• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I have been given full permission by Fatman in private to share this piece of info publicly.

Awhile back, I was told in private a list of characters that were hard deconfirmed for Ultimate. From the words of it, a list of characters that were “pitched to Sakurai, but shot down immediately.”

And low and behold, Cuphead was on that list. That perfectly explains the Mii Costume revealed today.

I know I was critical of Fatman today, but he was right on the money with that one. Definitely a point for his credibility, coming from someone who has disagreed with him a ton.

That is all I will say, I was told to keep the rest of the names private.
Also to add to this post from earlier

Bonus points for him mentioning “there could very well be Mii Costumes for these characters”.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
With the deadline for Challenger Pack 2 being two years from now, that means we're looking at three fighters for each year... and the releases are all going to be slow and spaced out

I'm thinking our release schedule is going to look like this:

Beginning of the year Direct Reveal/March-April release
E3 Reveal/End of summer release
Post E3 Direct/Christmas release

Crash and Geno are the only ones I can back right now; the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to specifically mention Twitter requests makes me think Harada made good on his threat to have a chat with Sakurai over the Sora4Smash fiasco; meaning my next biggest want is probably in a shallow grave

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but...

The UK version of the presentation has more dislikes then likes at the moment.

I personally don't like Byleth that much myself, but I don't think he deserves this at all...
I have been seeing an effort (thankfully not here on Smashboards) to dislike all the videos for every region so also Nintendo Germany/Japan/Australia/Italy/Russia/etc

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It's not a horrifying thought, it's the most likely outcome. A remake of FE4 has been rumored to be in the works for a while.
I didn't think Nintendo would be foolish enough to repeat Smash 4's DLc issue for the fighter pass. I was wrong.

I hopefully doubt Nintendo is dumb enough to do that again for the second pass.

I'm already having doubts on getting Byleth (looks interesting but purchasing him sends the message this was a good idea) but I downright oppose FE #9. No way in hell that can be justified.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
With the deadline for Challenger Pack 2 being two years from now, that means we're looking at three fighters for each year... and the releases are all going to be slow and spaced out

Crash and Geno are the only ones I can back right now; the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to specifically mention Twitter requests makes me think Harada made good on his threat to have a chat with Sakurai over the Sora4Smash fiasco; meaning my next biggest want is probably in a shallow grave
If the Harada issue is true and do happen goodbye to Sora, Doom Slayer, Arle, Jonesy, Crash, and Master Chief. God I hope you’re wrong on that.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Here's the thing... If my theory is right about literally one AT promotion and one more first/second party character in DLC, that's the door slamming shut for a ton of fanbases. It was one of the things I was always afraid about when it came to a hypothetical AT promotion but that's the reality of it. Based on where we're at right now, we have a basic theory that three of the packs will be Nintendo, Square, and Namco; that's half. If you believe the Dante rumors, that's four. At most, we'd be getting two totally new companies. It's pretty realistic that we're getting one new company and, again, if Nintendo's swerving bigg'uns like Ubisoft and (theoretically) Bethesda, they must have a very particular company in mind. Double dipping is even less likely here than it was for the Fighter's Pass so once a company gets a rep, it's GG for everyone else, possibly until the next game.
Why do you feel like if we're getting an AT, that it will only be one AT, and the door will be shut for others? Do you perhaps think that Sakurai would shut down the prospect himself in said upgrades reveal video? Like for instance if it were Isaac(let a man dream lmao) he'd just go out there and say "This is a one time thing" ? Or is it more so you just find it insanely unlikely overall? And to add to that, if we were for instance, to get a volume 3 which would contain 4 more to round it all off at 16 dlc's in total(counting plant), do you think the odds of more potential upgrades would go back up if we get just one in volume 2?

Apologies for the ton of questions, I was just reading that and had a lot to think on with your comments there.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I didn't think Nintendo would be foolish enough to repeat Smash 4's DLc issue for the fighter pass. I was wrong.

I'm already having doubts on getting Byleth (looks interesting but purchasing him sends the message this was a good idea) but I downright oppose FE #9. No way in hell that can be justified.
Which of these fine smash games can I interest you in some Fire emblem DLC for?

Firox

Smash Master

Yeah, I'm pretty conflicted as well. Byleth looks pretty cool and straight forward, but like you said, buying them is basically rewarding Nintendo for the hardcore shill-job. Gotta say, the reveal actually DETERRED me from buying the next mystery box. Who knows what other horrors await...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am really kinda tired of them trying to push what they think will be the new, popular pokemon. They should be adding pokemon with more established, long lasting fanbases like Meowth, Sceptile, etc.
Meganium/Johto Trio. If I was a modder for Brawl/PM I would try to make a moveset for Johto Pokemon.

But yeah. I love starters and what them to get high priority but I want fan favorites over being felt like they are selling me one.

Give me a Johto or Hoenn Starter/Legendary and now we are talking.

Last edited:

Sphenodon

Smash Rookie
This has been interesting, to put it most properly. I don't think any of us were expecting Blyeth any sooner than Fighter Pass Vol. 2 (or at all), but the character looks to be decently fun in the shown gameplay footage so far. It's also a stinker how this looks in contrast to Rex (and to a degree Spring Man), but hey - the character is not "another Fire Emblem swordsman" this time around, and frankly if there's a modern FE game deserving of a rep, it is Three Houses.

Also there does remain some sliver of hope for Doomguy making it in at some point, even if Cacomallow is in question anymore what with Assassin's Creed getting a costume without a fighter. And Geno, of course, who only continues to doggedly hang in the running.

Main reason for this post was that I was several days behind, and decided to catch up on the thread to see how peoples' reactions developed. Then I saw this:
Astral Chain finally got spirits, huh? I wonder when Three Houses will be getting theirs?

>Slurps coffee at 160 decibels
I understand that this wasn't Blyeth getting rumored/leaked to Fatman, but hot damn is the irony delicious.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I am really kinda tired of them trying to push what they think will be the new, popular pokemon. They should be adding pokemon with more established, long lasting fanbases like Meowth, Sceptile, etc.
I will never not be upset over the fact that Mimikyu was THE breakout star of the Sun and Moon generation; a Pokemon who is merchandised to hell and back, a Pokemon with a WEALTH of moveset potential and oozing with personality and charm

So they went with Incineroar

Dynamic Worlok

I don't think we've felt this bad since after hero
I don't even feel bad at this point. Fatman was right, the memes are legendary. I'll never not be disappointed with Sakurai's Fire Emblem Bias, however.
EOa3Yo0XkAIPMH6.jpg

It's not even that people dislike Byleth, Corrin seriously poisoned the well when it comes to fire emblem characters. I don't think it can be overstated just how much Corrin ****ed it up for fire emblem.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I will never not be upset over the fact that Mimikyu was THE breakout star of the Sun and Moon generation; a Pokemon who is merchandised to hell and back, a Pokemon with a WEALTH of moveset potential and oozing with personality and charm

I'm gonna be salty about that one for ages.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Even with mentioning Twitter, I don't think Harada is gonna be the reason why Sora or others wouldn't make the cut.

It wouldn't. It would be a result of not be selected, not from toxic posting months after most of these characters have been decided.

I think he is just reiterating to ensure he doesnt get spammed again.

I think it is safe to say that this is the last chance Geno has for Smash Bros. But I am thankful that he took the time to mention that it's been decided in advance. By doing so we can just relax and enjoy the game moving forward which is what I am going to try to do a better job of. Worsr case scenario, we get the costume back; which is better than nothing.

Geno's fate is in Sakurai's hands and either way, I am finally at peace with whatever happens.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Honestly i'm cool with Byleth.
At the very least Three Houses is a good game and it already released.
plus there is a theory that Byleth was actually FP2#1 and Ryu was FP5 originally, but they were swapped

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, I did not think I'd see people still salty not only about Byleth, but other characters like Incineroar for quite a while. Maybe some wounds don't simply heal. No offense to anyone, by the way.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Yeah, a ghost pokemon would have been nice. Mimikyu was always my pick

Dynamic Worlok

Man, I did not think I'd see people still salty not only about Byleth, but other characters like Incineroar for quite a while. Maybe some wounds don't simply heal. No offense to anyone, by the way.
I will always bear a big corrin-shaped scar

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Here’s PapaGenos reaction. Spoiler, he’s mad. Like REALLY mad. I don’t like seeing Papa this angry.
This is the way I felt this morning, but I have went from anger to straight up acceptance. If there’s things that are certain in this life, it’s Death, Taxes, and Fire Emblem Characters for Smash DLC. But yeah, I’ve never seen the man this angry before.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Here’s PapaGenos reaction. Spoiler, he’s mad. Like REALLY mad. I don’t like seeing Papa this angry.
Yeesh, its one thing to be disappointed, I can totally understand that. But yeesh... just imagine his reaction if Banjo had not been released earlier this year

D

Deleted member

The one problem I have with this is people are saying to be grateful. First off, no. I’m not inclined to be grateful. I bought the damn thing, I’m allowed to be disappointed. Also, this is Sakurai’s JOB. Not something he does for leisure, but his actual job. Yes I have much respect for the man, but he is clearly a workaholic.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Lord, it was hard watching that PapaG video. Out of all the reactions I watched, I figured his was gonna be semi tame and optimistic as he always is...But the script got flipped. I actually did not expect such indignation. As someone who loves Three Houses, I just stopped watching. Anyhoo, Geno! Am I right!?!

EDIT: Guess I should say, I am in no way mad at them because their opinion is different then mine. Just...was not expecting it was all.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The one problem I have with this is people are saying to be grateful. First off, no. I’m not inclined to be grateful. I bought the damn thing, I’m allowed to be disappointed. Also, this is Sakurai’s JOB. Not something he does for leisure, but his actual job. Yes I have much respect for the man, but he is clearly a workaholic.
I don't think I said that, not that I would of, for I wouldn't, as I only would if I did not understand why you are upset; which I do, even though I am fine.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
At this point, especially with Sakurai’s recent comments that the next fighter won’t actually be revealed for some time, I really don’t think Cacomallow was real, and even if it was I’m not sure that the costumes would even come with a Bethesda fighter to begin with. However, that one Mii costume list leak still gives me incredibly, incredibly high hopes for Geno either way.

...However, there’s a bit of an underwhelming factor to it all, as now I’m starting to think that Pack #2 will just mirror Pack #1. As much as I want Geno, having him act as the single token “hardcore fanbase request” against a backdrop of five other surprises that no one really expected or asked for would just be really weird to me.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
lol so no lie, best reaction I’ve seen.I thought it was a great video.
And it pretty much sums up the feelings of the majority of people who play this game.

Nintendo was asking for the backlash they are getting for this.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
lol so no lie, best reaction I’ve seen.I thought it was a great video.
And it pretty much sums up the feelings of the majority of people who play this game.

Nintendo was asking for the backlash they are getting for this.
Somehow, even with that, I don't think Sakurai and/or Nintendo will learn from this Fire Emblem backlash.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213

And then they made Incineroar better with his characterization that was mentioned in Pokedex entries and never shown in main games.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I said that, not that I would of, for I wouldn't, as I only would if I did not understand why you are upset; which I do, even though I am fine.
No, I’m not saying you did. Just I keep seeing Fire Emblem fans say to be grateful to which I say no.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I can't blame him. The Fighter Pass mostly sucked.
I disagree, but its a matter of choice after all

Honestly, I hope the December 2021 date is because he wanted to take some weeks off from time to time

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No, I’m not saying you did. Just I keep seeing Fire Emblem fans say to be grateful to which I say no.
Well, I don't think they can say that and expect others to follow. I understand it is hard to be happy with something like this.

D

Deleted member

I disagree, but its a matter of choice after all

Honestly, I hope the December 2021 date is because he wanted to take some weeks off from time to time
Yes. This man needs to take a break. Not just for work but for his own sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom