• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I hope that's an exaggeration, because... uh...

(°Д ° ;; )
Nope, I was laser focus. I love Bayonetta 2 and felt that she belongs with the Nintendo family. Plus I knew there was a good connection between her and Pit. I may have wasted a lot of time, but I have no regrets.

Dan

Smash Lord
I think the only game that wasn't divisive in some way was 64 lol
It's definitely the least-talked about and potentially least played game in the series... it's really awesome looking back on it: the menus, aesthetics and music were quite unique, isolating and charming.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to clear up; we have evidence that suggests Bayonetta was started before the ballot. However, the data didn't exist to us till 2 weeks into the ballot. We don't know if the ballot actually influenced her being playable or not.

It was already brought up that she could be worked on before being licensed(something I didn't know was possible), but we lack a lot of details to say anything for sure. While I personally believe she was chosen beforehand, there's too much leeway to show this as a for sure thing. We don't know how the licensing happened, etc.

Also, it was more of a suggestion box anyway. It was going for multiple potential characters. There's no single winner. Ridley and K. Rool, for two examples, got in due to the ballot. Numbers alone aren't the key factor, but the fact both were highly popular among the ballot still mattered. Besides that, Castlevania votes were why Simon and Richter were chosen. Sakurai also notes that Chrom and Dark Samus were added due to fan demand, which implies the Ballot being used. There's also a really damn good chance Banjo-Kazooie got in due to the ballot as part of why. So basically, there's just multiple winners, cause as a suggestion box, it wanted more to add to future Smash games as is. And this isn't even including things like Assist Trophies or Mii Costumes, many of which are popular picks or returning options(Isaac, for instance).

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's definitely the least-talked about and potentially least played game in the series... it's really awesome looking back on it: the menus, aesthetics and music were quite unique, isolating and charming.
Smash 64 is really great; I still get a kick out of returning to that game every now and then. Nothing like the memories of getting it for my birthday in 1999 and beating it that night with Samus. I actually played Ultimate's classic mode with Samus when I first bought it in memory of that night and it still holds a special place in my heart. Also helicopter Luigi ftw.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Eh, Smash 4 was divisive overall even without this happening, so at least the fan campaigns in those days mostly amounted to something. And everyone knew that Smash Tour was a stupid idea that shouldn't be used again.

That's a good compromise. Plus, he doesn't hurt himself like Pichu does, so he'd be more traditional, as glass canons go.
Yeah, I don't think he'd be crazy light like Pichu or Jigglypuff, but he'd be in the lowest weight tier I imagine (He's just a puppet anyway and he's a glass canon in Super Mario RPG, so yeah). Then again, being a glass canon even to the degree that Pichu isn't a bad thing in Ultimate haha (at least pre-patch Pichu was amazing, I'm still a little miffed they nerfed so much about Pichu and didn't touch Pikachu really... I want Pichu to be so much more than a joke character and I never liked them before Ultimate haha).

On an unrelated note, I'm still confused why the whole Bayonetta thing is such a topic of conversation for the community. Like it's certainly intriguing to a degree, sure, but I'm confused as to why she still gets so much salt when Ultimate exists and put a ton of fan requested characters in. We basically got the best of both worlds, Bayonetta and the fan favorites in. And for all we know the Ballot could have started with the intention of putting a "realizable" character in as the final one beyond Bayonetta, but the months in between the ballot and her release led to Nintendo deciding to move on and just put all of the resources towards the next console. It may just be that Bayonetta was never intended to be the final character... But it's also possible she was a popular pick that Nintendo could realize easily enough, so they went with her. Again, what does it really matter almost four years later when pretty much everything else has happened anyway thanks to Ultimate haha?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
All this talk about which characters are liked just goes to show that someone is everyone's favorite, so saying that "no one even wanted this" is most definitely an exaggeration. Plus, characters can help get you into certain series that you wouldn't have otherwise! For me personally, I'm starting with Dragon Quest 11 once it comes out on Switch. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, and Earthbound are all among those who I accessed first through Smash! That's why I always try to give characters a chance, even if they don't suit me personally at first. I'm sure there will be plenty of new people who could get introduced to Super Mario RPG if Geno was in Smash as well.

Although I did try to give Corrin a chance, and they really aren't my favorite tbh

Dan

Smash Lord
On an unrelated note, I'm still confused why the whole Bayonetta thing is such a topic of conversation for the community. Like it's certainly intriguing to a degree, sure, but I'm confused as to why she still gets so much salt when Ultimate exists and put a ton of fan requested characters in. We basically got the best of both worlds, Bayonetta and the fan favorites in. And for all we know the Ballot could have started with the intention of putting a "realizable" character in as the final one beyond Bayonetta, but the months in between the ballot and her release led to Nintendo deciding to move on and just put all of the resources towards the next console. It may just be that Bayonetta was never intended to be the final character... But it's also possible she was a popular pick that Nintendo could realize easily enough, so they went with her. Again, what does it really matter almost four years later when pretty much everything else has happened anyway thanks to Ultimate haha?
Now it doesn't seem that bad, but the way we ended on her and Corrin was horrible... regardless, it wasn't as bad as the plant.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now it doesn't seem that bad, but the way we ended on her and Corrin was horrible... regardless, it wasn't as bad as the plant.
And that is the cue for this conversation to cease. Don't know if the rule layed out by Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth is still in play, but conversing about you know who is still a bad idea. Just getting that out there right away.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Caught up in Final Fantasy XIV and heading out of town tomorrow. I take everything has died down until more is revealed or possibly leaked.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Infracted for flaming other fanbases
Sakurai made a tweet earlier today where he grieving over the KyoAni arson attack and the first thing I see are POS Sora fans begging Sakurai to put their precious little Disney Princess in Smash Bros.

It angers me.

I don't know how else to put it but Sora fans are literally cancer. The only thing redeemable about that POS franchise is the fact that Yoko Shimomura composes the music.

Aside from that, this is why Geno cannot lose out to Sora. We cannot confirm that level of toxicity and say that kind of disgusting behavior will get you places.

I'm sorry if it seems off topic. But the fact that Sora fans are so petty about this whole thing not only doesn't surprise me, but it angers me. They deserve nothing. I could always just storm their group, but they do not deserve the recognition.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about which characters are liked just goes to show that someone is everyone's favorite, so saying that "no one even wanted this" is most definitely an exaggeration. Plus, characters can help get you into certain series that you wouldn't have otherwise! For me personally, I'm starting with Dragon Quest 11 once it comes out on Switch. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, and Earthbound are all among those who I accessed first through Smash! That's why I always try to give characters a chance, even if they don't suit me personally at first. I'm sure there will be plenty of new people who could get introduced to Super Mario RPG if Geno was in Smash as well.

Although I did try to give Corrin a chance, and they really aren't my favorite tbh
I agree with this there's a favorite for everyone and every character is a favorite of someone even Plant while nobody may have wanted them I'm sure a lot of people had the "I never knew I wanted this until now!" mindset but let's stop talking about the plant, Point is each character can introduce a series to someone and each character have their fans and I don't think there's any exceptions to that.

I for one have also gotten introduced to Xenoblade through Shulk, Mother through Ness and Lucas (Mother 3 is now one of my favorite games ever), Fire Emblem through the FE characters, Even Castlevania through Simon and Richter, Dragon Quest through Hero and I'll be picking up DQ11S when it releases, Etc.

I sort of view adding franchises to Smash as a beautiful way to introduce someone to that franchise and it gives people a drive to check out those games or franchises which is the reason why I'm always excited for new franchises to be added to Smash. A favorite is a favorite and I'm sure each character has at least one fan.

Anyways with that ramble over I'm going to sleep, Goodnight.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Sakurai made a tweet earlier today where he grieving over the KyoAni arson attack and the first thing I see are POS Sora fans begging Sakurai to put their precious little Disney Princess in Smash Bros.

It angers me.

I don't know how else to put it but Sora fans are literally cancer. The only thing redeemable about that POS franchise is the fact that Yoko Shimomura composes the music.

Aside from that, this is why Geno cannot lose out to Sora. We cannot confirm that level of toxicity and say that kind of disgusting behavior will get you places.

I'm sorry if it seems off topic. But the fact that Sora fans are so petty about this whole thing not only doesn't surprise me, but it angers me. They deserve nothing. I could always just storm their group, but they do not deserve the recognition.
Yeah I've never liked sora fans either. Majority of them I've met has been pretty toxic. ESPECIALLY when you bring up Geno, then they really start to become cancer.

Agreed, we can't lose to them. Erdrick fans were chill, I didn't mind them getting in, if Sora gets in before us then we might as well give up, because they sure as **** didn't deserve it imo.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

It angers me.

Look, you can't blame the Sora fans for a few bad apples in the group. Each support base has people like. It sucks, but you can't throw away a character because a few act like idiots.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah I've never liked sora fans either. Majority of them I've met has been pretty toxic. ESPECIALLY when you bring up Geno, then they really start to become cancer.

Agreed, we can't lose to them. Erdrick fans were chill, I didn't mind them getting in, if Sora gets in before us then we might as well give up, because they sure as **** didn't deserve it imo.
I won't give up, but I sure won't be happy about them beating us out. But you know, Di$ney thrives on destroying the little guys and buying their accolades.

