should be able to make Rom hacks of games but absolutely shouldn't make money off of them by any means. When someone else makes money off of some company's property than that's when they should step in.
And I can absolutely agree on this regard. But people need to realize that laws aren´t as "simple" as that if you know what I mean.

Bad year for a Nintendo fan.. that depends on who you ask. For me personally, it was an okay year considering my wallet and lack of time. Bad year for Nintendo? Well, if the financial report is anything to go by that doesn´t have to be the cause. Heck MK8DX continues to sell so well, that we are not going to see Mario Kart 9 anytime soon. That supposed Mario Kart 9 is more than likely than Mario Kart Home Circuit at this point. They aren´t Capcom, Square Enix, or Sega that makes games only. They create hardware and are a platform distributor that companies can put their games on as well.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I keep trying to tell people that making angry comments on your preferred social media platform only does so much and that you have to speak with your wallet, but I mean, what do I know?

In all honesty, Nintendo fans have no one to blame but themselves if you think Nintendo should have done poorly financially last year. Most of the bad PR is from people who don't understand why companies have to do what they do or make it too personal, and all of it is washed away almost completely by how much money these same people give them for Smash DLC and buying their favorite games they already have bought three times before now on a more portable console by their favorite company. It's almost as if the average Nintendo fan is easy to manipulate, both by their fellow fans and by the company themselves...

But that's none of my business.

1620531868492.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know what is my business though?

Geno getting into Smash, and reminding people why it's happening.

Don't let any of this distract you from the fact that we've heard so much valid information about many characters that it's nearly impossible that the DLC ends with just these last two character, and I mean information we've all heard that is incredibly damning. We have reason to take Lloyd/Yuri, Chief, Geno, Crash and Hayabusa talk seriously, and that's not adding in and first parties that can easily show up to pad out perhaps another pass.

Don't let the hivemind keep you down guys.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
... adding Geno after making him a generic costume would be the most un-Nintendo thing ever. That would be like owning up to a mistake.
This is a very weird mindset, because you are acting as if Nintendo made a mistake in the first place.

Remember that Nintendo is a business, and on top of that Kimishima was President of Nintendo when this first 11 DLC characters were decided on, which means he likely had a say in the MCWs and he is essentially known as 'The Business Man President'. It is a very business thing to take old assets and make money off them again when possible. Essentially, it's like making money off of something you made money off of once before, but repackaging it and changing it slightly so that it's technically new. Think of it like when Wizards of the Coast reprints a Magic The Gathering card that already existed in an earlier set: it could look a bit different with new art, or it could look exactly the same, but not everyone was able to get that card the first time around and now people are likely to spend money to get that card this time around.

Games like Miitopia coming to Switch is another good example: Miitopia is a game that already exists, but simply adding a couple new feature and rereleasing it on a new console is worth full-console price and people will buy it because they didn't play it before. This is why I slam my head against my desk every day when people say 'Oh X Character's costume came back, RIP them getting into Ultimate' because it has nothing to do with them being playable and everything to do with both Nintendo and the IP owner making more money.

Thus, the only mistake here is your mindset to the entire situation. Geno's costume is essentially free money for both Nintendo and Square, so why wouldn't you want essentially free money? I mean, just look at the US right now with people purposely staying unemployed.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Anyone else watching Fatguy703's playthrough of Super Mario RPG? It's been great fun so far! Also learned quite a few things about the game while watching, I didn't know that you have to fight Booster if you fail the curtain mini game too many times for example. If you're ever bored, I recommend checking it out!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
... adding Geno after making him a generic costume would be the most un-Nintendo thing ever. That would be like owning up to a mistake.
Yeah. But the thing some people are forgetting is that the Geno Mii costume is pretty much a port from Smash 4 as that costume was originally a Smash 4 DLC Mii costume. To me, that alone doesn't completely deconfirm as if the costume was new than I think it would have but it's not. Geno is still in this race.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah. But the thing some people are forgetting is that the Geno Mii costume is pretty much a port from Smash 4 as that costume was originally a Smash 4 DLC Mii costume. To me, that alone doesn't completely deconfirm as if the costume was new than I think it would have but it's not. Geno is still in this race.
People consider it a port because it's the same style, but that isn't the case at all. It is still a recreated/polished model. A simple port is a mod that brought over the Wii U one into the Switch.

Geno only seems likely as content outside of this current pass.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
People consider it a port because it's the same style, but that isn't the case at all. It is still a recreated/polished model. A simple port is a mod that brought over the Wii U one into the Switch.

Exactly. This is my biggest reason for believing that the mii costume really is it for him. They completely remade it in a more polished style and it clearly has better improvements from the smash 4 one. Would Nintendo really include that if they were just going to make him an actual character or did they just bring it back because it was in smash 4?

QQS

Smash Lord
My hopes are Crash at E3 (I hope is not Fortnite or something similar); Hayabusa, Eggman (or Tails), another unique Zelda rep. and probably hoping for a surprise like Bonus Fighter(s) or FP3. If that’s the case, my final wish is Geno to fulfill this 2 decades dream as the Last Star.

I can’t believe such a heavily requested, ackoedged and beloved character, with such a perfect moveset, musocand design, it’s not playable already. Though, I’m not like those fans throwing garbage, cause Smash Ultímate is already a dream come true with all that Nintendo and ThirdParty members partying together.

Im just a believer that there isn’t a crime on wishing upon a Star.

I just think that, maybe one day, Geno will shine like a Star again.

Hope everyone’s good!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Port, recreated polished model, it doesn't matter as the Ultimate costume is 100% based off the Smash 4 costume so he isn't out. Now if Geno's costume was a Deluxe on the other hand he would be out of the race.

Exactly. This is my biggest reason for believing that the mii costume really is it for him. They completely remade it in a more polished style and it clearly has better improvements from the smash 4 one. Would Nintendo really include that if they were just going to make him an actual character or did they just bring it back because it was in smash 4?
Not really as they pretty much recreated the Smash 4 Mii costume and polished up the shading and detail a bit. Now if Geno's costume was a Deluxe, he definitely would be out.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My hopes are Crash at E3 (I hope is not Fortnite or something similar); Hayabusa, Eggman (or Tails), another unique Zelda rep. and probably hoping for a surprise like Bonus Fighter(s) or FP3. If that’s the case, my final wish is Geno to fulfill this 2 decades dream as the Last Star.

I can’t believe such a heavily requested, ackoedged and beloved character, with such a perfect moveset, musocand design, it’s not playable already. Though, I’m not like those fans throwing garbage, cause Smash Ultímate is already a dream come true with all that Nintendo and ThirdParty members partying together.

Im just a believer that there isn’t a crime on wishing upon a Star.

I just think that, maybe one day, Geno will shine like a Star again.

Hope everyone’s good!
Hope you're doing well also. I'm keeping my eyes on the aforementioned Crash and Hayabusa, but also characters like Shantae, Ayumi Tachibana, Rayman, Lloyd, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, and Professor Layton currently.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hope you're doing well also. I'm keeping my eyes on the aforementioned Crash and Hayabusa, but also characters like Shantae, Ayumi Tachibana, Rayman, Lloyd, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, and Professor Layton currently.
I'm currently out of the lope of Hayabusa being a possibility no thanks to the interview deconfirming him.

Though i like to ask Why Shantae and Layton?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm currently out of the lope of Hayabusa being a possibility no thanks to the interview deconfirming him.

Though i like to ask Why Shantae and Layton?
Because like Rayman, Shantae is a character that has a noteworthy amount of support on top of the fact she had a spirit in the base game and if we're getting an Indie character, Shantae's one of the frontrunners. Layton meanwhile is because Level 5 is arguably the last major Japanese gaming company with noteworthy ties to Nintendo that surprisingly doesn't have any content in Smash yet, and I can see Layton at bare minimum getting a Mii Costume

Dan

Smash Lord
This is a very weird mindset, because you are acting as if Nintendo made a mistake in the first place.

Remember that Nintendo is a business, and on top of that Kimishima was President of Nintendo when this first 11 DLC characters were decided on, which means he likely had a say in the MCWs and he is essentially known as 'The Business Man President'. It is a very business thing to take old assets and make money off them again when possible. Essentially, it's like making money off of something you made money off of once before, but repackaging it and changing it slightly so that it's technically new. Think of it like when Wizards of the Coast reprints a Magic The Gathering card that already existed in an earlier set: it could look a bit different with new art, or it could look exactly the same, but not everyone was able to get that card the first time around and now people are likely to spend money to get that card this time around.

Games like Miitopia coming to Switch is another good example: Miitopia is a game that already exists, but simply adding a couple new feature and rereleasing it on a new console is worth full-console price and people will buy it because they didn't play it before. This is why I slam my head against my desk every day when people say 'Oh X Character's costume came back, RIP them getting into Ultimate' because it has nothing to do with them being playable and everything to do with both Nintendo and the IP owner making more money.

Thus, the only mistake here is your mindset to the entire situation. Geno's costume is essentially free money for both Nintendo and Square, so why wouldn't you want essentially free money? I mean, just look at the US right now with people purposely staying unemployed.
Okay, but my whole post was a response to you saying "Geno getting into Smash, and reminding people why it's happening." Anyone who thinks Geno is still getting in at this point has a "very weird mindset". Yes, anything can happen, but it's delusional. You didn't even provide any reasons he's gonna get in.

I will gladly eat my words; I am a supporter, but also a realist.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Port, recreated polished model, it doesn't matter as the Ultimate costume is 100% based off the Smash 4 costume so he isn't out. Now if Geno's costume was a Deluxe on the other hand he would be out of the race.
Sure, but it would be such a "non-Nintendo move" let alone non-Sakurai move to first sell us the costume several packs prior to then sell us the real character later for the reason PapaGenos has pointed ut. It would come off as scummy. And if there is anyone that is careful about their image, it is Nintendo. That´s why most people (myself included) believe that the post-launch Mii Costumes deconfirm. It had been a different thing if the costume returned with the character on the spot.

Like Dan said above. I gladly eat my words, but I don´t see how he is such a sure sign :/ Especially since we act like every other costume is "deconfirming character X" that is not Geno.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sure, but it would be such a "non-Nintendo move" let alone non-Sakurai move to first sell us the costume several packs prior to then sell us the real character later for the reason PapaGenos has pointed ut. It would come off as scummy. And if there is anyone that is careful about their image, it is Nintendo. That´s why most people (myself included) believe that the post-launch Mii Costumes deconfirm. It had been a different thing if the costume returned with the character on the spot.

Like Dan said above. I gladly eat my words, but I don´t see how he is such a sure sign :/ Especially since we act like every other costume is "deconfirming character X" that is not Geno.
Well, I'm believing in doll boy until the fat lady sings which is Sakurai.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Just wanted to point out that while I agree that the mii costume does probably deconfirm geno I'm not sure Nintendo cares about being scummy. I mean just look at all the Mario 35th anniversary stuff they removed for no reason. Nintendo isnt above being that way.

Reactions: Dan

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just wanted to point out that while I agree that the mii costume does probably deconfirm geno I'm not sure Nintendo cares about being scummy. I mean just look at all the Mario 35th anniversary stuff they removed for no reason. Nintendo isnt above being that way.
Fair point

Well, I'm believing in doll boy until the fat lady sings which is Sakurai.
Nothing wrong with that,... I´m doing so as well. I just don´t see how the evidence still lies up. Especially when they didn´t even use the Pyra&Mythra reveal direct to give us news of a potential sequel/remake of SMRPG that has flown around or better yet, reveal Geno there if he truly is there considering it was the end of the Mario 35th celebration .

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Scummy, huh? At least they aren’t on the levels of Activision or EA, right?

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo would never go full microtransaction and lootboxes galore for console games. That if anything would just destroy their image as a family-friendly company
Maybe but they've already started with their mobile games like mario kart tour so who knows?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Maybe but they've already started with their mobile games like mario kart tour so who knows?
And you do know that Animal Crossing sold so well that Nintendo straight up said that they won´t do any more mobile games? Heck, the folks that make Dragalia Lost have said that they could have garnered much more money if Nintendo didn´t hold them back. So no, they are not going that far.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
And you do know that Animal Crossing sold so well that Nintendo straight up said that they won´t do any more mobile games? Heck, the folks that make Dragalia Lost have said that they could have garnered much more money if Nintendo didn´t hold them back. So no, they are not going that far.
I did not know this.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I did not know this.
No problem.

Anyway, assuming that the next two are the last two, how many characters do you all think will be revealed on E3? I mean, we got Hero & BK, and last year it is safe to assume that we would have gotten Steve +either Min-Min or Sepiroth had COVID not struck. I think there is a chance that we see two, no matter if they truly are the last ones (which I personally expect they are) or we are having the legendary bonus fighter or better yet, a third pass,

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
No problem.

Anyway, assuming that the next two are the last two, how many characters do you all think will be revealed on E3? I mean, we got Hero & BK, and last year it is safe to assume that we would have gotten Steve +either Min-Min or Sepiroth had COVID not struck. I think there is a chance that we see two, no matter if they truly are the last ones (which I personally expect they are) or we are having the legendary bonus fighter or better yet, a third pass,
I'm in the mind set of one or two fighters being announced, would be surprised for a 3rd pass though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No problem.

I'm in the mind set of one or two fighters being announced, would be surprised for a 3rd pass though.
I expect two reveals at E3 as there has never been a E3 that didn't have more than one Smash reveal.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No problem.

I'm fairly confident we'll see both of the remaining fighters since we know that FP10 is basically guaranteed to be a June reveal and release

Top Bottom