• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I am not entirely sure, but wasn't the Geno and Mallow spirits represented under the Mario series?
It was represented as smash x Smrpg. However because the series was already introduced I doubt he’ll appear as fp5.
Because he’s owned by square, I doubt he’ll be free bonus dlc now that I think about it.
If we do get another pass, I see his arrival being somewhat in the middle like banjo was.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
To be honest if I could choose a victory theme for Geno it wouldn't be Super Mario RPG's victory theme, but a small rendition of SMRPG's intro music made to work as a victory fanfare. The best section being the part where Geno is introduced to us in the intro where he nods his head (from 2:03 to 2:07) I think it would work perfectly and represent both Geno and SMRPG nicely.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
To be honest if I could choose a victory theme for Geno it wouldn't be Super Mario RPG's victory theme, but a small rendition of SMRPG's intro music made to work as a victory fanfare. The best section being the part where Geno is introduced to us in the intro where he nods his head (from 2:03 to 2:07) I think it would work perfectly and represent both Geno and SMRPG nicely.

Geno,
Wins!

I really want to hear that :yeahboi:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if Nintendo could get the rights for Geno to be a mii costume, why not a fighter? I have a hard time believing that there is a legal/rights reason why he couldn't be added as a playable fighter. If he doesn't make it in by the end of this DLC cycle, then I'll be convinced that either Nintendo, Sakurai or SE explicitly DOES NOT want him in the game.
Is there any difference legally/financially from obtaining use of the intellectual property to use as a spirit and using it as a playable fighter?
Because if not, they already have Geno's rights due to acquiring him for the Spirit and would have to spend exactly $0.00 and go through no red tape to begin Geno's development.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Yes, both Geno and Mallow have that dumb mushroom logo watermarked in the background of their spirits. It's very safe to say that if he gets put in as a character, he's coming with that logo.

This is still my biggest problem, my biggest source of not believing in Geno's chances 100%. You give us a Mii costume for a beloved character that you later claim to have wanted to put into the game since Brawl, show him off next to Cloud, the most wild pick imaginable... and then he comes back in the next game as a PNG while Ridley and K. Rool and even Isabelle are in the base roster. Then you mix this with how Sakurai's comments regarding getting Dragon Quest content makes SquareEnix look like they're not hard at all to work with, and there probably wouldn't have been an issue getting Geno in as a base roster character at all. And then put the cherry on top - there's a possibility this was all the DLC we were getting, and chances are extremely high that Geno is not fighter 5.

Someone over in the discord said that Sakurai probably doesn't want Geno except for the fans' sake and honestly I believe it. I'm fairly certain interview Sakurai was full of ****, he doesn't think Geno's cool and he probably never once attempted to put Geno in the game.
Sad to admit, but I totally agree with you. While my earlier points lean towards the positive, you have a very good point that what Sakurai said and what he's done seem to conflict. Given what he's been able to achieve thus far, I HIGHLY doubt that there's a character he couldn't get if he genuinely wanted them. I know some people will defend Sakurai to the grave, but I'm telling you right now, if Geno doesn't get in, it's because Sakurai willed it so. And by extension, as long as he remains director of the series, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I really hope I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

Yes, both Geno and Mallow have that dumb mushroom logo watermarked in the background of their spirits. It's very safe to say that if he gets put in as a character, he's coming with that logo.

This is still my biggest problem, my biggest source of not believing in Geno's chances 100%. You give us a Mii costume for a beloved character that you later claim to have wanted to put into the game since Brawl, show him off next to Cloud, the most wild pick imaginable... and then he comes back in the next game as a PNG while Ridley and K. Rool and even Isabelle are in the base roster. Then you mix this with how Sakurai's comments regarding getting Dragon Quest content makes SquareEnix look like they're not hard at all to work with, and there probably wouldn't have been an issue getting Geno in as a base roster character at all. And then put the cherry on top - there's a possibility this was all the DLC we were getting, and chances are extremely high that Geno is not fighter 5.

Someone over in the discord said that Sakurai probably doesn't want Geno except for the fans' sake and honestly I believe it. I'm fairly certain interview Sakurai was full of ****, he doesn't think Geno's cool and he probably never once attempted to put Geno in the game.
I mean, I don’t think Square Enix would be that comfortable if Geno gets in before FF and DQ. If 2B is the next Square rep, then it confirms that the Sakurai Geno interview was nothing but fake PR or Square didn’t want him playable. This time, no excuses. Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640

I feel like it's the obvious choice, but I've always imagined Geno's victory theme would just be the first nine notes of "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" holding on the final note until the animation finishes.
To crappily render it in text it'd be someting like: Doodoo doodoodoo doo doo doo doooo

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking victory themes, I'd go for the battle won jingle, or for me, a leitmotif of the drumroll before the basic battle music plays following the victory jingle.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I don’t think Square Enix would be that comfortable if Geno gets in before FF and DQ. If 2B is the next Square rep, then it confirms that the Sakurai Geno interview was nothing but fake PR or Square didn’t want him playable. This time, no excuses. Put your money where your mouth is.
If everyone's so right about how Square just loves money and that's the bottom line, you tell me which is the more likely scenario:
1. You work with Nintendo to negotiate the rights for Cloud Strife to appear in Super Smash Bros, along with Midgar, the central location for legendary JRPG Final Fantasy 7, as well as negotiating the rights for music so that you can get paid for his appearance in the game.
2. You work with Nintendo to include a character that you created for their video game, who is part of a previously existing franchise in Smash and therefore doesn't actually need his own stage or music, but you still get paid as much for his appearance in the game.

I dunno, seems like the obvious choice is to take the easiest path to cash money. Especially for Smash 4? By the time they were developing Cloud there's no question that Sakurai and team informed Square Enix that Smash 4 was secretly terminally ill and would be replaced within a few years. Why not go ahead and just dump a character that for all intents and purposes shouldn't even be yours on the game and say "we'll put Cloud and Dragon Quest in DLC for the next one, which will undeniably make us more money"?

It's completely backwards unless you consider that Sakurai himself is the one who wanted Cloud first, and Dragon Quest first. Honestly, it'll probably continue to be that way. Sakurai thinks he's a funny guy putting Piranha Plant in the game while at the same time thinking he's got some kind of mission to put as many huge names into a game that was originally supposed to be celebrating Nintendo's history, rather than advertising third party franchises, several of which have almost nothing to do with Nintendo's history and one of which was an active harm to Nintendo's success during two console generations.

Maybe it's the lack of any kind of solid news and how much we seem to chase our own tail over the tiniest rumor that probably means almost nothing but I'm falling into the depths of cynicism again. It's gotten to the point where I feel like Sakurai's statement about how additional DLC is an opportunity to "delight the fans" just means fans of Super Smash Bros because the truth of the matter is you could put any character into the game and "delight the fans" at large, especially when you remember that Sakurai thinks that **** like assist trophies and spirits "delight the fans".

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

while Ridley and K. Rool and even Isabelle are in the base roster.
even Isabelle
*anime plus sign thing appears on forehead*
The base roster was very limited in terms of newcomers due to the amount of returning fighters and stages. So the newcomers were
1. Inkling (Splatoon is the new hotness)
2. Ridley (Probably the longest requested Smash character ever, and the main recurring villain in a series they’re trying to bring back)
3. Simon (Another classic 3rd party rep)
4. K Rool (easily the most out there, the main villain in the older DK games but he’s been out of work for a while and they even said fan demand got him in)
6. Incineroar (new Pokémon, most popular starter in Japan)

And yes,
5. Isabelle
The most popular character in what has become one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises. There’s a reason (quality notwithstanding) Animal Crossing has a mobile game and Kirby doesn’t, and I really can’t imagine why people think Isabelle wasn’t an obvious pick.

None of those seem like characters that don’t “deserve” to be in Smash, and then the DLC comes and, well, it seems like we’re getting one character per company for pass 1 so, however much Sakurai likes Geno, what Japanese developer wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to put Dragon Quest content in? And yeah, if this had been the only Fighters Pass the dream would’ve probably been dead, but we’re getting more DLC literally due to fan demand, and we haven’t seen that costume yet so I see no reason to get defeatist about things yet when Geno is carried on fan demand.

Yes, if there had been no DLC Geno would only be a spirit. Yes, if there was only one season of DLC he probably would still be a costume. But neither of those are the reality we’re in and taking the stance that Sakurai hates Geno because of those is, frankly, absolutely ridiculous. “Oh, Sakurai didn’t put ANOTHER fan requested character in the base roster, he must hate them!” Give me a ****ing break.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
The base roster was very limited in terms of newcomers due to the amount of returning fighters and stages. So the newcomers were
2. Ridley (Probably the longest requested Smash character ever, and the main recurring villain in a series they’re trying to bring back)
4. K Rool (easily the most out there, the main villain in the older DK games but he’s been out of work for a while and they even said fan demand got him in)

And yes,
5. Isabelle
The most popular character in what has become one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises. There’s a reason (quality notwithstanding) Animal Crossing has a mobile game and Kirby doesn’t, and I really can’t imagine why people think Isabelle wasn’t an obvious pick.

None of those seem like characters that don’t “deserve” to be in Smash, and then the DLC comes and, well, it seems like we’re getting one character per company for pass 1 so, however much Sakurai likes Geno, what Japanese developer wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to put Dragon Quest content in? And yeah, if this had been the only Fighters Pass the dream would’ve probably been dead, but we’re getting more DLC literally due to fan demand, and we haven’t seen that costume yet so I see no reason to get defeatist about things yet when Geno is carried on fan demand.

Yes, if there had been no DLC Geno would only be a spirit. Yes, if there was only one season of DLC he probably would still be a costume. But neither of those are the reality we’re in and taking the stance that Sakurai hates Geno because of those is, frankly, absolutely ridiculous. “Oh, Sakurai didn’t put ANOTHER fan requested character in the base roster, he must hate them!” Give me a ****ing break.

Also something I would like to add is that Sakurai has show he likes Geno outside of that interview. Remember he liked that fan made Geno toy on Instagram back in the smash 4 days. I’m not saying that means he’s a lock or anything but it does at least show he likes Geno.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
What Sakurai Said: "If the character is fun to play is more important than if the character is new or old or if the character is recognizable by everyone."
What I heard: "Geno is gonna be so cool to play as, just hang tight a bit longer fellas."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And yes,
5. Isabelle

If you think I need some kind of explanation for why Ridley and K. Rool are in the game right now take a step back, the only explanation needed is why they weren't there earlier, I guess for Sakurai to make some kind of bull**** claim about how Ridley's too big, like he didn't take smaller than a AAA battery Olimar and make him as big as Pikachu just for the sake of adding him to Smash, like he himself didn't post something along the lines of "Scale takes a back seat in Smash bros" while doing the Dojo posts for Smash 4.

The best reason I can give you why Isabelle wasn't an obvious pick is because Villager was already a stretch and I think only the people who wanted Isabelle were ok with thinking that she'd make it in as a semi-clone of Villager. She was perfectly represented being a sideline character throwing fruit and cheering you on, it's like arguing that Mr. Resetti has any potential as a character when his entire character is to yell at you for cheating. I guess the floodgates are open, now, of course, and low-effort half clone Animal Crossing characters are totally acceptable to consider as full roster additions, we may as well welcome it with open arms as the new Fire Emblem and see Resetti and Tom Nook join the fray with approximately the same moveset.

Really at this point I hope Geno's #5 just to prove everything I said wrong so I can feel like a turbo heel and cry and apologize for the stuff I've said and thought but I'm leaning towards not just the massive disappointment of Geno being later or never rather than sooner but even Fighter 5's reveal being put off until the new year.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Really at this point I hope Geno's #5 just to prove everything I said wrong so I can feel like a turbo heel and cry and apologize for the stuff I've said and thought but I'm leaning towards not just the massive disappointment of Geno being later or never rather than sooner but even Fighter 5's reveal being put off until the new year.
You need to take a take a step back or take a break from speculation if it's got you so cynical. No disrespect intended.
Geno's still got good chances if you look at the forest (maze) for the trees, and besides, Smash is still a great game even if he doesn't make it in.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
If you think I need some kind of explanation for why Ridley and K. Rool are in the game right now take a step back, the only explanation needed is why they weren't there earlier, I guess for Sakurai to make some kind of bull**** claim about how Ridley's too big, like he didn't take smaller than a AAA battery Olimar and make him as big as Pikachu just for the sake of adding him to Smash, like he himself didn't post something along the lines of "Scale takes a back seat in Smash bros" while doing the Dojo posts for Smash 4.

The best reason I can give you why Isabelle wasn't an obvious pick is because Villager was already a stretch and I think only the people who wanted Isabelle were ok with thinking that she'd make it in as a semi-clone of Villager. She was perfectly represented being a sideline character throwing fruit and cheering you on, it's like arguing that Mr. Resetti has any potential as a character when his entire character is to yell at you for cheating. I guess the floodgates are open, now, of course, and low-effort half clone Animal Crossing characters are totally acceptable to consider as full roster additions, we may as well welcome it with open arms as the new Fire Emblem and see Resetti and Tom Nook join the fray with approximately the same moveset.

Oh yeah I’m totally in agreement that Ridley and K Rool should’ve been in, like, Brawl.

It’s interesting that back before Isabelle existed I remember Tom Nook being the most common Animal Crossing rep request, at least from what I saw. I don’t know why people didn’t really bring up “Villager” then.

Geno being 5 would definitely throw a lot of our speculation with “Power of 6” and “leaks” and whatnot out the window lol

Firox

Smash Master
Unfortunately, if Geno gets lumped in with the "Mushroom gang", I'm not sure he'd be treated as third party and thus probably not come in this fighter's pass.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah I’m totally in agreement that Ridley and K Rool should’ve been in, like, Brawl.

It’s interesting that back before Isabelle existed I remember Tom Nook being the most common Animal Crossing rep request, at least from what I saw. I don’t know why people didn’t really bring up “Villager” then.

Geno being 5 would definitely throw a lot of our speculation with “Power of 6” and “leaks” and whatnot out the window lol
Tom Nook was the big pick back in the Brawl days because of the reason I give for Steve or other faceless avatar characters being bad picks. In a game where everything is randomly generated, from the way you look to your town layout to the characters you interact with on a daily basis, Tom Nook is one of the few guarantees. Before Smash 4, if you had managed to convince me that Animal Crossing was getting a rep, I would have said it was either Tom Nook, Rover, or Copper.

Unfortunately, if Geno gets lumped in with the "Mushroom gang", I'm not sure he'd be treated as third party and thus probably not come in this fighter's pass.
The only good thing I can say is that at no point should we expect the rules to mean anything or the patterns to be real. Weird that one of Geno's strengths lies in the unpredictable nature of Smash.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
That seems like a bit of a fan rule though. I don't believe a logo will be preventing someone like Geno from showing up.

D

Deleted member

I thought of something. What if Geno and Chocobo costume absence wasn’t actually a last minute decision because of more DLC decided? What if they decided all Mii costumes going within each pack? Idk it makes sense to bring Geno costume back for the fans like Rex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
That seems like a bit of a fan rule though. I don't believe a logo will be preventing someone like Geno from showing up.
I don´t think he´s saying that Geno will not show up as a fighter just because of the mushroom logo, what he is talking about is that because of the logo Geno would be threated as a first party and thus not appear on this current fighter pass until post pass dlc

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
If everyone's so right about how Square just loves money and that's the bottom line, you tell me It's gotten to the point where I feel like Sakurai's statement about how additional DLC is an opportunity to "delight the fans" just means fans of Super Smash Bros because the truth of the matter is you could put any character into the game and "delight the fans" at large, especially when you remember that Sakurai thinks that **** like assist trophies and spirits "delight the fans".
This is.... a really silly post. It's conspiratorial and entitled.

Sakurai has no reason to lie and pretend he likes any character. He's also a cog in a machine made of many, many, many larger, more powerful cogs. Not every decision is his, alone. The fact that he's gotten this far with Smash is a damn miracle.

And to an extent, Assists and Spirits DO delight the fans. I love to see how deep they do with the lore of all of these franchises.

So chill.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I thought of something. What if Geno and Chocobo costume absence wasn’t actually a last minute decision because of more DLC decided? What if they decided all Mii costumes going within each pack? Idk it makes sense to bring Geno costume back for the fans like Rex.
That is some speculation that comes with the power of 6 costome theory. If they decided on more DLC after seeing the preorder sales of the overall pack and Joker, it would fit.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
That is some speculation that comes with the power of 6 costome theory. If they decided on more DLC after seeing the preorder sales of the overall pack and Joker, it would fit.
If King K Rool is both a fighter and a mii costume this time around maybe they´re going to do the same with Geno?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don´t think he´s saying that Geno will not show up as a fighter just because of the mushroom logo, what he is talking about is that because of the logo Geno would be threated as a first party and thus not appear on this current fighter pass until post pass dlc
I see. That could be the case but I think it would have been no different than the earlier notion that he was not planned for this fighter's pass because of the WoL Spirit.

Thanks for clarifying

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to make it a rule or anything. I'm just trying to connect the dots. From what we know, Geno's icon will likely be the Mario franchise mushroom. I still think Geno would count as a third party though, and considering that this fighter's pass seems to be 100% third party, he could still have a chance. However, as Serenade said, Smash kinda throws logic and reason to the wind, so I guess any attempts to find a pattern are pointless anyway.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

If King K Rool is both a fighter and a mii costume this time around maybe they´re going to do the same with Geno?
This is very possible. Also, aren't Chrom and some other newly added characters in the same boat?

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I see. That could be the case but I think it would have been no different than the earlier notion that he was not planned for this fighter's pass because of the WoL Spirit.

Thanks for clarifying
Yeah you´re right, but now that i think about it with the whole WoL stuff about spirits it would make sense for Geno to have "promotion" since he´s basically a star possesing a puppet similar to how spirits do the same thing in the story mode. i think that if they don´t add him this time around it would be a missed opportunity

No problem!

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
are yall really hitting the "Sakurai doesnt even want Geno" station already? . Hell, I may not wamt geno myself but why would Sakurai lie about a character he wanted to put in years ago?
I mean. Some fans lose their optimism sometimes (that's the tricky thing about having the same hope for 10+ years) but it is definitely not a majority opinion here that "Sakurai doesn't even want Geno"

Edit: I see you responded to this already, didn't mean to pile on. Haha apologies!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

sakurai doesn't even like nintendo
it's all a trick
a ploy
a conspiracy

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
I'm super late on the Cacomallow hat and how people try to recreate it topic but I'm gonna share my obvious 2 cents anyway

No one knows how to compress the files in the same way Bamco does it. Literally no one. I'm not a modder but I played enough games made by Bandai Namco on both mobiles and consoles to know that these guys are beasts when it comes to compressing. I believe that no one had tried to make the same compression tool and these recreations only add more fuel to the leak

sakurai doesn't even like nintendo
it's all a trick
a ploy
a conspiracy
Sakurai likes Microsoft now. Pls buy Xbox Series X

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I wasn't trying to make it a rule or anything. I'm just trying to connect the dots. From what we know, Geno's icon will likely be the Mario franchise mushroom. I still think Geno would count as a third party though, and considering that this fighter's pass seems to be 100% third party, he could still have a chance. However, as Serenade said, Smash kinda throws logic and reason to the wind, so I guess any attempts to find a pattern are pointless anyway.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

This is very possible. Also, aren't Chrom and some other newly added characters in the same boat?
I think so, even if a leaker came out and said that the Mii Costume would come back i don´t think we should take that as "that´s it, Geno´s dead everyone" (unless that person specifically says that he´s out of the running of course) because it could very well end up coming with Geno as a fighter too

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Edit: I see you responded to this already, didn't mean to pile on. Haha apologies!
lol nah its ok, I should of changed up the words when I typed it out
That makes sense. I often open and end my sentences with specific phrases even when they are not neccary, so I can relate.
Ive aaid yall ever since I was a kid so its hard to kick it lol but yeah, I dont think its good to say Sakurai didnt even want Geno just because he is a spirit right now.

DeputyDalmatian

Smash Cadet
I don’t mean to be the guy who promotes false hope; but one thing I was thinking, realistically it’s possible Geno is fighter 5 right? I think there’s a timeline where all the leakers/insiders got hoodwinked and Geno catches everyone off guard, celebrating what would have been the final character in a pass for a game dedicated to everyone’s favorites. I’m not suggesting we count on it—just positing the theory it’s possible :)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I don’t mean to be the guy who promotes false hope; but one thing I was thinking, realistically it’s possible Geno is fighter 5 right? I think there’s a timeline where all the leakers/insiders got hoodwinked and Geno catches everyone off guard, celebrating what would have been the final character in a pass for a game dedicated to everyone’s favorites. I’m not suggesting we count on it—just positing the theory it’s possible :)
Anything is possible. ♡

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
How did you travel to that timeline and how can i do that too?

Firox

Smash Master
I personally wouldn't say that Sakurai flat out doesn't want Geno in Smash, however, given the fact that Geno STILL isn't in, I find it hard to prove that he's ADAMANT about the prospect. Or rather, I imagine some previous obstacles to be SE insisting on their bigger franchises to get in first, which honestly seems reasonable from their perspective. Alongside this, it would be easy to say that his desire to put in Geno is more casual and likely far less passionate than this inclusion of Joker and Terry (which we have solid, inarguable proof of his fandom).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very positive for Geno (75-80% chance he's in), but I'm withholding judgement until this DLC cycle is at an end. If Geno gets in, then Sakurai was true to claim, the fans were heard, and we'll all be the proud owner of a shiny new star warrior puppet. If not, Sakurai's priority of Geno will be evidently lower than we thought and it will therefore be proven through his actions rather than his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom