• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How would you feel if this were all the dlc characters?

https://i.imgur.com/jY7OGxz.jpg
I like: Doom Guy, Geno, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown
I don't like: Rayman, Agent 8, Porky, Sylux

focusing on JUST fighters (maybe some Mii costumes) and not any more stages, modes, etc.
They have to add more stages if there are going to be more third party characters. Every third party character has come with a stage to represent their series and it'd be rather disappointing to not allow other characters to enter each others worlds.

Evidentially I may be wrong about Klonoa since his trademark just got updated, apparently. https://chizai-watch.com/t/2019117564
That tells us that something may happen with Klonoa. Since Klonoa may never get another game, I'm thinking it could be Smash related. He could be a Mii fighter costume or actually be a playable Character.

This is the only acceptable fighter pass 2. Don't @ me.

View attachment 238491
Monika? @
However Heavy Weapons Guy, Doom Guy, Lawyer Guy and Doll Guy are pretty cool.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean, what other control could Sony be afraid of losing? Marketing control? Is that really so important to them?
I¨m talking about licensing control. For example, everything that was introduced in Far From Home and Homecoming is owned by Sony and they can continue using them because they paid THE ENTIRE THING... if Disney started to pay for the movie's budget, they would start getting in Square Enix license territory. They can use Michael Keaton's Vulture and JAke Gylenhaals Mysterio as much as they want as long as they don¨t mention the Avengers because of this. If Disney had paid part of the budget, then it would mud the water and in how what lies where and all that jazz when it comes to stuff introduced there. The only thing that is introduced in an MCU movie that they can still use is Tom Holland because he is under a Sony contract due to it being their license. Marvel was only part of the process of picking the actor, not when it comes to paying him. Let¨s not also forget that they wanted to pay and get control over all the spinoffs (that weren¨t even planned to be apart of the MCU to begin with) which would make the water even muddier if they had allowed Disney the deal. That's extortion

Well yeah, but that's the whole point, right? Sony tried to spin the story as though the agreement fell through BECAUSE Feige had too much on his plate, when in reality there's no universe where Feige would be too busy to work on Spider-Man. The deal fell through due to greed on both sides.
And how would it have sounded if they said straight up that Bob Iger and Alan Horn didn¨t allow him? That would sound straight up unprofessional compared to the "he doesn¨t have time statement". It would make them look petty and childish

I dunno how else you'd describe a movie that made over 100 million less than its critically-panned predecessor
First off, critically panned? Spiderman 3 has 63% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not a critically panned movie. Movies like X-men Apocalypse or X-men Dark Pheonix is movies that are critically panned movies if we shall go with Marvel examples.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3

Also... The Amazing Spiderman was a movie that came after Spiderman 3... they did not have a build-up from Spiderman 2. So
757,930,663 in revenue for a reboot that came after Spiderman 3 and not something like Spiderman 2 is solid start of a new franchise

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't even believe that. Not singling out Sabi here but the insiders in general: it was mentioned that no one had any idea on character 4 and people were actually happy potentially going into a future Direct with Smash news blind. 4 was a mystery. Then the SNK leak on Nintendo's site happened and all of a sudden insiders were all 'Nah, we knew it was Terry for awhile.' Yet just 20 minutes before this, everyone was in the dark.

So, no, I think some insiders know exactly who character 5 is. They are just waiting for something to come out first before they can be more vocal.
Yeah this is one of those situations in which there is notable inconsistency. When IAmShifty made his video about how Ryu was going to be the 4th fighter, iirc every notable insider said they had heard nothing about Ryu. Then, when SNK leaked and Sabi posted about how speculation was going to go wild and subsequently referenced a 4chan rumor, insiders had heard Ryu get thrown around. Do insiders hear names? Probably all the time. Do any of them know for sure who 5 is? Maybe, it's been 13 days since the direct.

Needless to say, I doubt Ryu Hayabusa is gonna be in the fighter pass, or even in Smash period. Maybe he'll get a Mii costume - if swordfighter is "close enough" for a character like Goemon, he's more than close enough for Ryu.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I did pretty well with the base+pass so far with ridley, banjo, castlevania, and k.rool. I'll try again sine the clock has been reset.

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. DoomSlayer
4. Issac/Dixie/Waddle Dee
5. Raziel (Soul Reaver)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Welp, I gotta bring out the list again, huh? It took a lot of thought, so I hope y'all appreciate it.

1) Geno
2) Geno with a top hat on top of his hat
3) Geno with a sailor hat on top of his hat
4) Geno with the Lazy Shell strapped to his back
5) Geño
BONUS) Jeano

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I gotta bring out the list again, huh? It took a lot of thought, so I hope y'all appreciate it.

1) Geno
5) Geño
BONUS) Jeano
This list is perfect, the only thing I would add is Gee-know.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

1) Geno
5) Geño
BONUS) Jeano
Geño? Pronounced Genyo?.....freaking INGENIUS! This has to be the Spanish version of his name if it isn't already.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Guys, hear me out, what if Geno was featured on HQ Trivia during the VGA last year because Nintendo were gauging interest for the character to drop at THIS YEAR'S VGA?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

1) Geno
5) Geño
BONUS) Jeano
Don't forget about Jinno

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
My top 5 and instant main if any of them get in regardless of tier placement!
1) Geno (my ballot vote and most wanted 3rd party. Amazing moveset and legacy)
2) Isaac ( my most wanted 1st party and Golden Sun is among my favorite RPGS)
3) Shantae (Her moveset would be so fun and She is an indie with a long history with Nintendo!)
4) Rayman (One of my Childhood Icons so I would love to see him clash with the Nintendo Greats.)
5) Llyod Irving (Namco Bandai should get another rep and his moveset is already made for smash!)

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Edelgard, Bandana Dee.

Geno because I'm in the Geno thread,
Isaac and Waluigi to break the AT barrier and having been the AT reveals that people were the most disappointed with,
Edelgard because she's got an axe and I want to hold her hand,
Bandana Dee because I'm actually shocked he isn't already in the game and is a far more fleshed out generic enemy character than Piranha Plant.

I want Ashley and Black Knight playable, but I can't see either of those being especially compelling DLC choices that will drive up sales.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, hear me out, what if Geno was featured on HQ Trivia during the VGA last year because Nintendo were gauging interest for the character to drop at THIS YEAR'S VGA?
Regardless of how realistic this is, Nintendo now has me watching the VGA, an event that I've completely ignored since its inception. Thanks a lot, Nintendo...

1) Geno
5) Geño
BONUS) Jeano
I agree with your list but might I suggest sailor hat on top of top hat on top of his regular hat?

My list really kind of ends with Geno. I mean, I've wanted him in Smash longer than most other characters I kind of want have even existed... but if I could have it all my way, it's:

Geno
Masked Man
Felix (I really think Assist trophies kill the character, and Felix is kind of the real hero of Golden Sun anyway)
Earthworm Jim
Klonoa

D

Deleted member

I only want Geno, Shantae and Crash, so I have no idea who to pick for the other two.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
When it comes to a serious list, all I need is Geno. My top five for inclusion in Smash were Banjo-Kazooie, King K. Rool, Shadow, Ridley, and Geno. B-K, Rool, and Ridley all made it, Shadow is an AT, and apart from a spirit, Geno is still MIA. No Mii costume, no nothing beyond a PNG.

The fact that we haven't seen his costume yet, the one that got a freaking splash screen, along with the fact that he's only a spirit and not something as damning as an AT, makes me very interested, indeed. I really do think we're either getting a Sans-like costume for him or he's finally going to join the fray properly.

Firox

Smash Master
Felix (I really think Assist trophies kill the character, and Felix is kind of the real hero of Golden Sun anyway)
Agreed. I say we take your Felix and give him an Isaac skin a la Hero-style. Their powers are pretty much the same anyway.

D

Deleted member

Agreed. I say we take your Felix and give him an Isaac skin a la Hero-style. Their powers are pretty much the same anyway.
I think the trouble with putting Golden Sun boys in Smash is that there's gonna be someone out there that feels they weren't done justice due to how customizable the magic was in the game. But anything is more justice than Isaac using Move (and Catch, now...) in an assist trophy.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
How would you feel if this were all the dlc characters?

https://i.imgur.com/jY7OGxz.jpg
I've already gotten all of the characters I've really wanted (:ultroy::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:), so I wouldn't be upset at any of these guys whatsoever.
Doomguy and Geno are great.
Never played a Klonoa game, but I wouldn't even be mad if he got in.
Crash is a great pick as well.
Agent 8 as an original fighter just seems wrong, and I'm not sure if they could find enough alternate colors for their ink that wouldn't conflict with the Inkling's ink.
No hate towards Porkybros, but I think he'd be somewhat underwhelming. Same with Sylux.
Travis would be neat.
This is the only acceptable fighter pass 2. Don't @ me.

View attachment 238491
As noted above, Geno and Doomguy would be great.
Heavy would be sick, but if we were to get a Valve character I'd much prefer to get Chell. Being able to set portals and maybe even utilize the gels to mess with your opponents would be amazing, as would an Aperture Science stage with GLaDOS in the background making sarcastic quips about the fighters.
I know a lot of people want Phoenix Wright, and I've got nothing personal against the character himself, but I just don't think he has enough to work with to make a moveset. I know he's been in MvC3, but MvC can make a fighter out of anyone; Roll never fought in any of the games, but they came up with something regardless, and while Sakurai could just make something up as well, but 9 times out of 10 Sakurai and company tend to choose moves derived from what the character does. How often does Phoenix get physical in the court room?
Same goes for Monika, just not enough moveset potential with her. Plus, Sayori is best girl.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Oh, are we writing down our top 5 most wanted DLCs?
>Reimu
>Geno
>Dante
>Ryu
>idk... Monster Hunter?
There really aren't many characters left that I'm passionate about

Firox

Smash Master
I think the trouble with putting Golden Sun boys in Smash is that there's gonna be someone out there that feels they weren't done justice due to how customizable the magic was in the game. But anything is more justice than Isaac using Move (and Catch, now...) in an assist trophy.
Exactly. And I'm sorry, if I could ever use Judgement as a final smash and summon a magical nuclear blast, I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't worry too much about people crying over characters being "done justice". I personally thought that B-K and their stage was beautifully done and a fantastic homage to their source material, yet that didn't stop someone over in the Banjo-Kazooie Discussion boards from making a thread just to complain about why they didn't get the "same love" as Joker and Hero. You're ALWAYS going to have detractors.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Here's my my top 5 list without having more than one character from the same 3rd party company:
- Geno
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Lloyd Irving
- Isaac
- Bomberman

And without limiting myself with that rule:
- Geno
- Crono
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Lloyd Irving
- Sora

D

Deleted member

I came here to rain on your parade:

Every character that showed up in the infamous Grinch Leak had their game's trademark renewed (aside from Geno) recently. It means nothing aside from the fact Namco would rather Klonoa not drift into trademark limbo
I'm revisiting what I've said here because I didn't know that Bandai Namco filed a trademark for "Klonoa of the Wind Encore", I thought it was just a typical trademark update. As a franchise that has never really done well, I could see them pushing for some big advertising moves...

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
The only characters I want are Shantae, Geno, Tails, Quote/Curly and Tracer. If we get at most one of them I'll be satisfied. :') I've never really had that hype feeling of getting a fighter I wanted (besides Chrom, but he wasn't a character I super wanted), so if we got one of those I'd be really happy.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hold on a second, the klonoa thing was for a game title? Damn this might actually happen.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think the Link's Awakening remake's graphical artstyle would really fit with a SMRPG remake/sequel?

D

Deleted member

Anyone else think the Link's Awakening remake's graphical artstyle would really fit with a SMRPG remake/sequel?
They could remake Super Mario RPG as a mixed media project with toothpicks chewing gum and felt and I'd buy it.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I’m essentially a 5 Geno list as well. He’s the only character I’ve really had a strong hope for all these years. There are certainly characters I’ve rooted for, Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo among them. Both Simon and Joker quickly won me over too as they introduced me to their respective series.

Beyond Geno, though, there are a few overall trends I’d like to see:

1) With Terry added, I’d love to see a one or two more fighting game icons. Smash is the greatest crossover in gaming history, it might as well be the best fighting game crossover ever as well. Smash x Street Fighter x SNK x Tekken/Soul Calibur x Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. Ryu H. would even double as a Dead or Alive rep if he makes it in.

2) With Banjo added, I’m hopeful for a couple more Western characters. Since Smash is a celebration of gaming history, I think there is a place for characters like Doom Slayer/Master Chief, Crash, Lara Croft, Sarah Kerrigan/Thrall, Rayman, Vault Boy, etc.

3) I really like how Sakurai and the dev team are experimenting with new mechanics, even if Hero’s down B is a bit problematic atm. So, I’d like to see more characters that bring interesting move set potential: Geno with timed hits, Amaterasu with the celestial brush, Yoshimitsu with stance changing, Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton with puzzle solving, etc.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm revisiting what I've said here because I didn't know that Bandai Namco filed a trademark for "Klonoa of the Wind Encore", I thought it was just a typical trademark update. As a franchise that has never really done well, I could see them pushing for some big advertising moves...
Guess I forgot to mention that.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I¨m talking about licensing control. For example, everything that was introduced in Far From Home and Homecoming is owned by Sony and they can continue using them because they paid THE ENTIRE THING... if Disney started to pay for the movie's budget, they would start getting in Square Enix license territory. They can use Michael Keaton's Vulture and JAke Gylenhaals Mysterio as much as they want as long as they don¨t mention the Avengers because of this. If Disney had paid part of the budget, then it would mud the water and in how what lies where and all that jazz when it comes to stuff introduced there. The only thing that is introduced in an MCU movie that they can still use is Tom Holland because he is under a Sony contract due to it being their license. Marvel was only part of the process of picking the actor, not when it comes to paying him. Let¨s not also forget that they wanted to pay and get control over all the spinoffs (that weren¨t even planned to be apart of the MCU to begin with) which would make the water even muddier if they had allowed Disney the deal. That's extortion
The licensing bit is actually a fair point I hadn't considered, but it's still a rough one. Per your examples, Mysterio and Vulture are so entwined into MCU continuity that it'd be very difficult to use them outside of that context to begin with.

As for picking Holland... Marvel were the ones who conducted his screen tests. He was tested alongside Evans and RDJ specifically to see how he'd stack up against them. The casting choice of a younger Peter was a result of Feige's vision for the new Spidey franchise to be like the Harry Potter films, where you see the characters age up into adults and the audience can grow up with them.

And it's extremely difficult to argue that Sony would've always preferred Venom and their other spinoff projects remain apart from the MCU after the now infamous Feige/Pascal interview promoting Homecoming where Pascal deliberately tried to imply that Venom was part of the MCU (with Feige visibly cringing next to her, hesitant to call out her **** and embarass her publicly) before the notion was shut down shortly after.

And how would it have sounded if they said straight up that Bob Iger and Alan Horn didn¨t allow him? That would sound straight up unprofessional compared to the "he doesn¨t have time statement". It would make them look petty and childish
Not sure what's being argued here. Feige isn't working on the Spidey movies anymore cause Spidey's not in the MCU. That happened because Sony and Disney couldn't come to an agreement. Sony fabricated an angle about Feige not having enough time to work on Spidey, which is not true. It was meant to spare Sony backlash from backing out of the deal. Clear cut.

First off, critically panned? Spiderman 3 has 63% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not a critically panned movie. Movies like X-men Apocalypse or X-men Dark Pheonix is movies that are critically panned movies if we shall go with Marvel examples.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3
That's 63% in an age before the internet as we know it today, where the 20% and 30% freshness ratings we see are largely a result of group bashing and shared enjoyment over the failure of a disliked product. There wasn't a Twitter for people to quickly read early reviews/spoilers to shape their perceptions and sharpen their pitchforks. The point was that Spider-Man 3 was largely disliked and tanked the franchise, a result of Sony's meddling.

I still find Joker questionable. Atlus made it sound like Joker was all nothing but a Sakurai pick. The Persona series has a much bigger presence to the PlayStation. Joker was added, but yet no P5 or Royal on the Switch and have nothing but spin-offs. At least, Nintendo may of thought about Joker because how popular P5 is that Joker would attract new fans. Persona belongs to Megami Tensei which has a long history with Nintendo though. Any thoughts?
I don't know how many times stuff like this has to be brought up in this thread before people stop pushing the "Nintendo picks the DLC!" narrative.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Mario RPG’s world is so colorful, both literally and figuratively. I’ve been imagining it in a by hand stop motion style as well, think Laika Studios’ Coraline, Corpse Bride, Kubo, etc.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I kind of hope that the additional DLC is going to be full of third party characters. It's just more exciting to see who will be on board with Nintendo than to know that every character will come from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom