• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My only concern if he uses the mushroom icon and counts as a Mario rep is that we would never hear the end of it from Captain Toad, Paper Mario and maybe Waluigi supporters how an "undeserving" third party Mario character made it in over them. :p
That'd be nothing new, really, considering how much **** we get from those fanbases as is. Some people just don't know how to wait their turn... (although in that regard, Waluigi fans may well be waiting forever)

Lord Tetris

Smash Rookie
Holy cow, this thread is active. Good to see my puppet boy getting some love, he needs it. Y'all have my support :love:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Holy cow, this thread is active. Good to see my puppet boy getting some love, he needs it. Y'all have my support :love:
Yeah, no kidding. Smashboards decides to drop my notifications for this thread for a couple of days, and just like that, I miss three pages. Hate when that happens... on the bright side, though, I'm very glad people are now respecting Geno's chances by and large!

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Cloud(SE involvement), the ballot and Mii costume has surely done their work on renewing Geno support. I believe this is the chance for this star to shine.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm getting over a bad flu right now, so I have a little time to share my thoughts...

Firstly, I'm glad that the thread is bustling again. A few weeks ago, it was so dead I was afraid we'd have to bury it. But here we are again, silent supporters coming out of the shadows to speak their word, showing everyone else there still is a silent majority that wants Geno on the roster, and that's a good thing.

I'm also very VERY glad we have grown as a fanbase over the years, and left most of the toxicity that was prevalent in the Brawl days far behind. That is a very important step. I just hope the Waluigi fans are able to make that kind of progress, though given the insulting way they were disconfirmed, I can't fault them for being upset.

Things are really really looking up this time around! I just hope all of our effort bears fruit...

Does anyone know when the next Direct is?

I wish someone would set up another Change.org petition, not to persuade anybody but so we all have a means to show support and to get as proper a count as we can get for Geno supporters across the internet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm getting over a bad flu right now, so I have a little time to share my thoughts...

Firstly, I'm glad that the thread is bustling again. A few weeks ago, it was so dead I was afraid we'd have to bury it. But here we are again, silent supporters coming out of the shadows to speak their word, showing everyone else there still is a silent majority that wants Geno on the roster, and that's a good thing.

I'm also very VERY glad we have grown as a fanbase over the years, and left most of the toxicity that was prevalent in the Brawl days far behind. That is a very important step. I just hope the Waluigi fans are able to make that kind of progress, though given the insulting way they were disconfirmed, I can't fault them for being upset.

Things are really really looking up this time around! I just hope all of our effort bears fruit...

I wish someone would set up another Change.org petition, not to persuade anybody but so we all have a means to show support and to get as proper a count as we can get for Geno supporters across the internet.
The K Rool support thread had the idea of sending art to Sakurai to show their support. Maybe we can "@" Nintendo, Smash, and Sakurai on Twitter with great art and create our own

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

I wish it would be soon. I wanna find out if Geno made it. Stop keeping us in the dark Sakurai!

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't remember the Geno thread being this active back before Smash 4 dropped.
It has to be because we believe his chances are better than they were in Smash4, what with Cloud and the Geno costume being in the game, proving Sakurai is able to get the license to use him. Our morale is high, so we post more.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
It has to be because we believe his chances are better than the were in Smash4, what with Cloud and the Geno costume being in the game, proving Sakurai is able to get the license to use him. Our morale is high, so we post more.
This is a nut shell. I won't lie, after getting nothing Geno/Square related in Brawl, I thought all hope was lost. Sakurai had him in his journal entries/poll, but that was about it. I didn't think he had a shot at all in Smash 4, despite still hoping. After seeing his Mii Costume and how all of that transpired, it showed that Sakurai hasn't forgotten about him, and furthermore, he actively wanted him in the game. So where I thought he had no chance in Smash 4, I've completely changed my tune on him for Ultimate. I believe (as many of you do) that this is his best chance. I hate getting my hopes up, but to me, the stars are aligning. I just hope I'm not wrong. I'll always be cautiously optimistic.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
This is a nut shell. I won't lie, after getting nothing Geno/Square related in Brawl, I thought all hope was lost. Sakurai had him in his journal entries/poll, but that was about it. I didn't think he had a shot at all in Smash 4, despite still hoping. After seeing his Mii Costume and how all of that transpired, it showed that Sakurai hasn't forgotten about him, and furthermore, he actively wanted him in the game. So where I thought he had no chance in Smash 4, I've completely changed my tune on him for Ultimate. I believe (as many of you do) that this is his best chance. I hate getting my hopes up, but to me, the stars are aligning. I just hope I'm not wrong. I'll always be cautiously optimistic.
The journey has been long. But the best things in life are worth waiting for.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I became a Geno's fan because of Super Mario Bros Z. I made some research about the Axem Rangers and i found out about Mario RPG, a game that i didn't know at all since it wasn't released in Europe. I was curious and i saw the characters. Geno looked so cool and i really wanted to see more of this guy. Sadly, he just appeared in one game (also in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga but does this really count ?)

He is really interesting and there's a ton of options for his moveset. He's connected with the highest instances of the Mario Universe and also has an awesome original design.

When i was playing Brawl, i though that he has no chance and i though the same thing before Smash 4 came out. Then i saw the MII Costume and heard about Sakurai wanted him since Brawl. Now, i think that he is likely. We know for a fact that Mario, the biggest Nintendo's franchise will have a real newcomer. With Waluigi deconfirmed and Captain Toad in a blurry situation (feels unlikely because he just CAN'T jump, that's the main thing in his game), Geno seems like the only Mario characters that is Smash worthy.

I'm not saying he's a shoe-in because i don't think that Captain Toad is 100% deconfirmed, but i think that Geno is more likely than ever.

I really support him and hope he's going to make it !

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The K Rool support thread had the idea of sending art to Sakurai to show their support. Maybe we can "@" Nintendo, Smash, and Sakurai on Twitter with great art and create our own
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all actually.

Does anyone here want to organize/coordinate such an effort? If so, I'll find the time to whip up something and send it to Our Lord and Saviour Sakurai.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
No disrespect to Captain Toad fans, but I think Geno is just so much cooler. I agree, Captain Toad is far more relevant righ now, but a possessed doll with a gun for hand is so much more cooler than a dude with a mushroom hat searching for treasures. But that’s just me.

I don’t think either one is in competition with the other, but if we had to have one more Mario newcomer, I’d rather it be Geno.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Too show my support

I put geno in my post E3 prediction

I feel third times a charm Since sakurai wanted him twice

Last time it was near the ending square enix got involved this time it's near the beginning since cloud is base this time

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I became a Geno's fan because of Super Mario Bros Z. I made some research about the Axem Rangers and i found out about Mario RPG, a game that i didn't know at all since it wasn't released in Europe. I was curious and i saw the characters. Geno looked so cool and i really wanted to see more of this guy. Sadly, he just appeared in one game (also in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga but does this really count ?)

He is really interesting and there's a ton of options for his moveset. He's connected with the highest instances of the Mario Universe and also has an awesome original design.

When i was playing Brawl, i though that he has no chance and i though the same thing before Smash 4 came out. Then i saw the MII Costume and heard about Sakurai wanted him since Brawl. Now, i think that he is likely. We know for a fact that Mario, the biggest Nintendo's franchise will have a real newcomer. With Waluigi deconfirmed and Captain Toad in a blurry situation (feels unlikely because he just CAN'T jump, that's the main thing in his game), Geno seems like the only Mario characters that is Smash worthy.

I'm not saying he's a shoe-in because i don't think that Captain Toad is 100% deconfirmed, but i think that Geno is more likely than ever.

Omg Super Mario Bros. Z! I love it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I can point out square enix owns him and cloud is also owned by them

So this time sakurai probably had more time to attempt to convince them to let him make geno playable this time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all actually.

Does anyone here want to organize/coordinate such an effort? If so, I'll find the time to whip up something and send it to Our Lord and Saviour Sakurai.
I wonder if it'd be bad to organize it. It could seen as a mass spamming campaign.

Idk, I've never organized something like that.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I wonder if it'd be bad to organize it. It could seen as a mass spamming campaign.

Idk, I've never organized something like that.
You said yourself the K. Rool fans were doing it. As long as it was done in a respectful way, I don't see the harm. We all could just send him pictures throughout the summer instead of on one day, or something.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Somehow get enough people to get #GenoForSmash trending on twitter

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario Bros. Z... now that's something I haven't thought of in a long time. That series was my gateway to Mario RPG as well, as well as DBZ itself.

Pre-E3, Geno wasn't even on my radar, even knowing about previous Sakurai interviews. But Ultimate's Ridley reveal was so impactful, in that it not only gave Ridley fans sweet closure but was also like a signal to the hopes to fans of other long-awaited fan favorites like K. Rool and Geno. While K. Rool is my most-wanted newcomer, Geno is top 3 easy. And this is coming from someone who was so bad at SMRPG they couldn't get past the Coal Mines. Here's hoping they both get in.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
God, Super Mario Bros. Z? I remember that one. That's ancient. I really liked it back then but rewatching it now it's obviously quite dated, I feel. I used to be quite hyped for it because the creator said he was going to add Geno as well eventually, though that was way off into the future. Ah well, at least we got to see the Axem Rangers. He actually rebooted it awhile back, but he only made one episode and I get the impression he's definitely outgrown the project.

Newgrounds had some great Smash Bros content back then as well. One of the things that got me pumped up for Geno's chances in Brawl back in the day.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
God, Super Mario Bros. Z? I remember that one. That's ancient. I really liked it back then but rewatching it now it's obviously quite dated, I feel. I used to be quite hyped for it because the creator said he was going to add Geno as well eventually, though that was way off into the future. Ah well, at least we got to see the Axem Rangers. He actually rebooted it awhile back, but he only made one episode and I get the impression he's definitely outgrown the project.

Newgrounds had some great Smash Bros content back then as well. One of the things that got me pumped up for Geno's chances in Brawl back in the day.
He came back and tried to continue the series but he had copyright problems because he was only continuing the series if he could get paid through patreon.

Turns out you aren't allowed to do that

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I have this strong feeling of hope this time around that several of my dreams will come true in ultimate.

So count me in as a Geno supporter because this is our time!!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
He came back and tried to continue the series but he had copyright problems because he was only continuing the series if he could get paid through patreon.

Turns out you aren't allowed to do that
Oh that's sad because he told that he wants to use my Geno sprite sheet that I worked on with online friend when he reaches the Smithy saga

But at least the Geno sprite was moded into SSF2

Wambo

Smash Ace
Hey all! Long-time lurker and fellow Geno supporter here.

In my opinion, if Geno was popular enough to be acknowledged by Sakurai and receive a Mii costume in Smash 4 (like the Inklings did), I think he has a strong chance that he'll finally make it into this game (or as DLC).

A Nimbus Land or Forest Maze stage would be awesome too, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think if SMRPG gets a stage it will either be forest maze or Exor on Bowser's Castle

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! Long-time lurker and fellow Geno supporter here.

In my opinion, if Geno was popular enough to be acknowledged by Sakurai and receive a Mii costume in Smash 4 (like the Inklings did), I think he has a strong chance that he'll finally make it into this game (or as DLC).

A Nimbus Land or Forest Maze stage would be awesome too, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.
Or they do a Smithy's Factory level with Smelter?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Geno would be a character revealed through a Direct. I feel like he probably wouldn't and would be a surprise after the game's release. Which is a shame, because I would love to see a CGI cutscene made for him if he were in the game.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wonder if Geno would be a character revealed through a Direct. I feel like he probably wouldn't and would be a surprise after the game's release. Which is a shame, because I would love to see a CGI cutscene made for him if he were in the game.
Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog were both unique newcomers not revealed prior to Smash 3DS, and they got newcomer trailers. Admittedly in large part due to the Wii U version still coming out, but I think Sakurai would like to continue including CGI or other unique trailers for all newcomers honestly. He seems to have a lot of fun with them in terms of creation and style, so I wouldn't count that out.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I definitely think Geno will get a trailer. Especially since there won't be that many newcomers, as Sakurai said.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What was everyone’s favorite weapon for Geno in SMRPG?

I’m stuck between the Hand Gun and the Double Punch. The animation on the Hand Gun was probably my favorite but the Double Punch felt the most satisfying to use in my opinion

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The final weapon, I think it's called the Star Shot, I can never tell if I get the timed hit correct.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The final weapon, I think it's called the Star Shot, I can never tell if I get the timed hit correct.
I’m not the only one then! That was definitely the weirdest timed hit of any of his weapons. Clearly his best weapon, but didn’t feel as satisfying as a lot of his others did

TBone06

Smash Ace
I definitely think Geno will get a trailer. Especially since there won't be that many newcomers, as Sakurai said.
Especially since he has that popularity. I feel if he was revealed, it would be almost as big as Ridley. No question in my mind if he wants to make a mark, he'd make a trailer for him. They are tons of fun to watch. Even a few DLC characters got reveal trailers, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

Also, Star Shot for sure, but like others, the timed hits were tricky on it.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Especially since he has that popularity. I feel if he was revealed, it would be almost as big as Ridley. No question in my mind if he wants to make a mark, he'd make a trailer for him. They are tons of fun to watch. Even a few DLC characters got reveal trailers, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

Also, Star Shot for sure, but like others, the timed hits were tricky on it.
I think Geno would get a trailer, but it wouldn't be as lengthy/detailed as Ridley's.

I predict a short, mostly dark trailer, with the seven stars from SMRPG aligning in the sky, shooting down a beam into a limp, silhouetted figure. The figure would stand up and be revealed as Geno, with the tagline going something like "The Stars Have Aligned For Geno!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom