• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parades

Smash Rookie
If we believe the claims that it isn't tied to that godawful Banjo and Dixie image posted along with it, it's pretty solid.
Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, it does seem like they're tied together. This is the first instance of either of them I've been able to find: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/429940289/#429952446

Sorry if this is redundant information, since this is my first real foray into this thread despite supporting Geno since 1999. There's always the chance that it's two separate posters, though, I guess?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, it does seem like they're tied together. This is the first instance of either of them I've been able to find: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/429940289/#429952446

Sorry if this is redundant information, since this is my first real foray into this thread despite supporting Geno since 1999. There's always the chance that it's two separate posters, though, I guess?
The third reply from the bottom implies that it is two separate posters:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/429940289/#429983082

I wonder if the image is actually a cropped version of the original, and most of us just didn't notice.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
notice how smash 4's has two layers on the horizon once it gets to the brightest whitest blue, it goes to a different darker blue of the ocean and then the sky

but in smash ultimate it's the ocean and the sky and nothing in between which matches with the geno leak more

;3
This was what I was getting at.

It has to do with the shader. The transparency of the water geometry stays the same no matter how close to the camera it is. This means that there's two horizons, the ground horizon, and the water horizon. Clouds actually go underneath the fake water horizon to collide with the ground horizon. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

This seems to have been addressed by the Switch version of the stage, which has nicer water translucency in general. By the time the water reaches the horizon, it's fully opaque and a nice, rich blue.

My initial gut reaction was this helped the Geno leak, as it appeared to be missing this stepped layering. However, if you take a shot of the Wii U ocean and blow it out to the same degree the Geno leak is, this stepped transparency effect is completely lost.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

That's why I've always been cautious about believing that image. Because it's potentially tied with the other one.

He didn't use any identifiers so we have no way of truly knowing, but it was the same thread and he did mention Geno in the OP

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think we should keep this on the back burner for now. We all did some great work on trying to figure this mystery out.

But for now, sleep time for me.

Goodnight Genobros. He is on the way, I feel it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So...is it dead?

I feel like this is relevant for any feelings towards whoever made the leak if it is:

View attachment 170702

I want that Geno model.
Is that what your getting from this? I was getting the impression we're kind of back at Square one. With no real way to prove or outright disprove it.

Unless we can just flat out disprove it, we're not going to know for certain until either Geno is revealed, or all the characters are shown off without Geno.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Woof, I missed a lot by stepping away from this thread for a couple of hours.
I really think this Geno leak's a coinflip at this point; we've hit a brick wall when it comes to this investigation, and there's just about as much supporting that it could be legit as there is supporting that it could be an edit or a custom model. I think dismissing this leak for any reason at this point would be unwise, but it would also be unwise of us to get our hopes up because of something like this. Don't be hasty, but don't sleep on it for a second unless we get some new info that debunks it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So basically, what I'm understanding is that we would need a higher quality version of the image to definitively find out whether or not Geno's polygon count is consistent with an Ultimate model and whether or not Delfino Plaza matches with Smash Ultimate's lighting and color as opposed to Smash 4's.

...How annoying. This basically brings us back to the "we can't prove or deny anything" phase of this leak. At least we have a decent idea of what stage it's taken on, though.

At this point in time, if there's one thing that I think would potentially prove the most fruitful to investigate with what we have, it would be if the shadows on Geno's face are more consistent with Smash Ultimate's new lighting engine or Smash 4's. Just looking at the shadows on his face in particular, it looks to be more consistent with Ultimate's more noticeable shadows than with Smash 4's barely noticable ones, but I'm not an expert in that department.

Ultimate_Shadows.png
Geno_8.jpeg

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Well, today has been very long for us. We went on probably one of the biggest rollercoasters we've had in a while. I still love this image to death and want it to be real so badly, but it seems we can't tell for sure until it's right in front of our faces. It was nice playing Clue with you all though. Glad I could shed some light on this mystery.

Now there's only one way to go: forward and onward.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Real or not, most of us have been supporting Geno for a very long time now and remember, this is just another cycle, one leak shouldn't have us panicking over it or worrying if it affects Geno's chances. Lets just keep doing what we do and support our boy, as Slender already said the only way to go from here is forward.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey wasn't there that event at a bar today? Guess we got so distracted by deciphering this picture we forgot about it :p
Guess it muat have been nothing afterall
But hey following this recent development was far more interesting then blindly hoping the slightest thing will lead to an announcement.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
The Gamexplain video shows that the sky lighting was pretty much the same.

Edit: So, looking at the lighting a bit, the sun appears to be to the right of Delfino Plaza when looking at the Shine Gate and is out at sea, casting shadows in the direction of the cannon to go to Pinna Park. The sun seems to be to the left of Geno's face in the leak picture, so we just have to know where the photo may have been taken and see if it matches up with the placement of the sun.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
My first attempt was actually in the air, but the one I sent in SmashBoards was taken with the Mii standing on the top platform of the travelling stage. I knew doing a retake would come in handy.

EDIT: Here's the first take. Was mid freefall from an Up-B.

View attachment 170667
Hey, I was talking about the Geno leak with PushDustIn PushDustIn on Twitter since he was the one who originally did a thrad on it back in September, and he was wondering where specifically in the stage that this shot was taken from, (like at what point had the stage traveled to when you took the photo.) Could you tell me so I can get back to him about it? Sorry for the inconvenience.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The Gamexplain video shows that the sky lighting was pretty much the same.

Edit: So, looking at the lighting a bit, the sun appears to be to the right of Delfino Plaza when looking at the Shine Gate and is out at sea, casting shadows in the direction of the cannon to go to Pinna Park. The sun seems to be to the left of Geno's face in the leak picture, so we just have to know where the photo may have been taken and see if it matches up with the placement of the sun.
I just woke up and feel refreshed!

I don't have the Wii U version on hand, but I am certain with the evidence we have, the sun should be positioned somewhere on the left side. My guess would be slightly in the background (the Ray's, that is) emanating the light.

Not 100% sure, but I feel at least 87% sure about that.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I just woke up and feel refreshed!

I don't have the Wii U version on hand, but I am certain with the evidence we have, the sun should be positioned somewhere on the left side. My guess would be slightly in the background (the Ray's, that is) emanating the light.

Not 100% sure, but I feel at least 87% sure about that.
I'll play a match on it and see if the platform does a 360 at all.

Edit: It looks like there is a spot, when the platform is above the entrance to Noki Bay.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I've just read everything you posted in the last few hours... So, what's the consensus around here? Are we leaning more towards legit, towards fake or towards there's no fecking way to prove or disprove this leak?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I've just read everything you posted in the last few hours... So, what's the consensus around here? Are we leaning more towards legit, towards fake or towards there's no fecking way to prove or disprove this leak?
We're pretty much in the middle as of right now.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Hey, I was talking about the Geno leak with PushDustIn PushDustIn on Twitter since he was the one who originally did a thrad on it back in September, and he was wondering where specifically in the stage that this shot was taken from, (like at what point had the stage traveled to when you took the photo.) Could you tell me so I can get back to him about it? Sorry for the inconvenience.
It's mid transition to another part of the stage. I believe it's random where you go on Delfino, so I can't really say much other than to wait it out on the stage and see for yourself where I'm talking about. I do have this photo here from that YouTube video, but that's really it.

147F7E81-382B-483E-81A0-F103A21990D4.png

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Overall, can't prove or disprove. We have at least got it down to it IS a model in game.
Not a hand drawn picture.
Geno is on Delfino Plaza.
Have to figure out if the lighting is consistent with Ultimate or is it baseless shading.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
It's mid transition to another part of the stage. I believe it's random where you go on Delfino, so I can't really say much other than to wait it out on the stage and see for yourself where I'm talking about. I do have this photo here from that YouTube video, but that's really it.

View attachment 170728
That looks like it would do it. So, yeah, I'd say whoever made it, faker or not, covered everything.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
So we’ve basically narrowed it down to:

If it’s real; it’s an in game photo of Geno on the Delfino Plaza stage.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Me personally, I don't buy the Geno leak. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing and I would love for it to be real, and who knows it might just be, but after Artsy Omni's Rayman leak I feel like that set a new standard for what a believable leak should be. He created an authentic Rayman model that perfectly matched the quality of Smash 4 in addition to showing off video footage of him on the character select screen.

I don't know I just don't typically believe leaks in general. This could just be another person with Omni skills, or it could not. I'm just glad that we've come to the consensus of not getting our hopes up but not completely dismissing it either. I hope this post doesn't seem like me trying to suck all the optimism out of here, I'm just bringing another viewpoint to the discussion.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alright, I can see it's not fake nor real now, just like before...

I just got worked up a bit; while we already have evidence he could be playable this time around, I really like that model in the image, and thought it could be real. As long as we get Geno, though, that's good enough :)

Me personally, I don't buy the Geno leak. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing and I would love for it to be real, and who knows it might just be, but after Artsy Omni's Rayman leak I feel like that set a new standard for what a believable leak should be. He created an authentic Rayman model that perfectly matched the quality of Smash 4 in addition to showing off video footage of him on the character select screen.

I don't know I just don't typically believe leaks in general. This could just be another person with Omni skills, or it could not. I'm just glad that we've come to the consensus of not getting our hopes up but not completely dismissing it either. I hope this post doesn't seem like me trying to suck all the optimism out of here, I'm just bringing another viewpoint to the discussion.
Artsy Omni's Rayman was very good, and fit Smash 4 very well, but I did notice some points where it seemed to be painted more-so than a 3D render, especially Rayman's left hand (well, when I went back to check one time, as it did fool me back then).

Of course, Smashified got even better at making models, so it's possible someone did the same, I'll admit; this Geno image just seems very consistent with the lighting mechanics and such in Ultimate, so it's strange :I Yeah, we'll just have to keep it in mind, like before.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, geno already had high chances, and this is even more of a little boost. It's always possible that he's not in, you have to be prepared for that possibility, but it's looking pretty good, i feel :)

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I'm 100% convinced Geno is in, between his popularity and the Mii costume precedent, but it's yet to be seen whether he'll be leaked before confirmation of an official capacity.

D

Deleted member

A hint toward Geno eh? Might not be anything, but hope it's something.

Finally some hope for starboy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
so we have new info from Tansut, N3ON shared it:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...spoilers-leaks.434391/page-5731#post-22563131

Still doesn't confirm Geno or anyone (of course), but it seems more-likely, as he seems to be insinuating that his source is from Square Enix, and Geno is one of the only ones who shows up in a bunch of "leaks" to my knowledge (I don't know if Sora does or not, but I don't recall any convincing image leaks at least, and while it may be a text leak, I don't know of any text leaks that make sense either, except one that includes Geno and Celica but that may end up fake as well).

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Well, one of the things that really jumps out to me is how much analysis this image has garnered just in the last 48 hours, not just from us but from the larger Smash community. I think it's real telling that despite how divisive Geno's possible inclusion may be, it seemed like everyone was taking that image seriously yesterday. That alone shows me that Geno is a major contender for this game regardless of whether the image is real or not. If it is fake, gotta hand it to the creator. If it's real though, then we need to replicate that pose in HD when the game comes out.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
so we have new info from Tansut, N3ON shared it:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...spoilers-leaks.434391/page-5731#post-22563131

Still doesn't confirm Geno or anyone (of course), but it seems more-likely, as he seems to be insinuating that his source is from Square Enix, and Geno is one of the only ones who shows up in a bunch of "leaks" to my knowledge (I don't know if Sora does or not, but I don't recall any convincing image leaks at least, and while it may be a text leak, I don't know of any text leaks that make sense either, except one that includes Geno and Celica but that may end up fake as well).
Well, that raises my confidence on the leak just a tad. Assuming Tansut's not just having a go at us right now, the company that was getting rustled over leaks was almost certainly Square Enix, especially considering their zero-tolerance leak policy, which obviously lines up with the Geno image being one of the most likely image leaks to be real right now. It's not a confirmation of anything, since Tansut could always just be ****ing with us, but my confidence in this leak now sits at ~60% real, 40% fake.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
We should start writing our thank you card for Geno being included to Nintendo and Square now :p

Geno is looking more and more likely as each day goes by!

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I've been of the mind since I first saw this picture that I wouldn't really be surprised either way whether it ended up real.

Either way, I think the model looks nice, and it is definitely assuring that there's a plausible explanation for the background now, even if it's hardly conclusive proof it comes from Ultimate.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
We should start writing our thank you card for Geno being included to Nintendo and Square now :p

Geno is looking more and more likely as each day goes by!
Lol, that's what I'm thinking! XD
I honestly just think it's a matter of time when he gets revealed, not a "IF" he gets revealed.

Last edited:

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I have an idea for how Geno's trailer would play out. But it hinges on him being the last character reveal
So, it starts off as a reference to the Smash 64 intro, with Master Hand pulling dolls out of the toy box. However, after he pulls Mario out of the box. He pulls some other dolls
And then, he just dumps out the entire toy box onto the table, with dolls of most, if not all of the characters in the game. Master Hand then reaches into the pile, suspense builds up as he slowly pulls something out of the pile. And he pulls out a Geno doll.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It'd be great if we could prove that. We have to find the original thread or something like that.

Oh btw Hi everyone! I'm new at this thread. I joined the discord server before joining the discussion over here, so maybe you recognize me if you are there. I've been a Geno supporter since Smash 4 so I'm not an old supporter, but still, I'm here, always hoping our puppet to come back the way he deserves.
Hey, are you the same CraziiDamon at Youtube?

But anyways, to not derail the topic, I found Tansut's tease (as I said before in the rumour thread):
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...ember-12-over.1138052/page-112#post-185219444
That should make things clear for anyone unaware.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Recompiling the evidence for Geno!

Facts:
1. Sakurai is on record saying what a great inclusion Geno would be to Smash Bros.
2. Geno’s costume got a splash screen reveal in WiiU/3DS. No other costume received this special treatment.
3. Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms was licensed for the costume trailer for Smash Wii/3DS but was curiously absent from that game’s soundtrack.
4. All of the same content for Cloud is being included in this game, hinting that the licensing negotiated was for both games. It stands to reason that would include Geno’s likeness and his theme music.

Precedents:
1. Roster inclusions are being heavily based on ballot performance, which we all know Geno did well on.
2. High profile Mii Costumes from Smash WiiU/3DS are being upgraded to fully playable characters.

Leaks:
1. Vergeben says we’re getting a Square Enix rep and has yet to be wrong about anything else he’s claimed.
2. Tansut (who leaked Cloud’s inclusion in Smash WiiU/3DS) has said Square Enix is upset by a legitimate leak that is floating around the internet.
3. We have a beautifully done render of Geno that no one can outright disprove despite everyone picking it apart. If it’s real, it has been identified to be on the Delfino Plaza stage.

Some extra speculation:
1. We still don’t have a unique newcomer Mario character. I think it will be Geno, and his status as a Mario character is why I think he’ll be the final reveal.

Make a wish. I have a feeling it will finally be granted. If Square is truly upset about info leaking, odds are the reveal will come sooner than later to stamp out the leaks.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I have an idea for how Geno's trailer would play out. But it hinges on him being the last character reveal
So, it starts off as a reference to the Smash 64 intro, with Master Hand pulling dolls out of the toy box. However, after he pulls Mario out of the box. He pulls some other dolls
And then, he just dumps out the entire toy box onto the table, with dolls of most, if not all of the characters in the game. Master Hand then reaches into the pile, suspense builds up as he slowly pulls something out of the pile. And he pulls out a Geno doll.
That would be a really great concept, I’d smile due to the pure nostalgia of the old 64 intro, but would be really speechless once I saw Geno emerge that way. :grin:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
And after he pulls out the Geno doll, he uses Geno Whirl on Master Hand and deals 9999 damage to it, killing it instantly. Then it cuts to gameplay footage which will hopefully put him next to his cast mates from Super Mario RPG as well as next to his fellow arm-cannon wielding friends Samus and Mega Man all charging their weapons in unison.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
i imagine geno whirl doing 999% damage would be like Peach pulling out bob ombs and mr. saturns, very small chance of happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom