• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m guessing Brew wasn’t trolling; he said he was impersonated, and now IAmShifty is vouching for him, and Shifty has a good track record. Brew only knows about Ryu and that he heard Geno but isn’t sure; a troll got the FB link and decided to make a dumb 4chan post.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I’m guessing Brew wasn’t trolling; he said he was impersonated, and now IAmShifty is vouching for him, and Shifty has a good track record. Brew only knows about Ryu and that he heard Geno but isn’t sure; a troll got the FB link and decided to make a dumb 4chan post.
That sounds like the most logical thing but most of Smash speculation has been anything but logical.

Firox

Smash Master
Yes, Ryu possesses "Ninja Magic", otherwise known as Ninpo. The one being referred to is Art of the Fire Wheels.

In the NES Trilogy it looked like:

in the newer Ninja Gaidens it looks like:

Ryu H has a very diverse and incredible moveset, honestly.
I love how in modern times, the mythos of ninjutsu has evolved to the point that people just expect ninjas to have supernatural abilities like elemental projectiles or the power to literally dissolve into the shadows. Stuff like Naruto is awesome to watch, but takes it to an almost comedic level by having people rip souls out of other people's bodies, spitting fireballs the size of cars, forming water into dragons, punching hard enough to vaporize matter, resurrecting the dead, etc, etc. Then you have Ninja Assassin where 1 ninja can slaughter 20+ armed soldiers with nothing but a knife and chain. Badass? Heck yeah, but I bet if the real ninjas of old could see how we've conflated things nowadays, they'd probably laugh their heads off.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That's from the official image of the map, which I thought was a non-angled top down view.
1571162549108.png

You can see more of the left and bottom sides of the smokestacks than the right and top sides. It's angled. Were you directly overhead the "Smash logos" would just be crosses.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Weird how the Fighters Pass is ending with Hat Ken and Ninja Ryu. We're getting too many clones.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 242162
You can see more of the left and bottom sides of the smokestacks than the right and top sides. It's angled. Were you directly overhead the "Smash logos" would just be crosses.
I see what you mean. Staring at it a little further those walkways are pretty deep in the cooling tower, at first they appeared to be right on top. Both ways are hideously inaccurate to real cooling towers, but Fortnite is hideously inaccurate to compelling gameplay and that never stopped them.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I looked at the whole map, just not this section, and even though it appears to be a "straight down map," everything is angled. An easy indicator, asides from this power plant, are the mountains.

ZelDan

Smash Master
yeah, I wouldn't take "OMG this thing looks like the Smash symbol" that seriously. Hell, I took a picture of Tetris 99 when I found something that looks like the Smash symbol, Just look at the left circle on the crown:

So unless we're getting Tetris blocks as a DLC fighter, I think it's not worth taking that seriously.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I really think Ryu/Geno is super likely but I want an insider/leaker to just tell me it isn't just to spare me of any disappointment.

D

Deleted member

guys it's just 2 lines
Fake smash ball, Neku confirmed not making it in, rip.

yeah, I wouldn't take "OMG this thing looks like the Smash symbol" that seriously. Hell, I took a picture of Tetris 99 when I found something that looks like the Smash symbol, Just look at the left circle on the crown:

So unless we're getting Tetris blocks as a DLC fighter, I think it's not worth taking that seriously.
I knew Tetris was coming to Smash, I just knew it.

Ok, seriously, I get that the "Smash Cross" is impressively easy to make when you have a circle and some lines, but it was eerily coincidental that the Jonesy Fortnite "leak" happened the day before the new Fortnite map just happened to have Smash logos on top of what was one of the focal points of the Chapter 2 trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing that I've noticed regarding all of the franchises represented in the Fighter Pass gives one clear impression of what Sakurai was thinking of for the Fighter Pass and potentially the future DLC: all of them come from franchises with noteworthy legacy or history behind them. The reason why I never believe any leaks claiming Overwatch or Fortnite characters getting in is that they're Western IPs with less than 5 years of history behind them. If more Western IPs join Smash Ultimate, they'll be from franchises with history to justify their inclusion like Rayman, Shantae, Doomslayer, and Crash. Those characters have series/franchises with noteworthy legacy behind them all, and the same is true for the Japanese franchises/IPs featured and confirmed for the Fighter Pass.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
One thing that I've noticed regarding all of the franchises represented in the Fighter Pass gives one clear impression of what Sakurai was thinking of for the Fighter Pass and potentially the future DLC: all of them come from franchises with noteworthy legacy or history behind them. The reason why I never believe any leaks claiming Overwatch or Fortnite characters getting in is that they're Western IPs with less than 5 years of history behind them. If more Western IPs join Smash Ultimate, they'll be from franchises with history to justify their inclusion like Rayman, Shantae, Doomslayer, and Crash. Those characters have series/franchises with noteworthy legacy behind them all, and the same is true for the Japanese franchises/IPs featured and confirmed for the Fighter Pass.
Thats a really good point I haven’t thought of. All the western characters we currently have originated from a second party dev, though Banjo kinda breaks that rule now. Obviously that won’t be upheld with further characters, but I think it shows theyre pretty strict on western characters.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I was thinking of this today where almost the current DLC has been characters from the 80s and 90s. While Joker is 10s, his series is long established much earlier than that. Luminary may be the default, but he sure as hell didn't get in on his own merits; that comes from Erdrick (who really should have been the default).

Which is funny as the counter to K Rool being added was that 'we had enough 90s characters and only man children wrapped in nostaglia care about him' (which is odd as that hasn't been thrown towards Terry......nor should it as it is a garbage counter, but interesting how they are inconsistent in their whining).

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
If more Western IPs join Smash Ultimate, they'll be from franchises with history to justify their inclusion like Rayman, Shantae, Doomslayer, and Crash. Those characters have series/franchises with noteworthy legacy behind them all, and the same is true for the Japanese franchises/IPs featured and confirmed for the Fighter Pass.
I hate to be "that guy" because I'm a Shantae fan myself, but her series' legacy does not even remotely approach any of the other franchises represented in the fighter's pass-- or the ones you just listed for that matter. Fans in the Smash community have been positioning her as this huge sensation and "the original Nindie" but she's a lot more niche than people realize.

More to the point: while I strongly doubt the current rumors, Overwatch and especially Fortnite are huge, and they've made enough of a legacy in a short amount of time that they're totally "justified" IMO, even though I personally wouldn't want them.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, nothing from the past day was mentioned by gameexplain who usually make a video concerning Smash rumblings (which made their ignoring of the Grinch so much more suspect that people thought they were trying to bury it.)

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Fortnite was first announced as a Left 4 Dead style team vs zombies game in 2011, so...
I didn't know that, but I don't think existing conceptually is enough to matter for something like smash. I'm not too keen on anything overtly western anyway untill we get something that says otherwise. The level of buzz around banjo being in worldwide is a pretty big bar to clear.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
More to the point: while I strongly doubt the current rumors, Overwatch and especially Fortnite are huge, and they've made enough of a legacy in a short amount of time that they're totally "justified" IMO, even though I personally wouldn't want them.
I gotta disagree with you there, I wouldnt call a few years of popularity a legacy. While I dont have the data in front of me, I’d be willing to bet Overwatch’s playerbase has dropped significantly (not taking the Hong Kong controversy into account). I myself stopped played about year in, as well as most my friends. I dont know anyone who still plays Overwatch irl regularly anymore. I’ve moved back to TF2 and I think that playerbase has actually grown a bit recently. This is just circumstantial though.
I’m not sure if Fortnite will have the lasting appeal, but I’m sure the younger crowd will be hooked for awhile. Whether they come back to it when theyre older like we have with Minecraft remains to be seen.

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta disagree with you there, I wouldnt call a few years of popularity a legacy. While I dont have the data in front of me, I’d be willing to bet Overwatch’s playerbase has dropped significantly (not taking the Hong Kong controversy into account). I myself stopped played about year in, as well as most my friends. I dont know anyone who still plays Overwatch irl regularly anymore. I’ve moved back to TF2 and I think that playerbase has actually grown a bit recently. This is just circumstantial though.
I’m not sure if Fortnite will have the lasting appeal, but I’m sure the younger crowd will be hooked for awhile. Whether they come back to it when theyre older like we have with Minecraft remains to be seen.
To second your post, I was SUPER into Overwatch for the first two years of its release and I can testify that the playerbase has dropped significantly (by about 25-40% after the first year and 60-75% after the second). I, myself, finally had to drop out after my last regular teammate decided to move on. As for Fortnite though, they're still boasting over 250 million players as of March 2019 so they're definitely a noteworthy franchise, though I would argue that the player avatars of Fortnite lack the character (I'm not talking about the plethora of interchangeable skins) and potential movesets that the Overwatch characters would have. Bottomline: I honestly don't see either franchise getting into Smash but at least if Overwatch did, I'd probably buy it. Fortnite, on the other hand, would make me glad I buy DLC individually.

D

Deleted member

Safe to say that Blizzard did more to harm Overwatch over its run than Overwatch ever did, but we have to define "legacy" when we think in these terms. Sure, it's been two years, but Fortnite's legacy is already to have one of the highest payouts (if not the highest) in competitive gaming. It's one of the most played games in the world, likely owing to the fact that it can run on a toaster and has come to every major console as well as mobile, and despite not inventing the genre, has defined it.

I want to cut my hands off for typing praise for this game.

This kind of legacy, though, doesn't mean much as a video game. Your last statement about whether or not these kids are going to come back to it like Minecraft, though, the answer is probably no. Not because they won't want to, but because there's no way Fortnite or Overwatch can continue longer than the developer intends for them to. The games are a multiplayer service, and not really "games" by a standard definition. Until the last hard drive with Minecraft on it succumbs to bit rot, Minecraft will live. As it stands, you're breaking the law to have a private Overwatch match (since it requires a cracked copy of the game and everything), and I don't think hosting your own Fortnite server is possible, either.

That's one thing about Smash characters - they're all from games that are complete single player experiences, many of which never had a multiplayer to begin with, and the ones that do aren't pure multiplayer. Splatoon is the closest to multiplayer-focused game represented in Smash, and even then, the only paid DLC it's ever had is a single player campaign (which was received incredibly, might I add). I think it might be safe to say there will never be a character in Smash who will die when their last server goes offline.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I hate to be "that guy" because I'm a Shantae fan myself, but her series' legacy does not even remotely approach any of the other franchises represented in the fighter's pass-- or the ones you just listed for that matter. Fans in the Smash community have been positioning her as this huge sensation and "the original Nindie" but she's a lot more niche than people realize.

No, not really. They've still got a long way to go to have any kind of lasting legacy. Most of the franchises featured in Smash come from long running franchises with history behind them. Splatoon's the main exception of the rule because that's something Nintendo owns lock, stock, and barrel. Overwatch and Fortnite do not have that excuse.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don't doubt that OW's player base has shrunk, and our experiences are similar (dropped OW after a year or so, while TF2 remains an all-time favorite of mine). And you're right in saying there's no way of knowing how long Fortnite's appeal will last-- but it's obscenely popular now, and the uncertainty about where it's gonna be in 5 years or so doesn't have any bearing on whether or not I consider it worthy. A number of series represented in Smash already had short-lived popularity without ever becoming phenomena the way Fortnite or even Overwatch have (although this admittedly applies mainly to the first party franchises).

Both seem highly unlikely and I don't want either of them, I just felt they were being sold short.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Popularity is not the same thing as legacy. Overwatch and Fortnite had popularity, but they didn't have lasting impacts like games that came before it like Doom or even the original Team Fortress.

Firox

Smash Master
Popularity is not the same thing as legacy. Overwatch and Fortnite had popularity, but they didn't have lasting impacts like games that came before it like Doom or even the original Team Fortress.
To be fair, when you consider all the characters to ever make it into Smash, it seems that the legacy of a FRANCHISE is more important to Sakurai than the legacy of a single game, thus newer characters can be added from a legacy franchise. For example, Luminary was the default for Hero which is the latest iteration of the DQ series: Legacy franchise, newer character. Same goes for Joker, Corrin, Greninja, and others. In other words, Sakurai isn't averse to adding characters that are new and popular, but there does seem to be a common requisite for their home franchise to carry some kind of historical relevance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Splatoon the youngest franchise in Smash to have a playable character? And that debuted in 2015, so I guess it's really not all that old, though you could argue that the major advantage it had over other shooters was that it was first party.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
To be fair, when you consider all the characters to ever make it into Smash, it seems that the legacy of a FRANCHISE is more important to Sakurai than the legacy of a single game, thus newer characters can be added from a legacy franchise. For example, Luminary was the default for Hero which is the latest iteration of the DQ series: Legacy franchise, newer character. Same goes for Joker, Corrin, Greninja, and others. In other words, Sakurai isn't averse to adding characters that are new and popular, but there does seem to be a common requisite for their home franchise to carry some kind of historical relevance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Splatoon the youngest franchise in Smash to have a playable character? And that debuted in 2015, so I guess it's really not all that old, though you could argue that the major advantage it had over other shooters was that it was first party.
That's the point I'm making. Both Overwatch and Fortnite are a single game, not a franchise like Doom or even Team Fortress.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
No other comments about the Geno part, just that the aspect of Geno being part of the second DLC is not as confirmed/certain as Ryu being in the fighter's pass.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
No other comments about the Geno part, just that the aspect of Geno being part of the second DLC is not as confirmed/certain as Ryu being in the fighter's pass.
I suppose it's encouraging he's heard some Geno news even if he's not certain of it.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Ryu Hayabusa? From Ninja Gaiden, right? Interesting idea, and if Joker was any indication, they'll probably have a pretty neat moveset. Reveal trailer would probably include a joke with Ryu and Ryu Hayabusa squaring off.

Jonesy from F-... f-... Fortnite... I know Fortnite is currently a huge phenomenon with the kids, but call me un-creative because I can't envision a worthwhile moveset when it comes to characters with guns, guns, and more guns. :urg:

That sounded a bit pessimistic, I apologize to any Jonesy/Fortnite supporters, I'm sure ya'll have better inclusion ideas than I do!

As for Geno, he's already got a moveset right in front of him, all derived from Mario RPG! Geno Boost, Beam, Whirl, and Blast all being his specials, and Geno Flash for his final smash. It's just too perfect!

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Are 3 most likely options for character r5 are Ryu, Doomslayer, and Geno, I feel we should just ignore this obviously fake leak.
Yeah its pretty inconsequential I think (also I would count Lloyd in as likely as well, but I have my doubts on him being #5 specifically.)

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I’m kind of expecting character 5 to be another character like Terry that not many people have been talking about but makes a lot of sense in hindsight. I saw a few people hoping for Terry, but how many people actually thought he was likely? I can’t name a single time I saw someone say they expected him to be in. I wouldn’t be that shocked if the 5th character turns out to be someone like Amaterasu or something.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I’m kind of expecting character 5 to be another character like Terry that not many people have been talking about but makes a lot of sense in hindsight. I saw a few people hoping for Terry, but how many people actually thought he was likely? I can’t name a single time I saw someone say they expected him to be in. I wouldn’t be that shocked if the 5th character turns out to be someone like Amaterasu or something.
I really doubt it would be Capcom. They already got costumes with Banjo, so I assumes that rules them out for this pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom