• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Isn't this leak that's being talked about the same one that had some pretty outlandish stuff like FFVII remake, Cuphead, and KHIII coming to Switch? Or is there some other leak I'm not aware of?

Not to rain down on the parade or anything and I'd be down for Geno in Smash, just throwing that out there.
Yep, that's the one.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
(name correction, it's geno flash not blast for the down B, blast is the big cannon) Interesting interpretation here, though I wonder why it's so short height-wise.
Actually no, it's correct.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Blast

Now, why is the shiny light move called "Blast" and the literal cannon called "Flash" we'll never know.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I hope that if the 22nd rumor turns out to be false, that we will all have learned our lesson and stop putting so much faith into random leaks.

The one valuable thing we could get are new assist trophies which, if they reveal popular candidates for them, would give us deconfirmations.

That's on the more negative side of things but hey, better to know now than later. Rip the bandaid off and all.
or you know maybe some assist trophies will come out of other requested characters thus thinning the herd and increasing Geno's chances ;)
I mean it will suck for them and they will have my condolences. but not gonna lie, sometimes when I see one of the likely picks deconfirmed it gives me a little more hope for my picks that have yet to be revealed.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think the virtual console release and SNES classic did more for Geno's popularity than people know. I played the VC with my soon to be fiance and convinced my 2 best friends to get it too. My brother got into it on the snes classic and now all of us are on the Geno for smash train. My Call of Cthulhu table top rpg group all tried it too on an SNES classic in the house we go to and they're all supporters too. That's ten more supporters just in my little group.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Another thing about that leak, it said that Metal Sonic would be announced to be playable in the future for Sonic Mania. Now, idk how many of you have been keeping up with the Sonic Mania shorts, but the final one came out today and it was quite intresting in it's regaurd to Metal Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSc3ASFoG8
What does that video have to do with anything?

How do we know it's not a fan made short? I mean it's not the sega offical channel.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

How do we know it's not a fan made short? I mean it's not the sega offical channel.
Pretty sure that's an official channel. It's got a check mark and everything.

Also we live in a world now where Chili dogs in sonic are canon

Edit: Also if you go to https://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/ and click "Youtube" it'll take you to that channel

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

How do we know it's not a fan made short?
It is official, as it premiers on the official Sonic channel and was used to hype up Sonic Mania Plus. The reason this video might help the leak, though help is different from confirm(this is all speculation), is how they handle Metal Sonic. The leak states that the direct will show that Metal is planned to be playable in a future update, and these shorts line up well with this idea. In the final short alone, Metal goes super, something he has never done before. But if he were to be playable, he would have to have a super form and this could be a hint towards his future playable status. Another thing that raises an eyebrow is what happens when he is defeated. Rather than blowing up or deactivating like usual after his defeat, he is sent flying away with Eggman. That almost screams that the Sonic team aren't done using Metal, as why wouldn't they destroy him like they usually do? The last bit is that all 5 Sonic shorts seem to focus on specific playable characters. 1 was for Sonic, 2 was for Tails, 3 was for Knuckles, 4 was a joint between the returning characters Ray and Mighty, and 5 almost seems to be dedicated towards Metal. There is the argument that 5 could be dedicated to all the characters, but Knuckles is gone for most of it and only appears near the end to punch Metal and leave. It all lines up a little to well for some.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yep, the five shorts were made for Sonic Mania Plus, the DLC that featured both Mighty, Ray, and Encore Mode. Just finished streaming Mighty's playthrough. It's a lot of fun.

Doesn't Metal Sonic turn into Mecha Sonic with the Master Emerald? In Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I think that's how it was.

Anyway, Metal Sonic has been in Sonic Mania as a boss. Seems like they could make him playable. Not sure if that would be the only thing that they would add to Sonic Mania for a second DLC pack. Seems like there would need to be more than just that. Maybe having the "Super Emeralds" from Sonic 3 & Knuckles included, with more Zones to playthrough?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It is official, as it premiers on the official Sonic channel and was used to hype up Sonic Mania Plus. The reason this video might help the leak, though help is different from confirm(this is all speculation), is how they handle Metal Sonic. The leak states that the direct will show that Metal is planned to be playable in a future update, and these shorts line up well with this idea. In the final short alone, Metal goes super, something he has never done before. But if he were to be playable, he would have to have a super form and this could be a hint towards his future playable status. Another thing that raises an eyebrow is what happens when he is defeated. Rather than blowing up or deactivating like usual after his defeat, he is sent flying away with Eggman. That almost screams that the Sonic team aren't done using Metal, as why wouldn't they destroy him like they usually do? The last bit is that all 5 Sonic shorts seem to focus on specific playable characters. 1 was for Sonic, 2 was for Tails, 3 was for Knuckles, 4 was a joint between the returning characters Ray and Mighty, and 5 almost seems to be dedicated towards Metal. There is the argument that 5 could be dedicated to all the characters, but Knuckles is gone for most of it and only appears near the end to punch Metal and leave. It all lines up a little to well for some.
Cool

This is interesting

That means 4 things are right if this is pointed toward that,

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Doesn't Metal Sonic turn into Mecha Sonic with the Master Emerald? In Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I think that's how it was.
Mecha and Metal are two entirely different versions of a Robot Sonic. Mecha Sonic appears in Sonic & Knuckles and uses the Master Emerald to temporarily go super, but it is just a golden form of himself. The Metal Sonic we have come to know first appears in Sonic CD. I think Metal trying to use the Master Emerald was a nod to Mecha. It's weird, Mecha is remembered today, but I think it mostly has to do with his role in SMBZ animation series.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Mecha and Metal are two entirely different versions of a Robot Sonic. Mecha Sonic appears in Sonic & Knuckles and uses the Master Emerald to temporarily go super, but it is just a golden form of himself. The Metal Sonic we have come to know first appears in Sonic CD. I think Metal trying to use the Master Emerald was a nod to Mecha. It's weird, Mecha is remembered today, but I think it mostly has to do with his role in SMBZ animation series.
Ok. That makes more sense. I guess I just always thought they were the same character.

Here is why I remember Metal Sonic: The Sonic the Hedgehog Anime/Cartoon movie. He was the villain, so I always associated him with S3&K's villain. Guess I just assumed they were the same/improved upon.

Sonic CD being Metal Sonic's main appearance is the problem. Not everyone had the opportunity to play that. I know I didn't until much later. As a kid, I didn't even know it existed until much later.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Another thing about that leak, it said that Metal Sonic would be announced to be playable in the future for Sonic Mania. Now, idk how many of you have been keeping up with the Sonic Mania shorts, but the final one came out today and it was quite intresting in it's regaurd to Metal Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSc3ASFoG8
Unrelated, but that prompted me to watch the whole miniseries and it was incredible

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ok. That makes more sense. I guess I just always thought they were the same character.

Here is why I remember Metal Sonic: The Sonic the Hedgehog Anime/Cartoon movie. He was the villain, so I always associated him with S3&K's villain. Guess I just assumed they were the same/improved upon.

Sonic CD being Metal Sonic's main appearance is the problem. Not everyone had the opportunity to play that. I know I didn't until much later. As a kid, I didn't even know it existed until much later.
That makes sense. I do wonder why Metal became the most iconic of the Sonic robots. Maybe he just made a better double to Sonic and his speed compared to the clunky Silver Sonic and bulky Mecha Sonic.
Anyways, back to Geno. We can talk about the leak if something new comes up. Something has been gnawing at me for awhile now and want to ask you guys about it. Geno feels very anime to me. And when I say "anime," I don't mean the modern stereotypes for anime, but just anime in general. It's hard to explain. I mean, if you were to describe his character, people would never guess he was a Mario, or belonged to any Square property. Honestly, at times he sounds like some obscure Dragon Ball character. What do you guys think?
Unrelated, but that prompted me to watch the whole miniseries and it was incredible
It's a lot of fun, and you can tell a lot of love was put into it. Shame it's so short.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Very much agreed! I've been following it closely since they first announced it. It's possibly the best Sonic animation I've seen. Though, I will always love SatAM.

Anyways, back to Geno. We can talk about the leak if something new comes up. Something has been gnawing at me for awhile now and want to ask you guys about it. Geno feels very anime to me. And when I say "anime," I don't mean the modern stereotypes for anime, but just anime in general. It's hard to explain. I mean, if you were to describe his character, people would never guess he was a Mario, or belonged to any Square property. Honestly, at times he sounds like some obscure Dragon Ball character. What do you guys think?
Well...I sort of see what you mean, as he doesn't quite match anything either company has done before. If I try to picture him in Mario sports titles, or in a Square Enix RPG, it just doesn't seem right. Even Mallow sort of avoids this, seeing as how he's basically just a living version of your typical Mario cloud (like Lakitu rides.)

But honestly, I don't have a problem with it. That is Geno. He may not fit either company's styles exactly, but he is the perfect representation of the two combined. He is a Nintendo and Square character. He exists only when the two merge. He is both lighthearted and innocent, and dark and serious. He is distinctly Mario RPG, and perfectly embodies the theme of the game, the FEEL of it, and the essence of those two companies at the time the game was made. I'm not even sure a character that feels like he does could exist now at all. I keep trying to envision a new Mario RPG, a modern one, but somehow it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure the feeling CAN be captured again.

And so that's Geno. He's sort of like that feeling. Something that can never be recreated. And honestly, I'm not positive he'll fit anywhere but Smash. But I'd be fine with that, or to be proven wrong and see him in modern Mario games, or perhaps Mario and Luigi. They MIGHT be able to pull it off with Paper Mario, but I don't know. Personally, I just want him in Smash, where he belongs.:)

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
The art style is amazing. I was watching these as they dropped! If anyone wants to watch all five episodes, then just click here.

That makes sense. I do wonder why Metal became the most iconic of the Sonic robots. Maybe he just made a better double to Sonic and his speed compared to the clunky Silver Sonic and bulky Mecha Sonic.
Probably has the best looking design of the three. Plus, being on the cover of Sonic CD also probably helped a ton.

Very much agreed! I've been following it closely since they first announced it. It's possibly the best Sonic animation I've seen. Though, I will always love SatAM.
Loved SatAM. Really wish that show would have kept going. Check out the Sonic CD Intro and Outro videos. It is just like the Sonic Mania stuff.

Well...I sort of see what you mean, as he doesn't quite match anything either company has done before. If I try to picture him in Mario sports titles, or in a Square Enix RPG, it just doesn't seem right. Even Mallow sort of avoids this, seeing as how he's basically just a living version of your typical Mario cloud (like Lakitu rides.)

But honestly, I don't have a problem with it. That is Geno. He may not fit either company's styles exactly, but he is the perfect representation of the two combined. He is a Nintendo and Square character. He exists only when the two merge. He is both lighthearted and innocent, and dark and serious. He is distinctly Mario RPG, and perfectly embodies the theme of the game, the FEEL of it, and the essence of those two companies at the time the game was made. I'm not even sure a character that feels like he does could exist now at all. I keep trying to envision a new Mario RPG, a modern one, but somehow it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure the feeling CAN be captured again.

And so that's Geno. He's sort of like that feeling. Something that can never be recreated. And honestly, I'm not positive he'll fit anywhere but Smash. But I'd be fine with that, or to be proven wrong and see him in modern Mario games, or perhaps Mario and Luigi. They MIGHT be able to pull it off with Paper Mario, but I don't know. Personally, I just want him in Smash, where he belongs.:)
It's another reason why I hope to see Geno. He is a great representative of Mario standards now. Star collecting? Happened here first. Bowser's personality being shaped? Started there. Mario RPGs now? Happened because of this. Nintendo being willing to let others handle Mario? Yep, it was because of SMRPG. I just really hope to see Geno in this game...

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It's another reason why I hope to see Geno. He is a great representative of Mario standards now. Star collecting? Happened here first. Bowser's personality being shaped? Started there. Mario RPGs now? Happened because of this. Nintendo being willing to let others handle Mario? Yep, it was because of SMRPG. I just really hope to see Geno in this game...
that's a good point I haven't thought of. but Mario RPG actually did have a measure of influence on the mario franchise.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
that's a good point I haven't thought of. but Mario RPG actually did have a measure of influence on the mario franchise.
Some other things that SMRPG did that were a first was the introduction of Toad Town and Peach's Castle. It is also the last Mario game to refer to Peach as Toadstool.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's been years since I have been on Smashboards but after hearing about a Geno thread still ongoing, I just had to jump in with my support!

There is nobody I want more in Smash Bros than him since Brawl. (I'm one of those guys)

Mega Man getting in was a big deal for me but Geno would probably provoke a bigger reaction since the struggle of wanting him in has been bigger than wanting Mega Man's inclusion.

To be fair, I just want Geno in any kind of Mario related game (Party, Kart etc) but having his legacy immortalized in Smash Bros would be such a big deal.

If there is anything I can do to contribute, please let me know. Thanks!

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
If a direct is set for that leaked date (the 22nd), do you think they'd announce it at the beginning of Comic-Con or set it as a "surprise" announcement?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If a direct is set for that leaked date (the 22nd), do you think they'd announce it at the beginning of Comic-Con or set it as a "surprise" announcement?
It's being said that now a direct is apparently happening tomorrow. Interesting thing to note is that it does take a lot from the previous leak like the New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. (Earlier one mentioned something about a NSMB game with Wario in it)

Source: https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1019526068263358464

If this were to be true, it could play into the leak that recently flip flopped over K.Rool and Dixie reveal to instead be a K.Rool/Geno reveal. But who knows at this point

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's being said that now a direct is apparently happening tomorrow. Interesting thing to note is that it does take a lot from the previous leak like the New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. (Earlier one mentioned something about a NSMB game with Wario in it)

Source: https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1019526068263358464

If this were to be true, it could play into the leak that recently flip flopped over K.Rool and Dixie reveal to instead be a K.Rool/Geno reveal. But who knows at this point
Only problem being that I think only characters of the same franchise have been revealed together

Robin/ Lucina, Charizard/ Greninja (Though Charizard wasn't really new, he got a splash screen), Mii fighters sorta.

Although I think that was all of them

Edit: Also the person who tweeted that said NOT to take the "leak" seriously

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
A newcomer reveal is coming soon, that much is certain. It's been over a month, and with less than 5 months to go, there's no way they would leave a drought like this to go on much further.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A newcomer reveal is coming soon, that much is certain. It's been over a month, and with less than 5 months to go, there's no way they would leave a drought like this to go on much further.
It really could be that there is just so few new characters.

Directs also usually aren't monthly.

It's possibly August could be the next direct

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
There is a new Sakurai interview out
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/18/vol559/

if you don't want to read the whole thing Gamexplain does a good synopses of it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn1XnY1rerI

this has me thinking. after all the leaks that happened in the last game, and how important surprises are to Sakurai. I think it's possible none of the leaks are real and there are probably a whole lot more precautions being made to keep people from finding out about the new characters. so makes me even more suspicious of any of the leaks

MattX20

Smash Hero
It really could be that there is just so few new characters.

Directs also usually aren't monthly.

It's possibly August could be the next direct
Like I said before, they can't rely on Directs because of how infrequent they are/happen every 3-4 months. They would have to use the website or other events to get most of the reveals done. Plus, I seriously doubt they would have less than 5 newcomers including echo fighters left to reveal. He meant for us not to expect 21+ newcomers like the last game. Sakurai made a fairly big emphasis on just the original 12 characters from 64, which to me means that may very well be the total amount of characters to reveal not including potential DLC.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There is a new Sakurai interview out
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/18/vol559/

if you don't want to read the whole thing Gamexplain does a good synopses of it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn1XnY1rerI

this has me thinking. after all the leaks that happened in the last game, and how important surprises are to Sakurai. I think it's possible none of the leaks are real and there are probably a whole lot more precautions being made to keep people from finding out about the new characters. so makes me even more suspicious of any of the leaks
Two things. One, it does not matter what Sakurai thinks, a leaker is an entirely different person and Sakurai can only try his best to defend against them. Two, Smash Ultimate was actually leaked the day before the confrence, it just never got noticed because it was so seemingly ridiculous.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Regarding that interview:

The announcement that “Everyone is Here” was met with cheers and applause, but it can only happen once. In that sense, we may have opened Pandora’s Box and crushed the potential of future Smash titles.
That one sentence tells us a lot. This time around, they don't care -- Sakurai clearly just wants to do whatever will make the fans happy regardless of future cost.

Given that, I'd honestly be surprised (and not in a good way) to not see several fan favorites on the roster this time around, including and especially K. Rool and Geno. Possibly even Simon Belmont or Banjo too.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

That one sentence tells us a lot. This time around, they don't care -- Sakurai clearly just wants to do whatever will make the fans happy regardless of future cost.

Given that, I'd honestly be surprised (and not in a good way) to not see several fan favorites on the roster this time around, including and especially K. Rool and Geno. Possibly even Simon Belmont or Banjo too.
I feel like every time a new Smash comes out, Sakurai goes all out. That's why I think the fan service fighters like Geno and K. Rool will be in this time.

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462

Was Simon Belmont even on the radar prior to the leak? I didn't even know who he was, and I never really saw him mentioned before then. I doubt he was even top 20 in the smash ballot.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Like I said before, they can't rely on Directs because of how infrequent they are/happen every 3-4 months. They would have to use the website or other events to get most of the reveals done. Plus, I seriously doubt they would have less than 5 newcomers including echo fighters left to reveal. He meant for us not to expect 21+ newcomers like the last game. Sakurai made a fairly big emphasis on just the original 12 characters from 64, which to me means that may very well be the total amount of characters to reveal not including potential DLC.
I like your way of thinking! This is how I feel it will be. Of course, we'll know soon enough if they plan to do a newcomer each month...just two weeks. The tension is mounting.

It certainly does feel like Sakurai just decided "screw it. Let's get nuts. Everybody's getting in this, because we can't ever do this kind of thing again." He knows this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. And he's clearly willing to sacrifice a ton (including his personal gaming!) to make this happen.

Guys, I really do think this is big. There is gonna be some huge stuff coming, possibly that we never imagined. And I can't wait.

Clearly, Sakurai is excited as well. You can tell from his tone in the column. It sounds like, even though it's rough on him, he is just so pumped up about this. It's encouraging to see him so positive about this huge undertaking.

My only concern is that he might be too hyped to notice just how poorly he himself is faring. Last time, he was physically injured. Let's hope this Smash doesn't literally kill him...

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yay ultimate will be playable at EVO! here's hoping they do a character reveal during it as well!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My biggest concern has been whether or not Sakurai feels like the Mii Gunner was good enough for Geno. I keep thinking that could be a huge blow to Geno's chances if he comes into the limited new comers outcome thinking that.

Sakurai has stated that he believes that the Mii Gunner is close to what he imagines for Geno and has even been caught on record stating "even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

Source: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...and-4-could-he-make-it-upcoming-switch-title/

I personally think he has way more potential than what a Mii Fighter could ever provide him. Trust me, I was really psyched and excited for the Mii Costume for a few reasons. The main one being I was so drained from Rosalina and Cloud both getting into Smash Bros. Those reveals dashed my hopes for Geno the hardest and I probably didn't take either of them too well. The Cloud one felt like a huge slap in the face from a company that has basically ignored our star hero at every opportunity. So seeing both Sakurai acknowledge him the way he did along with Square officially being open to share the rights with him into Smash Bros pretty much gave me new life going into Smash Ultimate. (Especially with Cloud's return)

The only obstacle that keeps creeping back now at this point is whether or not Sakurai is planning on keeping Geno as a Mii Fighter costume with his words basically coming off like 'good enough' I think the chances of all the Mii Fighter 3DS/Wii U costumes returning are pretty good so secondary Mii Gunner 1111 might be the secondary to go with.

Again, I don't want to sound like a negative nate but I have days where I think the path is completely open for Geno and days where I feel like it's an impossible road for him and we'll be stuck with something like Bandana Dee or (god forbid SE torments again) Sora.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My biggest concern has been whether or not Sakurai feels like the Mii Gunner was good enough for Geno. I keep thinking that could be a huge blow to Geno's chances if he comes into the limited new comers outcome thinking that.

Sakurai has stated that he believes that the Mii Gunner is close to what he imagines for Geno and has even been caught on record stating "even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

Source: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...and-4-could-he-make-it-upcoming-switch-title/

I personally think he has way more potential than what a Mii Fighter could ever provide him. Trust me, I was really psyched and excited for the Mii Costume for a few reasons. The main one being I was so drained from Rosalina and Cloud both getting into Smash Bros. Those reveals dashed my hopes for Geno the hardest and I probably didn't take either of them too well. The Cloud one felt like a huge slap in the face from a company that has basically ignored our star hero at every opportunity. So seeing both Sakurai acknowledge him the way he did along with Square officially being open to share the rights with him into Smash Bros pretty much gave me new life going into Smash Ultimate. (Especially with Cloud's return)

The only obstacle that keeps creeping back now at this point is whether or not Sakurai is planning on keeping Geno as a Mii Fighter costume with his words basically coming off like 'good enough' I think the chances of all the Mii Fighter 3DS/Wii U costumes returning are pretty good so secondary Mii Gunner 1111 might be the secondary to go with.

Again, I don't want to sound like a negative nate but I have days where I think the path is completely open for Geno and days where I feel like it's an impossible road for him and we'll be stuck with something like Bandana Dee or (god forbid SE torments again) Sora.
There is also Source Gaming who feels Geno could make it in, but as an echo to the mii gunner.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Being 'stuck with' Bandana Dee sounds pretty great to me. I wanna see Geno in, too, but alongside Bandana Dee, not in opposition to him. I don't see why Bandana Dee would have any effect on Geno's chances, so I'm not sure why he's getting picked on here... (Sora, I get, since he's competition for a potential 'SquareEnix rep'.)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Being 'stuck with' Bandana Dee sounds pretty great to me. I wanna see Geno in, too, but alongside Bandana Dee, not in opposition to him. I don't see why Bandana Dee would have any effect on Geno's chances, so I'm not sure why he's getting picked on here... (Sora, I get, since he's competition for a potential 'SquareEnix rep'.)
It was pretty unfair of me to write off another potential new comer as a bad thing which I do apologies. I just am in ride or die mode at this point for you know who. It's all I want really.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know speaking of which it does seem like Geno has quite a few "competitors" when it comes to slots.
Sora competes for second square. captain Toad for a mario rep, and Paper Mario for RPG and mario rep.

granted all that said I still believe in Geno. honestly it feels like a lot of people are under valuing the weight of Sakurai's statement about wanting him in. he seems to even think quite highly of him.
And if Sakurai want's him in what's gonna stop him?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Square Enix. (literal satan lol)
I mean they have Cloud again. also if you read the interview of Sakurai and Nomura they did talking about Cloud's inclusion. it looked like the two of them got along really well. I'd dare say by the end of it the two of them sounded like friends.

in fact Square turned out to be the easiest of developers to work with. They didn't even give Sakurai any instructions on how to make Cloud (beyond the typical required legal stuff) and just gave him free reign to handle it himself

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

also my friend I think you underestimate the awesome power that is Sakurai.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As likely as things look for Geno in this game, I am sort of constantly vacillating on how likely he actually is. Sakurai supports him, the fans support him, and Square-Enix is on board once again for a Smash game with their main man Cloud already playable. He has a Mii costume that got a fairly large outcry from fans like King K. Rool, a splash screen reveal, and the Nintendo of America account bringing up the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG for no reason...

That all makes me really get my hopes up for Geno... but I can't kick the idea that Sakurai might just decide not to make him playable and leave us with the mii costume... I suppose that's way of keeping my expectations in check and not being so disappointed in the event he doesn't get in, but he's strangely the most unsafe safe bet we have. And that's just strange to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom