• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 238982
Lloyd may be our fifth. Obviously this could be a number of things (the DOOM composer is working on a secret NDA project, too) but Lloyd would make sense.

Still thinking Geno is part of the bonus guys.
I think Lloyd is likely, but Im doubting if he would be in this wave specifically. I'm not one to complain about "Anime Swordsmen" type characters, especially if they have a strong presence in Video Game History, but I feel like after getting Banjo and Terry, the 5th pick will be someone that differentiates themselves from that group. I think Doom fits better as a the 5th fighter and Lloyd works better as a character in the next wave

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ryu, and then to a lesser degree Lloyd and geno are who I've been expecting for character 5, the former for all the rumors and the massive amount of collaboration with Nintendo has done over the years with kt as well as being the the only 3rd party to genuinely support nes online beyond a tokenary gesture, Lloyd because of the missing costume, no new bamco characters and sakurai stating in no uncertain terms Lloyd would be our hypothetical tales rep. Geno of course is just a matter of when : )

Doomguy wouldn't surprise me by now.but I don't expect it to happen as there has been no precedent for a eastern "who" yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It could be for something that isn’t Smash OR Tales. Remember when Cristina Vee teased an NDA role, ppl thought it was Shantae in Smash but it turned out to be Fortnite?
This guy's credited for over 200 voice acting jobs including huge games like Call of Duty, some Star Wars, Warcraft, and some more niche stuff like Tales of and Dark Cloud 2.

Nintendo probably wouldn't even let a voice actor talk about the gig even in an indirect almost taunting way like this. Imagine Grant Kirkhope saying "boy oh boy sure feels good to be composing for this project that's under an NDA!" People were already speculating when he was actively saying "not gonna happen".

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
These people are almost always working on some NDA project, I'd imagine. Scott Menville voices so many characters it makes my head swim, it could be literally anything.

Granted, his costume hasn't returned either, but out of all the Namco characters they could finally decide to add, why another anime swordsman?
To be fair, Lloyd was a popular request for Smash a while back. It's not as prominent now, but I believe he had a huge following around Brawl but I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am. I definitely put him under kind of a fan pick character if this is the case. Also Tales of is also huge in Japan. And I believe that people consider Tales of, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest to be the big 3 in terms of JRPGs in Japan, so getting them all together in one game would actually be pretty big and would be the type of thing that I can see them bringing together

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This guy's credited for over 200 voice acting jobs including huge games like Call of Duty, some Star Wars, Warcraft, and some more niche stuff like Tales of and Dark Cloud 2.

Nintendo probably wouldn't even let a voice actor talk about the gig even in an indirect almost taunting way like this. Imagine Grant Kirkhope saying "boy oh boy sure feels good to be composing for this project that's under an NDA!" People were already speculating when he was actively saying "not gonna happen".
To be fair, Adam Howden (Shulk’s VO) did a similar tease months before Shulk was confirmed for 4, and he later confirmed it was for Smash.

If we were to get another Namco rep, I would personally prefer KOS-MOS or Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria (she represents Tales in a way that isn’t “swordsman”)

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Lloyd was a popular request for Smash a while back. It's not as prominent now, but I believe he had a huge following around Brawl but I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am. I definitely put him under kind of a fan pick character if this is the case. Also Tales of is also huge in Japan. And I believe that people consider Tales of, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest to be the big 3 in terms of JRPGs in Japan, so getting them all together in one game would actually be pretty big and would be the type of thing that I can see them bringing together
Yes, Lloyd did have a big fan following in Brawl, Tales of Symphonia had made big waves on the Gamecube and was still fresh on everyone's mind. I was a fan of Lloyd for Smash back then, but that's also when we had two Fire Emblem characters in Smash and every other character getting revealed didn't have a counter down B.

From my understanding, Lloyd doesn't really have such enduring popularity as the last Tales of game he was in didn't do so well. Enduring enough to get that Mii costume, though.

To be fair, Adam Howden (Shulk’s VO) did a similar tease months before Shulk was confirmed for 4, and he later confirmed it was for Smash.

If we were to get another Namco rep, I would personally prefer KOS-MOS or Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria (she represents Tales in a way that isn’t “swordsman”)
I'm all in on Klonoa or someone super obscure like Valkyrie from Valkyrie No Densetsu. No particular reason on Valkyrie, I just want to watch more zoomer minds melt.

Last edited by a moderator:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You have to think about characters that actually appeal to the general masses, though. Lloyd has been synonymous with Smash speculation since Brawl. Definitely to a lesser extent than characters like Mega Man or Geno but he's always been there.

Double swordsman would be unique enough for me, anyway. I think the Lloyd and Geno costumes are the only ones that aren't back that would fit as decently-unique playable 3rd party characters.

D

Deleted member

You have to think about characters that actually appeal to the general masses, though. Lloyd has been synonymous with Smash speculation since Brawl. Definitely to a lesser extent than characters like Mega Man or Geno but he's always been there.

Double swordsman would be unique enough for me, anyway. I think the Lloyd and Geno costumes are the only ones that aren't back that would fit as decently-unique playable 3rd party characters.
I'm a HUGE fan of dual-swords as a weapon and love the subtlety and finesse that applies to the real-world use of an on hand and off hand sword, but I just can't see Lloyd or anyone else with two swords bringing something unique to the table. He'd just end up doing jedi flips all over the stage and we have that, unrealistic as it is, in the rest of our sword fighters.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Lloyd for a long time was a character I’d have been ok with in the pass but after 2 animu RPG blade users and I animu-esque Fighter I’m really hoping Doomguy is the final pass character if its not Geno just to have a bigger diversity in terms of character aesthetics. At this point Lloyd would be kind of like getting Corrin last game. An interesting and unique way of doing an animu weapon character than we have thus far that feels less interesting because we have so many animu weapon characters.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
just had an idea wit geno's trailer
yknow like the beginning of banjos/k rols trailer, instead of going up, it goes down to the Mario peach and bowser picture.
reason being is that the note the Mario picture is on is the exact first note for "battle against an armed boss"

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
yknow like the beginning of banjos/k rols trailer, instead of going up, it goes down to the Mario peach and bowser picture.
reason being is that the note the Mario picture is on is the exact first note for "battle against an armed boss"
I refuse to believe they planned this far ahead, but it would be absolutely amazing if they did. If it happens I'll brand you a witch though.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 238982
Lloyd may be our fifth. Obviously this could be a number of things (the DOOM composer is working on a secret NDA project, too) but Lloyd would make sense.

It doesn't give us anything concrete but Lloyd now becomes one of the possible 5th fighters for the fighters pass, along with Doom Guy, Geno and Ryu Hayabusa.

D

Deleted member

this is the reach of the century but I like it either way.

according to the only sheet music I can find (which granted is fan-made), Fight against an Armed Boss starts on an F note where the Heroes vs Villains trailer sounds more like a C. I'm not an expert, just playing a keyboard in tune with the first note and seeing which sounds most similar.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
View attachment 238982

Company theory's lookin' mighty strong right now, not gonna lie.
S - quareEnix
M - icrosoft
A - tlus
S - NK
H - amcoBandai

D

Deleted member

Company theory's lookin' mighty strong right now, not gonna lie.
S - quareEnix
M - icrosoft
A - tlus
S - NK
H - amcoBandai
Wait.

Humongous Entertainment starts with an H.

Guys.

The Putt-Putt leak was real.

Firox

Smash Master
What do you mean there aren't many more notable video game characters out there to compete with? There's an absolute ton of them now that we've fully embraced the third party angle: Sora, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, etc. Like Smash polls are one thing, but recognizable and notable video game characters? Smash could add another 50 fighters and still not cover that insanely wide category.
Firstly, the ten or so you named along with Geno would constitute the most notable characters we have left right now that aren't already in the game, at least as far as Smash speculation goes. This doesn't in any way disprove my point that Geno has relatively little competition, especially when you consider the fact that some of those picks are more than likely one or the other (ie. We would get EITHER Master Chief OR Doomslayer, but they're too alike for us to get both unless we start getting DLC echoes).

Secondly, by "notable" I'm referring to both general relevance AND widespread popularity. Someone, somewhere, deep in their mom's basement probably thinks Poppy from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an absolute shoe-in for smash and can't understand why she wouldn't be considered "notable". That doesn't mean they're right. Granted, we could argue all day over the qualifications of "notable", but in the context of the official smash poll, recent events, Mii costumes, and the words out of freaking Sakurai himself, none of the characters you've listed comes close to Geno in terms of "notable". That's not to say that we don't still end up with Master Chief, etc. seeing as how something as utterly random as PP got in, but again, when it comes to Nintendo/Sakurai's radar, I don't see the absolute plethora of more obscure characters getting in over Geno.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The fighter pass is patterned off of the Smash 4 DLC:

An unexpected character people thought couldn't be added due to guns: Joker/Bayonetta
A JRPG icon: Hero/Cloud
Iconic fighting game: Terry/Ryu
Characters who people wanted to come back home after they were removed: Banjo-Kazooie/Mewtwo/Roy/Lucas

And that means character 5 will beeeeee!!!!...............a lackluster shill pick.

Maybe its better that some patterns aren't followed.

D

Deleted member

An unexpected character people thought couldn't be added due to guns: Joker/Bayonetta
Characters who people wanted to come back home after they were removed: Banjo-Kazooie/Mewtwo/Roy/Lucas

And that means character 5 will beeeeee!!!!...............a lackluster shill pick.

naahh

but if it weren't for Banjo it would be eerily similar, moving backwards. The problem is we'd have to have gotten our trashy shill pick first.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

"lackluster shill pick"
Well It's Doom Slayer boyz pack it up
We did it, Speculation is no more :shades:

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah the only thing corrin tier I can think of was that dreadful katalina rumor from last fall

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Firstly, the ten or so you named along with Geno would constitute the most notable characters we have left right now that aren't already in the game, at least as far as Smash speculation goes. This doesn't in any way disprove my point that Geno has relatively little competition, especially when you consider the fact that some of those picks are more than likely one or the other (ie. We would get EITHER Master Chief OR Doomslayer, but they're too alike for us to get both unless we start getting DLC echoes).

Secondly, by "notable" I'm referring to both general relevance AND widespread popularity. Someone, somewhere, deep in their mom's basement probably thinks Poppy from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an absolute shoe-in for smash and can't understand why she wouldn't be considered "notable". That doesn't mean they're right. Granted, we could argue all day over the qualifications of "notable", but in the context of the official smash poll, recent events, Mii costumes, and the words out of freaking Sakurai himself, none of the characters you've listed comes close to Geno in terms of "notable". That's not to say that we don't still end up with Master Chief, etc. seeing as how something as utterly random as PP got in, but again, when it comes to Nintendo/Sakurai's radar, I don't see the absolute plethora of more obscure characters getting in over Geno.
So, we're going to pretend like we don't ever get two characters who share similarities and arbitrarily say we can only get Master Chief or Doom Slayer? OK. This is nonsensical in how you're approaching this position (also Doom Slayer and Master Chief would never be Echoes because they don't fit each other's skeletons and the original Doom Guy could easily differentiate himself from Chief, but I digress...).

Furthermore, there are more than those 10 left. Guilty Gear's Sol Badguy, Touhou's Reimu, the Dragonborn from Skyrim, Steve from Minecraft, Dante from Devil May Cry, Mortal Kombat's Scorpion, Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, Ubisoft's Rayman, 2B from the Nier series, etc. etc. etc. There are so many characters from notable series left at this point that we're not remotely close to running out (and keep in mind, what is popular in the US does not necessarily translate to the rest of the world and Nintendo will market to more than just the US because that's good business). Geno has **** loads of competition as does literally every other character in speculation.

You really don't wanna play the "relevance card" with Geno. He's not at all. He's popular with the core Smash fan base and works as an appeal to that group of people (something they have done multiple times such as with Banjo & Kazooie), but he's not a character that ranks particularly well with "general relevance" and "widespread popularity." You had to include how many modifiers to get to your "notable" definition working in favor of Geno? Like those are all good things going for Geno's potential inclusion in Smash, but you're kind of having to twist notable a whole hell of a lot to make that work. Sure, Geno's more notable than a random Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character, but he's a lot more obscure than a ton of third party picks and several of the first party picks too.

Geno has a great chance of getting in based upon fan demand if Sakurai chooses to appeal to the "core Smash bubble" again like he did with Banjo & Kazooie, and that will entirely be on the back of fan popularity and his personal interest in the character. But let's not invent narratives to try to make him somehow more likely.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
You and I are going to have a problem if you even dare to compare Doom Guy to Corrin. :mad:
I was joking sorry if I angered you x)
I definitely don't think of Doom Slayer as being a lackluster "shill" pick at all lol
Just know that some people think that way which is just stupid
(Also Corrin is just bottom of the barrel trash and he is only worth being recognized for being the only Fire Emblem character to actually have a unique moveset lmao)

Firox

Smash Master
So, we're going to pretend like we don't ever get two characters who share similarities and arbitrarily say we can only get Master Chief or Doom Slayer? OK. This is nonsensical in how you're approaching this position (also Doom Slayer and Master Chief would never be Echoes because they don't fit each other's skeletons and the original Doom Guy could easily differentiate himself from Chief, but I digress...).
Apparently, you can pretend like we DO. Please name two Smash DLC characters that have ever been as physically and thematically similar as Master Chief and Doomslayer. Yeah. Didn't think so. And obviously those two would never be echoes, I was just using the notion as an example of how absurd it would be to have both of them together. Say what you want, but to argue that we could get them both as fighters in the same game is a far more nonsensical position.

Furthermore, there are more than those 10 left. Guilty Gear's Sol Badguy, Touhou's Reimu, the Dragonborn from Skyrim, Steve from Minecraft, Dante from Devil May Cry, Mortal Kombat's Scorpion, Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, Ubisoft's Rayman, 2B from the Nier series, etc. etc. etc. There are so many characters from notable series left at this point that we're not remotely close to running out (and keep in mind, what is popular in the US does not necessarily translate to the rest of the world and Nintendo will market to more than just the US because that's good business). Geno has **** loads of competition as does literally every other character in speculation.
You totally missed what I was trying to say about a character being notable. EXISTING does not automatically = notable. If you honestly think that ALL characters in existence have an equal chance, then your logic is horribly flawed and beyond reasoning. While I will admit that the chances are more open than ever, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Marcus Phoenix from Gears of War is not getting in. But wait! Isn't he from a notable series??!!! Doesn't matter. The fans aren't there, Nintendo's not there, Sakurai's not there. Period. Fight me if you want, but if you do, I assure you that I will archive your response just so I can force-feed you crow when he doesn't get in.

You really don't wanna play the "relevance card" with Geno. He's not at all. He's popular with the core Smash fan base and works as an appeal to that group of people (something they have done multiple times such as with Banjo & Kazooie), but he's not a character that ranks particularly well with "general relevance" and "widespread popularity."
Sorry to break it to you but "relevance" is often decided by the people. You keep talking about the "core Smash fans" or the "core Smash bubble" like it's some trivial cult, but news flash, it got us the previously IRRELEVANT Banjo-Kazooie! We MAKE characters relevant! Fan demand is how to get a new Megaman game after several years of neglect. Fan demand is how Geno ended up as a splash-screen Mii costume in the first place. Even if you want to argue that Nintendo sees him as irrelevant, that doesn't mean we can't change their minds. We've done it AT LEAST once (Ridley, Krool, B-K, etc.), we can do it again. It's not a "narrative". It's the truth whether you want to believe it or not. Let's not object for the sake of objection. For a so-called supporter of Geno, it never ceases to jar me how adamantly you stomp on his chances.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Sorry Geno thread, your character is done. I have come to realize he is an irrelevant nobody who would take up the slot of a character who actually deserves to be in Smash...

The Goose from "Untitled Goose Game."

No argument. Nope, you're wrong. I win, bye-bye.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I definitely don't think of Doom Slayer as being a lackluster "shill" pick at all lol
(Also Corrin is just bottom of the barrel trash and he is only worth being recognized for being the only Fire Emblem character to actually have a unique moveset lmao)
nono don't worry. I was just playing along haha.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry Geno thread, your character is done. I have come to realize he is an irrelevant nobody who would take up the slot of a character who actually deserves to be in Smash...

The Goose from "Untitled Goose Game."

No argument. Nope, you're wrong. I win, bye-bye.
Welp, time to pack up shop, boys, gals, and folks. We're about done here. It's over. We lost.

honk

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Shill pick? SIRFETCH'D PLEASE SAKURAI
I will accept a shill pick if it means this duck gets in Smash

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Apparently, you can pretend like we DO. Please name two Smash DLC characters that have ever been as physically and thematically similar as Master Chief and Doomslayer. Yeah. Didn't think so. And obviously those two would never be echoes, I was just using the notion as an example of how absurd it would be to have both of them together. Say what you want, but to argue that we could get them both as fighters in the same game is a far more nonsensical position.
Doom and Halo are not thematically similar series beyond the fact that they're both incredibly important first person shooters with protagonists that have dressed in green power armor. Their similarities pretty much end there. Also Roy and Corrin? They were both DLC during Smash 4's DLC cycle. We also have Joker and Hero, who have about as much in common as traditional turned based JRPGs as Halo and Doom (and a number of people specifically argue that all anime blade wielders look the exact same anyway). Doom Guy can look very different from Chief depending on how you implement him too, he doesn't have to me in the power armor look of Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal. He can look more like he did in the original games.

This goes without saying that Doom and Halo are two huge additions that would be added for different reasons and have different circumstances in their inclusions. Halo with Microsoft partnership and for a big gaming crossover moment again, Doom for its importance as industry defining release and for the Bethesda relationship. When we could be looking at as many as another 11 characters, similarities between the series isn't much of a problem and it's not like Sakurai is just going to give up implementing characters because, "Ah damn, already got one influential FPS character in."

You totally missed what I was trying to say about a character being notable. EXISTING does not automatically = notable. If you honestly think that ALL characters in existence have an equal chance, then your logic is horribly flawed and beyond reasoning. While I will admit that the chances are more open than ever, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Marcus Phoenix from Gears of War is not getting in. But wait! Isn't he from a notable series??!!! Doesn't matter. The fans aren't there, Nintendo's not there, Sakurai's not there. Period. Fight me if you want, but if you do, I assure you that I will archive your response just so I can force-feed you crow when he doesn't get in.
No, existing doesn't mean notable. But there's a lot of competition for DLC characters is what I was saying and the point you managed to miss of my posting. There's a lot of competition for spots that all characters will experience regardless of their individual merits because there are so many good options for inclusion in Smash. I'm not saying all characters have an equal chance, I'm saying they're all in the same competition. All characters have loads of competition is what I'm saying. I'm not claiming anything about Marcus Phoenix, so why bring him up?

Sorry to break it to you but "relevance" is often decided by the people. You keep talking about the "core Smash fans" or the "core Smash bubble" like it's some trivial cult, but news flash, it got us the previously IRRELEVANT Banjo-Kazooie! We MAKE characters relevant! Fan demand is how to get a new Megaman game after several years of neglect. Fan demand is how Geno ended up as a splash-screen Mii costume in the first place. Even if you want to argue that Nintendo sees him as irrelevant, that doesn't mean we can't change their minds. We've done it AT LEAST once (Ridley, Krool, B-K, etc.), we can do it again. It's not a "narrative". It's the truth whether you want to believe it or not. Let's not object for the sake of objection. For a so-called supporter of Geno, it never ceases to jar me how adamantly you stomp on his chances.
Relevance is already decided by the people and has been. Geno isn't relevant on a wider scale because he's got one actual appearance from 23 years ago under his belt. That's not saying anything about his chances as a character or any other characters for that matter. You can separate relevance and character popularity as individual pieces of information to work through. King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are still irrelevant in any context outside of Smash right now and were at the times of their inclusion. That doesn't preclude their inclusion, but it's just a reality they had to face to get into Smash, the same as Geno. Relevancy has traditionally referred to a wider definition than just the Smash bubble and seeing which characters are peforming in noteable ways in other realms of the industry. A character can get in despite not being relevant as is proven by other characters. Fan demand has a place in deciding some characters choices for Smash.

I keep talking about the "core Smash fans" and the "core Smash bubble" because that 100% is a thing. There's a group of very vocal people who take to the internet to support their characters and ideas within the Smash community. That probably accounts for like 1,000,000 or less fans or so who more religiously approach the game and its speculation and also have a tendency to be an incredibly insulated community with certain biases towards and against certain characters with even bigger blindspots in some areas. Only 1.8 million votes were recorded (which are not necessarily all unique people, we know people used multiple IPs because they've self-admitted to it) in the Smash ballot, which only accounts for 12% of the Smash population (of 15 million sells of Ultimate). There are a huge number of voices beyond that number and fans who want to see other things or don't share the same biases we do as part of the core. Most of the online polls we conduct have a tendency to just keep polling the same population of people without expanding out in to the more broad audience of Smash consumers. This is a group that you'll appeal to with marketing like you will all other groups, but it absolutely does not speak for all Smash players or even most of them. I'm saying that Geno makes a lot of sense as an inclusion to appeal to this group of people and that he aligns with Sakurai's personal interest and thus has a good shot for that reason. Again, fan demand has a place in Smash, that's pretty obvious. But Geno doesn't really appeal to people beyond this group, which is fine. Master Chief, for example, may not necessarily appeal to the "core Smash bubble," but he can appeal to new fans of Smash or some of the other 13 million people beyond the traditional ballot. Characters have different appeals to different people, and that's a good thing that should be celebrated throughout the community as it results in a more diverse and unpredictable roster for us. The "narrative" I refer to is acting like Geno has this just huge appeal beyond the specific subset of the population I'm referring to and making him sound more likely than he is as a front runner that can inherently be in a better position than other characters who do have wider appeals than Geno and are characters that show up more in the public consciousness (and unsurprisingly often find themselves with large fan bases within the Smash bubble too).

I don't know why you're coming after me so hard like I'm going against Geno here. I'm not and I even make a point to say that I think he has a great chance as a character made to appeal to the "core Smash bubble." I've been nothing but supportive of him since we got the announcement of more characters and I have maintained for months that he had a great opportunity whenever Sakurai was next choosing characters. I'm a Geno fan who thinks he's a really cool and popular character within a group of people, and that has always been plenty for him to potentially get into Smash, especially with Sakurai's support and approval. I'm not stomping on his chances in the least bit, I'm just heavily disagreeing with how you characterize his overall appeal and overall chances for Ultimate's DLC.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have to keep reinforcing this point, but almost every element of Ultimate was designed around the fans and was not trying to expand into new audiences or anything of the sort. The only additions that maybe didn't fit that idea were Isabelle (an incredibly popular Nintendo character in her own right) and Incineroar (a Pokemon that Sakurai wanted to create and is actually quite popular despite what some people may have you believe). It's also not nearly the pinnacle of listening to the fans as you're trying to position it. Chorus Kids weren't exactly a majorly requested fighter, and Mach Rider is the epitome of niche because Sakurai wanted to. You still wouldn't have satisfied Bandanna Dee fans, Shantae fans, Ashley fans, etc. There's always a scenario where people get left out because the resources for base game are finite and they covered a ton of territory with the limited additions.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are other people out there than you and those people are worth appealing to every bit as much as you. Nintendo and Sakurai catered to the core fan base like ****ing mad in the base game of Ultimate, so I'm always a little pissed when I see people just constantly bemoaning that they don't always get the preferred treatment of only their characters. The group of vocal online fans that only accounts for a small portion of the Smash fan base and overall consumer base should not dictate literally every part of the game all the time. Smash Ultimate has sold 15 million copies and only 1.8 million voted in the ballot to begin with, so there's still over 13 million people who play Smash who have a voice and can be marketed to as well. And there's all the new people Smash will bring in because, at the end of the day, bringing more people into the community is only a good thing for Smash and expanding its player base will allow it to continue receiving DLC and attention. Yes, the "core Smash bubble" should be listened to at times, and they absolutely have been throughout Ultimate's life cycle already.

I also find it kind of dumb to argue against DLC that pleases people. Every character has fans and those fans are more than happy to pay for the work required to make their character a reality and they work just as fine as DLC additions. Not to mention, plenty of people enjoy these additions and don't see them as disappointments anyway.
Can we all please take a good long look at the point this person is making here? I don't post much in this thread, but I've said before how I'm not even that big a Geno fan in the slightest (haven't even played Super Mario RPG) and yet I really am pulling for you guys to finally get your character (since Geno fans have waited so long).

Yet I'm a little tired of people who bicker and moan and "oh another anime swordsman," "oh another character I don't recognize," "oh Sakurai should listen to fans more." Sakurai busts his rear end off to make this game. He went to work with an IV for God's sake. Look, I totally get it, you want your character. You've waited for years, and if he doesn't get in, you'll be disappointed. But honestly, to those of you (not gonna call anyone out specifically) which say you're gonna quit Smash Ultimate just because Geno isn't in and/or is a Mii costume... well, I don't mean to across condescending, but grow up. Seriously, if your enjoyment of this labor of love that has over 80 characters hinges on some fictional puppet, you need to get your priorities checked. I get it, you have personal attachment to Geno, but at the end of the day, he is a video game character. If he has that much power over your emotions that him not being in ruins the ENTIRE game for you... then you need some introspection.

Again, I get it, you want Geno. But it just seems strange to suddenly quit a game because it didn't go your way. It sounds like you didn't love it too much to start with if you're willing to drop it so quickly. Seriously, some people in this thread need to stop it with the passive-aggressiveness against Sakurai and need to accept if Geno doesn't get in (again, I want him and I do think he has a good shot). Sakurai has listened to to fans so much, and I'm sorry, but not everyone can be pleased. And I'm sorry, but there are going to be characters you don't know that get in. I had no idea who Terry was, but after I've researched him and his games + the impact they had on Smash's development...uh, yeah, I think he rightfully earned a spot. Smash isn't a popularity contest all the time, I want characters like Bandana Dee and Shadow, but SSBU is already so big and has so much that, while yes I wish they were playable, the amount of love/content Sakurai puts has in the game makes me totally content with the roster. Keep in mind that Sakurai is giving us MORE DLC. He doesn't have to, he WANTS to. Sakurai is a man with his own opinions and biases, if he like "anime-styled" characters, then he does. If you think the roster stinks just because of a character you didn't get and drop the game for that alone, then you are part of the reason the Smash fanbase gets such a bad rap. We are approaching 90 characters, let that sink in before moaning and being passive-aggressive towards Sakurai and Nintendo in almost every post.

Seriously, if Geno not being in Smash ruins the entire game for you, then maybe you shouldn't have entered Smash speculation in the first place.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hell no. Corrin is so trash that he clones Marth's up and forward air along with a down b counter. I think you mean Robin.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Who said there going to bin the game because geno isn't in it? This is getting ridiculous calm down yall

Firox

Smash Master
Doom and Halo are not thematically similar series beyond the fact that they're both incredibly important first person shooters with protagonists that have dressed in green power armor. Their similarities pretty much end there. Also Roy and Corrin? They were both DLC during Smash 4's DLC cycle. We also have Joker and Hero, who have about as much in common as traditional turned based JRPGs as Halo and Doom (and a number of people specifically argue that all anime blade wielders look the exact same anyway). Doom Guy can look very different from Chief depending on how you implement him too, he doesn't have to me in the power armor look of Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal. He can look more like he did in the original games.
I'm sorry but your comparisons are way off base here. Both Master chief and Doomslayer are super soldiers in green power armor that use guns. That's pretty freaking similar. Similar enough that I heavily doubt that the public at large would think they're significantly different, back stories aside. They certainly have way more in common than Roy and Corrin. Corrin has by far one of the most unique movesets among the FE characters. Even visually speaking, the only think Corrin has in common with Roy is a sword. Yeah, not even close to a good comparison to MC and DS. Joker and Hero are night and day as well despite both being in JRPGs. Your argument on this one just doesn't hold water.

As for the rest of your points, it kind of feels like you're back pedaling. You argue that the "smash bubble" is small and that Geno is questionably relevant, yet the "vocal minority" can still generate noticeable change and create relevance. I never said that Geno has "huge general appeal", I'm just saying that he has more going for him with respect to Sakurai/Nintendo visibility than many other characters out there. If you disagree, so be it. I don't have time to waste arguing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom