• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Question: since I wasn't able to watch the full video or watch any of it with sound. Did they confirm the next "pass" will be set up the same as first pass like one fighter, one stage, Mii costumes, and music tracks? Also do we have any indication of the possibility of bonus fighters outside of the 6 in this next pass?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question: since I wasn't able to watch the full video or watch any of it with sound. Did they confirm the next "pass" will be set up the same as first pass like one fighter, one stage, Mii costumes, and music tracks? Also do we have any indication of the possibility of bonus fighters outside of the 6 in this next pass?
They didn't give any indication of either. Since it's a second Fighters Pass as opposed to individual DLC, we can assume that the first one is likely, though we don't know for sure.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Yes.

It's an interesting claim and fits our timeline theory. I don't think anyone disagrees that Byleth is a very unusual character to end the pass on and it's super out of character with how the rest of the pass was. Maybe Byleth was a swap but we'll have to see if in the coming months if more evidence comes out for it. Because why not, Dragonborn could potentially fit this too.
I think it makes a decent amount of sense, considering they're most likely working on multiple characters at the same time. Switching one fighter out for another would be trivial.

They didn't give any indication of either. Since it's a second Fighters Pass as opposed to individual DLC, we can assume that the first one is likely, though we don't know for sure.
I think it's fair to assume they'd all be the same deal as the first Fighter Pass. I mean, why would they be any different?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not an indie, but Steve could work pretty well as a costume for swordfighter.
Not as well as a full character. Some people complain about his animations even though they look perfectly fine/good in trailers and really the game itself? Just wait until they see the Mii costume if it’s full-body. They can easily make Steve have personality in his face and look good just like the official Minecraft trailers they’ve been doing.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
It seems everyone forgets the time Verg was backing Hitagi's claims back in November 2018. For those who don't know, Hitagi was a "leaker" who got a bunch right about the base game of Smash but then began making outlandish claims like Katalina from Granblue being in, Steve getting in without Banjo really being considered, no Atlus reps. Obviously, this was pretty much all proven to be BS but people forgot just how much Verg would tend to point to him being accurate.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Ok, we simply got a direct with no spoiler, after months of mystery, were any fighter could have been revealed... Then Sakurai showed up, revealed exactly the smash fandom worst nightmare, and just started teaching us how to counting in binary as if we were at a bar drinking a beer... How not to like him?

Telling the truth, watch Sakurai discussing Fire Emblem Three Houses made me want to play it.

And then I just realized something Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said sometime ago about how good it is to see Sakurai talking and anjoy the moment appreciating the creator and his work. And I think that as I watch more and more presentations, the more I enjoy them, regardless of who the fighter is.

I just ended the direct feeling grateful today and hyped for FP2.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I just want closure with Geno's fate. If he really is just a costume still, then please, just release him already. At least give us time to play as him that way then, instead of holding him off for so long.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Dudes
January 28th
What if that's when we get a direct and get a sneak peak for character 6?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
100% right in what sense? They never said what it was, just what it wasn't. That's not the same. Like I pointed out earlier, Verge said it wasn't 34 characters and about half a dozen companies. That's still a giant pool to draw from. That's like saying an animal behind a curtain isn't a mammal and then declaring victory when it turns out to be a parrot. Do you know what I mean?
Every single “character of the week” that happened (Ryu, Crash, Doom Slayer, Lloyd, ect), they shot down. That obviously wasn’t a safe bet to do if you were in this community for even 5 minutes during this time. Vergeben also provided proof over on Gamefaqs he was tipped off about Byleth right before the reveal.

And Sabi outright said the character was on Vergebens first kill list (Which included Nintendo). I’m sorry, but at this point, if you are still trying to doubt them, idk what to tell you.

I also find it funny that you are trying your absolute best to discredit them technically being right, when you were pushing a triple reveal happening based on what your “sources” told you.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I just want closure with Geno's fate. If he really is just a costume still, then please, just release him already. At least give us time to play as him that way then, instead of holding him off for so long.
Yeah, that's how I've felt for a while now. If Geno really is still a costume then they dropped the ball in tearing off the band-aid so slowly and not revealing him when you had 3-4 perfect chances to do so.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Byleth, as an inclusion, is an incredibly poor pick in my opinion. 8 Fire Emblem characters is already too many, but this one also has blue hair and is primarily seen with a sword? Gimme a break. Xenoblade fans on suicide watch knowing that the excuse Rex was given is actually a complete lie, and that the preferred alternative to a second XBC rep was an eighth Fire Emblem rep. A first party being **** out at the end after pretty much all other comments is unsatisfying as ****. Season 2 will hopefully not have a "Corrin Pick" like Byleth.

As a fighter, Byleth looks kinda basic but enjoyable, nothing mad but not disappointing from a gameplay standpoint. Cuphead's shadow loomed large over Byleth and I think that's absolutely hilarious.

TL;DR? Byleth makes me Cryleth but will probably play OK. Geno's chances are still rock solid, and hopefully Doom Slayer can slip in too!

(BTW, suck it, Kirbopher. You get what you deserve, you sack of ****.)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm going to be honest and say that I feel Geno's chances are now 50/50 with this Direct. We now have another premium costume with a song, and it looks fantastic. It also states that Cuphead got an invitation properly, meaning Sans did, as well. It looks like the extra special consolation prizes are being heralded much like actual fighters in a lot of ways from the team, which both makes me happy and worried for Geno. If he gets his costume back with an upgrade, he'll essentially, canonically 'be a fighter'. If he gets his costume without this upgrade, he's SOL. If he becomes a fighter, well... y'know.

Six more characters. Don't give up hope.

And now, let's touch stone on the hilariously bad topic of fan rules, because I cannot believe people are still trying to forge them because they so DESPERATELY don't want to see different characters make it in. Byleth just annihilated multiple fan rules in one go:

1) Smash DLC being all from new worlds. Fire Emblem sure ain't that.
2) Smash DLC being all from new franchises. I guess Marth and Roy never debuted in Melee, eh? All the FE content we have has been a figment of our imagination all along.
3) No first parties.

That's three, three fan rules destroyed this morning. They weren't even fan rules with no basis either. They had reasons for people believing in them beyond pessimism and hunches. This also applies to spirits, something that we have a basis on for disconfirmations, but something that could easily be squashed like the prior three fan rules that people keep spewing.

How's about we just enjoy the ride, not call anything into certainty, and chill out? Oh wait, that's impossible. The Smash fandom is incapable of behaving with any level of maturity. My mistake! That said, it's very, very nice to see the people who specifically harass, dox, and send death threats whining about Byleth. Don't get me wrong, people have plenty of right to be disappointed in their inclusion, but particularly the ones who are so keen on gatekeeping fans of certain characters like our beloved star boy and his fans just because ~*~I don't like him, this one fan annoyed me, boo hoo~*~ got what they deserve if they're bemoaning Byleth. The salt I've been seeing from the worst sides of the fan base in particular have been incredible, and drinking their tears all morning has been so satisfying. ♡

Anyway, back into my cave I go, but I mostly just want to say: good luck, fellow Genopals. I doubt Geno's costume will be straight ported from 4. It'll either be upgraded or he will be a fighter. I'm very certain of at least one of these outcomes, and I'd be happy with both. Either way, I'm extremely certain in Geno getting his invitation, separate fighter or no, and that makes me happy. No way to BTFO this particularly pleased and optimistic Geno fan now, so to those who attacked me personally as a human being for daring to, gasp, like a character you don't:

I'm very happy that I now get to have the last laugh. Enjoy Byleth. ;)

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but...

The UK version of the presentation has more dislikes then likes at the moment.

I personally don't like Byleth that much myself, but I don't think he deserves this at all...

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Every single “character of the week” that happened (Ryu, Crash, Doom Slayer, Lloyd, ect), they shot down. That obviously wasn’t a safe bet to do if you were in this community for even 5 minutes during this time. Vergeben also provided proof over on Gamefaqs he was tipped off about Byleth right before the reveal.

And Sabi outright said the character was on Vergebens first kill list (Which included Nintendo). I’m sorry, but at this point, if you are still trying to doubt them, idk what to tell you.

I also find it funny that you are trying your absolute best to discredit them technically being right, when you were pushing a triple reveal happening based on what your “sources” told you.
You mean the triple reveal that he directly stated was his own speculation?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Going into a second Fighter Pass with an extra slot and no costume in sight is a pretty good spot. I wish you guys luck in the next DLC wave! Not a huge Geno fan myself but I'd kill for some SMRPG music.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I’m just fantasizing here, but seeing as how there will be 6 characters for this fighters pass, maybe from here on out we will be getting double reveals. I can dream, can I? Lol

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be fair, why would we be salty from theories? Also on Byleth, we as consumers have the right to be disappointed on a product. You know what else was a successful game? Xenoblade 2. Sakurai made a Mii costume because it was too late, but yet Nintendo and Sakurai would rather prioritize Three Houses. Breath of the Wild was successful, so why not the Champions? In my opinion, it is more necessary to add a Zelda rep. Fire Emblem is not a flagship franchise, compared to Zelda so why not a rep?
There is a difference between disappointed and disrespectful, and I say many F-you among worse thing on twitter towards Sakurai right now like K-Y-S type of stuff towards him

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

You realize that "Nintendo" is incredibly vague especially when you throw in second parties, right? Nintendo in what sense? Mario is Nintendo but so is Shulk. Most of the characters in Smash are "Nintendo."

Another thing is that my contacts didn't push a triple reveal. That was my own bat**** crazy theory based on a number of things. Here is this post yet again because people are misquoting things:

Already did this on two Discord channels on Christmas and I'm now making this public here because one of these Smash rumors was a "Christmas gift" after wishing them a Merry Christmas.

I decided to compile all the Smash rumors from my four contacts since early November as easy reference:

-All my contacts believe that 5 and 6 will be shown in the same presentation or at least very close together.

-Most of my contacts believe Cacomallow is real. One doesn't.

-Most of my contacts believe 5 will be one of the only Western characters added. Most agree on the identity but, again, one guy doesn't. They still all agree it's a Western character though..

-Lots of disagreements about 6. Some say it's a bonus character (like Plant), one says it's a full pack, complete with a stage, music, and 6 Mii costumes. On that topic...

-One of the two Christmas rumors: For the Pack 6 rumors, character will be totally unrelated to all its content. The pack will include 4 Mii costumes from the same series and 2 indies with music from two totally different games. Supposedly it will come with a spirit board too, again, totally unrelated to the character.

-One absolutely crazy rumor from November that 5, 6, and 7 will all be revealed together. None of my contacts believe it but half have heard it.

-Based on rumors, the purpose of "Season 2" seems to be to knock out long time fan requests more than anything else. THIS IS MY OWN SPECULATION. Most of the "strongest" names in insider circles have been characters requested since Brawl or even Melee.

-According to rumors, Indies and echoes are all but confirmed toast. One of the few things all my contacts agree on. THIS IS OUR SPECULATION. Sakurai already deconfirmed echoes himself but the evidence is super stacked now that he was 100% serious. Best treatment for Indies seems to be the "Sans treatment." It's gotten to the point that Travis and Steve are the only two indies that my contacts believe have a real chance of becoming playable eventually but I honestly doubt both (especially Steve given he was already leakbait for Banjo).

-The other Christmas rumor I got from a different contact then the previous one: SNES game dump to be announced "soon" but no specific games mentioned. They had very strong guesses for three of them based on things "they knew."

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Some more notes I thought of

1. hey we finally got a female dlc character

2. Color theory is now officially deader than disco as we have a second green background character

D

Deleted member

There is a difference between disappointed and disrespectful, and I say many F-you among worse thing on twitter towards Sakurai right now like K-Y-S type of stuff towards him
While I agree we shouldn’t be toxic but we can be salty. Haven’t seen a single KYS to Sakurai, mind providing me a screenshot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I’m just fantasizing here, but seeing as how there will be 6 characters for this fighters pass, maybe from here on out we will be getting double reveals. I can dream, can I? Lol
having doubled the deadline from 14 months to 24 I would be ecstatic if they would even keep parity with what they've done already ngl. Hopes are not high

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I think Byleths move set looks great, I wish people wouldn't jump on the hate train so hard just because it's a FE rep. Three Houses did amazing for Nintendo and it's not surprising the want to put it in Smash.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
While I agree we shouldn’t be toxic but we can be salty. Haven’t seen a single KYS to Sakurai, mind providing me a screenshot?
I blocked them, but I can see if I can re-find them.
I¨m not arguing about can¨t be salty, I¨m just annoyed that people act like its okay to call him an incompetent videogame developer etc.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Some more notes I thought of

1. hey we finally got a female dlc character

2. Color theory is now officially deader than disco as we have a second green background character
Watch, if Byleth and Ryu were actually swapped, Ryu have an orange background

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I'm going to be honest and say that I feel Geno's chances are now 50/50 with this Direct. We now have another premium costume with a song, and it looks fantastic. It also states that Cuphead got an invitation properly, meaning Sans did, as well. It looks like the extra special consolation prizes are being heralded much like actual fighters in a lot of ways from the team, which both makes me happy and worried for Geno. If he gets his costume back with an upgrade, he'll essentially, canonically 'be a fighter'. If he gets his costume without this upgrade, he's SOL. If he becomes a fighter, well... y'know.
I wouldn't bellyache about the Cuphead costume. If anything it helps us, it shows these enhanced Mii costumes are probably going to be indie characters (seeing as how both Sans and Cuphead are indies) and they also only came with one music track (two tracks got taken down back in July, so it's inconsistent with these Mii costumes). We'll have to wait and see, but I think Cuphead is actually a good sign.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I personally don't like Byleth that much myself, but I don't think he deserves this at all...
Honestly, I think it does. Byleth is quite literally the worst possible character I can think of to reveal right now.
1.After 4 Great Third Party chatacters, you decide to randomly make Fighter 5 the most obvious first party character and had plans to include them like 8 months before their game even came out.
2.Said character is from a franchise most people already think is overrepresented in Smash, and who already had a ton of backlash when the exact same DLC situation happened last game.
3. Making them number 5 implies that this was the LAST planned character for the ULTIMATE Smash game. They originally planned to end it on ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM SHILL CHARACTER.
4.The fact that they planned Byleth before they're game even came out is even more of a slap in the face to people who wanted Rex, who straight up was not included because his game was too new, and is from a franchise most people agree could use another character. I dont even like Xenoblade and I agree.

T2by4

Smash Lord

Same with the spanish one. Anyone have the japanese one? Hows that looking?

Firox

Smash Master
1) Smash DLC being all from new worlds. Fire Emblem sure ain't that.
2) Smash DLC being all from new franchises. I guess Marth and Roy never debuted in Melee, eh? All the FE content we have has been a figment of our imagination all along.
3) No first parties.
Firstly, let me say it's great to hear from you again Ovaltine. It's been too long.

Secondly, you're spot on with these points. These revelations have shattered the few fan rules we have left. Getting a spirit upgrade is the last thing we need to make the detractors shut the hell up. One thing about this presentation that does concern me though is the fact that Sakurai has now proven himself a pretty solid liar, or at least a hard flip-flopper. He said that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't have a chance because of how new it was, then goes and slaps us with Byleth. I know he's backpedaled on other things before (Ridley) but this is pretty harsh. He's basically confirmed that we won't be getting any reps from Xenoblade simply because of how weak of an excuse he chose to offer. Some may not consider it that big of a deal, but it definitely hurt my trust in his word.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
While advising people to play nice and be happy for Byleth fans is good, I do think it's a bit silly to be surprised or not understand how people aren't terribly happy that a franchise, which already had this representation issue/complaint by fans last game, got an eighth rep, and in almost the same exact derisive set-up as last game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think it does. Byleth is quite literally the worst possible character I can think of to reveal right now.
1.After 4 Great Third Party chatacters, you decide to randomly make Fighter 5 the most obvious first party character and had plans to include them like 8 months before their game even came out.
2.Said character is from a franchise most people already think is overrepresented in Smash, and who already had a ton of backlash when the exact same DLC situation happened last game.
3. Making them number 5 implies that this was the LAST planned character for the ULTIMATE Smash game. They originally planned to end it on ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM SHILL CHARACTER.
4.The fact that they planned Byleth before they're game even came out is even more of a slap in the face to people who wanted Rex, who straight up was not included because his game was too new, and is from a franchise most people agree could use another character. I dont even like Xenoblade and I agree.
I think its pretty obvious this wasn't the planned FP5. they had Byleth planned but pushed them a bit to capitalize on the new DLC and the huge success the game has atm. I thin k the amnount of hate is unwarrented though, and Sakurai is not to blaim. Byleth looks great though and he put his all into it too

D

Deleted member

100% this. I think Sakurai has a lot of explaining to do when he didn’t choose characters because they’re too new and yet they added a character from a 2018 game. I don’t hate Fire Emblem, but I think they’re too many characters when Zelda should have more reps. Byleth seems more unique than Roy to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You realize that "Nintendo" is incredibly vague especially when you throw in second parties, right? Nintendo in what sense? Mario is Nintendo but so is Shulk. Most of the characters in Smash are "Nintendo."

Another thing is that my contacts didn't push a triple reveal. That was my own bat**** crazy theory based on a number of things. Here is this post yet again because people are misquoting things:
Ironic, since you are misquoting what Vergeben said.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78218788?jumpto=51#51

This is what Sabi was talking about. It is clear as day Verge was talking about first parties.

And also, you clearly stated the triple reveal “theory” came from your contacts.

For two days I've been sitting on a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5 and I kept thinking to myself "that's kind of weird" and then something clicked. No, it's not! It's simply a repeat of the Fighter's Pass if you include Plant! Here's where things get nutty based on my own cross-checking with other contacts...

5 finishes the Fighter's Pass.

6 doesn't kick off Season 2... It's a bonus but, instead of just a bonus character, it's a bonus pack! Yes, you still pay for it but it's a full pack of content!

7 kicks off Season 2!

It makes so much sense! This is another reason why I'm entertaining the triple reveal idea. This is why 6 is so weird! It's because it's an in-between that doesn't truly belong to Season 1 or 2 just like how Plant didn't truly belong to the Fighter's Pass! Eureka! THIS is why Cacodemon and Mallow would have been shown together! It wasn't showcasing pack 5 and 6... It was showcasing pack 5 and 7, the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2! We may be unto something lads!
Note the word “rumor”. Not “theory”, not “speculation”, you outright said it was a rumor from your contacts.

And sure enough, people here took it and ran with it.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
What if Byleth was moved into FP1
Because if they were a starter for FP2
The sales would be lower

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If pass 2 was somthing like wah, geno, lloyd, crash, doomguy/ dragonborn and ryu, that would be pretty ****ing good.

I'm not even ruling out more fighters at this point. I feel like they'll probably at least try and get sora in before the whole thing ends.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
the best part of there being 6 slots for SSBU Fighter Pass Wave 2 of DLC;

Geno now HAS A 1/6 Chance of being one of the Newcomers in development!!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
In light of this recent presentation, more specifically the reveal of Cuphead getting a Mii Fighter Costume, I started to wonder: Why isn't there also a Mugman costume to go along with it? And then it hit me:
CupheadInSmash.png

Ironic, since you are misquoting what Vergeben said.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78218788?jumpto=51#51

This is what Sabi was talking about. It is clear as day Verge was talking about first parties.

And also, you clearly stated the triple reveal “theory” came from your contacts.

Note the word “rumor”. Not “theory”, not “speculation”, you outright said it was a rumor from your contacts.

And sure enough, people here took it and ran with it.
For two days I've been sitting on a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5 and I kept thinking to myself "that's kind of weird" and then something clicked. No, it's not! It's simply a repeat of the Fighter's Pass if you include Plant! Here's where things get nutty based on my own cross-checking with other contacts...

5 finishes the Fighter's Pass.

6 doesn't kick off Season 2... It's a bonus but, instead of just a bonus character, it's a bonus pack! Yes, you still pay for it but it's a full pack of content!

7 kicks off Season 2!

It makes so much sense! This is another reason why I'm entertaining the triple reveal idea. This is why 6 is so weird! It's because it's an in-between that doesn't truly belong to Season 1 or 2 just like how Plant didn't truly belong to the Fighter's Pass! Eureka! THIS is why Cacodemon and Mallow would have been shown together! It wasn't showcasing pack 5 and 6... It was showcasing pack 5 and 7, the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2! We may be unto something lads!
For two days I've been sitting on a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5 and I kept thinking to myself "that's kind of weird" and then something clicked.
a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5
Can you read?

Firox

Smash Master
100% agree with all of your points. Could you imagine if the entire DLC cycle were to end with Byleth??! Holy feck, I'd be pissed out of my ever-loving mind. That would have meant that Geno, Isaac, Dragonborn, Doomslayer, Crash, Shantae, KOS-MOS, Dante, Monster Hunter, Sora, Sephiroth etc, etc, etc, ALL GOT THE SHAFT so that Nintendo could grind on their favorite franchise yet again! It's even worse when you consider the 4 DLC that came before. Each was legendary in their own right. Each brought a new world and a new mechanic. And then you've got Byleth. Interesting fighter to be sure, there's no denying that, but so painfully mundane that he/she sticks out like a sore thumb. At least Byleth stands as proof that Nintendo definitely had SOME say over this pass. I still think that Joker and Terry (and possibly Banjo) were Sakurai specials, but damn if FE wasn't a Nintendo shill at its absolute finest.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since Byleth was announced that means Sabi and Verge were wrong about there being no Three Houses rep. Their credibility is pretty much dead now because of that. Now that we got FP5 out of the way, my boi Nightmare is back in the race as well as my gal KOS-MOS.

Let's go Nightmare, let's go!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom