• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Had to pop in and offer some last thoughts for this thread before it's closed.

I mentioned this in the Newcomer general thread, and I'll repeat it here, Passion for a character doesn't have to be limited to Smash speculation. Fans of the Sonic series have dealt with their droughts in terms of media, and they've turned that into a scene with a lot of great art, stories, mods, and even games. I think a lot of Geno fans could the same, especially when fan content is bigger than ever. The Another Crusade title (spiritual successor to Mario RPG) is still set to be released, stuff like Rivals of Aether has Geno downloads in its Steam workshop, and obviously Ultimate modding will produce some very relevant content to our beloved Blue Puppet some day soon.

I'll heartily welcome anyone to continue to campaign for him too, no matter how much of an underdog he might be perceived as in the next cycle. All I'll say is to learn from the mistakes parts of this fandom has made and make sure one's passion for him is tempered with both healthy skepticism of leaks and a respect for other's views, even if they're not exactly positive about him or his odds. We're all fans of Smash, and it's something to always keep in mind, no matter what the future holds.

I know it's tempting to look at the past year and half and generally not have hope for him and/or be disenfranchised about everything related to him, but video games are filled with surprising comeback stories, and I think in the grand scheme, in one way or another, our Star Warrior will be no exception.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, unless I'm misreading things, all Ultimate speculation is shutting down, but there's going to be some sort of vague 'next Smash' thread, somewhere? Does that not include specific character speculation for the next game?

Either way, I can say with confidence that I've done my fair part in regards to attendance. I think I've been with you guys for every character reveal since I incarnated as Griselda, haven't I? Through all of the highs and lows, Smash speculation has been...

Well, it's been, that's all I can say on it, I think. From here on out, my personal goal is just modding the heck out of Ultimate and giving myself (and my younger cousins) everything Sakurai and his dev team didn't give us. Moving forward, I plan to eventually commission a ton of mods which will hopefully be available for everyone else, too. (Who knows, maybe I'll get a Geppetto Mii Swordfighter outfit made, or even a TV series Zelda skin. Imagine me, my edgy son, and our star boy all together in a team match!) If there's one undeniably good point about there being so many characters in Ultimate, it's that with modding we have no shortage of options for replacement - especially with one-slot things progressing more and more. Not to mention the possibilities once we've got complete original movesets as an easy option. I'm sure that everyone who plays has at least one or two characters they wouldn't mind trading for someone else.

I'm still gonna support Geno, obviously - I'll always give him a vote whenever I'm actually allowed to cast one - and I suppose that with this thread vanishing I might be open to staying on board with any alternate Geno/SMRPG-related communication hubs, if we've got any proper and stable ones? Not sure if I'd be a consistent name wherever, but I came back here after ages, right? Even if that was more of a sense of duty if anything. Maybe drop me a note if anything comes up? I'm still a Star Road Crusader, even if I pull an Achilles more often than not.

We've certainly come a long way since I arrived on the scene, even if it was relatively late in the game.

Keep right on wishing until next time. Eventually, you'll either be heard or you'll grant your wish yourself, somewhere along the way.
acquire geno.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Before this thread closes, I would just like to say how much I have grown to love Geno thanks to speculation.

Never even played SMRPG before Smash, and learning his popularity in this community is what caused me to delve deeper into his history and make a fan out of me.

Needless to say, don't stop supporting Geno, be it Smash or otherwise. The next time this crazy speculation train comes around, I will likely get on again. Hope to see some of you guys there as well.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Since this thread seems to be closing I'll also say a few words. While I'm sad to see this thread go (as it's the only place I can talk about smash or geno without having to deal with the communities bs) it has been one of the best parts about ultimate speculation for me.

I followed this thread for awhile and only made an account after genos costume came back. While I'm still very disappointed with genos absence (and ultimates ending in general) I don't want that to undermine how much this thread has helped keep my spirits at least slightly high even when things were pretty depressing. I just want to give a huge thank you to everybody (or mostly everybody) in this thread for keeping a character as special as geno and a game as special as smrpg alive for all these years.

Let's hope that when a new smash comes along it will by some miracle be a direct port of ultimate and we can finally see geno take his rightfully earned place on the roster after more than 20 years of waiting.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Had to pop in and offer some last thoughts for this thread before it's closed.

I mentioned this in the Newcomer general thread, and I'll repeat it here, Passion for a character doesn't have to be limited to Smash speculation. Fans of the Sonic series have dealt with their droughts in terms of media, and they've turned that into a scene with a lot of great art, stories, mods, and even games. I think a lot of Geno fans could the same, especially when fan content is bigger than ever. The Another Crusade title (spiritual successor to Mario RPG) is still set to be released, stuff like Rivals of Aether has Geno downloads in its Steam workshop, and obviously Ultimate modding will produce some very relevant content to our beloved Blue Puppet some day soon.

I'll heartily welcome anyone to continue to campaign for him too, no matter how much of an underdog he might be perceived as in the next cycle. All I'll say is to learn from the mistakes parts of this fandom has made and make sure one's passion for him is tempered with both healthy skepticism of leaks and a respect for other's views, even if they're not exactly positive about him or his odds. We're all fans of Smash, and it's something to always keep in mind, no matter what the future holds.

I know it's tempting to look at the past year and half and generally not have hope for him and/or be disenfranchised about everything related to him, but video games are filled with surprising comeback stories, and I think in the grand scheme, in one way or another, our Star Warrior will be no exception.
Our own lad OffBi is working on that massively dope SMRPG Friday Night Funkin mod and it's already pretty dope with it's latest version that dropped and is looking to get even better. Definitely give that a go when you have the time.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
They just get archived and locked so you can't reply anymore. You can still browse and read everything posted
What this means for me is that up until the next Smash gets announced, I'm essentially ex-communicated from fellow Geno fans. It sucks, but what can ya do.

I've got a couple to talk with on occasion, but I gave up on Twitter because of how it's just horrible with people who don't live in reality in addition to having both tons of abuse (which I'm fine with, in terms of receiving abuse. I can handle it most days) and other Geno fans telling me to shut up and stop being confident in his chances (which I was absolutely not okay with, and it happened a lot).

Outside of that is Star Road, which combined with Operation Starfall, of which I wouldn't mine maybe hopping back into just for the sake of being able to talk with all my old Geno Bros again...but as far as I have heard from rumbles of rumors, a number of people there who have been die-hard Geno Fans for a hot minute have been getting outed for a very varied variety of horrible things, a portion of them even mods and staff, and the server seems to consistently have issues with poor moderation even when the people's chosen of the server get elected.

When you add that in with how I'm almost positive there are still folks there who would either want me (or could and WOULD) insta-ban me or whatever over wanting to have a discussion over sensitive topics and taking unpopular stances for the sake of deep and meaningful discussion from the last time I was there over a year ago (which caused me to be partially villainized due to some people in the thread grouping up with the opinion that there can be no such discussions and there is only one correct stance to have) that it seems relatively pointless to even bother. PapaGeno's server isn't even really about Geno anymore and the absolutely dreadful things that I saw and experienced there are prime material to never bother with that either.

God, I miss the days of MissingGlitch, Ovaltine, OffBi, Franco Geno, MattX20, pinshadow, that one member who was a massive Ninten fan, that guy who had Max the Rabbit as his pfp...man, so many more than that. We had memes, were super active...sure I didn't get along with everyone, but I miss those as well to a degree. Just a bunch of Geno Fans, supporting our blue puppet boi, loving our odds one day and despairing the next because he's so niche. Those were the days. Some of you all are still here, but even that will be lost in days time.

I sincerely hope we can bring all that back someday in the near future.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
If this thread is really being closed off eventually, I just want to say that you guys don't get enough credit for your devotion to Geno and the entirety of Seven Stars as a whole. And I find it both astounding and sickening how terrible you all have been treated and dismissed from other parts of the Smash fandom for a long time.

But even if this cycle of mockery and being called delusional seems to feel like it's a neverending nightmare, I'm very happy to have now officially played the game and become a part of this support thread myself, ever since the night of Sephiroth's showcase. I always have been super sympathetic for underdogs like Geno, and as long as the dream is kept alive to see these characters in full glory again someday, I would certainly hope that others like me are sure to join your ranks.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It is truly baffling to me, the hatred I've seen Geno and my fellow Geno supporters get. For goodness' sake, it's a character in a video game! Too many awful people out there who need better perspective on life.

See you around, Geno bros, gals, and non-binary pals! I'll still pop on Smashboards and Star Road from time to time. Let's keep support for our boy strong, cuz not only would him in Smash be the dream, but so would him in a port/remake of SMRPG, an SMRPG 2, Mario Party, Kart, Golf, etc! Let's hope something like that can happen! Oh, and if anyone wants or needs to keep up with me for more than my occasional visits to the aforementioned places, my Discord should be Strange Kitten #1412. I hereby grant you the chance to add me, if you wish!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's no way they can do that against an anonymous person publishing stuff under a pseudonym. Who are they going to sue? Who would they know to sue?

People make fan games and write fanfiction and draw fanart all the time, all of which is illegal and therefore shouldn't be done, but literally nothing happens to most people so the fear of it is entirely baseless. Just because Nintendo singled out a few developers to try to make examples out of them doesn't change that fact; they're so few and Nintendo's overreaction to them was so extreme that the only logical conclusion that can be made is that Nintendo was simply using them to try to intimidate everyone else into compliance, and with intimidation, all the work has to be done by the victim. You give Nintendo that power by being afraid of them. So just stop being afraid of them. If there was any basis to the fear of being sued by them, fanfiction.net and AO3 could not possibly exist, so stop worrying about it and just make the games you want.
Late on this but things like fan art and fan fiction literally aren't comparable to fan games in this case. Especially not in the cases of fangames being remakes.

Literature and visual art are far older as mediums than video games are, and, as such, have more legal precedent in regards to protecting transformative works. In contrast, video games are a comparatively nascent medium with very little in regards to set legal precedent, leaving things very much weighed in legal favor of the IP holders and major corporations.

But more importantly, the reason things like fan art and fan fiction don't normally get targeted by Nintendo while fan games do is much more simple.

Nintendo is a video game company.

By using their intellectual properties to create the very product they themselves are trying to sell, they have every reason, from their perspective, to put an end to it. With fan art and fan fiction, it's not an issue unless you're very overtly making money off of it, because reading a Metroid story or looking at Samus fan art isn't going to be a potential lost sale. On the other hand, something like AM2R, which was a remake of an old, existing game available for free (while Nintendo was selling it on the 3DS Virtual Console and planning a remake, no less) would absolutely be struck down.

Nobody wants to mess with a Cease and Desist because this medium has almost zero legal protection from mega corporations like Nintendo, and even if there was some, offering the same product that they do for free while using their IP is a setup for a very easy lost court case.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Before the thread closes, I want to tell you all a story!

I wasn’t a Smash fan back in the Brawl days, I joined the community back around the middle of the DLC cycle of Smash Wii U & 3DS, so I didn’t really know a lot about who were the most requested or not. My first experience of Smash was when my best friend got to bring his N64 to school. I fell in love with the game instantly and I mained Donkey Kong. My fascination led to check out Smash Bros for Wii U, 3DS, and eventually the rest of the series.

Eventually for Smash Wii U and 3DS, I wanted to know who were the most requested out of curiosity. There were tons of characters I saw repeated: Shantae, King K. Rool, Professor Layton, etc. One of these characters that stuck out to me, is our puppet boy Geno. I didn’t grow up around the time Super Mario RPG released, it was Geno’s Smash requests the brought him to my attention. When I constantly saw gameplay footage, I was intrigued. The more I watched those most requested videos, the more I learned about him. “Geno, a star warrior, sent by a higher authority to gather the Seven Star Pieces of the Star Road so that people’s wishes could be granted”. I remember going out of my way to watch videos involving Geno. I would watch videos from anyone and their dog about Geno, positive or negative. I remember constantly talking about Geno, drawing him for fun, and I even remember making paper fans with Geno on them (my school was always burning hot inside).

Fast forward a few years later, around the announcement of Smash Ultimate. Around that time, Geno became my most wanted character. I remember being shocked when I found out that a new or deluxe Smash game was coming. During the wait period for Ultimate’s release, I got a Nintendo eShop card for my Wii U, and finally purchased Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! I didn’t play many RPGs at that time, but I loved that game and played it so much! What I saw people saying about the game was all true! I constantly recommended my friends to try it out (when they asked about game recommendations), I still don’t know if they ever did though.

The final big thing during that time period was that I discovered there was a huge Geno community on Smashboards. I never really checked SmashBoards, until I saw PapaGenos constantly bringing up leaks, speculation, and theories from there. I wasn’t really into message board websites at the time, they always seemed complicated. It wasn’t until PapaGenos was finding a lot of speculation about Geno that I finally decided to click a link to the original Geno thread. I was in shock that there was such a large community of Geno supporters on this website, that I somehow missed out on during the DLC cycle for Wii U & 3DS. A board that discussed Geno and everything about him. I was one of those guests you would constantly see at the bottom. I would always just browse messages from time to time, at least once every week. Right around the time of Steve’s announcement, I finally signed up for SmashBoards and officially joined the Geno Smash Community. This was the greatest discussions involving Smash I ever made. I got to finally like, bookmark, and discuss with you all about Geno and Super Mario RPG! I didn’t post a lot compared to the other members, but you could most likely always see me in your like box, still to this day!

My main message with my long story or ramble is that no matter how many haters come and make fun of us, our work is still going strong. Even if Nintendo or Square are not listening to us now, we are still reaching some people. No matter how many people brush us off, there are still more Geno fans coming into the fanbase, one way or the other. For all we know, there could be a new Geno fan as a guest, looking at our messages as we speak. I am glad I had the chance to join SmashBoards and discuss with you all. I don’t know what will happen next when this thread will be closed, I will probably see if there will be any Geno/Super Mario RPG discussion thread or spend more time on the Geno Discord. I wish good luck for whatever path for you take next! One thing is for certain, we shouldn’t try to hide our love for Geno!:geno::starman:
CE461964-B366-4D89-BBAB-2B3850DE87A9.jpeg

This is probably my longest post about Geno I have ever made. Sorry for any grammar mistakes or repeated words, I wanted to get this message out as soon as possible!

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Wait, this thread is dying too? I thought it's only for DLC speculation thread?

So what happens from here?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Before the thread closes, I only want to say I hope to see Geno in an upcoming game, no matter if it's a new Mario game or a new brand for Square Enix. There is quite some time before Smash 6 and of course we can't just wait for that.

It's arguably nice for Nintendo to mention him again with the costume re-release, but it doesn't seem enough for such long time fan support.

PurpleGiraffesMeow

Smash Rookie
Wow everyone, it's been a minute. Thought I, like many of you, would jump in here and give some final thoughts before the Smash Ultimate newcomer forums get closed. The initial Geno thread was somewhere I would go on practically a daily basis once upon a time, to see speculation and discussion on a personal favorite character of mine (and I'm sure many of you!).
And while we didn't make it this time around it was plenty of fun hanging out with everyone or just lurking and watching conversations unfold. There were PLENTY of twist and turns when it came to Geno in Ultimate but in the end, I had lots of fun.

To wrap up, I recall seeing someone in these threads some time ago say something that has been quite impactful on me in regards to characters getting in Smash.

"It's a dream come true.

Just not my dream."

So while we're here in the final hours of this forum space I'd like to reflect that while we may not have gotten our wish, many Many people have gotten there's, and that's truly a wonderful thing. After all, isn't that was Geno is all about, making wishes come true?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Judging from the replies, it is the end so I used my goodbye to repeat this

Well Genbros, this is it. This is end. Ultimate is finally over.

I'm going to be brutally honest. This is one of the worst experiences with any game regarding this "train journey ride" or whatever you call it. The toxicity, death threats, drama, P*do debacle in 2020, the lame unfunny memes etc. It was horrible, you can't even like or support characters without being hated on these days. One of the main reasons why I have issues with calling Smash "a celebration of gaming" and not just a fun, simple crossover with gaming characters like the days of Melee and Brawl.

Doesn't help with the fact that overall DLC was underwhelming from variety and quantity( And no, Geno in there wouldn't change much). It focused way too much on fighters(mostly humans too, no animal, robots, cartoony etc or even genres other than JRPGs and few fighting characters). Vol.2 on its own would've been enough. Imagine if we got a Story Mode DLC/WoL Expansion with too, there was so much potential with that especially with the SE + Sora trailers which was just left there to rot basically. Just quantity with a horrible cycle.

You guys should understand all of this especially on Dec 2020 with the Geno Hate, Thread Cancellation, the poor mii costume, the crushed chances and neglect from Nintendo and SE etc.

As cool as Sora was, I can't really say I was anywhere near satisfied or concluded at the end. I was feeling a wave of disappointment flowing through me for the whole presentation and it really sucks to feel this towards the Ultimate Smash Title. The best one in the series. A game that will never, ever happen to this extent and I hate it so much.

Oh well, the main question to really ask is:

Where do we, as Geno and Smash fans alike, go from here?
To wrap up, I recall seeing someone in these threads some time ago say something that has been quite impactful on me in regards to characters getting in Smash.

"It's a dream come true.

Just not my dream."

So while we're here in the final hours of this forum space I'd like to reflect that while we may not have gotten our wish, many Many people have gotten there's, and that's truly a wonderful thing. After all, isn't that was Geno is all about, making wishes come true?
That's fine and dandy but we ain't other people so it doesn't do much for us in the long term. Not saying it's a bad thing but still. I see this repeated quite a lot so i'm just adding my 2 cents.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
TerminalMontage drew all of the Smash Ultimate characters and several others (Geno included) in his own art style, which is used in the Something About videos.

Seeing as he's a prominent Geno fan, I figured it's worth mentioning.
One last Terminal Montage vid to close off the thread, can't think of anything more perfect!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I should be working on a Mario RPG related thread just for anyone on Smashboards wants to continue discussing Mario RPG related topics and about those characters (Geno, Paper Mario, Fawful etc) so that might be helpful, but I wanted to shed light one more time on these various places and ongoing projects relating to Geno and Super Mario RPG.

-

Places to Hang Out

Operation StarFall
A great Twitter handle that shares fan driven Super Mario RPG content including art, music, game mods etc. Definitely a place I recommend you follow if you want to continue seeing and supporting Geno

Star Road Discord
An entire Discord server for Super Mario RPG. How cool is that!
Invite Link: https://discord.gg/GywS2yq

Mario RPG Central
This is another good Discord server that talks about all Mario RPG games (SMRPG, Paper Mario, M&L, Mario + Rabbids etc)
Discord Invite Link: https://discord.gg/nY6rJua

Games/Fan Projects to Check Out:

Another Crusade/ Dragon Vein Studios
This is a game being created by Dragon Vein Studios. It's a game heavily inspired by Super Mario RPG and sets out to play just like something you would expect from Super Mario RPG. This is a really small studio who is hard at work at their game and have plenty of playable builds where you can provide feedback on. I heavily encourage supporting these guys!
Gameplay Trailer: https://youtu.be/Fg4w0fGOPNk
Discord Invite Link: discord.gg/79MFphJ

Rivals of Aether Workshop Geno
Created by Nackles42, Geno is a fully playable character in Rivals of Aether. He is even tournament viable in the Workshop series!

Geno Mii Gunner Mod
Spearheaded by Toshin with assests provided by SeanHicks, Geno is being worked on as a fully realized character using the Mii Gunner as a base template

Friday Night RPG: Legend of the 7 Weeks
This is still currently in development but this is going to be a really well put together Friday Night Funkin mod when it's fully completed. A Demo of the first week is currently available for anyone interested in checking it out

-

Until then, hope to see everyone around and thanks for everything!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Last time to post here. Geno may not have gotten in, but hey, we still got an incredible game with Utlimate and several fan favorite characters. At the end of the day, Geno will still have a place in the hearts and minds of those who still care about his character, and maybe one day, he will make a big comeback, even if it's not Smash.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
People shouldn't feel as if they need to leave Smashboards for good. You are more than welcome to stay.

I have gone ahead and created a General Thread for Mario RPG discussion post Smash Speculation if you guys want to continue talking about Geno or any of the Mario RPGs.

This would be the first thing I spearheaded since passing the torch with Operation StarFall. It just feels to keep Geno's presence alive within Smashboards since this has been the only real forum I have called home. Hope you guys get a chance to consider checking it out!

Top Bottom