• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Why can't he just sound like a British Dunban?~
Well, Dunban's actor is on the staff already...;)

But really, I don't think he'd sound British, for some reason. Maybe because the way his lines are written suggest a pretty American dialect. Plus, SMRPG wasn't released in Europe, so that might be a little weird, lol.

Not that that stopped Lucas from being voiced by an American...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But really, I don't think he'd sound British, for some reason. Maybe because the way his lines are written suggest a pretty American dialect. Plus, SMRPG wasn't released in Europe, so that might be a little weird, lol.
If I recall, the translation of SMRPG was one of Ted Woolsey's last projects. Anyway, the idea of Geno sounding like Dunban in some way actually seems like a good choice. How British he would be though is up in the air.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
For some reason, I always imagined Geno simply not having a voice when it comes to Smash. He's never really been one to talk much and only speaks up when he actually has something to say, so I see him being less of the talkative type and more of the strong-and-silent type. Think Mega Man or Pac-Man, I guess - although they have spoken in the past, they're mute for the purposes of Smash as it simply supports their general image best and, frankly, requires a lot less work. That's the route I see them going with Geno, and I'm completely okay with that considering we've never heard his voice anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I feel his voice would be confident, calm, and clear, with a certain levity--like he's well aware he knows more than you do, but he's not stuck up about it. He would sound like a thirtysomething guy who's got lifetimes of experience, but isn't afraid to laugh.

I sorta see him sounding like a non-British Dunban, overall. I'm trying to think of a real world example...I'll come back to this, lol.
Oh my gosh I am so down with him having Dunban's voice!
that sounds perfect!

but yeah it's probably more likely he won't have a voice and I'll be fine with that. but if we are lucky and nintendo suddenly tried to get him into party, sports, and kart games I think at that point he would need some kind of defined voice.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Oh my gosh I am so down with him having Dunban's voice!
that sounds perfect!

but yeah it's probably more likely he won't have a voice and I'll be fine with that. but if we are lucky and nintendo suddenly tried to get him into party, sports, and kart games I think at that point he would need some kind of defined voice.
Yeah, he likely won't get a full voice...and for grunts and so forth, I imagine it will be something indiscriminate and electronically modified to where it won't sound human, like Dedede's voice. But it certainly is fun to muse on what his voice might sound like.

I think Dunban is really close...another I was just considering is the voice of Snake, from Zero Escape: the Nonary Games. Anyone familiar with him? I'd link a video of a scene, but there's some pretty strong language in it, lol. Not sure what the rules are on that. But much like Geno, this guy's pure awesome, and knows everything. His voice has just the right balance of confidence and calm, I think.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, I also went back and checked out the Smash 4 thread for Geno support. Again, went to around the same week we would be on now to see what they were discussing. So, from April 15 - April 21, 2014, here it is.

1. It seems that I brought up Nintendo getting the rights to Geno for more than just Super Smash Bros. I believe I was thinking that they would want to incorporate him in other games, such as the spin-offs and maybe future RPG games, whether Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi series. Anyway, Mario Kart 8 was specifically brought up because it was about to release. The Koopa Kids had just been announced for it, so we thought that Nintendo may start looking at older characters. Makes sense to me, but looking back, we probably would have saw Geno as a DLC character for MK8 since they wouldn't have wanted to spoil his inclusion for Smash. And what's that? MK8 Deluxe DLC rumor you say... I really wish we would see Geno in other spin-offs. So much so...

2. Next up! "Why has support for Geno dwindled?" Looks like a lot of people were used to the super active Brawl thread for Geno. One user brought up a really good point: the lack of SMRPG representation in Brawl (trophies, stickers, music, etc.) really made the fan base feel like he was impossible to get in. But, Geno has had a huge support push here for Ultimate as compared to Smash 4, right? Feels that way at least.

3. The "Lost Brawl Music" is brought up. Specifically, the "Forest Mushroom" remix. Was this actually a thing or just something fans thought existed? I cannot really remember anymore, it's been so long ago.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, I also went back and checked out the Smash 4 thread for Geno support. Again, went to around the same week we would be on now to see what they were discussing. So, from April 15 - April 21, 2014, here it is.

1. It seems that I brought up Nintendo getting the rights to Geno for more than just Super Smash Bros. I believe I was thinking that they would want to incorporate him in other games, such as the spin-offs and maybe future RPG games, whether Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi series. Anyway, Mario Kart 8 was specifically brought up because it was about to release. The Koopa Kids had just been announced for it, so we thought that Nintendo may start looking at older characters. Makes sense to me, but looking back, we probably would have saw Geno as a DLC character for MK8 since they wouldn't have wanted to spoil his inclusion for Smash. And what's that? MK8 Deluxe DLC rumor you say... I really wish we would see Geno in other spin-offs. So much so...

2. Next up! "Why has support for Geno dwindled?" Looks like a lot of people were used to the super active Brawl thread for Geno. One user brought up a really good point: the lack of SMRPG representation in Brawl (trophies, stickers, music, etc.) really made the fan base feel like he was impossible to get in. But, Geno has had a huge support push here for Ultimate as compared to Smash 4, right? Feels that way at least.

3. The "Lost Brawl Music" is brought up. Specifically, the "Forest Mushroom" remix. Was this actually a thing or just something fans thought existed? I cannot really remember anymore, it's been so long ago.
No one knows what the lost Brawl music was. It could have been, considering we now know Sakurai considered Geno. But we have no real way of knowing.

If we knew that Sakurai actually considered Geno in Brawl we probably would have supported Geno more in Smash 4. But most fans started thinking it just wasn't going to happen

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
No one knows what the lost Brawl music was. It could have been, considering we now know Sakurai considered Geno. But we have no real way of knowing.

If we knew that Sakurai actually considered Geno in Brawl we probably would have supported Geno more in Smash 4. But most fans started thinking it just wasn't going to happen
Yeah, when Brawl came out, I stopped Geno speculation. I figured if it didn't happen then, then why should I have hope as more years pass? But now, here we are! All the hard work feels like it's paying off.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, non-british dunban or adult gohan (english dub) was more along the lines that i was thinking. And as far as inflection, definitely the "old soul" motif with a humorous side.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick reminder of the Mario Aces/Smash Ultimate thing tomorrow night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT-DmdaLH_Q We may see Geno, Ashley, or possibly even both here
wait now it's the 15th instead of the 16th?
oh also whatever happened to it changing to the 22nd?
and we sure it's not just another showcase of the demo? I've seen lots of videos of different places having the demo showcased in different regions.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
wait now it's the 15th instead of the 16th?
oh also whatever happened to it changing to the 22nd?
and we sure it's not just another showcase of the demo? I've seen lots of videos of different places having the demo showcased in different regions.
It is on the 15th because of timezone and it was never moved there is just two events on those dates. Kinda confusing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did you mean to say disconfirm?
Oops, yeah

It's not completely clear, but it doesn't sound like we're getting monthly character reveals. And of course all ones that include DLC are deconfirmed

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oops, yeah

It's not completely clear, but it doesn't sound like we're getting monthly character reveals. And of course all ones that include DLC are deconfirmed
I will agree on the DLC bit, but I am gonna wait and see for how they reveal the characters. Bill's answer kinda boils down to "Wait and see," and it like he kinda tried to dodge the question, considering how much he talks in other questions.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It could just be that he doesn't know either. I would imagine NoA gets information down the pipeline rather than being keyed in at all times from the source. But who knows?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

This interview seems to deconfirm all leaks. 1) It says DLC hasn't been considered yet 2) It says we shouldn't expect info on new characters until much closer to release.

If we aren't getting monthly character reveals that makes me think the roster is going to be much smaller than we even anticipated
I dunno about that second one. What Bill said sounded more like a stock PR answer than "we aren't revealing any more fighters until close to release". They're just playing their cards close to their chest, as they have and should. Besides, I highly doubt they'd just let the hype for their big system seller die like that. We'll see a reveal sometime within the month, I'm sure.
The DLC leaks never had a chance in hell as far as I'm concerned, so them being disconfirmed isn't really new to me. It just didn't seem reasonable for any DLC to be planned before the game even releases, much less multiple characters like most DLC leaks have been suggesting, so I highly doubted the veracity of any DLC leaks anyhow. In my book, any leak that claims to know the entire roster or any of the "planned DLC" this far off from release is a false flag and should be ignored.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

This interview seems to deconfirm all leaks. 1) It says DLC hasn't been considered yet 2) It says we shouldn't expect info on new characters until much closer to release.

If we aren't getting monthly character reveals that makes me think the roster is going to be much smaller than we even anticipated
I think they are just wanting to stay silent about new characters. but yeah does make me think any DLC leaks are dead in the water now.
and yeah with the amount of adjustments they are making and who knows what else that will be in the game we'll probably not have many characters. I still feel that 4 or 6 more is still a good call though. (not including what we already got or Echo fighters)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they are just wanting to stay silent about new characters. but yeah does make me think any DLC leaks are dead in the water now.
and yeah with the amount of adjustments they are making and who knows what else that will be in the game we'll probably not have many characters. I still feel that 4 or 6 more is still a good call though. (not including what we already got or Echo fighters)
Not that DLC is dead, just the "leaks" that say try and say what characters are DLC.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
So here's my question for you guys. say we get something like 6 new characters in the game. what 6 characters do you think could have priority and would get in over Geno? because the more I dig into this I can't come up with that many. many of the ones I thought at first that would be in actually have reasons that might stop them.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So here's my question for you guys. say we get something like 6 new characters in the game. what 6 characters do you think could have priority and would get in over Geno? because the more I dig into this I can't come up with that many. many of the ones I thought at first that would be in actually have reasons that might stop them.
Well, King K. Rool's gotta be top priority at this point since he beats Geno both in terms of popularity and overall importance, so there's him. I could also see Bandanna Dee having priority over Geno considering he's pretty popular himself and also one of the few main Nintendo characters not yet in the roster. Beyond that... I actually can't think of anyone who would realistically take priority over Geno in Sakurai's eyes? Simon Belmont's looking likely thanks to Vergeben, but even assuming he's in, too, that still leaves room for Geno. A Rhythm Heaven rep and a Pokemon rep I feel are both still likely in that scenario as well, but I question whether they would hold priority over adding Geno...

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
1. K. Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Elma (Nintendo will want to promote Xenoblade as their premier JRPG; Rex and Pyra will most likely be DLC)
4. Decidueye or some other Gen 7 pokemon
5. Simon Belmont/Sora/Banjo Kazooie/some other 3rd party
6. Captain Toad/Bandana Dee/Ashley (all popular choices in Japan; the West got Ridley)

Edit: Isabelle

Anything that's first party or a super hype third party has arguably better chances.

Now, Geno obviously has a lot of merit but I'm not willing to play the "shoo-in" game with him. That said, I do think he has a few unique attributes that makes him a "make or break" character. Will Sakurai cave in to this opportunity and add him or will he ultimately decide to abstain (thereby putting the death nail on Geno virtually forever)? I don't know. But him bringing everyone back and adding Ridley bodes well for the former.

The opportunity has never been greater. It's the perfect time to bite.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I caught that article this morning...Not very reassuring, unfortunately. My thoughts are exactly the same: no DLC yet, less characters, less info until later. Kind of a bummer...

But it won't matter if Geno's already on the base roster.;)

Just gotta believe...

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I feel with potentially a smaller amount of newcomers, that the road would be a little more rocky. But Geno HAS NEVER been more poised to be in the game than he is now. There's been a lot of popular characters that we thought could get in over Geno and they've been shown as AT's like Midna and third party Bomberman. So Geno has walked through most of the mine field I think. As far as other must have unique characters who could get in still whom have yet to be shown, I'd say K. Rool and Waddle Dee. I don't count Dixie because I see her making it as an echo. Geno has things going for him like Square involvement(Thank God for Cloud) His Mii fighter costume was a big deal in Wii U. And above all else, which is something Geno has going for him which no other newcomer has, is the man himself Sakurai is not only enthusiastic about the character but has stated, "he'd be a perfect fit in Smash Bros." Geno has the father of Smash on his side. I've never believed in Geno's chances like I do now. It's Sakurai's call.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I caught that article this morning...Not very reassuring, unfortunately. My thoughts are exactly the same: no DLC yet, less characters, less info until later. Kind of a bummer...

But it won't matter if Geno's already on the base roster.;)

Just gotta believe...
Even though it's not reassuring, I'm sure they are keeping things close to the chest. It keeps the buzz alive. I'm sure at some point we'll see something, just don't know exactly when.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, we all know that if any character were to come from SMRPG, it would be Geno. However, the other Mario RPG's don't seem to be so cut and dry with who the stand out original character choice would be. Why do you guys think that is?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Ah okay. Would be interesting if the announced a new character at the end but since it's a Japanese tournament I think they'd save that kind of reveal for a direct.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Ah okay. Would be interesting if the announced a new character at the end but since it's a Japanese tournament I think they'd save that kind of reveal for a direct.
I'd say Geno is important enough to be revealed in a Direct, buuuttttttttttt.....

If they didn't reveal him in a direct I would be just as excited.

smash puffle

Smash Ace

I'm sorry, but I find this very hard to believe. There's NO way on earth they're just gonna keep people hanging for 5 months with no new major info, let alone any character reveals. Now its true that they did just that in the March teaser with no new real info until E3, but they can't possibly do that again.
I mean, look at the Smash blog right now. It either has portions of new music, or stuff we already know about. That's it.
If they really do that, then people would slowly lose interest towards the game until it releases. Some new modes or stages are not enough to keep people interested for long. They have to reveal new fighters to keep the hype consistent throughout the year.
As for the DLC thing, like c'mon guys it's gonna happen, wherever Sakurai wants it or not. It makes a lot of sense to do that from a business standpoint, it'll make them a lot of money, they cannot back down from doing that in this game if they want to keep it's playerbase high.

Besides, it's kind of bold to say the interview deconfirms ALL leaks, but that's just me...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for the DLC thing, like c'mon guys it's gonna happen, wherever Sakurai wants it or not. It makes a lot of sense to do that from a business standpoint, it'll make them a lot of money, they cannot back down from doing that in this game if they want to keep it's playerbase high.
Bill didn't say that they weren't gonna do DLC, he said they had no plans as of now as they want to focus on the base game. It's just that now we know any leak claiming DLC knowledge is fake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom