• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Lots of people like certain characters, but never really give them time of day because they know they shouldn't get their hopes up. Every character has tons of silent fans out there.
Some people just think that some characters are lost to time. Like Mike Jones from Startropics, or Geno and Mallow. It's because there has been nothing done with them in years and they are rarely if ever referred to by their creators/publishers.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I was just thinking about this recently, and I'd actually go with this, right at about 54 seconds in:

If the tune ended with one repetition and a more final note (I'm not sure of the musical term, lol) then I think that could work. It seems like it's Geno's main theme.
I could see this theme taking part in the reveal trailer, that is if he was revealed before the game was released.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Geno would probably be the character that would blow Smash wide open in terms of who can get in. Sure, you can have your meme characters like Goku which would be weird, but Geno would outright be a super wtf character due to his circumstances.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I hope I don't have to wait until I'm an old man to have to see Geno in Smash. lol

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Friendly reminder that this is the closest we have got to Mario RPG representation in a long time.

Sakurai, please, don't let us starve any longer.

EDIT: CRAP, I totally just double posted. Sorry guys.

So here's a topic for discussion.

When/if Geno makes it, what do you want his trailer to look like?

Because lemme tell ya, I know exactly how I want it to go.

It starts off with Mario getting knocked back and falling to his knees. Around him, Peach and Bowser are already slumped over in defeat on the ground below.

Mario begins to rise up shakily, only to be met with a large sword pointing down at him, making him stop.

We pan over to see the trio were fighting Cloud, Shulk and Ness, and seem to have lost. Cloud is standing over Mario with his sword pointed down at him, a Stern look on his face.

The two have a stare down for a few moments, before Mario reluctantly lowers his head. Cloud swings his sword onto his back, before turning around and walking away, Shulk and Ness following suit.

In that moment, a bright light shines down from the skies behind them, making them turn around to look at it.

The cloudy sky above them begins to part, with a brilliant Ray of light shining through it. The shadow of a small object slowly descends from above. Slowly, it floats down between Cloud and Mario, with Mario's face lighting up.

A small doll sits between them, its head hung low. A star slowly follows after it before the dark sky above reforms, floating over to a happier looking Mario. It floats over to Cloud and his crew, who looks at it with a mix of confusion and waryness. It then zips back to the doll and drops down into it, causing the doll to grow to full size as a familiar mushroom sound rings out.

The doll doesn't move, though. Slowly, Cloud begins to approach the doll, buster sword drawn, while Ness and Shulk look over from behind him. Cloud slowly reaches his hand towards the figure...

Colorful rays of light rain from the sky quicker than they can react. Cloud manages to dodge out of the way, but the blast was clearly aimed at his party, with Shulk and Ness getting blasted at full force, now incapacitated.

Cloud, now farther back from having to dodge, peers over at the doll as it suddenly starts to stand up. It reaches into it's hat, and pulls out a soda-looking bottle, a "Pick Me Up" if you will, before it pops away in a slew of green pixels that engulf Mario, who can now stand back up.

Mario does so, before smiling at the figure and tipping his cap. It nods back, before turning back to Cloud, now standing alone two to one.

The camera pans around to the front of the doll, its head up as he and Mario get into Battle Ready poses.

GENO
Grants a Wish From Above! (...Or something cheesy like that)

*Insert gameplay clips of Geno here, then the cut to the Ultimate logo*

For the last few seconds we see the three fighters duking it out. The camera pans away to the dark sky again, as lighting flashes. From the flash, the silloiette of a short, round figure can be seen for the briefest of moments...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So here's a topic for discussion.

When/if Geno makes it, what do you want his trailer to look like?
Kinda similar to yours, he would be joining up with the Mario, Bowser, and Peach. I think it would take place in the Forrest Maze and he would intervene with whatever foe in the same way he appeared to Bowyer. Either that, or fire a Geno Whirl at one of the enemies from the brush and absolutely obliterate them before jumping in. Also, I would love it if after the gameplay bit we got a brief moment where the whole crew can get into a group hug with Geno. That would make my heart explode.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If people really support characters just because they think they are likely? That's kind of sad.
This is one thing I always found weird.

I think it's people that just want to say "I was right".

---

Edit: I just realized. With Ridley in, if Geno and K Rool get in (Moreso Geno) - AND with this game being called "SSBB" in Japan, it's almost like this is the game that Brawl was meant to be.

I'll just have to see if THIS is the chance I have to get Geno in "SSBB". That'd be SWEET

---

Edit 2: I've been reading through other people's threads, including characters I don't like or care about. And a big theme I'm seeing is "Yes! With the way characters have been decided with Ridley, THIS is our time. We're getting our character in on pure popularity alone!".

I think it's a good idea to take in some perspective and not think of any character as a shoo-in. Even with Geno, I think he's got a 50/50 chance. A coin toss. I'm betting on that coin landing on heads, but Sakurai is the one tossing it.

LOL, I kind of still fear seeing the update of the day and one day seeing "Assist Trophy" or "Mii Costume" and a character with a wooden texture to him.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Edit 2: I've been reading through other people's threads, including characters I don't like or care about. And a big theme I'm seeing is "Yes! With the way characters have been decided with Ridley, THIS is our time. We're getting our character in on pure popularity alone!".

I think it's a good idea to take in some perspective and not think of any character as a shoo-in. Even with Geno, I think he's got a 50/50 chance. A coin toss. I'm betting on that coin landing on heads, but Sakurai is the one tossing it.
I have seen that trend as well. I don't think we have been to reliant on the idea of Geno's popularity alone(He is nowhere as popular as he used to be) and have cited other factors and the potential pitfalls he could run into. It is still true to always be open to the possibility of failure, no matter the evidence or hype that is backing you up.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I still think the biggest contributor is the fact that Sakurai's on board. I don't believe in anyone being a shoo-in because we really don't know what Sakurai is thinking. Plus there are so many other factors at play too (timing, we don't know how many characters will be added, etc.) But we do know that Geno was on his mind right around the time of the proposal for Smash Ultimate. Sakurai acknowledged his popularity, and that's more than a lot of other fans can say for their characters. Like I said, by no means is he a shoo-in, but I believe there is certainly credibility in Sakurai's words.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
All I know is that if after this game Sakurai says "I really wanted Geno in but it didn't work out" for a third time I'm gonna FREAK

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I still think the biggest contributor is the fact that Sakurai's on board. I don't believe in anyone being a shoo-in because we really don't know what Sakurai is thinking. Plus there are so many other factors at play too (timing, we don't know how many characters will be added, etc.) But we do know that Geno was on his mind right around the time of the proposal for Smash Ultimate. Sakurai acknowledged his popularity, and that's more than a lot of other fans can say for their characters. Like I said, by no means is he a shoo-in, but I believe there is certainly credibility in Sakurai's words.
Gotta love when the director's on your side!

All I know is that if after this game Sakurai says "I really wanted Geno in but it didn't work out" for a third time I'm gonna FREAK
Third time's a charm!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'm certain someone has made a stock icon already for Geno, but I am practicing Illustrator for my new job, so I wanted to send this your way. Plus I'm definitely a supporter of Geno in Smash. Feel free to use it.

Geno (Very Small).png

TBone06

Smash Ace
Gotta love when the director's on your side!
Realistically it's the strongest evidence. We've already mentioned multiple times that timing was against Geno at the inclusion of Cloud. We weren't getting many more characters and if Square was the issue of Geno's inclusion, then the timing absolutely lines up. Square wasn't working with Sakurai during Brawl, which likely was the reason he didn't make it in then. Then Cloud was included pretty late. With Square on board from the start, there is no reason not to include him if Sakurai was being honest, which I don't see why he wouldn't have been.

You're right, I would freak out too. But the way I'm looking at it is this is the first realistic chance Geno has due to the fact that timing and licensing don't seem to be an issue at this point. So I would freak out too, but I think this is actually our first real shot at him being included.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I'm certain someone has made a stock icon already for Geno, but I am practicing Illustrator for my new job, so I wanted to send this your way. Plus I'm definitely a supporter of Geno in Smash. Feel free to use it.

I like it's design, but I don't know how well it'd fit into the SSBU icon theme. Most of em don't have eyes.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Friendly reminder that this is the closest we have got to Mario RPG representation in a long time.

Sakurai, please, don't let us starve any longer.
I've never played Fortune Street but if I did and I heard that I would have absolutely lost my mind, haha.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Way better, though stock icons don't usually have eyes either.

But still, pretty good.
This was lanky_gamer's icon I just changed the colors for; I prefer the one I used in my icon (front-facing, no eyes). I think it fits SSBU a lot more.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if a difficulty in getting Geno in Smash Wii U/3DS was due to the fact that Wii U/3DS are technically two different games. I assume they treat them as such legally, and hence would require more work to acquire the rights to certain characters?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone hear about Ridley's sweet spot mechanic and think it sounded oddly like timed hits that could work with Geno?

First thing I thought of during that segment

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Did anyone hear about Ridley's sweet spot mechanic and think it sounded oddly like timed hits that could work with Geno?

No but now that you mention it, I see what you mean.
And thus, Ridley's sweet spot mechanic was a hint towards Geno.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
How's this look?
Aw man that looks amazing!

I did not hear. That sounds so good. What makes Smash Bros. so special is that Sakurai knows how to capture what that character brought to their respective game and then brings it into Smash. I hope Geno has timed hits.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, I might have heard the people wrong when researching it.

i guess never mind. Makes sense why no one else thought that, lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know I low key hope they keep all the same sound effects for his moves. The sound effects from SMRPG are so satisfying.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have and that is what caused me to say that. Having that extra bit of flare goes miles. I do feel like that is the kind of thing Sakurai would do, at least for the firing sound effects. That reminds me, do you think Geno is gonna be voiced in any way, or are they gonna go the Mega Man route and not have him say anything?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I have and that is what caused me to say that. Having that extra bit of flare goes miles. I do feel like that is the kind of thing Sakurai would do, at least for the firing sound effects. That reminds me, do you think Geno is gonna be voiced in any way, or are they gonna go the Mega Man route and not have him say anything?
I'm guessing that he'd have no voice, which is what I'd also prefer really.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Honestly, I'm more inclined to think he'll be voiced. Full lines? Probably not. But definitely some kind of vocalizations. Most likely distorted in some way, due to his wooden-ness. A straight up human voice would sound weird.

I could see silent as well, but I'm leaning toward voiced.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The way I see it, if they go through the effort of contracting a voice for Geno, that might put more stress on Nintendo and Square to use him more.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
The way I see it, if they go through the effort of contracting a voice for Geno, that might put more stress on Nintendo and Square to use him more.
I think his sound will be the "Once again" sound when you get a proper timed hit

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Ahh, good point. We want to make this as uncomplicated as possible. A voice may be a bit much. Unless they could use one of the actors already on the cast, and just have them do a few grunts and distort them. Or maybe Sakurai could just do it like with Dedede.:p

And while full lines are likely way too much...I would die if one of his victory quotes was "let's get this show on the road." :grin:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ahh, good point. We want to make this as uncomplicated as possible. A voice may be a bit much. Unless they could use one of the actors already on the cast, and just have them do a few grunts and distort them. Or maybe Sakurai could just do it like with Dedede.:p

And while full lines are likely way too much...I would die if one of his victory quotes was "let's get this show on the road." :grin:
Of course it would be just stuff like grunts and victory quotes. Personally, I would just love to hear the "I serve... a higher authority" line.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I think you've all seen this

I've been looking over it to see who could be competition for Geno

Wolf, Roy, Inkling, Ice Climbers, and Snake are all in.

Banjo Kazooie is not happening, no matter how awesome it'd be.

Krystal is deconfirmed,

It's either going to be Magolor or Bandana Dee IF a Kirby character gets in. I think Bandana Dee has more of a shot but quite frankly I'd really rather have Marx than either. Part of the reason is because Magolor has no feet, and the other part being Bandana Dee's popularity worldwide.

Maybe Paper Mario stands in his way?

I hope he does have a shot this time

Edit: Oh, and of course K Rool. Who I'm hoping makes it as well

---

The poll doesn't really have THAT many people represented in it. K Rool only has 115 people. I'm not sure how scientifically accurate it'd actually be.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think you've all seen this

I've been looking over it to see who could be competition for Geno

Wolf, Roy, Inkling, Ice Climbers, and Snake are all in.

Banjo Kazooie is not happening, no matter how awesome it'd be.

Krystal is deconfirmed,

It's either going to be Magolor or Bandana Dee IF a Kirby character gets in. I think Bandana Dee has more of a shot but quite frankly I'd really rather have Marx than either. Part of the reason is because Magolor has no feet, and the other part being Bandana Dee's popularity worldwide.

Maybe Paper Mario stands in his way?

I hope he does have a shot this time

Edit: Oh, and of course K Rool. Who I'm hoping makes it as well
I agree with you on a lot of points. Marx aint happening purely because of Bandanna Dee and timing. I also do not see Banjo happening. I feel like Paper Mario has little chance no matter how much it is brought up. I know we just got a third link, but that was purely to get the band back together. I don't see Sakurai putting in a third Mario, especially over a character he has wanted for over a decade. Besides that, this is just Japans view on things, and as we know from Ridley, Sakurai is listening to both sides of the sea.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with you on a lot of points. Marx aint happening purely because of Bandanna Dee and timing. I also do not see Banjo happening. I feel like Paper Mario has little chance no matter how much it is brought up. I know we just got a third link, but that was purely to get the band back together. I don't see Sakurai putting in a third Mario, especially over a character he has wanted for over a decade. Besides that, this is just Japans view on things, and as we know from Ridley, Sakurai is listening to both sides of the sea.
I was looking for data for the west, and all I found was a 4chan poll. Which I don't think is accurate to the west overall because it has Lanky Kong as one of the highest rated characters. And Kranky Kong and even Chibi Robo above geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was looking for data for the west, and all I found was a 4chan poll. Which I don't think is accurate to the west overall because it has Lanky Kong as one of the highest rated characters. And Kranky Kong and even Chibi Robo above geno
That seems... suspicious. I mean, Chibi Robo certainly has its own fans, and I imagine Kranky has some(Not as much as Dixie and especially K. Rool), but LANKY? That is a touch random.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That seems... suspicious. I mean, Chibi Robo certainly has its own fans, and I imagine Kranky has some(Not as much as Dixie and especially K. Rool), but LANKY? That is a touch random.

Well, here it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom