• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Y'know, I've been wondering recently...If there was no Vergeben, no box theory, no music theory, or any other evidence besides what has specifically been confirmed through directs...what would the speculation scene look like right now? With nothing external swaying our opinions in any particular direction, who would we think is most likely? How many more characters would we assume we're getting?

I feel like it would be ten times better without any of it. Sure, we might be a bit disappointed by the final roster like with Smash 4, but leading up to there, we'd consistently have hope. That feels preferable to me. Especially considering how good it feels to drop this one theory.

It really is quite shocking how much one person's info or a single image of a box or a pair of chairs can warp speculation. Personally, if we were going off direct info only, not only would at least 2 more uniques seem like a lock, but Incineroar probably wouldn't be one of them, the honor most likely going to Decidueye.

And then there's Geno...his chances would be sky-high. As is, they're still pretty up there. But nothing could have touched him without leaks or theories. My guess is that he and pretty much all former costumes would be the top picks.

It's hard to ignore this kind of stuff though, especially when you're so desperate for info. Wouldn't a clean slate be nice, though?

cybersai

Smash Ace
I feel like Sakurai still saying don't expect many newcomers, and the limited 2 months of reveals left, would still put a damper on things. People really only expect about 3 more newcomers at the most, those expecting 5-6+ are leading themselves to disappointment.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
That old 4chan post excites me.

Also I had no idea there was a poll going on and Geno barely made it. TAG ME AND NOTIFY ME IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN. Or tweet me, I'll notice that :p then I can share it.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Hey check this out

It got 4 things right so far

And not only it doesn’t mention Isabelle as a echo it was well before Vergeben said Isabelle is playable
Probably lucky guesses like any "leak" from /v/, but this would be 100% perfect. Gaiden is my favorite Fire Emblem (and SoV is an amazing remake), and I have had a bit of a game crush on Celica since I played Gaiden several years ago. If she got in as a Robin echo that has no tomes or limits, but damages herself to do magic and uses a sword with strength between Robin's two blades, that would be a dream come true, especially with Geno being my most wanted newcomer by a country mile!

Plus I would have a bit of a chuckle when everyone is tired of FE sees another rep got in. I would only be happy because it would be my favorite game and girl.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
There is a Pokemon music left there right now...

This does NOT kill the music theory but it DOES weakened the theory itself by a SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT.
Even though there are no Pokemon announced yet, there are many evidence that prove its existence.
The theory is plain stupid imo and people are believing the theory too hard. Pretending that Echoes does not count is mostly foolish and delusional.
The pro-Music theory people began to point out that Incineroar will not make it to Smash despite sheer evidence that it in fact exist (Verge).
I am glad that the theory is at least heavily weakened so that Geno will have a good position.

a gen 3 song eh? pretty cool. (though the trainer battle theme in red/blue is still my favorite)
kinda makes me hope gardevoir is playable as some kind of mewtwo semi-clone.

pokemon DID just reveal a new legendary pokemon today. maybe they released this music in tandem for whatever reason.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Music theory being dead is nice. granted I thought it didn't affect us when I realized that spin off music went in the second mushroom. but hey at least people can't use it against us anymore!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Probably lucky guesses like any "leak" from /v/, but this would be 100% perfect. Gaiden is my favorite Fire Emblem (and SoV is an amazing remake), and I have had a bit of a game crush on Celica since I played Gaiden several years ago. If she got in as a Robin echo that has no tomes or limits, but damages herself to do magic and uses a sword with strength between Robin's two blades, that would be a dream come true, especially with Geno being my most wanted newcomer by a country mile!

Plus I would have a bit of a chuckle when everyone is tired of Fe sees another rep got in. I would only be happy because it would be my favorite game and girl.
This game is already great, it will be truly “Ultimate” if these characters and Geno happen to make it in. :)

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Y'know, I've been wondering recently...If there was no Vergeben, no box theory, no music theory, or any other evidence besides what has specifically been confirmed through directs...what would the speculation scene look like right now? With nothing external swaying our opinions in any particular direction, who would we think is most likely? How many more characters would we assume we're getting?

I feel like it would be ten times better without any of it. Sure, we might be a bit disappointed by the final roster like with Smash 4, but leading up to there, we'd consistently have hope. That feels preferable to me. Especially considering how good it feels to drop this one theory.

It really is quite shocking how much one person's info or a single image of a box or a pair of chairs can warp speculation. Personally, if we were going off direct info only, not only would at least 2 more uniques seem like a lock, but Incineroar probably wouldn't be one of them, the honor most likely going to Decidueye.

And then there's Geno...his chances would be sky-high. As is, they're still pretty up there. But nothing could have touched him without leaks or theories. My guess is that he and pretty much all former costumes would be the top picks.

It's hard to ignore this kind of stuff though, especially when you're so desperate for info. Wouldn't a clean slate be nice, though?
i'll tell you what, despite leaks being annoying sometimes, it's really one of the most crucial things to keep the smash hype going, without it we'd have nothing for almost a whole month from june to august and september to who knows when.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Decidueye would have way more talk than Incineroar for one, that and/or Lycanroc maybe.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Decidueye would have way more talk than Incineroar for one, that and/or Lycanroc maybe.
honestly I feel like incineroar is gonna hit people hard for all the people not aware of the leaks. because seems like those people are expecting Decidueye who is the most popular of the final evolutions of the gen 7 starters. well I guess decidueye started to appear everywhere so people got tired of him. so who knows. but I still just get this sense that incineroar might end up being the least hyped character for the game. which is unfortunate because having a pokemon based on pro wrestling could be pretty cool and bring something new to smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, either music theory is dead or Incineroar is. Hopefully at the very least it'll make speculation more interesting over the next few weeks while we wait for another announcement.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
i'll tell you what, despite leaks being annoying sometimes, it's really one of the most crucial things to keep the smash hype going, without it we'd have nothing for almost a whole month from june to august and september to who knows when.
In this speculation environment, I'm inclined to agree, at least partially. The issue here is that we lack the daily update system we've had the last two games. It creates a dangerous reliance on leaks that's making us have predictions that may be drastically different than what we'll actually get. Still, they're a sort of necessary evil in this case.

I'd blame Sakurai if anything for the structure of reveals this go around. Granted, it wouldn't be possible to do everyone is here any other way, so there's not much for it.

At the very least, the release wait is shorter than normal this time.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
In this speculation environment, I'm inclined to agree, at least partially. The issue here is that we lack the daily update system we've had the last two games. It creates a dangerous reliance on leaks that's making us have predictions that may be drastically different than what we'll actually get. Still, they're a sort of necessary evil in this case.

I'd blame Sakurai if anything for the structure of reveals this go around. Granted, it wouldn't be possible to do everyone is here any other way, so there's not much for it.

At the very least, the release wait is shorter than normal this time.
That and we don’t have a forum-like app like Miiverse on the Switch and I remember when we used to get updates through Miiverse on the Wii U and whatnot and it was almost like Christmas every time an update happened on there.

Even though there were a lot of toxic people on Miiverse, but it is what it is I guess...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There is a Pokemon music left there right now...

This does NOT kill the music theory but it DOES weakened the theory itself by a SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT.
Even though there are no Pokemon announced yet, there are many evidence that prove its existence.
The theory is plain stupid imo and people are believing the theory too hard. Pretending that Echoes does not count is mostly foolish and delusional.
The pro-Music theory people began to point out that Incineroar will not make it to Smash despite sheer evidence that it in fact exist (Verge).
I am glad that the theory is at least heavily weakened so that Geno will have a good position.
I wouldn't say this kills anything: the remix is Gen 3 while Incineroar is Gen 7. Unless we see a Gen 3 'mon confirmed for the game after this music dropped, nothing is dead or has been killed. Also, the only Mario music on the site is Main game Mario music, not spin-offs, and we know they are cataloged different. Add in that no SE music is on the site and now you know that Geno being announced wouldn't kill the music theory either.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wouldn't say this kills anything: the remix is Gen 3 while Incineroar is Gen 7. Unless we see a Gen 3 'mon confirmed for the game after this music dropped, nothing is dead or has been killed. Also, the only Mario music on the site is Main game Mario music, not spin-offs, and we know they are cataloged different. Add in that no SE music is on the site and now you know that Geno being announced wouldn't kill the music theory either.
That's irrelevant, unless we're going to change the parameters for music theory again. Music theory is the idea that a franchise only gets one song, and if that franchise has a unique newcomer, they'll only get a song after that newcomer is revealed. In all likelihood, either music theory is dead or Incineroar isn't in the game. (or any other new Pokemon).

I'm inclined to think music theory is dead, which is obviously good for Geno assuming he's Mario series.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Wait is this legit? Why is nobody talking about it?
Think at this point people are getting burnt out on all these "leaks" only really caring to check up on what Vergeben says.
there seems to be a lot of youtube channels that have jumped up in popularity because they talk about every fake leak that comes out. once everything is announced their gonna have a hard time keeping their channels from losing all their viewership.

aquasound

Smash Rookie
Think at this point people are getting burnt out on all these "leaks" only really caring to check up on what Vergeben says.
there seems to be a lot of youtube channels that have jumped up in popularity because they talk about every fake leak that comes out. once everything is announced their gonna have a hard time keeping their channels from losing all their viewership.
This is true for me. The "leak fatigue" has really ramped up for me this month. I used to enjoy the leak explanation videos, but now they're all sounding the same and now I check them only to see if Geno was mentioned (although I still enjoy watching videos by papagenos papagenos ). Impatiently waiting for the next Direct!

Last edited:

gebi

Cloud Prince
true there is a few okay channels like billybo10k and papa genos because they are very honest and do it mostly for fun but i am worried about how their channels will be after the game drops.

but that leak is pretty huge if it is real because of how early it was.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Ah yes, a classic. Change the entire theory to fit the narrative, well done!

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
It's funny because we don't know which is dead, Music Theory or Incineroar's chances, but everyone is assuming that it's the former. I prefer it to be the former because it increases Geno's chances, but still, I don't know if a new Pokémon rep is that guaranteed even if every leaker and their mother are convinced that Incineroar is in.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
BIG NEWS ABOUT SAKURAI:

Sakurai announce that there be a slow down in terms of character reveals and that people shouldn't overestimate the amount of characters in Smash.

Quote:
"We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out."

“It’ll be complete in just a little longer… or so we expect!”

SOURCE: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...nouncements-to-slow-down/#Lco69sJo60gtrljD.99

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
*cough* LaxChris *cough*

TBone06

Smash Ace
BIG NEWS ABOUT SAKURAI:

Sakurai announce that there be a slow down in terms of character reveals and that people shouldn't overestimate the amount of characters in Smash.

Quote:
"We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out."

SOURCE: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...nouncements-to-slow-down/#Lco69sJo60gtrljD.99
See, that’s just vague. To me, if he wanted to put expectations in check, I would have just preferred him saying there are X amount left. There are people who are expecting 6, 8, 10 characters. What is a lot to him? Everyone will have different opinions of that.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
BIG NEWS ABOUT SAKURAI:

Quote:

That does look bad, guys...but don't lose hope entirely! Check this Tweet from Source Gaming.

Beyond that, I think he just means how close the reveals are to each other, NOT how many are left. It's undoubtable there will be at least one in the Spirits direct, possibly 2.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I feel like Sakurai still saying don't expect many newcomers, and the limited 2 months of reveals left, would still put a damper on things. People really only expect about 3 more newcomers at the most, those expecting 5-6+ are leading themselves to disappointment.
At this point, I'm only expecting 3-4 newcomers, any more would shock me, but it always helps to go into it with low expectations.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
At this point, I'm only expecting 3-4 newcomers, any more would shock me, but it always helps to go into it with low expectations.
I'm expecting 5 but at least 2 of them are Echoes. You are right in believing to go with low expectations.

Right now I think that is the best approach. I could see them doing one newcomer in a normal Direct and 2-4 in a Smash focused Direct. If that happens I believe it will be 2 uniques and 2 echos to round out the number

TBone06

Smash Ace
[QUOTE="cybersai, post: 22480581, member: 221032"]I feel like Sakurai still saying don't expect many newcomers, and the limited 2 months of reveals left, would still put a damper on things. People really only expect about 3 more newcomers at the most, those expecting 5-6+ are leading themselves to disappointment.
At this point in time, I'm really only expecting 3 to 4 newcomers at most, if we get any more than that, I'd be shocked and it pretty much always helps to go in with low expectations as to not get your hopes up too high. [/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore. I felt like 4/5 was reasonable (echoes included) but I feel like there is so much circling around. My expectations were low going into the August Direct. But I think if that post is true, they realize they blew their load with that Direct. As great as it was, I think it was a mistake. It sets fans up to be disappointed whether it’s unreasonable or not. Honestly it does kind of suck knowing we got five characters in August, and we may not even get that in the remaining two months. But, if Geno is in, nothing else matters to me.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
At this point in time, I'm really only expecting 3 to 4 newcomers at most, if we get any more than that, I'd be shocked and it pretty much always helps to go in with low expectations as to not get your hopes up too high.
I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore. I felt like 4/5 was reasonable (echoes included) but I feel like there is so much circling around. My expectations were low going into the August Direct. But I think if that post is true, they realize they blew their load with that Direct. As great as it was, I think it was a mistake. It sets fans up to be disappointed whether it’s unreasonable or not. Honestly it does kind of suck knowing we got five characters in August, and we may not even get that in the remaining two months. But, if Geno is in, nothing else matters to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here, his Mii Costume was treated more special than any other former Mii Costume that's now a fighter in Ultimate: Inklings, King K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, none of their Mii Costumes got the splash screen treatment like Geno's did and it would really baffle me if he didn't make it and the song, "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" (technically Geno's theme at this point) played for around ~10 seconds when his Mii Costume was revealed, but funny thing is that we didn't get the track in the Wii U/3DS version of the game and what I don't get is why would they get permission to just play the song for that short amount of time just to not use it at all. :confused:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
First off, do ya mind adding me to the supporters list?
I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore. I felt like 4/5 was reasonable (echoes included) but I feel like there is so much circling around. My expectations were low going into the August Direct. But I think if that post is true, they realize they blew their load with that Direct. As great as it was, I think it was a mistake. It sets fans up to be disappointed whether it’s unreasonable or not. Honestly it does kind of suck knowing we got five characters in August, and we may not even get that in the remaining two months. But, if Geno is in, nothing else matters to me.
Same here, his Mii Costume was treated more special than any other former Mii Costume that's now a fighter in Ultimate: Inklings, King K. Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, none of their Mii Costumes got the splash screen treatment like Geno's did and it would really baffle me if he didn't make it and the song, "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" (technically Geno's theme at this point) played for around ~10 seconds when his Mii Costume was revealed, but funny thing is that we didn't get the track in the Wii U/3DS version of the game and what I don't get is why would they get permission to just play the song for that short amount of time just to not use it at all. :confused:[/QUOTE]
Second off, I 100% agree, it would be odd for them to pay for his likeness and pretty much his theme song and not do anything with it, despite sakurai's recent (and currently unclear due to translation) comments about their reveal pacing i still think geno has an incredibly high chance if not base game then DLC.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Don’t let Sakurai’s remarks frighten you. Geno’s chances are still better than most. The costume and treatment it got in Smash WiiU/3DS, the ballot guiding their choices, Forest’s Mushrooms being licensed alongside Geno in the costume trailer, Sakurai’s personal remarks on Geno, and the fact that we have a handful of un-revealed stages are all still weighing in our favor. Even if we can’t expect too many more new fighters I still believe Geno is going to be one of the last reveals. :)

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Don’t let Sakurai’s remarks frighten you. Geno’s chances are still better than most. The costume and treatment it got in Smash WiiU/3DS, the ballot guiding their choices, his personal remarks on the character, and the fact that we have a handful of un-revealed stages are all still weighing in our favor. Even if we can’t expect too many more new fighters I still believe Geno is going to be revealed soon. :)
The thing that gives me confidence is the fact that the majority of people feel that way as well, whether they are a fan or not. I think aside from a Pokémon rep, he is the most likely newcomer, all bias aside. I think his competition realistically is Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, a Pokémon rep and MAYBE a Rhythm Heaven character (and that’s a big maybe). I think we get three out of that group, plus Ken and Shadow. But my gut says Bandana Dee and Isaac (which I’m really sad about) aren’t in. I think a Pokémon is likely, and Skull Kid is an interesting case.

I think (unfortunately) Banjo and Kazooie aren’t in, same with Shantae. I honestly think the remaining pool is from that group above.

domriver

Smash Lord
Don’t let Sakurai’s remarks frighten you. Geno’s chances are still better than most. The costume and treatment it got in Smash WiiU/3DS, the ballot guiding their choices, Forest’s Mushrooms being licensed alongside Geno in the costume trailer, Sakurai’s personal remarks on Geno, and the fact that we have a handful of un-revealed stages are all still weighing in our favor. Even if we can’t expect too many more new fighters I still believe Geno is going to be one of the last reveals. :)
Sakurai's statements doesn't really change anything. I still believe Oct 15th Thru Nov 2nd we will see something.

aquasound

Smash Rookie
Considering that--worse case scenario--there is just one Direct before the game's release, how would Sakurai's comments affect the pace at which characters are revealed? Didn't he say all characters were going to be revealed before the game's release?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
The thing that gives me confidence is the fact that the majority of people feel that way as well, whether they are a fan or not. I think aside from a Pokémon rep, he is the most likely newcomer, all bias aside. I think his competition realistically is Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, a Pokémon rep and MAYBE a Rhythm Heaven character (and that’s a big maybe). I think we get three out of that group, plus Ken and Shadow. But my gut says Bandana Dee and Isaac (which I’m really sad about) aren’t in. I think a Pokémon is likely, and Skull Kid is an interesting case.

I think (unfortunately) Banjo and Kazooie aren’t in, same with Shantae. I honestly think the remaining pool is from that group above.
I hate to say it, but I never banked on Banjoe and Kazooie getting in. Not that I don't want them, I just thought from their inception they were the longest shots possible. In all reality, they've earned the right to be there, but being owned by Microsoft now is what makes me say otherwise. Shame too. :/

If I had to put money down on only 3 new unique ones, I'd actually say they'd be Isaac, Geno, and a new Pokemon.
I'd prefer Bandana Dee or Skull Kid instead of a new Pokemon personally though.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I hate to say it, but I never banked on Banjoe and Kazooie getting in. Not that I don't want them, I just thought from their inception they were the longest shots possible. In all reality, they've earned the right to be there, but being owned by Microsoft now is what makes me say otherwise. Shame too. :/

If I had to put money down on only 3 new unique ones, I'd actually say they'd be Isaac, Geno, and a new Pokemon.
I'd prefer Bandana Dee or Skull Kid instead of a new Pokemon personally though.
Yeah I feel a new Pokémon is meh, I’d assume open it up to a new series.

Also, after reading the whole column, I think what he was implying was a constant stream of reveals (ie: a Pokémon reveal during a Pokémon Direct)

It’s so vague, it can be taken so many ways. I do think we will see a few more unique newcomers though.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Yeah I feel a new Pokémon is meh, I’d assume open it up to a new series.

Also, after reading the whole column, I think what he was implying was a constant stream of reveals (ie: a Pokémon reveal during a Pokémon Direct)

It’s so vague, it can be taken so many ways. I do think we will see a few more unique newcomers though.
It really is so vague. I'm kinda hoping that more of a translation comes through and stipulates more info, but I reckon that won't happen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, I just feel like bringing this up because I was shocked about this.
https://soranews24.com/2018/09/27/b...-own-dedicated-fan-event-next-month-in-japan/
So, I think it's fair to say that this new Nintendo community is not dieing down soon, or at least will have a minimum of one big resurgance. Also, this is the first time I have seen Nintendo have any direct say on the subject, that being to naturally decline to comment. I would bring this up in the Peachette thread, but I don't want to doublepost, even if I am the person in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom