• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Kind of what papa geno mentioned

The box filled in may not necessary be the full roster just like with the card
I was stating the same thing! From a promotional stand point, it makes sense.
-Robin/Lucina Reveal next week
-The market team behind that box art updates the design and begins printing (ready for the Nov. release of this particular bundle)
-shows the general public how many characters there are.
-November airs Final Smash Direct for the long time fans of the series to reveal what Spirits mode is
-And of course reveal a little more characters (Best case is 2 unique and 2 echoes, but that doesnt matter)
-Sakurai ends with "We hope we were able to make all your dreams and wishes come true..."

GENO REVEAL!

Sorry for the rant, but that is over I promise :D

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
-The market team behind that box art updates the design and begins printing (ready for the Nov. release of this particular bundle)
-November airs Final Smash Direct for the long time fans of the series to reveal what Spirits mode is
-And of course reveal a little more characters (Best case is 2 unique and 2 echoes, but that doesnt matter)
-Sakurai ends with "We hope we were able to make all your dreams and wishes come true..."

GENO REVEAL!

This was a great rant! Also, it's cool to see a lot of people hopping into what PapaGenos is saying, but the funny thing is that I actually stated over on my Instagram everything that PapaGenos basically said before he actually said it lol. It got pretty overlooked though.

blubber68744

Smash Rookie
If Geno were in smash ultimate, which I am sure we are all hoping for especially with there being allegedly a square-enix character said by Vergeben, would you all try to use him in a competitve way even if he was the worst character in terms of the tier list?

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
If Geno were in smash ultimate, which I am sure we are all hoping for especially with there being allegedly a square-enix character said by Vergeben, would you all try to use him in a competitve way even if he was the worst character in terms of the tier list?
Tier list placement would make no difference for me, after all look at who i main in 4.

The only thing that might stop me from using him is something I’ve mentioned awhile back, and that’s if his playstyle is just absolutely not fun for me. If it’s a style that I just can’t stand playing, then I probably won’t be able to use him. Pretty much what happened with Shulk in 4. As much as I wanted the character, when I played him I just realized I hated how he played.

Even If i could use him well, if I don’t like the playstyle I might not use him much.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would in a heart beat! Just to keep reminding people that he made it in the game. I win no matter what!

blubber68744

Smash Rookie
Tier list placement would make no difference for me, after all look at who i main in 4.

The only thing that might stop me from using him is something I’ve mentioned awhile back, and that’s if his playstyle is just absolutely not fun for me. If it’s a style that I just can’t stand playing, then I probably won’t be able to use him. Pretty much what happened with Shulk in 4. As much as I wanted the character, when I played him I just realized I hated how he played.

Even I could use him well, if I don’t like the playstyle I might not use him much.
I see you main ganon nice hope you enjoy his incarnation in ultimate and yeah I know what you mean for shulk his playstyle is a little off since he is mostly using his speed or jump monado, rather than all of them at a time, but I don't speak for how all shulk players play him, and I am sure with geno being how he is his playstyle may be unique compared to most.

I would in a heart beat! Just to keep reminding people that he made it in the game. I win no matter what!
That is the kinda spirit I like to see, our star boy shall make it in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just something to note, the echo vote thread is having it's vote on Wario, with Booster being one of the options.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

GENO REVEAL!

That would be clearly the best timeline. :grin:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It would be!

I honestly think in my heart of hearts that AT LEAST the setup I have in mind is what will happen.
Mini character(s) reveal next week
Final Smash Direct in November to tie us over.

I am sticking to my guns on this one.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Honestly, I can see Geno being a reveal in a Robin style reveal. It would definitely generate hype. I said I thought K. Rool was a perfect final reveal, now I think Geno would fit that. But I can see Geno getting revealed early like K. Rool did. I think a Ken/Incineroar reveal would just be like "meh.. okay"

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
It would be!

I honestly think in my heart of hearts that AT LEAST the setup I have in mind is what will happen.
Mini character(s) reveal next week
Final Smash Direct in November to ties us over.

I am sticking to my guns on this one.
That's what I'm predicting too. I'd say it's a pretty safe guess, but I think it's just very likely, especially with how things have been lining up lately.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Honestly, I can see Geno being a reveal in a Robin style reveal. It would definitely generate hype. I said I thought K. Rool was a perfect final reveal, now I think Geno would fit that. But I can see Geno getting revealed early like K. Rool did. I think a Ken/Incineroar reveal would just be like "meh.. okay"
As much as I agree with the..."wow" factor if it was Ken/Incineroar being revealed, but I think they are likely.

Now I would love to be wrong and Geno is shown next week! Unless Sakurai and the Smash team learned to save the best for last...But unlikely.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't really believe in a Robin/Lucina's style reveal. And if there's one, I bet that this will be for Incineroar and Ken. I really believe that Geno is happening on a Nintendo Direct.

link2702

Smash Champion
Speaking of directs... has their been any official word on when the next one is? I feel like surely we’d have some info by now after the website changes...

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Speaking of directs... has their been any official word on when the next one is? I feel like surely we’d have some info by now after the website changes...
Not yet. Only speculations at this point.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Even if Geno somehow turns out to be the absolute worst character in the history of Smash, I'll still make an effort to at least secondary him. I'm not supporting this character to not use him if he gets confirmed, after all. I tend to like the higher-tier characters in any game I play, but I'd be more than willing to make an exception for Geno if he was low-tier (which I think is a fairly unlikely scenario anyway). The only thing that could really stop me from using him is if his playstyle is too technical for me, which I don't think will happen since he doesn't need an obtuse gimmick.
Lots of haters on Facebook say he won’t happen too. I can’t wait to read the comments on Twitter and Facebook with stuff like ‘This guy took Waluigi’s spot lame’ :joyful:
Oh, you know we're never gonna hear the end of it from Waluigi fans if we do get our wish.
And I will revel in their tears. :demon:
Don't worry, I'm only joking... kind of.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Interestingly, the English Smash site posted its first translated memories post with Fox, though they still used the Japanese box for the picture. Odd how they just started that up, a few months before the game is out.

Could this mean...they intend to show a fairly obscure character soon, who might need a little history lesson to catch the general public up? Is there anyone we know like that, guys?

Lol, joking. That's full-on tinfoil hat level, I know. It still seems super weird that they just decided to start translating the memories after months of not doing it. I just can't figure it out.

Is the theory really so crazy...?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Interestingly, the English Smash site posted its first translated memories post with Fox, though they still used the Japanese box for the picture. Odd how they just started that up, a few months before the game is out.

Could this mean...they intend to show a fairly obscure character soon, who might need a little history lesson to catch the general public up? Is there anyone we know like that, guys?

Lol, joking. That's full-on tinfoil hat level, I know. It still seems super weird that they just decided to start translating the memories after months of not doing it. I just can't figure it out.

"Crap what do we call the Memory posts?"

"Why not just keep it and call them Memories?"

"No we must be different!!!"

"...okay, then; uh..."

*three months later*

"...how about 'Flashbacks?'"

". . .BEAUTIFUL, I'm using that tonight starting with Fox, and next week Geno."

"What about the previous characters?"

"Who cares? We've already been past them, too late now."

". . ."

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Honestly with what Geno has moveset wise I could see him being most likely high tier at least. his stats make him a faster character which is always good. his specials will likely have large hit boxes and be pretty powerful if we're trying to make him comparable to his game. with his various weapons I'd think he would also have a few projectile based normals. (do kinda want him to have Mii Gunner's Fair. that's a case of a good move on a bad character)

tie all that together and I think we're gonna get a rather strong zoning style character. but his niche will be those projectiles are gonna kill you if you're not careful. Geno Whirl as a jiggly puff Rest on a projectile anyone? which should make him stick out to the usual pepper you with small hits style.

it's also possible though that most of his bigger projectiles like Geno Beam and Geno Blast will be slower. and they might hold off a little on the projectile normals. so he could also be a case where he actually does rush down to get a bunch of hits in but once he knocks you away he uses those massive hitboxes to put you into a bad spot.

honestly my biggest question about Geno's moveset is how they would incorporate Geno Blast. because with the size of those beams of light and the number of them it could potentially be extremely obnoxious to deal with (Fine by me ;) hehe) there was the project M mod Geno that made them small little things. but I don't think Sakurai would stretch the original design into something that different. he would want to make them those same look and work in a similar way to the game. so those full on pillars falling from the sky.

but if you did it like it is in the game then it's a multi hit long range Pikachu thunder! have fun dodging that off stage! or heck even if you get to ledge he could just cover all your options potentially xD

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's my interpretation of Geno's moveset as well. Geno Blast is definitely a conundrum because it really screams final smash, but I think Geno Flash fits that role better. Sticking with what we know, Geno Blast might work as Geno's down smash, acting in a similar way to Bayonetta's. On the other hand, perhaps it could work as his up special and have different properties when grounded or airborne. Maybe when you're grounded the pillars of light resemble Pikachu's thunder, and when you're airborne they emanate from a cloud or portal just below Geno to propel him upward like Robin's Elwind.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but check out this move that Geno uses on Bowyer: https://youtu.be/sLgw_KRDOvE?t=2m8s
Geno's always portrayed as a long range fighter, but he shows his melee combat prowess in that cutscene as well. Do you think Sakurai will incorporate that move in some way? Maybe it could be a moving command grab like Falcon's. Or maybe it's a combination of his dash attack and up-tilt.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman

Where can I find this flashback on the English site? I can't find it anywhere. I'm so confused lol.

Edit: Nevermind. Since E3, I was using an English site that I thought was US. It was, in fact not lol. Same site, different country. The url had GB in it? Whatever. Anyway, I'm good now lol.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I definitely see Geno as more the glass (wooden?) cannon type of projectile based character. One that can deal a lot of damage fast, but is also fairly vulnerable and requires distance to be kept. That'd fit with his character in Super Mario RPG, and make him play a little more unique. Not quite as helpless as Mega Man up close, but maybe easier to KO than Mega Man is?

That'd give him a nice little style that brings something a little fun to the table.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

STEVE REVEAL WITH ALTERNATIVE SKIN OF ...!

Sorry :D

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I always thought blast would be like a multi hit Pika thunder, and alternating sides on Geno (possibly with a charge of some sort to get multiple blasts). but yeah, Geno turning into a cannon and shooting the sun at opponents is a bit more final smash like than geno blast.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This may be off topic, but if Geno had a classic song that would represent him, I think the song “Starman” would be a great fit and these are actual lyrics from the song:

There's a starman waiting in the sky, he’d like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds

I think in my opinion, the Starman waiting in the sky would represent Geno, and he’d literally blow our minds with his reveal in Smash. ;)

Also this pic would kinda convey that feeling of him waiting to be revealed:
0CA62ECD-F435-4719-9DA8-0E530A9F2D53.jpeg

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
This may be off topic, but if Geno had a classic song that would represent him, I think the song “Starman” would be a great fit and these are actual lyrics from the song:

There's a starman waiting in the sky, he’d like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds

I think in my opinion, the Starman waiting in the sky would represent Geno, and he’d literally blow our minds with his reveal in Smash. ;)

Also this pic would kinda convey that feeling of him waiting to be revealed:
View attachment 168080
Oh God.
I've been thinking this as well. Good work Bowie.

Still, when I first read you're question, I thought you meant a video game theme, that would be; "Beware the forest mushrooms"

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
Should we be concerned what Vergeben said about Geno?

"Geno is someone practically everyone is predicting and expecting. Meaning that they internally probably do not take that one as seriously as names they themselves have been putting out to employees.
That's not to say that he isn't a name on their list of characters they have been telling people it is though."

domriver

Smash Lord
Should we be concerned what Vergeben said about Geno?

"Geno is someone practically everyone is predicting and expecting. Meaning that they internally probably do not take that one as seriously as names they themselves have been putting out to employees.
That's not to say that he isn't a name on their list of characters they have been telling people it is though."
No. Not at all.

Also so at some point today or even tomorrow(?) we might get some sort of announcement of some sort due to things happening. Like the playlist updating/the "new" symbol is removed from smash ultimate. As I would not mind a direct at all being announced tomorrow I don't think we will have 2 directs. Just 1 full blown smash direct. What you guys think?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
No. Not at all.

Also so at some point today or even tomorrow(?) we might get some sort of announcement of some sort due to things happening. Like the playlist updating/the "new" symbol is removed from smash ultimate. As I would not mind a direct at all being announced tomorrow I don't think we will have 2 directs. Just 1 full blown smash direct. What you guys think?
For me, I can honestly see it going either way, but we’ll see what gets announced first.

domriver

Smash Lord
For me, I can honestly see it going either way, but we’ll see what gets announced first.
So I looked in the Big House 8. Nintendo Versus Retweeted the event few days ago? I saw this tweet though from Nintendo Versus twitter. Possible announcements again IF ANY will probably occur either on the 5th or 7th.

link2702

Smash Champion
Hey, I have a question I haven't seem floating around too much: how do y'all think Geno's reveal trailer will go?
I’m still of the mindset that it should be a callback to the original smash64 opening.

Master hand grabs the dolls from the toybox as normal, but right as he starts the countdown on his hands is when things change. The countdown is slightly slower, and On the 3, everything changes to melee models, on 2, everything goes to brawls, on the one, smash4, finally at the snap everything is smash ultimate’s followed by the dolls coming to life, but then both getting knocked away by a fast spinning disc.

Camera pans back to the toybox where suddenly you see geno jump out.

....or something like that. Regardless I still feel it needs to somehow call back to smash 64’s opening.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
The more I think about it, the more Geno Blast makes the most sense as a final smash. I mean, it's a spectacle. Giant flashing star lasers. And giant lasers are kinda THE final smash. On top if that, there's very few other ways, as you guys showed above, that it could work as a special, at least while staying true to the move.

Geno Flash, on the other hand, could absolutely work as special. I'm thinking it would be a great solution to the up B problem--just have cannon Geno fire upwards. I can see it made to look like a fireworks launcher-type deal. Then his puppet body just sort of warps back, like the Jr. Clown Car.

Then Geno Boost becomes a status-boost down B, Whirl and Beam as side and neutral as usual. Thoughts?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The more I think about it, the more Geno Blast makes the most sense as a final smash. I mean, it's a spectacle. Giant flashing star lasers. And giant lasers are kinda THE final smash. On top if that, there's very few other ways, as you guys showed above, that it could work as a special, at least while staying true to the move.

Geno Flash, on the other hand, could absolutely work as special. I'm thinking it would be a great solution to the up B problem--just have cannon Geno fire upwards. I can see it made to look like a fireworks launcher-type deal. Then his puppet body just sort of warps back, like the Jr. Clown Car.

Then Geno Boost becomes a status-boost down B, Whirl and Beam as side and neutral as usual. Thoughts?
I could actually see that working.

domriver

Smash Lord

I thought Geno Blast would be his final smash the (sun) :p
Geno Boost i would have thought something to the effect of up B.
Flash can be his down smash. Come on Sakurai! Show is Geno!!!!!!

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Alternatively, just a different idea, but Geno Whirl could be his Recovery and operate differently on the ground as opposed to the air.

Grounded is the disc of doom.
Air is Geno spiraling upward like a tornado, allowing for altered angles, and launching the disc after if timed right.
Geno flash is Down+B, Geno blast side+B and is a column attack in front of him, Geno Beam is neutral.
Final Smash could then be he gets the Seven Stars and they overcharge his Geno Beam.

Doubtful that'd be the case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom