• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hey guys just checking in. I hope everyone is well. I'm not sure how I feel about Geno's chances anymore tbh but I still like to talk to y'all and see if there's any fun stuff to participate in (and see all the amazing memes). I was really hoping they would just tell us who was in the second fighters pass if they were going to do another pass and now that they haven't plus the news drought (Byleth seems cool but did not feel like news) is really killing my interest in this game. I'm still hopeful that our wishes will be granted, but I'm not expecting anything.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Just downloaded Byleth and enjoying his/her play style, I also purchased & locked myself down for Fighter's pass Vol.2 I'll welcome any new character or content for this pass. All aboard Sakurai's 2nd Wild ride!!!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just tried out Byleth in Classic Mode. He's not bad, actually. I might have to get used to him, but he is fun. I will try him out more later.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t see it where is it? Also, I think we shouldn’t trust MandyCan for now.
I am only taking their word for Crash.

Even if they are right on Crash, I do have my suspicions on whoever they predict next for the fighter pack, though they did get Byleth right.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I am only taking their word for Crash.

Even if they are right on Crash, I do have my suspicions on whoever they predict next for the fighter pack, though they did get Byleth right.
He did get some things right, but as PapaGeno's brought up in a recent video, he could have made a lot of contradicting tweets like one saying there would be a reveal at TGA's and one saying there wouldn't be, and then just deleted the tweets that were wrong. Of course, this was only possible back when he wasn't very well known. He has too many eyes on him now for that to work, so we'l just have to see if Crash really does get in next and if he predicts anything further.

D

Deleted member

He did get some things right, but as PapaGeno's brought up in a recent video, he could have made a lot of contradicting tweets like one saying there would be a reveal at TGA's and one saying there wouldn't be, and then just deleted the tweets that were wrong. Of course, this was only possible back when he wasn't very well known. He has too many eyes on him now for that to work, so we'l just have to see if Crash really does get in next and if he predicts anything further.
Did he say Geno is not likely happening at Discord? It doesn’t seem that he said anything regarding Geno on Twitter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, yeah yeah, we don't know for sure. Still, I wonder if Mandy is the kind of guy to do that and delete previous tweets on things he got wrong?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Did he say Geno is not likely happening at Discord? It doesn’t seem that he said anything regarding Geno on Twitter.
No, all he said in reply to Walmart's tweet is: i agree with your Fighter Pack 6 choice

They had Crash as 6 and Geno as 7. He said nothing about any of the other characters besides Crash.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1222337638482489344

Cool that Walmart Canada has Geno on there but MandyCan doesn't seem to think Geno is coming.
??? All Mandy is saying is the same thing over and over: Crash is DLC 6 (and I honestly don't believe them). I don't see where they are saying "Geno isn't in"or
any of those other characters, just that "Crash is DLC 6" is all they've said.

Honestly, I will be surprised (and disappointed) if Crash is our first for FP2. That's a relatively awkward, lukewarm pick IMO. Less awkward than Byleth for sure, but for the FIRST pick, you should go with more of a wow factor like Joker was, as that set the bar for ridiculous characters (following up, Hero, Banjo, and Terry, all of which I'd say are up there with the level that Joker set).

No, all he said in reply to Walmart's tweet is: i agree with your Fighter Pack 6 choice

They had Crash as 6 and Geno as 7. He said nothing about any of the other characters besides Crash.
So like I said, you're reading between the lines and hearing things you (I assume don't) want to hear?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
??? All Mandy is saying is the same thing over and over: Crash is DLC 6 (and I honestly don't believe them). I don't see where they are saying "Geno isn't in"or

Honestly, I will be surprised (and disappointed) if Crash is our first for FP2. That's a relatively awkward, lukewarm pick IMO. Less awkward than Byleth for sure, but for the FIRST pick, you should go with more of a wow factor like Joker was, as that set the bar for ridiculous characters (following up, Hero, Banjo, and Terry, all of which I'd say are up there with the level that Joker set).
Hey, go easy on Crash. I mean, it's okay if he isn't your favorite, but I think he would be a WOW character to start off Fighters Pass 2, and others beside myself want him in.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Gotta say, I'm really enjoying Byleth more than I thought!

But may I ask a question? I hope this isn't taken in a bad way, but...what's the appeal of Geno? I don't want this to be taken in a bad way, just an innocent question. (and I'd be totally for him in smash if he's fun to play as)

I apologise if this comes across rude

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

So like I said, you're reading between the lines and hearing things you (I assume don't) want to hear?
As I said, he didn't mention any other character. But one can infer by him only saying "I agree with your fighter pack 6 choice" that he means he doesn't agree with the other choices. Also, Crash would be a hell of a more hype pick than Joker was. Crash was Sony's mascot there for awhile and would be a very surprising and great choice to kick things off in this second pass.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Hey, go easy on Crash. I mean, it's okay if he isn't your favorite, but I think he would be a WOW character to start off Fighters Pass 2, and others beside myself want him in.
I'm not saying he's a bad pick, I'm saying he is a bad FIRST pick. He'd be like Terry, maybe a level or two above him, but as the first pick. It would be awkward.

Also as someone who hasn't played his games, what would his kit be? From people who have played the games, I keep hearing all he has is "spin". ... Well I guess Vinny Vinesauce would love to play him.

As I said, he didn't mention any other character. But one can infer by him only saying "I agree with your fighter pack 6 choice" that he means he doesn't agree with the other choices.
No, that would be you reading between the lines.

Also, Crash would be a hell of a more hype pick than Joker was. Crash was Sony's mascot there for awhile and would be a very surprising and great choice to kick things off in this second pass.
Ehhhhh... His reception will not be like what Banjo's was, and I really don't think he would set the same level that Joker did.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not saying he's a bad pick, I'm saying he is a bad FIRST pick. He'd be like Terry, maybe a level or two above him, but as the first pick. It would be awkward.

Also as someone who hasn't played his games, what would his kit be? From people who have played the games, I keep hearing all he has is "spin". ... Well I guess Vinny Vinesauce would love to play him.
Bad and awkward first pick my behind. Maybe I sound fanboyish here, and I do apologize for that, but I don't think there are that many who would agree with you on that. Even if I were wrong, there would still be people who would like seeing Crash as the first fighter in Fighter Pass 2.

And he doesn't just spin. He uses a Wumpa Fruit Bazooka, would use crates, among other things.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

He has a slide kick, belly flop, a jetpack, a fruit rocket launcher, could use various crates like TNT or nitro, and items from the racing games.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Ehhhhh... His reception will not be like what Banjo's was, and I really don't think he would set the same level that Joker did.
I just want to interject real quick just to say you greatly underestimate how popular Crash is.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Bad and awkward first pick my behind. Maybe I sound fanboyish here, and I do apologize for that, but I don't think there are that many who would agree with you on that. Even if I were wrong, there would still be people who would like seeing Crash as the first fighter in Fighter Pass 2.
That's totally fine if you disagree. I know he has his fans. I mean hell Byleth got a very polarizing reception, both negative and positive. I know Crash would have plenty of people happy, including yourself, and again, not saying he's bad, he's just not a great first pick compared to Joker, which blew open so many doors for characters. Crash doesn't really set any precedent that both Joker and Banjo/other older/"irrelevant" characters (like KKR) didn't already do.

Whereas say you put someone like Doomguy or Master Chief in the first pick. While I don't necessarily want either, those would be more crazy first picks. Hell I think even Steve might be a better first pick (another character I don't necessarily want).

And he doesn't just spin. He uses a Wumpa Fruit Bazooka, would use crates, among other things.
He has a slide kick, belly flop, a jetpack, a fruit rocket launcher, could use various crates like TNT or nitro, and items from the racing games.
Alright cool good to know. Like I said, I haven't played any of his games, just heard from some friends who are probably not as well-versed as they made themselves out to be.

I just want to interject real quick just to say you greatly underestimate how popular Crash is.
That's totally possible as well. I know he's popular, but I always felt like he was around Geno's level of popularity, give or take.

PS: Popular doesn't automatically make good first picks. I don't even think Geno would be a good first pick for FP2 and he's my #1 pick.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

You've already said you never played his games so you obviously don't know how popular he is or how big of a deal he would be.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You've already said you never played his games so you obviously don't know how popular he is or how big of a deal he would be.
I never said he wouldn't be a big deal, I said he'd be a bad/awkward first pick. Joker set a crazy level for FP1. He was out of nowhere, totally unexpected, and really shook up Smash speculation. Crash, while yes, he would get a positive reception, won't have that same expectation-shaking wow factor that Joker had. That's all I was saying.

Whether he's in or not, great! Glad for the many people who want him.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I never said he wouldn't be a big deal, I said he'd be a bad/awkward first pick. Joker set a crazy level for FP1. He was out of nowhere, totally unexpected, and really shook up Smash speculation. Crash, while yes, he would get a positive reception, won't have that same expectation-shaking wow factor that Joker had. That's all I was saying.

Whether he's in or not, great! Glad for the many people who want him.
Fair enough, but I think just the thought of having Mario, Sonic, and Crash facing off in the same game would blow a lot of people's minds.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
That's totally fine if you disagree. I know he has his fans. I mean hell Byleth got a very polarizing reception, both negative and positive. I know Crash would have plenty of people happy, including yourself, and again, not saying he's bad, he's just not a great first pick compared to Joker, which blew open so many doors for characters. Crash doesn't really set any precedent that both Joker and Banjo/other older/"irrelevant" characters (like KKR) didn't already do.

Whereas say you put someone like Doomguy or Master Chief in the first pick. While I don't necessarily want either, those would be more crazy first picks. Hell I think even Steve might be a better first pick (another character I don't necessarily want).

Alright cool good to know. Like I said, I haven't played any of his games, just heard from some friends who are probably not as well-versed as they made themselves out to be.

That's totally possible as well. I know he's popular, but I always felt like he was around Geno's level of popularity, give or take.

PS: Popular doesn't automatically make good first picks. I don't even think Geno would be a good first pick for FP2 and he's my #1 pick.
Not to keep throwing things off topic but, Crash is stupid popular, like, N-Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled both were at the top of the charts for months. Europe especially loves the orange marsupial, he sells like mad over there, it's wild. He'd certainly be a fine starter to Pass 2 for a whole lot of people and the entirety of Europe.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Fair enough, but I think just the thought of having Mario, Sonic, and Crash facing off in the same game would blow a lot of people's minds.
Agreed, Those were three of gaming's biggest video game icons in the 90s. Who wouldn't want to see the three of them duke it out on the field of battle?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Well, anyway my main point of showing that tweet was about Geno. It's very cool that company twitters like Walmart and Bestbuy(and I think Arbies?) have mentioned Geno, as well as a lot of Youtubers. But Gamefaqs would have you believe that Geno is a literal "who?" and that nobody wants him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not to keep throwing things off topic but, Crash is stupid popular, like, N-Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled both were at the top of the charts for months. Europe especially loves the orange marsupial, he sells like mad over there, it's wild. He'd certainly be a fine starter to Pass 2 for a whole lot of people and the entirety of Europe.
Not to mention, Crash seems more popular than Sonic in Japan. Crash is western, while Sonic is Japanese, and yet Sonic doesn't seem that popular in his home country.

Well, anyway my main point of showing that tweet was about Geno. It's very cool that company twitters like Walmart and Bestbuy(and I think Arbies?) have mentioned Geno, as well as a lot of Youtubers. But Gamefaqs would have you believe that Geno is a literal "who?" and that nobody wants him.
That makes me excited! Not for Crash, but for Geno. Hopefully, our Star Boy does get in, despite what GameFAQs has to say about him.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I've never even played Crash Bandicoot and I can understand the appeal of him being DLC. However, that Walmart prediction is pretty absurd--Ring Fit guy? Sure, I suppose. Definitely not a character for DLC though. Toxitricity? Not even a little bit. I suppose it's a cool Pokémon, but it'd be way too late for it to be the final DLC character unless GameFreak decides to hold onto his Gigantamax form for that long. But even then, that's silly.

The new legendary bear would be better suited, even.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Gotta say, I'm really enjoying Byleth more than I thought!

But may I ask a question? I hope this isn't taken in a bad way, but...what's the appeal of Geno? I don't want this to be taken in a bad way, just an innocent question. (and I'd be totally for him in smash if he's fun to play as)

I apologise if this comes across rude
If I could summarize it I would say Geno is like a sentient swiss-army knife armed with guns and lasers as opposed to actual sharp objects. He's got a finger shot, machine gun, elbow cannon balls, a rocket fist, a laser beam, a hard-hitting disc attack, can transform into a large cannon and shoot a large blast and he can summon lasers down from heaven. All of that packed into the quirkiness of a Mario universe character making his appearance in likely the first in-depth experience of an RPG Mario game.

Lots of potential for fun and crazy moves, it makes me curious how Sakurai would actually handle it.

[EDIT] Of course that's only covering moveset potential - if you want something more in-depth I highly recommend checking out PapaGenos' video covering this question:

Last edited:

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
If I could summarize it I would say Geno is like a sentient swiss-army knife armed with guns and lasers as opposed to actual sharp objects. He's got a finger shot, machine gun, elbow cannon balls, a rocket fist, a laser beam, a hard-hitting disc attack, can transform into a large cannon and shoot a large blast and he can summon lasers down from heaven. All of that packed into the quirkiness of a Mario universe character making his appearance in likely the first in-depth experience of an RPG Mario game.

Lots of potential for fun and crazy moves, it makes me curious how Sakurai would actually handle it.
Ah ok! Thanks for the response! I was sorta afraid it would be taken wrong after everything that's been going on here

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Of course it would, which is why he (and/or Geno) would be a better pick for DLC 7: the E3 2020 pick.

Legit didn't know; good to know. Still though, yet another reason he'd be better for the E3/DLC 7 pick.

Yeah but it wasn't. Mandy said literally nothing and you're reading the fact that he wasn't mentioned as Mandy saying he's not in. That's like, absolute tinfoil hat theory. Mandy might also just literally know nothing outside of DLC 6 (who even knows if they do know DLC 6).

However, that Walmart prediction is pretty absurd--Ring Fit guy?
Probably built around WFT but different, kinda like Isabelle is built around Villager, but is different.

Toxitricity? Not even a little bit. I suppose it's a cool Pokémon, but it'd be way too late for it to be the final DLC character unless GameFreak decides to hold onto his Gigantamax form for that long. But even then, that's silly.
He's gained a ton of popularity, plus I think his kit would be very unique. Great design, different kind of attitude not yet in Smash; they'd fit in pretty well. That said I don't disagree in him being a bad last pick (similar to Byleth) though.

The new legendary bear would be better suited, even.
As our FINAL DLC? Do you really want two disappointing finales for our FPs? I will audibly groan if Urshifu was our finale, and also revealed in late 2021, well over a year after his initial release.

Also regarding Byleth being out, they're fun! I wish the Bow was used more (like as a BAir shot? That'd be sweet), but very stronk specials are always a plus in my book and they hit like a dumpster truck.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
This. Also what you were saying earlier with Mandy, Mandy has strictly specified that they are only talking about FP6. They only acknowledged FP6, this doesn't mean Geno isn't coming, he simply agreed with what he said earlier. Geno could also come after FP7 which is why he is being very silent on Geno. He doesn't answer any questions about future FP except for 6.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yeah but it wasn't. Mandy said literally nothing and you're reading the fact that he wasn't mentioned as Mandy saying he's not in. That's like, absolute tinfoil hat theory. Mandy might also just literally know nothing outside of DLC 6 (who even knows if they do know DLC 6).
You've been kinda antagonistic in a few of your replies to me today, might want to tone it down there a bit buddy.

This. Also what you were saying earlier with Mandy, Mandy has strictly specified that they are only talking about FP6. They only acknowledged FP6, this doesn't mean Geno isn't coming, he simply agreed with what he said earlier. Geno could also come after FP7 which is why he is being very silent on Geno. He doesn't answer any questions about future FP except for 6.
Ah, didn't know that. Well hopefully we will find out who 6 is soon, and if it's Crash then it will be interesting to see what he says next.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Geno could be a literal 'who?' there if SmashFAQs could go five minutes without mentioning how much they dislike him.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You've been kinda antagonistic in a few of your replies to me today, might want to tone it down there a bit buddy.
Having a discussion of opposing viewpoints isn't being antagonistic. All I was doing is pointing out that you're getting a touch paranoid when Mandy is just talking about DLC 6. This wasn't a deconfirm on any of those characters.

Mandy has strictly specified that they are only talking about FP6.
Yes. Exactly.

Geno could be a literal 'who?' there if SmashFAQs could go five minutes without mentioning how much they dislike him.
I swear every time someone mentions GameFAQs, I go "wait, they have discussions?" every time. The only time I ever pulled up that website was for walkthroughs people have posted, or questions someone has asked that I am also asking about; never discussions or anything.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Having a discussion of opposing viewpoints isn't being antagonistic. All I was doing is pointing out that you're getting a touch paranoid when Mandy is just talking about DLC 6. This wasn't a deconfirm on any of those characters.
Well, there was also this reply from earlier today which wasn't needed because I was talking about the second FP which will likely have Geno in it, so my post was relevant.

Yes hi, this is the Geno thread. Why is this here? Seems better suited as a blog post or a tweet.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Looking over Mandy's post history, they really seem to be going for clout in this whole "Crash is FP6" thing. This has fake written all over it, even the cursed ones are rarely if ever this bad (and when the S leaker doesn't even believe you, I'm inclined to think you're fulla crap). Not to mention they've been saying "Crash is 6" for way too long at this point. Why would Mandy know since October that Crash is in but not anyone else? Not to mention all their other predictions besides Byleth are vague at best. Mandy's source also seems to know a bit too much (knows about Smash and MK reveals? That implies this source somehow knows both Nintendo and NetherRealm Studios or already has accumulated 2 sources that no other insider besides this guy know? Yeah, I don't believe it at all). Also, the leakers who may know when a character is coming that early are most likely play testers, which can't be true because Mandy knew the date of the supposed presentation which no play tester would know. Leaks rarely if ever manage to get dates right unless it's E3 because that can be rather obvious.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well, there was also this reply from earlier today which wasn't needed because I was talking about the second FP which will likely have Geno in it, so my post was relevant.
I'm sorry if that upset you, but it was off-topic, unnecessary, and just bashing on an already dead horse. Besides that one response, I haven't been antagonistic to you at all.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know what's interesting? Sakurai said he wasn't going to add Takamaru because he didn't think people would know who he was. Then he said Geno is super popular and gets a lot of requests. Yet people don't call Takamaru a literal who. It's Geno that gets that. According to Sakurai, shouldn't it be the opposite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom