• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Having looked back at SMRPG, I truly am saddened they all fall into the dead zone of characters. I can only imagine the limitless possibilities he could have into a game like smash, as well as any other Mario game for that matter. So many specials to choose from, as well as standard attacks that almost seem like a perfect match for Smash
Such great characters indeed.

Geno for Smash
Mallow for Smash
Booster for Smash
Jynx for Smash
Croco for Smash
Valentina and Dodo for Smash
Axem Rangers for Smash
Smithy for Smash
Yaridovich for Smash
Bowyer for Smash
Belome for Smash
Mack the Knife for Smash
Johnathan Johnny Jones for Smash
Frogfucius for Smash
Toadofsky for Smash
And Secret characters:
Exor for Smash
Culex for Smash
Aaaand Fawful. Cause Fawful. That's why.

Or Super Smash Bros. RPG made by the team that made mario RPG. I'm seriously good with either.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Such great characters indeed.

Geno for Smash
Mallow for Smash
Booster for Smash
Jynx for Smash
Croco for Smash
Valentina and Dodo for Smash
Axem Rangers for Smash
Smithy for Smash
Yaridovich for Smash
Bowyer for Smash
Belome for Smash
Mack the Knife for Smash
Johnathan Johnny Jones for Smash
Frogfucius for Smash
Toadofsky for Smash
And Secret characters:
Exor for Smash
Culex for Smash
Aaaand Fawful. Cause Fawful. That's why.

Or Super Smash Bros. RPG made by the team that made mario RPG. I'm seriously good with either.
You forgot Boshi (;

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't support geno but I'm posting this in honour of SMRPG. The release anniversary was yesterday so sorry for being late but I need to post this because my favourite RPG of all time wouldn't exist if it wasn't for SMRPG.

I love the paper mario series ESPECIALLY ttyd. Having a different artstyle and being so detailed was amazing. But this awesomeness is all thanks to SMRPG which was the foundation of the paper mario series. I liked smrpg, not as much as the paper mario games but it's still because of this game that not only I played my favourite rpg but ttyd was so good to me that I glitch hunted it for 6 months and it was a great experience.

Thanks to smrpg without this game, ttyd wouldn't exist so happy anniversary smrpg!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I haven't supported the Paper Mario games in a long time. I always thought Super Paper Mario was a step in the wrong direction and Sticker Star pretty much confirmed that it was. At least the Mario and Luigi RPGs have all been good (although Partners in Time is by far the weakest in the series in my opinion). At this point, I'd be okay with a Mario RPG remake. The DS remake of Chrono Trigger a few years back pretty much made an already amazing game borderline perfect with its new content and I think they could do the same with Mario RPG.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I haven't supported the Paper Mario games in a long time. I always thought Super Paper Mario was a step in the wrong direction and Sticker Star pretty much confirmed that it was. At least the Mario and Luigi RPGs have all been good (although Partners in Time is by far the weakest in the series in my opinion). At this point, I'd be okay with a Mario RPG remake. The DS remake of Chrono Trigger a few years back pretty much made an already amazing game borderline perfect with its new content and I think they could do the same with Mario RPG.
You can't deny that Super Paper Mario had one of the best (and darkest) stories in the series though. Poor poor Count Bleck. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The story and characters were good but the gameplay was incredibly underwhelming. Sticker Star then made it even worse to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if Paper Mario got shelved for a generation or two given how even a lot of the series' most dedicated fans panned it. I loved TTYD and I don't understand why they found it necessary to deviate so much from the formula of the first two games. Like the Mario and Luigi games, it should have evolved the basic gameplay, not entirely thrown it out.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
The story and characters were good but the gameplay was incredibly underwhelming. Sticker Star then made it even worse to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if Paper Mario got shelved for a generation or two given how even a lot of the series' most dedicated fans panned it. I loved TTYD and I don't understand why they found it necessary to deviate so much from the formula of the first two games. Like the Mario and Luigi games, it should have evolved the basic gameplay, not entirely thrown it out.
Agreed, although I blame that on Nintendo not knowing what customers want vs what customers say they want. They did what they thought was best for the series which meant doing the opposite of what people asked. Granted the customer can be stupid and lie about what they want, (see any FPS like CoD, B4, GoW, etc), it really was a bad call.

Should SMRPG & Paper Mario be held accountable for Nintendo's poor judgement towards great gaming? No. Should Nintendo be held accountable for making a bad move on these franchises? Not really but they were the ones who ultimately decided to go through with Sticker Star.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
SMRPG didn't go away as it did "evolve" into Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPGs. I consider both spiritual successors in their own way with the Mario and Luigi games being a lot closer to the original vision, especially with Yoko Shimomura still composing the music for the games and their wicked sense of humor. I don't know what exactly happened with Paper Mario. It's not like anyone asked for it to be made into a platformer and then an RPG with no partners and boss battles that last 20 days apiece. TTYD took everything that made the original Paper Mario good and made it better, like a sequel should. Super Paper Mario tried to reinvent the wheel and Sticker Star clumsily tried to go back to the original formula while embarrassing itself in the process.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
SMRPG didn't go away as it did "evolve" into Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPGs. I consider both spiritual successors in their own way with the Mario and Luigi games being a lot closer to the original vision, especially with Yoko Shimomura still composing the music for the games and their wicked sense of humor. I don't know what exactly happened with Paper Mario. It's not like anyone asked for it to be made into a platformer and then an RPG with no partners and boss battles that last 20 days apiece. TTYD took everything that made the original Paper Mario good and made it better, like a sequel should. Super Paper Mario tried to reinvent the wheel and Sticker Star clumsily tried to go back to the original formula while embarrassing itself in the process.
I'm staying optimistic on the next game in the series.

I will bring the same evidence i bring everytime I talk about the possibility of a fifth game on the WiiU it's there:

http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

This happened on September 30 2012 which means that we have a good chance to hear about it this E3. This game maybe a paper mario one since getting a game on the WiiU is likely anyway.

So now, let's see the progression of the series (note: this is the general opinion I hear but it's the most accurate i heard and it may differ from your own).

PM64: awesome game
TTYD: This is a masterpeice and it made the original better
SPM: It doesn't follow TTYD which is disappointing but it's not that bad either
Sticker Star: Really bad ESPECIALLY because of the removal of all the rpg elements that made the first 2 games awesome.

I can understand that they wanted to try something different for spm which didn't turn out to be bad but sticker star is where it begins to feel annoying.

However, I noticed one thing: the game was released a week before the wiiu was released. So, when the development started, the wiiu was not ready so, they choose the 3DS. Indeed, this means that they changed the experience to adopt this model like for example, segmenting the game in a world map instead of an overworld.)

For the story removal... I agree this one is weird they chose to not put a story because acording to club nintendo survey on spm, people didn't want that. If I look at the text of ttyd, I have to tell to myself that this method was unreliable but today, miiverse exists and I have the feeling that they put it to know what people want. Also, I would be pretty surprised that nintendo didn't acknowledged that they should do just like ttyd today.

All this to say that I beleive that if the next is on wiiu that we may see rpg elements back and of course i would be VERY happy about it. Also, I just imagine that if indeed a paper mario game is announced at E3, we may see a paper mario reveal for ssb4 (yeah he has "some" chance but I like daydreaming).

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
As much as I would like to see a true back to the roots RPG, I doubt its Paper Mario related. Seems like a franchise Nintendo likes to boast about which they've seriously been lacking lately. Whatever it is will gladly see some love at e3 but won't be too big of an announcement.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
As much as I would like to see a true back to the roots RPG, I doubt its Paper Mario related. Seems like a franchise Nintendo likes to boast about which they've seriously been lacking lately. Whatever it is will gladly see some love at e3 but won't be too big of an announcement.
Maybe they could cross them over and have the SMRPG characters show up in a Paper Mario game. Bring back the 3 person teams since Paper Mario was the actual successor to SMRPG (before legal disputes and the name change). Could be a good way to bring Paper Mario back to it's roots and bring the old SMRPG characters back into action.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Maybe they could cross them over and have the SMRPG characters show up in a Paper Mario game. Bring back the 3 person teams since Paper Mario was the actual successor to SMRPG (before legal disputes and the name change). Could be a good way to bring Paper Mario back to it's roots and bring the old SMRPG characters back into action.
Why go into Paper Mario? Mario and Luigi had the babies to make 4 party members in partners in time, gave the x and y buttons to bowser in inside story.

And Geno appeared in Superstar Saga.
B - Luigi
A - Mario
X - Mallow
Y - Geno

Turn Bros. Attacks to Team Attacks.

Usual shenanigans of that series.

Best game ever.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Even if they decided to do anything with SMRPG they have to get Enix approval don't they? -.-
Squaresoft and Enix are one company, hence, Square-Enix. They'd have to get their permission to do anything with Geno, to make him playable in Smash, make a game with him in it, anything, really, involving the character.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Squaresoft and Enix are one company, hence, Square-Enix. They'd have to get their permission to do anything with Geno, to make him playable in Smash, make a game with him in it, anything, really, involving the character.
I'm honestly willing to bet that Nintendo simply didn't go to Square to get the rights to use Geno in Brawl considering how easy it was for Alphadream to get permission to use him in a cameo. Of course, Alphadream is run by the director of Super Mario RPG and other Square devs who worked on the game that migrated away, so...

Keep in mind Nintendo didn't go to Capcom about using Megaman in Brawl too, so who knows what third-party shenanigans Nintendo's going to engage in in the future.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I wish Nintendo would buy the rights from Square for SMRPG and make us all happy clams. Culex would be the ultimate deal breaker but seeing as how he wasn't a formal FF villain, only his theme music would essentially be lost.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm honestly willing to bet that Nintendo simply didn't go to Square to get the rights to use Geno in Brawl considering how easy it was for Alphadream to get permission to use him in a cameo. Of course, Alphadream is run by the director of Super Mario RPG and other Square devs who worked on the game that migrated away, so...
Here's how I see it:

Alphadream got the rights to Geno easily 'cause it was just a cameo. He wasn't a center point in the game. Just a cute little nod to SMRPG fans.

I don't see Square-Enix going to Sakurai saying 'Hey, we're interested in having a third party in this game.' and, if they do, they're not going to say, 'We would love to lend Geno to you.'. They're going to say, 'We know how much you and Nintendo love shoving female protagonists down your fan's throats. We do, too! Therefore, we'd like to see Lightning in Smash.'.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Asking Square Enix for Geno's rights would be like asking Namco for Klonoa. Some fans want the character, but there's no going past the 'legendary third party' franchise (Final Fantasy and Pac-Man respectively) for a smaller old side character.

I hate to think it, but it's true. Third parties have been ruled to require legendary status for Smash.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
You can't deny that Super Paper Mario had one of the best (and darkest) stories in the series though. Poor poor Count Bleck. :(
SPM had a dark story? Really? Compared to the guy in SMRPG who wanted to make everyone eternal slaves or the entire backstory of TTYD?

I think people confuse "Dark" with "Sad"
Asking Square Enix for Geno's rights would be like asking Namco for Klonoa. Some fans want the character, but there's no going past the 'legendary third party' franchise (Final Fantasy and Pac-Man respectively) for a smaller old side character.

I hate to think it, but it's true. Third parties have been ruled to require legendary status for Smash.
Pretty much this; they have to at least be legendary for a certain point. The only way it'd really have a chance is if we got another Square character as well.

Xigger

Smash Lord
SPM had a dark story? Really? Compared to the guy in SMRPG who wanted to make everyone eternal slaves or the entire backstory of TTYD?

I think people confuse "Dark" with "Sad"

Pretty much this; they have to at least be legendary for a certain point. The only way it'd really have a chance is if we got another Square character as well.
Super Mario RPG's story may seem darker when you compare them, but Super Paper Mario used its themes to a fuller extent, had more of an effect on players.

If Sakurai considers Geno a first-party character, despite the third-party copyrights, then legendary status may not be needed. And seeing Super Mario RPG listed in Brawl's game encyclopedia tells me Sakurai at least considers the game to be first-party.

If the game is first-party, should the contents be treated as such? Or should it depend solely on who owns which copyright?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Super Mario RPG's story may seem darker when you compare them, but Super Paper Mario used its themes to a fuller extent, had more of an effect on players.
Most of the Mario RPG's had a darker story, but I can agree that SPM did at least do a decent attempt at functioning gameplay and story. Meanwhile, SMRPG was still a game good enough on it's own.

If Sakurai considers Geno a first-party character, despite the third-party copyrights, then legendary status may not be needed. And seeing Super Mario RPG listed in Brawl's game encyclopedia tells me Sakurai at least considers the game to be first-party.

If the game is first-party, should the contents be treated as such? Or should it depend solely on who owns which copyright?
I don't think it would. The game is still Nintendo's property, it's just that Square-Enix is a bit crazy as we can tell from PSABR. Square MIGHT be less strict, however, since Nintendo's done a lot of cross over games and localized many games in just the history of Square and Enix alone.

I just want to see something bigger for the Mario RPG series this time around. The fact it's getting snubbed possibly *again* just irritates me when it's had 9 games. We got what, one song in the game? Seriously?

Also Mario Party's getting snubbed as well, but no, before someone asks I don't want Daisy as a playable character.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just want to see something bigger for the Mario RPG series this time around. The fact it's getting snubbed possibly *again* just irritates me when it's had 9 games. We got what, one song in the game? Seriously?
I actually think that this is also a shame. Not only from a general view but why M&L got only one music while paper mario basically got just trophies and sticker? If M&L get more rep, then, there's no reason that paper mario wouldn't. I seriously wish that it would be properly reped this time.

Last edited:

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
Geno has been my most-wanted character for a long time, and seeing him in this game, in HD, would be huge for me.
I also think that some sort of FP (Flower Point/Mana) system would be a cool way to make him unique (Sakurai really seems to be going for that in his newcomers) and represent RPG Marios as a whole.
It could also help in balancing moves like Geno Beam, turning into something like Ivysaur's Solar Beam in PM that takes a while to charge (in this case, acquire enough FP, or something)

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
If the masses for his in lesion would have stayed the same as they did during Brawl, than we may have had a Sonic/Mega Man like moment where he gets put into the game because of the massive out cry for their inclusion. Since its bogged down, kind of makes it seem like it was a one time thing which isn't true at all.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I hope all the leaks are wrong. Why do they have to put stupid crap in the game like Wii Fit Trainer(freak'n casuals) I could care less about Chorus Men(rolls eyes) or yet another Fire Emblem character whom I'll never play as. I remember a time when Smash Bros. was all about Nintendo. I want Geno! SMRPG is THE GAME from my childhood.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Blame nintendo for not wanting to expand upon a great franchise. Don't know why Nintendo won't work with them for other games, like its poison or something.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Blame nintendo for not wanting to expand upon a great franchise. Don't know why Nintendo won't work with them for other games, like its poison or something.
I read an interview the other day where the director of SMRPG said that he had done all he wanted to with that universe. Really disheartening to read honestly.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I read an interview the other day where the director of SMRPG said that he had done all he wanted to with that universe. Really disheartening to read honestly.
People like that deserved to be punched in the face. You could do so much more as well as easily revisit the same ones to further your same ones. Sounds too much like Star Fox, taking great ideas and just half adding things cause they can.

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
Well, D1, who is a huge Geno supporter, is confirmed to be an announcer for the E3 invitational. Maybe this can mean something :o

Probably not much though :(

Top Bottom