• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do have a question, are we 100% sure that Geno and Mallow are Square's property? I mean King K Rool and the Kremlings are owned by Nintendo and they were created by Rare.

Also I would love to see Geno just appear in a normal Mario game even if it is a sports rip-off before he appears in Smash.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I do have a question, are we 100% sure that Geno and Mallow are Square's property? I mean King K Rool and the Kremlings are owned by Nintendo and they were created by Rare.

Also I would love to see Geno just appear in a normal Mario game even if it is a sports rip-off before he appears in Smash.
Yes, Square does in fact own the rights to him and Mallow.

IIRC the reason that Geno was allowed to be used in M&L:SS was because some of the people who helped make SMRPG moved to Alphadream, the company that makes M&L games, and they had strings they could pull. If some of the people who made SMRPG still work in Square today, they'd be ideal candidates to beg/whine/cry to.

If anybody'd like a Geno 4 Smash homework assignment, digging up info on the directors of Square would be a great help. :p I found the LinkedIn account of one I believe is one, named Phil something-or-other, I'll have to dig it up again...

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
How much would we need for the hosting costs that allow SMTP?
I found one host, 000webhost, that has hosting for like $5 a month. $4.84 to be exact. I'm checking them to see if they can use the PHP mail function with a free account, if they can then we're all-set.

EDIT: Yes, it does, so we're good for now. Though we probably should raise up like $10 for a domain, you can get good deals with Namecheap. They even take Bitcoins if you're into that sort of thing. :)

Sinn

Smash Lord
I found one host, 000webhost, that has hosting for like $5 a month. $4.84 to be exact. I'm checking them to see if they can use the PHP mail function with a free account, if they can then we're all-set.

EDIT: Yes, it does, so we're good for now. Though we probably should raise up like $10 for a domain, you can get good deals with Namecheap. They even take Bitcoins if you're into that sort of thing. :)
How shall I direct my funds?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
How shall I direct my funds?
That's something WE all should be running together, I think. And something we really should be doing if we plan on doing the kind of stuff that Mass Effect fans would do (make collab posters and ship them to Bioware, in our case Square) anyway.

Perhaps some kind of separate Geno 4 Smash account somewhere would work. I have no idea how to create a separate Paypal account for that kind of thing. Do you need ID for that? Will we have to designate someone to run the separate account? There should be a Bitcoin wallet set up for it too (it'll be a lot easier to do this too but we NEED a Paypal).

Anybody here know about that sort of thing or could whip something together? It has to be someone who won't run off with the cash and I don't want to be shouldered with that kind of responsibility.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd be happy to work on this project. We could make a Geno Go Home YouTube channel and post the username and password here for people to make videos and stuff. I'm an artist and I'll gladly donate some sketches for a Geno collab poster. I'm looking for the whole SMRPG rights, though, not just Geno. I'm talking Booster, Bowyer, Smithy, Mallow, Axem Rangers and so on. There's Kickstarter, we could host a Smash tournament, so forth to raise money. If anybody lives in the Appleton, Wisconsin area, I have contacts there.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'd be happy to work on this project. We could make a Geno Go Home YouTube channel and post the username and password here for people to make videos and stuff. I'm an artist and I'll gladly donate some sketches for a Geno collab poster. I'm looking for the whole SMRPG rights, though, not just Geno. I'm talking Booster, Bowyer, Smithy, Mallow, Axem Rangers and so on. There's Kickstarter, we could host a Smash tournament, so forth to raise money. If anybody lives in the Appleton, Wisconsin area, I have contacts there.
I guess this would be an idea for whenever we make a big-ass collab thing to be shipped off to Square, but some fundraising drive that would allow us to collect the money we need and send the difference to some charity like Child's Play or something wouldn't be a bad idea.

We should rally the other SMRPG fans too. :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I guess this would be an idea for whenever we make a big-*** collab thing to be shipped off to Square, but some fundraising drive that would allow us to collect the money we need and send the difference to some charity like Child's Play or something wouldn't be a bad idea.

We should rally the other SMRPG fans too. :p

I've been thinking about it and I think that once I finally get a GameCube Memory Card, I'll unlock all the characters in Melee, get some sponsors and open up a tournament. I'd have two tournaments going on (Melee and Brawl) with some assistance and then the 1st and 2nd place winners of each tournament face off in some wacky weird way that would be unexpected (I'm thinking Mario Kart Wii or Mario Strikers Charged) and then the 1st and 2nd place winners of THAT would go face-to-face in a Brawl fight, random stage, items on, any character. Whoever wins THAT gets the first place prize.

Anybody got ideas? Or wanna come down to Appleton and help me? Oh wait, I'm 14. I have no experience in marketing whatsoever. Poop.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about it and I think that once I finally get a GameCube Memory Card, I'll unlock all the characters in Melee, get some sponsors and open up a tournament. I'd have two tournaments going on (Melee and Brawl) with some assistance and then the 1st and 2nd place winners of each tournament face off in some wacky weird way that would be unexpected (I'm thinking Mario Kart Wii or Mario Strikers Charged) and then the 1st and 2nd place winners of THAT would go face-to-face in a Brawl fight, random stage, items on, any character. Whoever wins THAT gets the first place prize.

Anybody got ideas? Or wanna come down to Appleton and help me? Oh wait, I'm 14. I have no experience in marketing whatsoever. Poop.
It's OK, I really don't think we have to plan for or worry about doing stuff like that just yet. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Here's something I threw together real quick basing the idea that Geno's B Neutral is Geno Beam

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I've been thinking lately, and it's come up in my mind it's completely possible Geno's been added to SSB4. Remember all that hype for SSBB? Remember the entires from Sakurai's poll? There were only two third-parties on the list- Mega Man and Geno. I honestly think that the roster DOES include Geno, and I'd actually hope for 5 third-parties (Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Solid Snake, Geno and Pac-Man) but I think Geno's really gonna be in there.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I loved SMRPG, it was fun as hell. Still doubt geno
agreed.

Hes been playable in like one game and a cameo in another and i don't think thats gonna cut it. Theres not much reason to add him. Fan requested third party characters still have to have some good gaming history behind them and be somewhat known and relevant. Geno does not have that but characters like Megaman and Sonic do have that.

Geno in Smash will always be wishful thinking.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I like the idea of Geno being in Smash. A lot. But I don't think he has much of a chance. Did I say that already? I forget.

Though in the event he does make it in, everyone who keeps spouting "geno is lame he'll never get in" will probably rage for days.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The fact he had such immense popularity during the Brawl days and that Sakurai does know of his existence at least says something towards chances.

If he got in I'm sure he'd be an even bigger deal breaker in terms of who can get into the roster than Wii Fit Trainer.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At least Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship is almost back to being as good of terms as it was in the SNES days as opposed to outright giving the finger to each other like they did during the N64 and Gamecube eras.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, if this was pre-Brawl this thread would of already gotten at least 3,000 posts by now.

If that doesn't say something about how the popularity of this character collapsed, I don't know what will.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I really doubt it.

My opinion of Geno still remains "He'd be cool if he gets in", but if he doesn't I won't bat an eye.
For me, it would be vastly more hype than Megaman's reveal (but I honestly don't care about Megaman). However, I'm pretty much on the same page. If he gets in, it would be absolutely incredible. However, there is quite literally no reason for Square to let Nintendo use Geno, and if they make it difficult at all, I doubt Sakurai would consider it worthwhile to pursue.

As far as the Geno haters go, I've found that most of them are just militant Waluigi fanboys. They feel threatened by Geno, so they tell themselves that their monstrously unlikely character is somehow more rational than ours.

Edit: @Habanero, I think that the Brawl roster was so crushingly disappointing to the Geno fanbase, that morale has essentially been shattered. I don't think that he's necessarily less popular. I think that people have just lost hope entirely and don't want to waste their time supporting a character they think has 0 chance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As far as the Geno haters go, I've found that most of them are just militant Waluigi fanboys. They feel threatened by Geno, so they tell themselves that their monstrously unlikely character is somehow more rational than ours.
Well,to be fair, Waluigi is unlikely but still likelier than Geno I believe.

But lol, I didn't know Waluigi fanboys have a hatred of Geno. :laugh:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Edit: @Habanero, I think that the Brawl roster was so crushingly disappointing to the Geno fanbase, that morale has essentially been shattered. I don't think that he's necessarily less popular. I think that people have just lost hope entirely and don't want to waste their time supporting a character they think has 0 chance.

Pretty much this, from what I can recall of that era. A lot of Geno fans were hotly anticipating one last third party slot after Sonic and Snake only to be, shall we say...

R.O.B.ed

:rob:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, if this was pre-Brawl this thread would of already gotten at least 3,000 posts by now.

If that doesn't say something about how the popularity of this character collapsed, I don't know what will.
Eh, going back and looking at the size of the character support threads I would say that a lot of threads are shrimpy compared to the preBrawl threads. Aside from Ridley, K. Rool, Newtwo, and (the now confirmed) Megaman, very few of the newcomers have a strong presence here. This is probably because a lot of Brawl's newcomers like King Dedede, Diddy, and (good god) Sonic were such megatons fanbase wise as well as the fact that SSB4's undoubtedly will stray much further in obscure to casual Nintendo fans territory than past games have.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
agreed.

Hes been playable in like one game and a cameo in another and i don't think thats gonna cut it. Theres not much reason to add him. Fan requested third party characters still have to have some good gaming history behind them and be somewhat known and relevant. Geno does not have that but characters like Megaman and Sonic do have that.

I'm starting to hate the "relevant" argument. It's so subjective and biased toward recent characters. I fear if Smash's roster starts to preferentially select newer characters over retro ones, it'll turn Smash into a glorified marketing tool as opposed to a monument of Nintendo's history like it's supposed to be.

A character need not have been in recent games to be "relevant", but that's assuming "relevant" means having played some role in Nintendo's history. Super Mario RPG DID play a role in said history, for better or worse, and Geno represents that. Geno's a retro character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Eh, going back and looking at the size of the character support threads I would say that a lot of threads are shrimpy compared to the preBrawl threads. Aside from Ridley, K. Rool, Newtwo, and (the now confirmed) Megaman, very few of the newcomers have a strong presence here. This is probably because a lot of Brawl's newcomers like King Dedede, Diddy, and (good god) Sonic were such megatons fanbase wise as well as the fact that SSB4's undoubtedly will stray much further in obscure to casual Nintendo fans territory than past games have.

This.

Exactly this.

Save a few heavy hitters in the Nintendo land that are noticeably absent the more the series goes along? The more we're going to dip into the obscure side of Nintendo.

Sure Nintendo will have new IPs by that time and they'll be new megastars as well, but a lot of the heavy hitters are already in game thanks to Melee and Brawl or most likely obvious choices for the SSB4 roster.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This.

Exactly this.

Save a few heavy hitters in the Nintendo land that are noticeably absent the more the series goes along? The more we're going to dip into the obscure side of Nintendo.

Sure Nintendo will have new IPs by that time and they'll be new megastars as well, but a lot of the heavy hitters are already in game thanks to Melee and Brawl or most likely obvious choices for the SSB4 roster.
Which is far and away the case especially when you look at the characters that casual players are harking for. There's very few leaders that run away with support in that camp and the only ones that come to mind that more seasoned players largely agree with are Mewtwo and Little Mac. Characters like Ridley, Isaac, and K. Rool are not even on a majority of casual players radars while characters like Krystal, Waluigi, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr are considered to be highly controversial. As someone who's been playing Nintendo games for over 20 years, I'm fully aware of the many different characters and franchises that seem plausible to add in Smash Bros but even a lot of gaming journalism sites seem to express the idea that Brawl tapped most of the major character ideas and they argue that it will be a struggle to come up with a decent cast this time around. We know that's bogus but I feel that's the way a lot of casual players think of it which is why I'd argue most casual support seems to be behind third party characters this time around as opposed to first and second parties.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Which is far and away the case especially when you look at the characters that casual players are harking for. There's very few leaders that run away with support in that camp and the only ones that come to mind that more seasoned players largely agree with are Mewtwo and Little Mac. Characters like Ridley, Isaac, and K. Rool are not even on a majority of casual players radars while characters like Krystal, Waluigi, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr are considered to be highly controversial. As someone who's been playing Nintendo games for over 20 years, I'm fully aware of the many different characters and franchises that seem plausible to add in Smash Bros but even a lot of gaming journalism sites seem to express the idea that Brawl tapped most of the major character ideas and they argue that it will be a struggle to come up with a decent cast this time around. We know that's bogus but I feel that's the way a lot of casual players think of it which is why I'd argue most casual support seems to be behind third party characters this time around as opposed to first and second parties.
Really there are several third party characters that are considered to be either Nintendo icons that *need* to be in the game (Megaman, Simon Belmont) or are otherwise important parts of Nintendo in some way that people feel need to be added in keeping with the spirit of the game, so it's not surprising casual players would be behind third parties.

D

Deleted member

Disliking Geno and liking Waluigi are not mutually exclusive.

I started off equally indifferent to both, and started to dislike Geno long before I started to seriously support Waluigi.
So no, the reason I don't like Geno has nothing to do with him being a "threat" to Waluigi (which is a laughable notion in itself; Waluigi may be on a lower end of the spectrum, but Geno's even lower to the point he is hardly a threat to even someone like Midbus).

The reason I don't like Geno is because of people constantly hyping him up to be some super great badass that is the best thing since sliced bread and putting him on a much higher pedestal than most other Mario characters. And the reality of it is, he's only mediocre at best.
In other words, he's overrated beyond all belief, and has to be the most notable example of such a character that managed to have a large (albeit bandwagoned) following for Smash.

Granted, I'm more neutral with his inclusion now, but that's only because if (and that's a pretty big if) he's included, at least the bandwagoners are content and it would be undeniable proof Sakurai does listen to fans, even if what they say goes out of the realm of logic and reason.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've always liked geno's design, but I don't think he will get in this game. maybe next game, though. support will probably skyrocket for the next game.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
agreed.

So...Ness? He appeared in a single game, which was largely obscure and only had a "strong cult" following(much akin to SMRPG). And yet he made the cut in the original roster, which was the smallest and therefore by definition the hardest to get into.

It was only since his inclusion into the Smash series that most people had ever heard of him.

The fact that Geno may technically be a third party changes this very minorly. He was made in a contract on a Nintendo game for a Nintendo console in a Nintendo world standing next to Nintendo's icon, Mario. Nintendo will weigh him the same as any other 'Nintendo' character.

He's really not as hard a sell as most people think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Although I still doubt this chances, I feel that Geno would be significantly easier to get than other third party characters. Sakurai said that one of the biggest challenges of implementing third party characters was compromising between his own vision and working with the vision of the people who originally created them. I don't think Geno would have that problem simply because he's been sitting in a dusty filing cabinet for 17 years so I don't think Square Enix would be as hard nosed as Capcom would be with Megaman about making sure it he represents not only the franchise but the company well too. That being said, Geno would offer Sakurai a ton of artistic freedom opposed to a vast majority of third party characters so, like last time, it would be more of an issue of if Sakurai even bothers to contact them than reaching a conceptual agreement.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Although I still doubt this chances, I feel that Geno would be significantly easier to get than other third party characters. Sakurai said that one of the biggest challenges of implementing third party characters was compromising between his own vision and working with the vision of the people who originally created them. I don't think Geno would have that problem simply because he's been sitting in a dusty filing cabinet for 17 years so I don't think Square Enix would be as hard nosed as Capcom would be with Megaman about making sure it he represents not only the franchise but the company well too. That being said, Geno would offer Sakurai a ton of artistic freedom opposed to a vast majority of third party characters so, like last time, it would be more of an issue of if Sakurai even bothers to contact them than reaching a conceptual agreement.
I see no problem with Square Characters in Mario Sports games, and the fact they have a game crossover called Fortune Street.

D

Deleted member

Hypothetically, since Geno is so controversial with the whole Square-Enix deal and the fact he's hardly an "actual" Mario character, perhaps Sakurai could treat him as a Retro "Super Mario RPG" character to compensate. :troll:

D

Deleted member

You seriously have to ask how a Square owned single use 3rd party spin-off character isn't an "actual" Mario character?

Top Bottom