• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
I've been supporting Geno since 06 (When Brawl was announced). Now I'm spending my time trying to rally the massive army {EDIT: of the brawl days} and drawing pics on Miiverse for our Higher Authority. Add me to the list.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I've been supporting Geno since 06 (When Brawl was announced). Now I'm spending my time trying to rally the massive army {EDIT: of the brawl days} and drawing pics on Miiverse for our Higher Authority. Add me to the list.
Are there many Geno fans left on Miiverse? Do any of them ever come here?

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly surprised Geno deosn't have more support than he does. I guess most people are just resigned to Square refusing to relinquish their cruel, iron grip on him.

Well, chalk me up as a supporter anyway. I'm nothing if not stupidly optimistic.

Staarih

Smash Master
Imagine if we'd see an enemy from SMRPG, outside of the generic and common Mario ones, in Smash Run or something! The expectations for Geno would explode.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm honestly surprised Geno deosn't have more support than he does. I guess most people are just resigned to Square refusing to relinquish their cruel, iron grip on him.

Well, chalk me up as a supporter anyway. I'm nothing if not stupidly optimistic.
There are quite a few people that like the character and would love him in Smash

but have given up all hope

Unlike Brawl, this generation of Smashers is all about Realism and facts than pure emotional passion

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yep me and my friend schemed it. I chose the 3 characters on it because they were my 3 most wanted.

But i've supported Geno longer than any of you have, just ask @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I'm sure he remembers
I do. I'm actually surprised that there's still a decent number of us here from the old days with some of us, like me and KC, going all the way back to the Nsider days.

There are quite a few people that like the character and would love him in Smash

Unlike Brawl, this generation of Smashers is all about Realism and facts than pure emotional passion
This. I want Geno but my days of banner waving are long gone. With Megaman and Little Mac already in, the only character I really care about seeing playable these days is Takamaru.

CF711

Smash Apprentice

I've seen this a lot more since I came here. It seems like everyone wants to look at what realistically could happen rather than what they want to happen.

On a side note, I'm finding people who played a lot of classic games don't know about Geno. I was talking with one of my friends the other day, a die-hard megaman fan, and he had never ever heard of SMRPG before. I am making him play it over the summer once classes end.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
It's not much more practical than hoping for him in Smash, but... including a Geno figure in Nintendo's upcoming NFC lineup would be pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure I would buy like five of them and display them all over the place, not to even mention whatever games would actually have NFC related content.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Time to stop waving banners, and start getting active: Gotta get a good standing in the video game world, offer big wad money cash, and start producing!
Telling @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice to "Start getting active" is actually really hilarious if you knew who he was

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I've seen this a lot more since I came here. It seems like everyone wants to look at what realistically could happen rather than what they want to happen.
Which to this day I still don't understand. It should ONLY be about what you want; it's a video game, not the stock market. We cannot base our desires and wishes on baseless speculation. I really don't understand why Geno fans would give up but Ridley and Banjo Kazooie fans still want and hope for their respective characters. It should never have been about whether our character of choice will actually make it in or not but how much we like them and their games. It should always have been about support and fan solidarity.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Telling @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice to "Start getting active" is actually really hilarious if you knew who he was
I remember something vaguely. It's been years. Can't say I really spend a lot of time getting to know people here, not since Nsider anyways. I only remember he was awesome or something along those lines. There's something about Geno supporters and being awesome.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
As much as I would love to see Banjo in this game, I haven't seen that many supporters still holding the banner like they did in brawl. Had the rights stayed with Nintendo, I can guarantee you both Banjo and Geno would have been included by now. (Banjo would easily have made 64, while Geno would possibly be Melee but easily in Brawl.) Same goes for other characters in their respective franchises like Mumbo or Jonathon Jones.

Which I find strange yet sad is that if I had to pick which third party characters who would belong in this series, it would be Sonic, Mega Man, Banjo, Bomberman and Geno. Anybody else would either seem way out of place (Snake or Pacman.)

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I support Geno and I want that epic Forest stage as his home. But I guess I just think it's so unlikely (like a second Sonic rep) that I don't ever bring it up.

At least Sakurai knows Geno is popular, so there's always a sliver of hope (that's why Mega Man got in). I hope to be completely floored at E3 when "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" plays in the trailer.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I can't even begin to describe the amount of hype for this game they would get if they were to start playing "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms." That song alone would get everybody screaming on par with the amount of excitement Mega Man got. Geno would be one of the very few people that could unite all of the people from Brawl era to return or come back from hiding. (Only other person I could think of is Ridley, his odds at being included are better but still against him.)

One man can dream, seeing Geno return to Nintendo in any shape or form playable would be amazing

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I wonder what it would take to rally everybody up again. I wish more news from Alphadream would come out; that seemed to galvanize everybody a little bit last year.

I saw threads where people were asking what happened to the Geno fanbase over at GameFAQs and they gave similar answers: "Reality checks", "They realized Geno was never gonna make it in", etc. I wonder why everyone thinks that just because Geno didn't make it into Brawl means he won't ever make it into any future games. Hmm.

Oh, that petition I made last year reached 100 signatures finally. I don't know if it's a good thing it made it or a bad thing it took this long... :(

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
As much as I would love to see Banjo in this game, I haven't seen that many supporters still holding the banner like they did in brawl. Had the rights stayed with Nintendo, I can guarantee you both Banjo and Geno would have been included by now. (Banjo would easily have made 64, while Geno would possibly be Melee but easily in Brawl.) Same goes for other characters in their respective franchises like Mumbo or Jonathon Jones.

Which I find strange yet sad is that if I had to pick which third party characters who would belong in this series, it would be Sonic, Mega Man, Banjo, Bomberman and Geno. Anybody else would either seem way out of place (Snake or Pacman.)
Not to go off topic but In my opinion Microsoft murdered the Banjo- Kazooie Franchise. Have you guys played Banjo- Kazooie Nuts and Bolts? OMFG its HORRIBLE Terrible game you can't even die! I did not like the route that Banjo- Kazooie took with Microsoft. If only they stood with Nintendo. Oh well.

On- Topic
I said it before and I'll say it again. Geno was in the TOP 5 most requested along with Ridley. That has to mean something to Sakurai. :) jjejejej :p Even if it was during Pre-Brawl times.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I've played B&K:N&B for maybe 10 minutes and quit. Yes, they ruined that franchise with that game alone. Then again, that new design was also truly horrible. Why they felt the need to change it, who knows.

I wonder what it would take to rally everybody up again. I wish more news from Alphadream would come out; that seemed to galvanize everybody a little bit last year.

I saw threads where people were asking what happened to the Geno fanbase over at GameFAQs and they gave similar answers: "Reality checks", "They realized Geno was never gonna make it in", etc. I wonder why everyone thinks that just because Geno didn't make it into Brawl means he won't ever make it into any future games. Hmm.

Oh, that petition I made last year reached 100 signatures finally. I don't know if it's a good thing it made it or a bad thing it took this long... :(
I'm sure if you would have asked the Geno fans back in the brawl days, you would have had that in a day. I blame Sakurai rather than the fans giving up when it comes to Geno. Adding Snake, Ridley as a boss, King K Rool saw nothing, land master hell/toon link, etc. Seems to me like they can do more than they let on, especially within 2 years development.

Don't think I would be the only person to say if be hurt if they wanted to take the next 5 years time to develop a successor to Smash with the prospects of locking multiple franchise representation, further expanding retro ones, as well as stages and costumes if they like to complain about time constraints so much.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Smash Bros. is supposed to be all about getting copyrights from several different companies... Heck, Smash has a Pong rip-off, and Tetris music. What makes Geno so unobtainable?!

On the other hand, we did see the name of the game "Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars" in Brawl, so that's a step. Almost had Beware the Forest Mushrooms as a song too.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Only thing I can figure is the music is easier to obtain the license of in this case (Tetris and BTFM) so they're not much of an issue. As for the pong knock off, its just that. Its almost like everybody has seen that type of game with a different form of name, I know I have. One of those older games, like Tetris, that game has been exploited to hell and back

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'll always be a huge Geno supporter, but I honestly think that Geno's inclusion will boil down to how much money Nintendo's willing to throw at Square-Enix. As we all know, Squenix isn't doin' so hot lately, so any chance they can wring money out of anyone for anything is a chance they'll not likely pass. I wouldn't be surprised if, even back in the Melee/Brawl days, Sakurai pursued Geno only to be prevented entry due to monetary barriers.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Don't know if it was true but I have heard they never did contact Square about using Geno during Brawl. Really hope its a false, otherwise seriously what the hell Sakurai

Staarih

Smash Master
As we all know, Squenix isn't doin' so hot lately, so any chance they can wring money out of anyone for anything is a chance they'll not likely pass.
The flip side of the coin is that yes, while getting as much money as possible is always the goal, it may also come up to the point of rather gaining something than nothing at all. So Square-Enix may not afford NOT to accept some kind of offer or agreement in the long run. At least that's how I'd see it, but surely I'm no expert in things like that haha. But I don't know if Square-Enix is having that much difficulties though.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Don't know if it was true but I have heard they never did contact Square about using Geno during Brawl. Really hope its a false, otherwise seriously what the hell Sakurai
How about this? Would Sakurai not pursue Geno, because the efforts he would have to go through are the same as a third party character, and Geno isn't 'legendary status' like Sonic or Megaman?

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
How about this? Would Sakurai not pursue Geno, because the efforts he would have to go through are the same as a third party character, and Geno isn't 'legendary status' like Sonic or Megaman?
Saying they had to go through hoops and whistles to get Sonic, Snake and Mega Man included is quite the stretch. I did see somewhere during brawl that capcom was never messaged about mega man and would love to do business. Seeing as how Sakurai "found the time" after listening to fans, the same could go for Geno. Granted the tide has gone down for his inclusion, hopefully he noticed it nonetheless

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think they're even aware of how popular Geno and Mallow really are. Remember that Alphadream interciew with Ign where the execs from Alphadream contemplated bringing them back for cameos? The thought hadn't even occurred to them until the reporter brought it up. They're not hearing us for some reason, and I don't think it's necessarily because they don't want to. I think it's because they're not in touch with their fanbase at all for whatever reason. Closing that gap is key here. There's got to be a way.

Xigger

Smash Lord
In that case, getting heard is definitely the way. And interviews aren't always gonna cut it... gotta have those connections.

Here's my proposal: Fatmanonice and I and whoever else in game development shall rise up the ladder, for this sole purpose.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Saying they had to go through hoops and whistles to get Sonic, Snake and Mega Man included is quite the stretch. I did see somewhere during brawl that capcom was never messaged about mega man and would love to do business. Seeing as how Sakurai "found the time" after listening to fans, the same could go for Geno. Granted the tide has gone down for his inclusion, hopefully he noticed it nonetheless
I'm hoping they heard people during the brawl days and pursued Geno much like they did with Mega.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
One can hope that brigade made an impact, on both sides of the pond as well. Seemed like a good chunk of their decisions seemed to be only Japan oriented from time to time prior to brawl

Still sucks seeing SMRPG sitting in video game purgatory. It deserves to to be revisited as well as have its chances to shine. Would love to see more characters from the background make more cameos like Jonathon Jones, Booster, Mallow etc.

Would anybody else be deeply saddened if Square wasn't even holding too high a price on this game for either using their characters or even outright buying them back?

Last edited:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
One can hope that brigade made an impact, on both sides of the pond as well. Seemed like a good chunk of their decisions seemed to be only Japan oriented from time to time prior to brawl

Still sucks seeing SMRPG sitting in video game purgatory. It deserves to to be revisited as well as have its chances to shine. Would love to see more characters from the background make more cameos like Jonathon Jones, Booster, Mallow etc.

Would anybody else be deeply saddened if Square wasn't even holding too high a price on this game for either using their characters or even outright buying them back?
I don't think Square cares that much about them since they haven't used them in a game since. All of it probably rides on Nintendo.

Hopefully with them making games together again (Bravely Default) that we could see some talk between the two about the characters or even another SMRPG game.

domriver

Smash Lord

Yes please. My money is ready. jejej Seriously am I the only one who thinks that if Nintendo did a full RE-VAMP on SMRPG new locations mores story etc etc all in HD that it would sell like hot cakes? I think so. :)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
SMRPG was such badass game. I played it like 10 times, it's really great. I would love for geno to get in.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Having looked back at SMRPG, I truly am saddened they all fall into the dead zone of characters. I can only imagine the limitless possibilities he could have into a game like smash, as well as any other Mario game for that matter. So many specials to choose from, as well as standard attacks that almost seem like a perfect match for Smash

Top Bottom