• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I sincerely doubt they know anything that we don't. I'm positive that the identity of the future DLC fighters are under VERY heavy lock and key. If not for Nintendo's own stumble, we would have never had Terry leaked.
Although, Best Buy did reveal Joker's render.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon 'ey, dude, it's awesome to see you in the Geno thread again! Ignoring the, uh... scuffles going on right now, what do you think of Sora's and Geno's chances for additional DLC? I think Geno's got a good shot, if not as a fighter, then at least as an improved Mii costume that looks like him (and not his bootleg brother, 'Jynoh'). Sora, however, is someone I feel whose chances are really understated right now. I think he's got an incredible shot at making the line-up. As someone who isn't a KH or Sora fan, I REALLY feel like his time is now.
Sora's got a good chance, but it's still 50/50 at best depending on how Disney acts. Granted, Disney seems to be opening up as of late, so I'm hopeful.

Geno's got a real chance given that "Spirits disconfirm" is out the window with new DLC and his costume didn't come with Hero (it could come with another character though since Mii Fighter costumes don't seem to be tied to character though). An enhanced Mii Costume is a real possibility too. If he has a chance, it's now.

I'm hoping they both get in since they'd both bring great things to the table.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sora's got a good chance, but it's still 50/50 at best depending on how Disney acts. Granted, Disney seems to be opening up as of late, so I'm hopeful.

Geno's got a real chance given that "Spirits disconfirm" is out the window with new DLC and his costume didn't come with Hero (it could come with another character though since Mii Fighter costumes don't seem to be tied to character though). An enhanced Mii Costume is a real possibility too. If he has a chance, it's now.

How exactly is the rule "spirits deconfirm characters" out of the window? We haven't even gotten our first DLC character who was originally a spirit yet. We should wait for that to happen before we say that rule is gone. We don't even know if the additional DLC will include characters who were originally spirits.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I'll be honest that I feel Disney is less of a roadblock to Sora than people may think, although I could easily be wrong. The possibility is definitely there; basically, if anyone can make it work out, it'd be Sakurai. I've said it before, but I'd hate to see a scenario where Geno gets in and Sora doesn't. It would just feel kind of... wrong. I don't really know how else to describe it but wrong.

I'll be praying for your dude! He'd have a lot of great stuff to bring alongside him and he'd make SO many people happy. Here's hoping he and Geno can join their buddy Arusu without a bear trying to ruin their picnic... again.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How exactly is the rule "spirits deconfirm characters" out of the window? We haven't even gotten our first DLC character who was originally a spirit yet. We should wait for that to happen before we say that rule is gone. We don't even know if the additional DLC will include characters who were originally spirits.
The underlying assumption of "Spirits disconfirm (seriously guys it's not deconfirm)" has certainly taken a hit depending on when any additional fighters outside of the Fighters Pass were decided.

The current facts seem to point to Fighters Pass DLC being negotiated for and decided on both alongside and shortly after Ultimate's development. From this, you can assume the team wouldn't include any characters currently in negotiations as Spirits.

If additional fighters were negotiated for and decided on AFTER this point, then it stands to reason that any character who is a Spirit could potentially be a playable fighter (the reasoning that Spirits disconfirm because they are Spirits is circular, and therefore faulty).

I still believe most Spirits will remain Spirits outside of a choice popular few. And by "popular few," I pretty much mean Geno or Waluigi. Maybe Rex & Pyra.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The underlying assumption of "Spirits disconfirm (seriously guys it's not deconfirm)" has certainly taken a hit depending on when any additional fighters outside of the Fighters Pass were decided.

The current facts seem to point to Fighters Pass DLC being negotiated for and decided on both alongside and shortly after Ultimate's development. From this, you can assume the team wouldn't include any characters currently in negotiations as Spirits.

If additional fighters were negotiated for and decided on AFTER this point, then it stands to reason that any character who is a Spirit could potentially be a playable fighter (the reasoning that Spirits disconfirm because they are Spirits is circular, and therefore faulty).

I still believe most Spirits will remain Spirits outside of a choice popular few. And by "popular few," I pretty much mean Geno or Waluigi. Maybe Rex & Pyra.
Rex & Pyra may stand a surprising chance, although I sure wouldn't bet my money on it. The keyword is 'surprising'. Their chances aren't zero, but I wouldn't expect them. I'm sure Nintendo heard the outcry after Rex's costume was unveiled, not to mention that Sakurai wanted to add Rex himself... but I 'unno.

As for Wah, Iiiiyeee... I don't feel very certain about assist trophies just yet. Call it a gut feeling. It's not impossible, but I just don't see it happening. If any ATs get a promotion, however, I'd imagine it would be him. Alas, I think Isaac's ship has long sailed, and we won't see him unless Golden Sun itself gets a revival. Maybe Shadow would stand a very minuscule chance as an echo/semi-clone, but I'd still give him less than 1% there rofl.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
yeah spirits don't really have much going for deconfirming right now but assist trophies chances will never look good until the precedent gets met someday. That said I think isaac and waluigi would be the only ones with a real chance at getting it, and personally I'd say isaac's chances are better.The support he's gotten for ultimate is up there with us and the ones that actually made it and nintendo seems to be aware of that from the nov reaction if not all the letters they've gotten by now and all the social media buzz. I could totally see using him to promote a remake of the original plot for switch some time in the future and were still missing isaac's iconic gs 1 battle theme from the gs music list. For all the memes and commotion waluigi has never seemed to poll well consistently, with the wonderful spreadsheet compilation fatman shared with as a while back showing him always hanging just under the top 10, and in the eastern ones never seems to come up much at all which is always a red flag for one's chances. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that someone(s) really doesn't like him on the dev team. Reggie made it clear they're aware of the buzz and yet it nothing comes of it and there has been several strange coincidences around it too. Using the waluigi assist reveal as a platform to tell people that not ever request will be fulfilled, using waluigi to show off assists can be killed, removing the waluigi costume for luigi in ultimate, giving his plant a spot on the roster, it's almost seems like they're in on the joke of him always getting shafted and playing in to it. Probably doesn't mean anything but is fun to think about at least.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How can you be sure that they won't just use characters that have not made an appearance within the game for the additional DLC? Like I've said, we haven't seen a spirit become a DLC character yet so we can't say for sure that additional DLC will destroy the "Spirits deconfirm characters" argument right now. We'll just have to wait for a spirit to become a DLC character first before we rule it out.

As for the dis/de argument, I prefer deconfirm because it's like our word to use! The word belongs to us.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Broke: Nintendo announces Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars being added to the SNES NSO library. Soon afterwards Geno is announced as Smash Bros. Ultimate's 5th DLC Fighter.

Woke: Nintendo announces Geno as the 5th DLC Fighter, later revealing a brand new RPG game starring Geno within the Super Mario universe (revealing that the rights to Geno, Mallow, etc. from SMRPG have finally been acquired by Nintendo).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yeah spirits don't really have much going for deconfirming right now but assist trophies chances will never look good until the precedent gets met someday. That said I think isaac and waluigi would be the only ones with a real chance at getting it, and personally I'd say isaac's chances are better.The support he's gotten for ultimate is up there with us and the ones that actually made it and nintendo seems to be aware of that from the nov reaction if not all the letters they've gotten by now and all the social media buzz. I could totally see using him to promote a remake of the original plot for switch some time in the future and were still missing isaac's iconic gs 1 battle theme from the gs music list. For all the memes and commotion waluigi has never seemed to poll well consistently, with the wonderful spreadsheet compilation fatman shared with as a while back showing him always hanging just under the top 10, and in the eastern ones never seems to come up much at all which is always a red flag for one's chances. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that someone(s) really doesn't like him on the dev team. Reggie made it clear they're aware of the buzz and yet it nothing comes of it and there has been several strange coincidences around it too. Using the waluigi assist reveal as a platform to tell people that not ever request will be fulfilled, using waluigi to show off assists can be killed, removing the waluigi costume for luigi in ultimate, giving his plant a spot on the roster, it's almost seems like they're in on the joke of him always getting shafted and playing in to it. Probably doesn't mean anything but is fun to think about at least.
I think they COULD promote Black Knight or Spring Man too. Neither of their Spirit battles force their respective Assist Trophies to appear which is mighty suspicious

D

Deleted member

I know that Shovel Knight, Isaac and Krystal were popular picks then turned into assist trophies. If wonder why Sakurai wouldn’t give Geno the same treatment if he won’t be playable.

D

Deleted member

I think they COULD promote Black Knight or Spring Man too. Neither of their Spirit battles force their respective Assist Trophies to appear which is mighty suspicious
That is odd that the Springman assist wasn’t there.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Not wishing to be a downer, but I wouldn't be singing victory just yet.

Yes, Sakurai said he wanted to make people happy with these additions, but how do we know he doesn't care about stuff like spirits and assists? Not yet. I've gone through this discussion about "what happened in the past doesn't apply for today" when debating on Three Houses characters. Told them they weren't likely because if Nintendo were so interested in promotional characters, they would've included them already, and as time went on, I've only seen things proving me right on that regard: four characters out of five so far and none of them are promotional. But who knows? Maybe Edelgard is truly going to be a character and Sakurai simply needed to play TH before deciding on including someone from there. Maybe Geno is planned and it just so happens that he's left for the end as a hype bomb.

That's why I'd rather just wait for the first post-pass character to be announced before thinking on what path this brings speculation to. Joker was clearly symbolic as Reggie suggested, yet people kept insisting it was just some PR comment with no value behind it; and what Sakurai and Nintendo have recently suggested could easily be a death sentece for practically any character that is somehow connected to Smash (Sans through Mii costume, Geno through Spirit, Waluigi through AT, Edelgard through franchise in the game, etc.).

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
that's true I mean there are several very popular characters on the assist list they could go for. Not sure what BK would be promoting unless you mean tellius game ports, personally I think springman will be the inkling of smash 6, he has the same issue rex did and I recall hearing something about the arms director person saying he doesn't think the series is ready for something like that. I would imagine if we see springman now then were going to get a bunch of switch era fighters like rex coming soon after.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not wishing to be a downer, but I wouldn't be singing victory just yet.

Yes, Sakurai said he wanted to make people happy with these additions, but how do we know he doesn't care about stuff like spirits and assists? Not yet. I've gone through this discussion about "what happened in the past doesn't apply for today" when debating on Three Houses characters. Told them they weren't likely because if Nintendo were so interested in promotional characters, they would've included them already, and as time went on, I've only seen things proving me right on that regard: four characters out of five so far and none of them are promotional. But who knows? Maybe Edelgard is truly going to be a character and Sakurai simply needed to play TH before deciding on including someone from there. Maybe Geno is planned and it just so happens that he's left for the end as a hype bomb.

That's why I'd rather just wait for the first post-pass character to be announced before thinking on what path this brings speculation to. Joker was clearly symbolic as Reggie suggested, yet people kept insisting it was just some PR comment with no value behind it; and what Sakurai and Nintendo have recently suggested could easily be a death sentece for practically any character that is somehow connected to Smash (Sans through Mii costume, Geno through Spirit, Waluigi through AT, Edelgard through franchise in the game, etc.).
What did Nintendo and Sakurai suggest exactly?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How can you be sure that they won't just use characters that have not made an appearance within the game for the additional DLC? Like I've said, we haven't seen a spirit become a DLC character yet so we can't say for sure that additional DLC will destroy the "Spirits deconfirm characters" argument right now. We'll just have to wait for a spirit to become a DLC character first before we rule it out.

As for the dis/de argument, I prefer deconfirm because it's like our word to use! The word belongs to us.
I'm not sure. My argument isn't "Spirits will be DLC characters," it's "Spirits can be DLC characters." Which you can't really argue against, especially now that the crux of the "Spirits disconfirm" argument is out the window.

Also, the word deconfirm literally doesn't exist, and is grammatically incorrect. It's telling that one exists on Urban Dictionary, and the other is on Merriam-Webster. If you want to be grammatically correct that's on you, but it's definitely not a good look if you take it into most any other setting.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
What did Nintendo and Sakurai suggest exactly?
From Nintendo's president Shuntaro Furukawa (all credits to Intelliheath from ResetERA for finding it):
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be released in December.
This title will be the largest-ever game in the Smash Bros. series in every aspect, with an overwhelming amount of content, bringing together famous franchises’ characters in what will be the gaming industry’s one of the greatest collaboration titles. What sets the Smash Bros. series apart is that the basic rules and operations of the game are very simple, yet for those who want to pursue the game it offers a real depth of gameplay. The games are welcoming, since people who seldom play have a good chance of witnessing the appearance of certain elements they recognize, so we are working to spark the interest of a wide range of consumers, and not just fans of the Smash Bros. series.
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo’s main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP.
And from Sakurai, there's basically his comments about getting involved with so many game franchises at once. Coupled with other highlights such as this:
Smash was once subtitled “Nintendo All-Stars,” but the game’s scope has expanded far beyond Nintendo. When asked how he defines Smash, Sakurai said that it essentially comes down to the way it feels to play the game. If it were to be reduced to nothing more than another 1-on-1 fighting game, then it would no longer be Smash.
Really give the idea of Nintendo characters not being a big priority.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Even wendy’s awhile back dropped some hints that (at least whoever runs their social media account) they want to see geno get in.

Now walmart? No matter what happens at this point, geno has gained a legacy no other 3rd party side character in gaming could probably reach. Sure we’ve had wario and yoshi who in the past were just side characters and developed into their own things, but they were first party Nintendo characters.
Wait wait wait wait whoa whoa whoa whoa stop.

Walmart and Wendy's know about the Geno cult.

What a wonderful world we live in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, I was going to use After Effects to combine these animations together, but I just opened it and realized - Either I forgot how to use it because it's been so long or it's changed. It was blurring all the animations

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Do you guys think Spirits deconfirm? I've been seeing a lot of people say Geno isn't happening because of his Spirit. :confused:
I say for the current Fighters Pass Spirits deconfirm characters. The reason for is because DLC was decided very early on in development so they knew which 5 characters were going to be Fighters and the rest turn into Spirits. With Smash Bros 4 DLC was decided very late in the development so stuff that was made early on, like Trophies, wouldn't have affect a character chance on DLC.

Now with more DLC being made and getting announced this late I feel like Spirits won't deconfirm a character. It would be silly for them to say "welp, this character a png, can't use that anymore. Throw out the 1300 characters that were Spirits."

I'm pretty sure characters that were turn into Spirits, Mii Costumes and Assist Trophies are getting another shot with more DLC being made.

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
Not going to lie, I'd rather get the battle theme than the Armed Boss theme if Geno gets in. Forest Maze is still good though.:drshrug:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
As a total aside, I'd rather have Crash in Smash than Rayman. Crash just seems more of an icon to me that would likely blow a lot more minds than Rayman would (since people still somehow think Sony owns Crash). Crash just represents that early Sony vs. Nintendo era, and I think thad'd be cool to represent that 90s mascot platformer trio (Mario, Sonic, Crash) all together. Keep in mind that I didn't grow up in the 90s, nor have I even played a Crash Bandicoot game. I just think the impact of him being in would be awesome to see.

No disrespect towards Rayman though, if he got in I'd be totally down, I just think Crash would be cooler on almost every level.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm not sure. My argument isn't "Spirits will be DLC characters," it's "Spirits can be DLC characters." Which you can't really argue against, especially now that the crux of the "Spirits disconfirm" argument is out the window.

Also, the word deconfirm literally doesn't exist, and is grammatically incorrect. It's telling that one exists on Urban Dictionary, and the other is on Merriam-Webster. If you want to be grammatically correct that's on you, but it's definitely not a good look if you take it into most any other setting.
You can't say that the "Spirits deconfirm characters" argument is out of the window because it still holds ground as of now.

I know deconfirm is not a real word but deconfirm is a Smash community word and we're talking about video games so having a good look isn't all that necessary but whatever man. It's to-mate-o, to-mart-o in here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario RPG BG.png

Anyone remember what NES game this is?

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to think of enough characters to do one of those, but my list of actual wants is just Geno and Isaac. After that I drop into ridiculous never ever territory. Or maybe that's even more of a reason to make one.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Forgot to bring it up but yeah that pass template looks fantastic great work. That said if they were to willing to break for some 1st parties and all we got was porky and Mike Jones I would be kinda mad ngl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom