• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No, Nintendo said their wouldn't be announcements regarding unreveald fighters. That's completely different and I willing to bet that fatman is on to something and there will be somthing nice.
Oh, nevermind. From the context I thought by "something" you meant something related to a new fighter.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
i honestly think we might get a new fighter.. probably phoenix
also, i had a dream where Geno got revealed at the game awards, then another trailer starts up, revaling Doomguy, and then, as doomguy is getting overwhelmed by dark realm fighters, shadow shows up and gets revealed as a character
yeah, i wish

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You all are so silly. None of you know how to stay hype and you constantly expect the worst.

First off, translation issues exist.

Secondly, the LAST time there was a 40-some minute Smash session, even after diving all the details of options that weren't REALLY necessary, we still came out with three characters, the main mode, and an epic story trailer!

Thirdly, this is Sakurai's wild ride. We will see what he decides we will see. He could very well just tell us all the new characters that are planned after that Fighter's Pass!

Finally, it's not information on unrevealed fighters if Sakurai reveals them first...

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I've literally just given up trying to keep up with the thread right now. Not that that's a bad thing. Also, I was wondering what y'all would think if we got a Bethesda rep with the cacodemon Mii but it wasn't Doomslayer.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
exactly
although, we could get a boss rush mode, and a WoL expansion. That would be sick

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Personally I'm only entertaining the idea because if they're just using tricky language then no one will ever believe anything they say ever again. I still think 45 minutes on Terry and 6.0 is completely ridiculous and real or no I'm going to be pretty pissed if I end up losing an hour of my day just because sakurai couldn't keep it his pants this time around. Tbh having 3/4 reveals so far be characters he is very explicitly a huge fan of is extremely suspicious. He has to have more sway than he's willing to admit.

Last edited:

Wish7s

Smash Cadet
I definitely believe Nintendo saying there's no characters coming tomorrow but it does seem quite odd of them to announce specifically that there's nobody coming tomorrow, seems like a weird thing to announce and something they're never done before

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sakurai just wants to fanboy out about SNK for 45 minutes. Let the dude do it.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I was about to bring this up. Why is Nintendo so adamant on telling us that no news on new fighters is coming? They didn't do that for the last 3 DLC fighter showcases.
Probably because the last 3 didn’t need the warning.
Joker’s came outta nowhere
Hero’s was focused on DQ (and we knew about Banjo)
Banjo was following the direct with Terry’s trailer

D

Deleted member

yeah I don't believe that Sakurai is lying the dude probably just has a lot of history and experience with Fatal Fury and wants to gush over how big of a fanboy he is and I don't blame him everyone has one or two series if not more series they like and would do that over.

I'm probably going to skip the presentation tomorrow though as I'm not going to make an alarm or anything so unless I miraculously wake up before then I'll just catch it afterwards. Terry just never really interested me even though I'm sure he'll have a lot of love and care put into him.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm thinking it's just Terry like they said, and the arcade pad and possibly a new mode or updates on version 6.0 and just hangin' out with Sakurai. It is supposed to be a livestream after all. I'm willing to tune in just to hang out and see what Sakurai is up to - I'd like to hear interesting stories or talking points that are worth considering - maybe even further mention how he'd like to handle future DLC without going too much into detail on any characters. Either way, it's not something that comes up often so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So I remember hearing that it was supposed to be live streamed instead of just being uploaded. Can someone confirm this real quick?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's a weird situation. Has something like this ever happened in terms of Smash? I don't remember Nintendo doing anything about the Ken leak either, did they? Maybe their strategy really is to just ignore it lol
They took down the ESRB video leaks from the leaker himself on youtube, but they never did anything to the videos with people showing off and discussing the Ken image, not even GameXplain's. I don't think they took down GameXplain's ESRB leak videos, either; RelaxAlax and some others have videos that include the ESRB leak's gameplay, with the videos being up before Smash 4's release, so maybe Nintendo's systems are also automated and ignore videos that have more stuff than just the gameplay footage, if they even have systems for that stuff set up currently.

It might be because this leak comes from 4chan, and they can't do anything about it without people just re-uploading it and constantly sharing it. They may have also realized that taking down a leak just confirms to everyone paying attention that it's real.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I hope people don't try to shame people and do the whole finger wagging thing if people here say the direct ended up being disappointing for being 45 minutes and just all about Terry and the mii costumes. Like SNK mii costumes and Terry are cool, and I understand if they want to leave reveals for the future (TGA )but to have nothing but that for 45 minutes seems like just way too little content for what will literally be the longest Smash direct ever. I don't even expect them to reveal Geno at all until at least the TGAs even if he is the first post-FP character.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Sakurai will spend 30+ minutes styling on CPU characters like he did to that one CPU during the hero video

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I hope people don't try to shame people and do the whole finger wagging thing if people here say the direct ended up being disappointing for being 45 minutes and just all about Terry and the mii costumes. Like SNK mii costumes and Terry are cool, and I understand if they want to leave reveals for the future (TGA )but to have nothing like that for 45 minutes seems like just way too little content for what will literally be the longest Smash direct ever. I don't even expect them to reveal Geno at all until at least the TGAs even if he is the first post-FP character.
There's gonna be finger wagging no matter what.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
At the end of the video, I am curious if Terry's Mii Costume Show will be a mix of franchises like Banjo's OR keep it in house.

They got a mix of things, like Metal Slug for Mii Gunner and Samurai Showdown for Mii Swordsman.

I personally am leaning towards their own brands like Joker's and Hero's since Banjo's was different since he is from a competitor's studios. SNK is not, like Sega/Atlus and SquareEnix.

... Time will tell.

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
if people here say the direct ended up being disappointing for being 45 minutes
Keep in mind that it's not a "Nintendo Direct" or "Smash Direct". They're simply showing off Terry and probably other 6.0 stuff. They didn't announce a new character when they were showing off Banjo, Terry got announced in the Nintendo Direct before that Banjo showcase.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
that's not going to happen.
sakurai knows the expectations going into each of these videos
he wouldn't just nerd out for 45 minutes without giving us some new modes

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
that's not going to happen.
sakurai knows the expectations going into each of these videos
he wouldn't just nerd out for 45 minutes without giving us some new modes
No, he definitely would.

Let's stop waving this false narrative around, here. He specifically lowered our expectations. It's our fault if we expect more.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
If you were Nintendo, wouldn't you not want to deconfirm a potential character reveal? Sure, some people would get let down, but with there being a "chance" you'll probably get more viewers. dunno.

(Wait, wasn't the announcement called a "video livestream"? Is this pre-recorded? Like, a livestream of a video? Or am I just misunderstanding their wording? I dunno, because we see Sakurai holding a controller, smiling, unless he specifically posed this way for the announcement.)

1572982132698.png

1572982191261.png

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Having slept and had time to simmer down, and by simmer down I mean let the Hype naturally flow and come to a solid resting point, I thought through my prior stance on Nintendo potentially lying about the content in this presentation.

Let's say I believe that Nintendo is telling the truth, now.

With that in mind, I don't think we'll see the leaked Mii Costumes (Mallow/Cacodemon) at all. It wouldn't make sense to show them right now. They'll probably be saved for future reveals where they are more fitting.

So, of the three leaks mentioned that benefit us thus far (The Mii Costume list given to PapaGenos, the Frogger Leak, and the Doomallow leak (lol), only the Frogger Leak can be really affected at this time (Confirmed or disconfirmed).

No, he definitely would.

Let's stop waving this false narrative around, here. He specifically lowered our expectations. It's our fault if we expect more.
The only expectations that were lowered here are in regards to unrevealed characters. 3DSNinja 3DSNinja only mentioned new modes, and wouldn't be at fault for expecting something like that given the timeframe.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's curious how they're going to pace the next reveal; if they'll save it for later this month or the next, and if they'll want to reveal the first DLC outside of the pass shortly after.

At the very least it's been an exciting couple of days, and I'm sure there will be more to talk about soon after tomorrow, and if we hear back from any insiders about this or anything else crops up.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
No, he definitely would.

I agree tempering expectations is a good idea, but I don't think it's out of the question that a mode could show up. Not saying it definitively of course, just saying.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Having slept and had time to simmer down, and by simmer down I mean let the Hype naturally flow and come to a solid resting point, I thought through my prior stance on Nintendo potentially lying about the content in this presentation.

Let's say I believe that Nintendo is telling the truth, now.

With that in mind, I don't think we'll see the leaked Mii Costumes (Mallow/Cacodemon) at all. It wouldn't make sense to show them right now. They'll probably be saved for future reveals where they are more fitting.

So, of the three leaks mentioned that benefit us thus far (The Mii Costume list given to PapaGenos, the Frogger Leak, and the Doomallow leak (lol), only the Frogger Leak can be really affected at this time (Confirmed or disconfirmed).

The only expectations that were lowered here are in regards to unrevealed characters. 3DSNinja 3DSNinja only mentioned new modes, and wouldn't be at fault for expecting something like that given the timeframe.
I agree tempering expectations is a good idea, but I don't think it's out of the question that a mode could show up. Not saying it definitively of course, just saying.
Considering Sakurai said home-run contest is the last new mode, sure seems out of the question to me.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don’t think they’ve ever needed to make this statement before because the new character was always announced in the direct before the Sakurai presentation. This one isn’t tied to a direct. So I feel like that might be why they needed to make it more clear,

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Hey dudes orientation went well. I’m guessing no updates from Sabi or anything? I’m thinking of skipping the stream personally. Hopefully some interesting Mii costumes come since my faith in Smash Run returning is very low.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Considering Sakurai said home-run contest is the last new mode, sure seems out of the question to me.
When he said it was the last new mode, he used the phrase "pretty much." That phrase made the idea of HRC being the last mode somewhat ambiguous, and potentially untrue.

Given the fact that later on, a datamine would find the name "Slipspace" in the files for a new mode leaves the idea that HRC might NOT be the last mode. This fact is important because dataminers saw the files for HRC a long time ago, before Stage Builder was announced. (And even further than that, Stage Builder was with HRC in the files when they found it).

But again, to be much more concise with the topic, the announcement of this presentation specifically said information in regards to unrevealed characters wasn't happening. A new mode is absolutely fair game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"pretty much the last new mode" combined with a datamined mode makes people suspect otherwise.

I can personally live without these game modes, but I understand why people would want them and why some might expect one last mode.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The home run contest, if I recall correctly was a bit more ambiguous. What with "probably" being used in the statement. It seemed to imply they might be considering another mode. I'm not expecting anything other than terry, mind you, but I'm not ruling out another mode entirely

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay, I'm usually one who gets annoyed at "hype police", and I usually agree with people who say it's not their job to temper expectations. But Nintendo literally straight up said there will be no information on unrevealed fighters. As much as I wish it weren't true, you have to be in legit denial to go in expecting fighter reveals.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
It sucks but I have to admit that Nintendo being straight with us about no new character reveals seems like the fairest course of action. How much more screwed up would it be if we all spent two days drooling over prospective reveals only to come up bone dry? At least this way we have only ourselves to blame if we don't get anything extra. It's best we go into this with relatively low expectations so that we can hype ourselves to the moon if we get more.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’ve been too lazy to log back in, but I have decided to join once again! I usually only come back on here when stuff gets interesting, as rude as that may be.

I don’t have much to say actually, most of what I’ve wanted to say has been said. I do really like all the new Geno art/memes, especially the ones that include DoomGuy! Keep fighting the good fight everyone!

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I can't imagine the content we know is coming taking 45 minutes, unless there's like a very extended demo of Sakurai playing as Terry. If that's so, then with all due respect, it is a bit of a waste of my time lol.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I just find it weird that they’ve said it’s gonna be 45 minutes of Terry, but it’s all being live-streamed instead of just uploaded like Hero’s. I mean, I guess new modes could be surprising but I’m not really expecting any. I’m predicting we might get a Smash direct announcement of some kind at the end, whether it be a tiny livestream like how Robin/Lucina were revealed only showing #5, or a full 15-20 minute thing.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This is what I'm hoping for.
I just find it weird that they’ve said it’s gonna be 45 minutes of Terry, but it’s all being live-streamed instead of just uploaded like Hero’s. I mean, I guess new modes could be surprising but I’m not really expecting any. I’m predicting we might get a Smash direct announcement of some kind at the end, whether it be a tiny livestream like how Robin/Lucina were revealed only showing #5, or a full 15-20 minute thing.

Firox

Smash Master
I can't imagine the content we know is coming taking 45 minutes, unless there's like a very extended demo of Sakurai playing as Terry. If that's so, then with all due respect, it is a bit of a waste of my time lol.
I don't know what, but I'm betting we're in for something HUGE. There's no why Sakurai could spend 45 minutes macking on SNK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom