• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Just Google different forums and see what comes up. Still, word to the wise, petitions don't work and have never worked. Take a look at this page:

https://www.facebook.com/GetMeOffTheMoon

This has over 100,000 supporters and nothing has come of it, in fact, Capcom has personally turned down the group multiple times. Geno's a great character but it's better to just let sleeping dogs lie.

To be fair, the reason why I have the petition in the first place is because Change.org has a setup that lets you send signatures individually to your recipient in question. I tried to write a mailing script myself but couldn't find a host that let you use the mail() function without payment. :p The point of a petition is really to demonstrate support; like the Reggie Fils-Aime petition that successfully got a response from him. I'm sorry if I came across as trying to pressure you earlier; I assure you that wasn't my intention.

And, to everyone, we all feel that things are grim because Nintendo didn't put in any other third parties besides Sonic and Snake in Brawl. But, don't forget that Megaman made it on the roster despite the fact that MML3 was cancelled and it looked as though Capcom was gonna shelve the Megaman franchise for good. I think we Geno fans feel like the reason that he never made it into Brawl was because of a shortcoming on our part but it wasn't; it was really just the third-party situation.

No group of Geno fans ever thought to just campaign Square to let Nintendo use Geno for SSB. The only company Geno fans campaigned in the Brawl days was Nintendo who can't do anything without Square's permission. That's why it's crucial that we all pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and go ask Square instead. The Geno fans got very close in the Brawl days; the only thing standing in the way is Square. Y'all are giving up too soon. :p

After all, the worst that could happen is that Square says "no", and at that point we can all look and say that at least we tried our best. But we haven't tried everything yet, so hang in there peeps.

D

Deleted member

I figured I'd share this with the Geno fans.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/13/where-mario-luigi-dream-team-and-super-mario-rpg-collide

After Super Mario RPG, Mario’s role-playing adventures split down the middle. The Mario & Luigi series went in one direction, while the Paper Mario series took similar concepts in a different direction. We asked Ohtani if Nintendo would ever consider returning to the original source of inspiration, Super Mario RPG or revisit Geno and Mallow and some of the characters that were created for it.

At this point in our conversation, Maekawa jumped in. Below is a transcript of their conversation.

Akira Ohtani: I’ve only ever worked on the Mario & Luigi series, and I wasn’t involved with Super Mario RPG, so I’m not sure I’m even the correct person to answer that question.

Yoshihiko Maekawa: Well, what’s your perspective, as a producer, about going back to that world and using characters like Geno and Mallow?

AO: Honestly, I think making new games is always a bit more appealing from my perspective. It’s okay to reuse some settings, like the Beanbean Kingdom, but we definitely want to introduce new characters and new gameplay ideas whenever possible.

Then a funny thing happened at our interview: Ohtani turned the tables around and asked us a question. “You guys really seem to like Super Mario RPG,“ he inquired. We responded that it’s actually a huge topic of conversation with the IGN readers around the world. A lot of people love that world that was created so long ago, and they really want to see a return to it someday -- especially Geno and Mallow.
“Yeah, I really should admit that I do have to think a little bit harder about how to separate how I view older games from how I try to approach working on new games, “Ohtani explained. “Because I don’t want to end up in a situation where my mind is too clouded by nostalgia for old games, and I can’t focus on how to best explore new avenues and new ways of bringing fun and surprising experiences to people. But I recognize what you’re saying. I really should learn how to compartmentalize those two parts of my brain a little better, so I can at least go back and play some more interesting old games from time to time.”

“In this game, in Dream Team, we were able to bring back some characters from the first game in the Mario & Luigi series, that had appeared in the Beanbean Kingdom. These characters tend to be sort of minor characters that show up in less important areas, but they do have a few lines, and so you get to learn a little bit about what they’re up to now,” Maekawa elaborated.

I was wondering if that might be some way to approach using Geno and Mallow in a future game, so that we’d still be able to look for fun new ideas like Mr. Ohtani was talking about. We wouldn’t get bogged down, but we could still provide a view of these characters for fans who really want to see one.”
Seems the idea of a possible return of Geno and Mallow has been thought about, so that may be some good news for the future.

But what do I know? I'm just saying nothing of importance as usual. :rolleyes:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I figured I'd share this with the Geno fans.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/13/where-mario-luigi-dream-team-and-super-mario-rpg-collide

Seems the idea of a possible return of Geno and Mallow has been thought about, so that may be some good news for the future.

But what do I know? I'm just saying nothing of importance as usual. :rolleyes:

:O At least the possibility of a Mallow & Geno cameo is out there, that's a good sign.

Also a little bit more good news -- I emailed the guy who wrote that article on Kotaku who interviewed that Yoshihiko Maekawa guy (the director of SMRPG). I asked him if the director had said anything about putting Geno in Smash and if not, would he ask anyone from Square next time he got a chance. The article writer agreed to ask for us, but he doesn't believe they'll give a straight answer. But that's something. :3

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
:O At least the possibility of a Mallow & Geno cameo is out there, that's a good sign.

Also a little bit more good news -- I emailed the guy who wrote that article on Kotaku who interviewed that Yoshihiko Maekawa guy (the director of SMRPG). I asked him if the director had said anything about putting Geno in Smash and if not, would he ask anyone from Square next time he got a chance. The article writer agreed to ask for us, but he doesn't believe they'll give a straight answer. But that's something. :3

you'd have better luck asking for a cameo tbh as a spot in smash would be unlikely at this point (roster is decided )

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I read the article and I like the fact that they're considering putting them in a game in a way that isn't a random cameo and actually makes sense with the story. Mallow would be fairly easy but I think Geno would be significantly harder. Geno largely served his purpose in SMRPG and that's why he went back to Star Road at the end of the game which is why for him he'd pretty much have to go big or go home.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
what if... what if starlow is geno's sister?

That would be a nice twist

[
I read the article and I like the fact that they're considering putting them in a game in a way that isn't a random cameo and actually makes sense with the story. Mallow would be fairly easy but I think Geno would be significantly harder. Geno largely served his purpose in SMRPG and that's why he went back to Star Road at the end of the game which is why for him he'd pretty much have to go big or go home.
They stuck Geno in super star saga I think they can find a way to shove him in again :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Mega Man, Villager, and WII FIT TRAINER can get in. I believe Geno is in.
That logic is pretty flawed, as it could be used to validate any character. Those three have reasons for being included, and those reasons don't apply to Geno.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
That logic is pretty flawed, as it could be used to validate any character. Those three have reasons for being included, and those reasons don't apply to Geno.

Not necessarily; those three were either hotly demanded characters or a total WTF curveball. Geno could be considered either and not many other contenders fit into either of those categories, though there are some.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
But, like they said, it seems like that if they want to use them again, they want to do more than just a random cameo and actually have them be part of the plot.
Indeed.

Geno would be harder to impliment in that way, compared to Mallow, but I can easily see him getting in a spin-off if they wanted to use them again, most Mario spin-offs don't use logic when it comes to characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, Geno DID say he would return some day if the Mushroom Kingdom ever needed him

Then rose to heavens

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I'll add DarkKry4 to the supporter list. They are one of the most active members in this thread

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Crazy thought, but how would you guys feel about SMRPG Remastered? I honestly hope Ducktales Remastered starts a trend because it would be great to see older titles revived and with new content. Also, unrelated, but it doesn't need to be said that the internet would collectively cream its jeans if Square Enix announced a Chrono Trigger Remastered with cell shaded graphics.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Crazy thought, but how would you guys feel about SMRPG Remastered? I honestly hope Ducktales Remastered starts a trend because it would be great to see older titles revived and with new content. Also, unrelated, but it doesn't need to be said that the internet would collectively cream its jeans if Square Enix announced a Chrono Trigger Remastered with cell shaded graphics.

I think that it is a game that would not benefit much from a remastering. It looks pretty much exactly how I want it to. Though, reviving it with new content would be slick. Overall, the game's pretty perfect as it is... the biggest benefit in my eyes would be having it brought to a new generation of gamers.

I think Chrono Trigger would benefit more from it than SMRPG... I think a lot of older Square Enix games would benefit. Mostly FF6. I want an excuse to buy it again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like the idea of new content, even if it's just some extra secret bosses or a hard mode, or possibly some elements that would tie together SMRPG with the Mario and Luigi games. Also, lawdy, all the things they could do with potential music remixes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not having Peach in your party significantly raises the difficulty but not to the levels I want it at. Doing Mario, Geno, and Bowser gives you a party so powerful that you almost don't even need to heal for most fights because of how quickly they end. Mario, Mallow, and Geno is fairly balanced but you get kind of bored with seeing the three of them if you choose to go that route. This is also why I kind of wish SMRPG had one more playable character and that Mario could be switched out after a certain point of the game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My SMRPG team was Mario, Geno and Peach.

I never found Mallow to be of much use during the later parts of the game, really.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Aside from Barrel Volcano, Mallow was pretty expendable after the Bundt and Razzberry fight, in my opinion. If I were to remake the game, I'd definitely add a new character in Monstro Town as a party member to help break up some of the monotony of using the same characters over and over.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Aside from Barrel Volcano, Mallow was pretty expendable after the Bundt and Razzberry fight, in my opinion. If I were to remake the game, I'd definitely add a new character in Monstro Town as a party member to help break up some of the monotony of using the same characters over and over.

Good call.
Maybe you could meet up with Croco again and get a rogue/thiefy character?

I mean... he's a purple crocodile with a red top hat. Why wouldn't you want him in your team?!

D

Deleted member

Yoshi as a new character, maybe? It seemed strange that he didn't join Mario and instead was only a summon.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Good call.
Maybe you could meet up with Croco again and get a rogue/thiefy character?

I mean... he's a purple crocodile with a red top hat. Why wouldn't you want him in your team?!
The first time I played the game, I was honestly surprised he wasn't a playable character. I always liked the idea of another girl character, like a rejected member of the Smithy Gang (or, even better, the Axem Rangers) that has a personality similar to Vivian in TTYD. I imagine that she would be like "Snift 4" and would fail miserably trying to fight you multiple times before giving a tearful speech about what a failure she is and then being encouraged by *insert other playable character here* and then joining your party.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The first time I played the game, I was honestly surprised he wasn't a playable character. I always liked the idea of another girl character, like a rejected member of the Smithy Gang (or, even better, the Axem Rangers) that has a personality similar to Vivian in TTYD. I imagine that she would be like "Snift 4" and would fail miserably trying to fight you multiple times before giving a tearful speech about what a failure she is and then being encouraged by *insert other playable character here* and then joining your party.

You know who combines all the qualities of Vivian and a Snifit?
... Birdo. :awesome:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Birdo's kind of a character I wish Nintendo developed more. She's pretty funny in Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga and the awkwardness of addressing her gender was downright hilarious in Captain Rainbow. Her and Waluigi are two mainstay Mario characters that I believe deserve a lot more attention in the story driven games.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was kind of hoping Toad would show up later with his rocket launcher and be like, ok guys I'm ready for some action

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Toad was a complete and total smart ass in SMRPG and I loved it. The fact that he was pretty much turned into a whiny coward in just about every other major Mario game afterwards was a real shame.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I would love if SMRPG got a remake, with new graphics and updated sound effects, and a remastered soundtrack. I like the sound of more content too.

Oh, and Toad in his early years was tough, and now he's a wuss. Similar thing happened to Luigi, but at least he's starting to draw away from his cowardly self. Not to mention he seemed to be much more of a wuss in Bowser's Inside Story than in Superstar Saga.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
"Then Fatmanonice remembers this is the Mario franchise, and even with the RPG's, the plot hasn't been the best lately, so they can shove him anywhere from a Paper Mario partner to being in Mario Party for both characters"

Also Mallow was kinda like Geno as well - Only there for that adventure.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would like seeing more races and characters in the Mario universe.

Mallow's cloud race, geno as a character from Star Road, etc. would be nice touches to future games

Top Bottom