Look, you can't blame the Sora fans for a few bad apples in the group. Each support base has people like. It sucks, but you can't throw away a character because a few act like idiots.
See, I can give Waluigi a pass because it really was a small number of bad apples. But not these guys. With these guys, it's constantly like this. And wishing us to fail for their own gain only makes it worse.

They are the literal worst fandom in Smash.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I remember there were some Erdrick fans acting toxic on GameFAQS when the datamine happen. I remember Steve Dan's acting terrible. You don't need to look that far to find that there are toxic people in each support group. It's like yin yang, there's always bad with good and good with bad.

I say that Sora would be cool. He's a character who's all about crossover, feels fitting for a character like that to get in. Also great moveset potential and keyblade are cool. I would like Sora and Geno to get in Smash Bros.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I remember there were some Erdrick fans acting toxic on GameFAQS when the datamine happen. I remember Steve Dan's acting terrible. You don't need to look that far to find that there are toxic people in each support group. It's like yin yang, there's always bad with good and good with bad.

I say that Sora would be cool. He's a character who's all about crossover, feels fitting for a character like that to get in. Also great moveset potential and keyblade are cool. I would like Sora and Geno to get in Smash Bros.
There is always going to be bad apples no matter what fan base it is. And no matter how many you supect there are, they are always the minority. I am sure there a bad Sora fans, but in comparison to the number of fans out there and the amount of people who have bought the game? It's a minority.

I agree he would be a good choice. While I am not the biggest Sora supporter, he would be a rather cool moveset and I have many people I know who would love him to get in. I just want other characters more than Sora, which is kinda weird considering I grew up on KH 1 and 2.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
See, I can give Waluigi a pass because it really was a small number of bad apples. But not these guys. With these guys, it's constantly like this. And wishing us to fail for their own gain only makes it worse.

I like how the definition for "worst fandom in smash" changes depending on where you go. Ask the Banjo thread who they think the worst fandom in Smash is.

T2by4

Smash Lord

Implying that there were genuine erdrick supporters prior to the leak. Those were obvious trolls tbh. Never took them as seriously. Sorafans would genuinely kill for sora to get in.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Still beyond upset I can't use Smash 64 menu sounds for Ultimate's menu. It's the only one you can't select ;_;

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Implying that there were genuine erdrick supporters prior to the leak. Those were obvious trolls tbh. Never took them as seriously. Sorafans would genuinely kill for sora to get in.
Just because a leak increases a characters fan base doesn't mean all of them aren't genuine. While there was certainly those who joined the bandwagon just because they wanted to be right, people could very well realize how much they wanted a character because of the exposure. Before Grinch, I didn't even give a second glance at Mach Rider, but the exposure that character got allowed for me to learn about them and really want them in. Mach Rider is now my most wanted retro character.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

I've seen many different support group wishing for Geno to fail, not just the Sora group. Honestly the one group I see that really want a lot of people to fail was the Steve group, but that's probably because Steve became the mascot of trolls on 4chan. It's hard to tell where all these fanbases stand but I know the
We all would kill for our most wanted characters to get in. I spent majority of my college night keep voting for Bayonetta for several months at least 100 each day.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman

It angers me.

I sincerely hope you realize that not everyone who would enjoy Sora in Smash behaves that way. Generalizing and bashing in general isn't really cool. Many people have multiple characters they'd like and I for one think a future where Geno and Sora can duke it out would be a beautiful one indeed.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Erdrick fans were chill, I didn't mind them getting in, if Sora gets in before us then we might as well give up, because they sure as **** didn't deserve it imo.
Eh, I'm not sure where you spent the months leading up to E3 but there were definitely some not at all chill Erdrick fans around these threads not to mention all the "Hoes Mad" posters on Twitter and elsewhere. Versus the Sora fans that I've interacted with here and on social media have mostly been fine. That's the thing with personal experience. There are so many people out in the world when it comes to big fandoms that it's inevitable people will run into bad actors and not cool people while also running into chill and sensible people. That's just how it goes.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman

I won't give up, but I sure won't be happy about them beating us out. But you know, Di$ney thrives on destroying the little guys and buying their accolades.

*sigh* nevermind...I'll see myself out

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've seen many different support group wishing for Geno to fail, not just the Sora group. Honestly the one group I see that really want a lot of people to fail was the Steve group, but that's probably because Steve became the mascot of trolls on 4chan. It's hard to tell where all these fanbases stand but I know the
I don't really get why people gave those fake Steve fans and their deformed render the time of day.

At least the true Steve fans that are immature still sincerely want him and may just be younger.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
View attachment 231864

This is fake for sure but it made me smile and I enjoyed reading it.

Enjoy
As nice sounding of a fake as this is it's hard not to be suspicious of the intent here. There's a part of me that sees this as just being someone's attempt to rile up Geno fans to later make those of us to believe it and spread it to look dumb. Especially considering the heavy focus on Geno and the idea of cut content including playing as his star form which has no historical basis. Idk maybe this is just coming from me remembering the daily Geno bait and falseflag threads on /v/ leading up to SSBUs release.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, you dont have to leave. We arent attacking you for feeling that way. Anyone is welcome here
Except you kinda were. Labeling the whole fanbase, generalizing, calling all the Sora fans cancer. You even said...
I could always just storm their group, but they do not deserve the recognition.
That is not exactly hospitable for Sora fans who want to support us.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
View attachment 231864

Enjoy
I've been think about a potential Super Mario RPG Remake for awhile now (not really as a legit prediction, but just hope). In my own scenario, I don't think Square Enix would be handling development themselves though; I think the characters and music would be loaned out to Alpha Dream. We have job listings confirming that they have moved onto the Switch, Yoshihiko Maekawa (producer of the Mario & Luigi games and original co-director of Super Mario RPG) has commented on bringing back Geno and Mallow, and a project like this would be very fitting for their first step back into console development (because, as you probably know, multiple key staff members at Alpha Dream are ex-Square employees).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
View attachment 231864

Enjoy
For as sick /v/ gets of this sort of stuff. They sure do love posting in them when they pop up. That is a lot more responses than most fake threads.

And besides. A Super Mario RPG remake is not completely out of the question. SE has been in full blown remake mode for the last several years. With SE's continued support for the Switch and the relationship they seem to be making with Nintendo over smash. Things could finally be in place for a remake to happen.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unfortunately there is still not much thing to do Sakurai can do for Geno within his power. Since it's Square and Enix who holds the major power to bring him back to the major spotlights.
Definitely the support Geno got from Sakurai is not as much as BowserJr or Rosalina's from Miyamoto.
True, but Sakurai has the final say on who get's in the roster. If Sakurai doesn't want a character to happen, they're not happening.

Yeah, I don't think he'd be crazy light like Pichu or Jigglypuff, but he'd be in the lowest weight tier I imagine (He's just a puppet anyway and he's a glass canon in Super Mario RPG, so yeah). Then again, being a glass canon even to the degree that Pichu isn't a bad thing in Ultimate haha (at least pre-patch Pichu was amazing, I'm still a little miffed they nerfed so much about Pichu and didn't touch Pikachu really... I want Pichu to be so much more than a joke character and I never liked them before Ultimate haha).

Well I never ******* about that. Even way before characters I wanted like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie were announced for Ultimate, I just moved on from the Ballot after Bayonetta was unofficially declared the winner by Sakurai. To me, getting Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie was like winning the lottery three times so I didn't care if they came 4 to 5 years after Bayonetta. People who are still upset about Smash 4's Final Presentation really need to move on.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Talking about SMRPG remakes, if it really goes to full control by Alpha Team and Nintendo without right transfer, my major concern is that Geno and Mallow won't return. Yeah, it's a weird assumption since Mallow is related to his chapter, but I'm concerned that Nintendo would manage to replace them with other new characters in the end like how they removed Geno cameo from M&L remake.

But I do want to see a remake, if Square agrees to bring back Geno and Mallow, to make the whole game more adjust to the current Mario canon. The old game was kinda outdated in canon and designs (Mushroom Kingdom castle, crew etc) and it would be a problem if we want to promote it to young gamers.

True, but Sakurai has the final say on who get's in the roster. If Sakurai doesn't want a character to happen, they're not happening.
That's true. Just after that it's about choices between all wanted candidates.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
*Sigh* As a Sora fan I'm a little disappointed to see this drama unfold in this thread, I know each fandom has a couple of bad apples but come on guys...
It goes all ways unfortunately... Stuff like this causes such a downward spiral of hate and bad impressions.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
*Sigh* As a Sora fan I'm a little disappointed to see this drama unfold in this thread, I know each fandom has a couple of bad apples but come on guys...
I apologize for my fellow Geno fans who are so ridiculously spiteful over Sora. Doesn't matter why, only that they are.

As someone who used to be a Kingdom Hearts fan before KH3, I also wanted Sora in the game and in some ways still wouldn't mind seeing him.

Here's to Sora hopefully making it into Smash, and here's to hoping that the hateful Geno Bros here grow up and stop acting like typical Smash Trash that we do our best to be better than.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom