• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I kind of hope that the additional DLC is going to be full of third party characters. It's just more exciting to see who will be on board with Nintendo than to know that every character will come from Nintendo.
Honestly, I couldn't care less who else gets in as long as Geno does. Everything else is just icing on the cake to me. Period.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, when it comes to Klonoa, it sounds like the new trademark is for ports. It isn't the only one of Namco's classics with a renewed trademark that includes 'encore' in the title. Mr. Driller is another one of them, and I think there were a couple more. I'm willing to bet these'll end up being port collections with Klonoa's containing Door to Phantomile and Lunatea's Veil. If that's the case, I SO hope it comes to the Switch. Playing that on the go would be primo.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
At work so making this quick.

You know you are a SMRPG nerd when you hum Here's Some Weapons when walking to your locker on break.

Now to blow some minds: Fight Against And Armed Boss and Here's Some Weapons are the same song.

Its amazing what a shift in tone can do. Life lessons by SMRPG ladies and gents.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
[
63% in an age before the internet as we know it today, where the 20% and 30% freshness ratings we see are largely a result of group bashing and shared enjoyment over the failure of a disliked product. There wasn't a Twitter for people to quickly read early reviews/spoilers to shape their perceptions and sharpen their pitchforks. The point was that Spider-Man 3 was largely disliked and tanked the franchise, a result of Sony's meddlin
There is a difference between "Twitter critics" and actual critics.

Not sure what's being argued here. Feige isn't working on the Spidey movies anymore cause Spidey's not in the MCU. That happened because Sony and Disney couldn't come to an agreement. Sony fabricated an angle about Feige not having enough time to work on Spidey, which is not true. It was meant to spare Sony backlash from backing out of the deal. Clear cut.
Your argument was basically "then why didn't they just say that upfront If thats the cause". And they could not say it upfront because that would make them look unprofessional. Also... it is clear in this situation that a mot of people didn't read the actual article but only headline and acted emotionally (not talking about you). Btw unless its from Deadline, THR, Variety or The Wrap take "news" about this thing with a massive train of BS

The licensing bit is actually a fair point I hadn't considered, but it's still a rough one. Per your examples, Mysterio and Vulture are so entwined into MCU continuity that it'd be very difficult to use them outside of that context to begin with.

As for picking Holland... Marvel were the ones who conducted his screen tests. He was tested alongside Evans and RDJ specifically to see how he'd stack up against them. The casting choice of a younger Peter was a result of Feige's vision for the new Spidey franchise to be like the Harry Potter films, where you see the characters age up into adults and the audience can grow up with them.
Still doesn't change the fact that Holland is under contract by Sony and they are in the rights to use Keatons Vulture and Jakes Mysterio if they so want without Disney being able to stop them because Sony were the only one that paid for the Spiderman movies etc

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
OK, guys, can we just agree that losing Spider-man from the MCU really sucked? You've both brought up some good points, but at the end of the day, two hyper-greedy companies couldn't play nice and share. I just hope that either Sony and Disney finally come around and bring Spidey back to the MCU, or at least have Tom Holland's Spidey actually show up in the next Venom movie. I gotta say, I'd totally pay money to see the new Spidey team up with Venom to fight Carnage. Toms Unite!

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'm getting tired of hearing some people talk about spider-man and the problems for his rights. can we just continue talking about geno instead?

D

Deleted member

Guess I forgot to mention that.
Yeah that's what us in the business call an "important detail". Klonoabros have my well wishes but not before Geno, sorry not sorry.

Honestly, I couldn't care less who else gets in as long as Geno does. Everything else is just icing on the cake to me. Period.
"Icing on the cake" is such a weird term since it implies that additions beyond what you want make the item more desirable. I'd go for "more food on the buffet", especially since Smash is an all you can eat dessert bar at this point.

I'm getting tired of hearing some people talk about spider-man and the problems for his rights. can we just continue talking about geno instead?
But don't you understand?! Geno is Spiderman

Last edited by a moderator:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh, people are talking about Spider-Man in here?

While the whole Spider-Man ordeal is concerning for the character and MCU and the whole thing sucks, even if he's to never return to the MCU, things could still kinda work out? I mean, Spider-Man was never exactly the biggest part of the MCU and was always a town-level hero, so the MCU could probably manage by with Spider-Man no problem. And as for Spider-Man films after Far From Home, as long as any Sony films don't contradict what was established in the MCU, then okie-dokie then.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I just set all the people talking about Spider Man's custody battle on ignore.
It's annoying that it found its way here and I don't need that irrelevant nonsense in my Geno thread.
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one irritated by the random inappropriate text walls about the subject.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Geno: "Wait...who are you and how did you reach the Star Road?

Nick Fury: "I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger initiative..."
Quick! Someone needs to make a meme of Geno standing with the line-up during the Endgame portals scene!

"SMASH-VENGERS!.....assemble."

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

You know you are a SMRPG nerd when you hum Here's Some Weapons when walking to your locker on break.
That song always reminded me of pirates for some reason.

I know that's almost completely irrelevant to the rest of your post, but I just wanted to put that out there.

D

Deleted member

Oh we were talking about characters that we want? I thought we were talking about who we would put in a Fighters pass 2. In that case I only really need Geno to be satisfied he's really the only huge fan request left besides Isaac (who was unfortunately disconfirmed) that I want and even if I just get Geno and nobody else on my wanted list I'm super satisfied with that.

Though I would also want/like Isaac, Rex/Pyra, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Rayman, Eggman and many others.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
It's annoying that it found its way here and I don't need that irrelevant nonsense in my Geno thread.
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one irritated by the random inappropriate text walls about the subject.
Being fair, the nature of how Disney handles negotiations regarding IP usage and whether or not they're stingey (and whether that effects the possibility of Sora, which effects the likelihood of Geno) is a hell of a lot more relevant than Dexit and some of the other topics this thread has gone on about for much longer periods of time

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now to blow some minds: Fight Against And Armed Boss and Here's Some Weapons are the same song.

Its amazing what a shift in tone can do. Life lessons by SMRPG ladies and gents.
I thought this was super obvious...

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’m essentially a 5 Geno list as well. He’s the only character I’ve really had a strong hope for all these years. There are certainly characters I’ve rooted for, Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo among them. Both Simon and Joker quickly won me over too as they introduced me to their respective series.

Beyond Geno, though, there are a few overall trends I’d like to see:

1) With Terry added, I’d love to see a one or two more fighting game icons. Smash is the greatest crossover in gaming history, it might as well be the best fighting game crossover ever as well. Smash x Street Fighter x SNK x Tekken/Soul Calibur x Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. Ryu H. would even double as a Dead or Alive rep if he makes it in.

2) With Banjo added, I’m hopeful for a couple more Western characters. Since Smash is a celebration of gaming history, I think there is a place for characters like Doom Slayer/Master Chief, Crash, Lara Croft, Sarah Kerrigan/Thrall, Rayman, Vault Boy, etc.

3) I really like how Sakurai and the dev team are experimenting with new mechanics, even if Hero’s down B is a bit problematic atm. So, I’d like to see more characters that bring interesting move set potential: Geno with timed hits, Amaterasu with the celestial brush, Yoshimitsu with stance changing, Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton with puzzle solving, etc.
New mechanics huh? That gives me hope for Geno and Dante! Especially Dante because of style switching and maybe even jump canceling?

Firox

Smash Master
New mechanics huh? That gives me hope for Geno and Dante! Especially Dante because of style switching and maybe even jump canceling?
I gotta say, I'm still hoping that Terry has some kind of tag mechanic where he can swap with a different SNK character skin and mix up combos. They could do some seriously sick stuff with that.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
My friend sent me this today, and while it's definitely not valid, it is fun to speculate.
brhu.png
Assuming this is actually a pattern (which I don't believe for a moment), who would Fighter 5 be?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My friend sent me this today, and while it's definitely not valid, it is fun to speculate.
Assuming this is actually a pattern (which I don't believe for a moment), who would Fighter 5 be?
Alright, let me see if I can shoe horn betHesda in this somehow, need to do some reaching here. It'd be really cool to get Doom Guy. :^)

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hmm I can only think of Hudson and Hal labs. If we were to get something from either that would be pretty crazy. As to who it could be i have no clue bomberman would have been the obvious pick but he'd need to escape AT hell.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hmm I can only think of Hudson soft and hal. If we were to get something from either that would be pretty crazy
We're obviously getting Mario Party 2's Mario in the Space Land attire to reference the Kirby series' space themes.

... Obviously...!!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hey, it's not like I didn't try, I didn't go into it wanting to hate it, it just sort of... happened. Maybe if the show didn't waste half it's entire runtime focusing on underdeveloped caricatures instead of the main plot, didn't put it's best character on a bus for eons, didn't make their "morally questionable" character an objectively horrible person, didn't unintentionally create the most disgusting relationship metaphor ever envisioned, didn't rush and half-ass it's ending, and didn't unironically consider your stereotypical douchebag as less deserving of love or redemption than mass-murdering dictators, maybe I would've changed my tune and began singing it's praises.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I still find Joker questionable. Atlus made it sound like Joker was all nothing but a Sakurai pick. The Persona series has a much bigger presence to the PlayStation. Joker was added, but yet no P5 or Royal on the Switch and have nothing but spin-offs. At least, Nintendo may of thought about Joker because how popular P5 is that Joker would attract new fans. Persona belongs to Megami Tensei which has a long history with Nintendo though. Any thoughts?
I don't know how many times stuff like this has to be brought up in this thread before people stop pushing the "Nintendo picks the DLC!" narrative.
Joker’s basically the Cloud of SMT.

-Series with a long-standing history with Nintendo
-However, the most popular character is mainly Playstation-exclusive
-Aside from a few spinoff titles, character rarely appears on Nintendo systems
-Appearance in Smash does not mean that their next big game will release on Nintendo platforms(FFVIIR, P5R)

Nintendo could have simply asked for “a Final Fantasy Rep” and “a Shin Megami Tensei Rep”, meaning that they still “picked the characters” while giving Sakurai a level of creative freedom.

We know from what happened with Cloud that Square(or at least Nomura) wanted to give them a more recent FF character instead, but Sakurai insisted on Cloud. That sounds like the deal might very well have been for “general FF representation” instead of Nintendo specifically asking for Cloud themselves, which sounds like what probably happened with Joker.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Eh joker is more like luminary the closest thing smt would have to a cloud would be demi-fiend. Persona has been it's own thing separate from smt proper for a while now so I wouldn't associate them like that anyway.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, it's not like I didn't try, I didn't go into it wanting to hate it, it just sort of... happened. Maybe if the show didn't waste half it's entire runtime focusing on underdeveloped caricatures instead of the main plot, didn't put it's best character on a bus for eons, didn't make their "morally questionable" character an objectively horrible person, didn't unintentionally create the most disgusting relationship metaphor ever envisioned, didn't rush and half-*** it's ending, and didn't unironically consider your stereotypical douchebag as less deserving of love or redemption than mass-murdering dictators, maybe I would've changed my tune and began singing it's praises.
Even as someone who loves SU and what it has to offer... I really can't disagree with most, if any, of this. Whoof.

This is the kind of stuff that pains me as a writer, because SU has so much to love, but it also has so many flaws. It's an example of a lot of effort and writing into something with potential, but with pretty lukewarm results. Funny enough, I find Geno to be the opposite of this: an example of something with a lot of potential, but with not enough effort and writing put into it. I feel like Nintendo and Square could have gone so far with him if they didn't fizzle out and if they just... tried some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom