• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
They might make an exception though because of him being a Mario character too. The problem everyone has is that we don't know what to lable him. Is he 3rd party or 1st? He's both. Sakurai said one of his main problem with adding 3rd parties was being careful that the fit in being from outside the nintendo worlds but that's no the case with Geno as he's from the Mario universe.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
That is very true! Pokemon characters are owned by Game Freak (I think?) so if they can be in, then there is a high chance that Geno could be included too! He was first in a Mario game and made a cameo in Superstar Saga so he's only been in Mario games.

Wow, Geno could actually be in the next Smash :D

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That is very true! Pokemon characters are owned by Game Freak (I think?) so if they can be in, then there is a high chance that Geno could be included too! He was first in a Mario game and made a cameo in Superstar Saga so he's only been in Mario games.

Wow, Geno could actually be in the next Smash :D
Pokemon is owned by The Pokémon Company, which is owned by Nintendo. Squeenix is a fully independent 3rd party developer, which is a completely different thing. So no, that argument doesn't hold water.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Yes of course, Pokemon Company is a 2nd party company unlike Square-Enix. So no matter what, Geno is a 3rd party character. So much for that.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He's a 3rd party character from a 1st party game which is why it's hard to place his chances.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It is hard to see were Geno stands right now :/ but my hopes are still up.
If he didn't get in for Brawl (which wasn't that likely anyway), he most likely stands an even worse chance now. His popularity, while still noticeable, has decreased from what is was during pre-Brawl, and with Sakurai stating that he won't be increasing the roster as much as previous games did, as well as wanting to limit the amount of 3rd parties included, plus Namco and Capcom being more likely for reps makes Geno quite an unlikely option. Especially since Geno would probably require quite a bit of licensing for a character that isn't widely well-known or overly popular among the majority. With his decrease in popularity since Brawl, it's even more unlikely Sakurai will pursue his addition. Not that he was that likely for Brawl anyway. :rolleyes:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he didn't get in for Brawl (which wasn't that likely anyway), he most likely stands an even worse chance now. His popularity, while still noticeable, has decreased from what is was during pre-Brawl, and with Sakurai stating that he won't be increasing the roster as much as previous games did, as well as wanting to limit the amount of 3rd parties included, plus Namco and Capcom being more likely for reps makes Geno quite an unlikely option. Especially since Geno would probably require quite a bit of licensing for a character that isn't widely well-known or overly popular among the majority. With his decrease in popularity since Brawl, it's even more unlikely Sakurai will pursue his addition. Not that he was that likely for Brawl anyway. :rolleyes:
I disagree. By the time Geno hit his stride, Brawl pretty much had it's roster compete.

If anything, Sakurai would have looked at what was popular during Brawl's production as inspiration for the next game

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Not to mention the whole 3rd party limitation deal. Only 2 got in last time. A lot of good 3rd party's with high popularity wouldn't have had great chances with those odds.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
He's kind of a retro character to if you think about it ( i am aware of him in superstar saga according to like my first post on here :p but nearly nobody ether had the time to gide Peach through the giant sand bowl or who got ther knew who geno was so shhh...)

bagoly14

Smash Rookie
If I remember correctly, wasn't Geno top 3 in a brawl poll Sakurai held?

I'm pretty sure he was up there with King Dedede etc...

I think Geno's chances of getting into SSB 4 is even more likely then Brawl. The fact that 3rd party characters finally got in and got much love in Brawl will only make SE more likely to be willing to forward Geno for the job - not to mention the time that has gone by, SE seem to be on good terms with Nintendo atm. Also Sakurai seems to be a creative guy, I don't see him making boring characters - he knows who plays SSB, people who are 16-25 for the most part, and a lot of people in that age category are familiar with SMRPG.

Mallow assist trophy, forest maze music, maybe even a boss from smrpg in adventure mode...ok maybe that's asking too much - I'd take just Geno and make him higher tier, not a terrible character...like jigglypuff lol (can't believe that IT IS STILL IN SSB)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Do you really want to talk about Jigglypuff's chances!? He was boss in melee, probably a drunk guy put him in brawl, and he wasn't too good in SSB either. He's due another run of awesomeness in SSB4 and he deserves to get it. Besides, saying that Jigglypuff should be cut is like saying that Luigi should be cut, a co-rep of one of the most popular video game franchises in the world that was in SSB.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
Do you really want to talk about Jigglypuff's chances!? He was boss in melee, probably a drunk guy put him in brawl, and he wasn't too good in SSB either. He's due another run of awesomeness in SSB4 and he deserves to get it. Besides, saying that Jigglypuff should be cut is like saying that Luigi should be cut, a co-rep of one of the most popular video game franchises in the world that was in SSB.
Jiggly was in SSB64 and I think all the one form that one are here to stay.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Mallow assist trophy, forest maze music, maybe even a boss from smrpg in adventure mode...ok maybe that's asking too much - I'd take just Geno and make him higher tier, not a terrible character...like jigglypuff lol (can't believe that IT IS STILL IN SSB)
Hey man, don't diss Jigglypuff.

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
As much as I would like to play as Geno, I would rather not have him in.

Why? Well, as you know, while he is a Nintendo character he's also owned by SE. This means that Nintendo will have to make a deal with Square Enix in order to have Geno playable (most likely, they'll have to pay money)
If there's ever a Square Enix character in SSB I would rather have an ACTUAL Square Enix character, not a Mario character. Now, if they added a SE character, then I wouldn't mind having Geno as well :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he got in, it's not like he'd be Square-Enix's representative.

Sakurai said he wants to limit 3rd parties because he doesn't think characters from other companies can mix well with Nintendo characters.

Well, Geno is a Mario character, so there is no argument he wouldn't fit in with Nintendo characters

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well, Geno is a Mario character, so there is no argument he wouldn't fit in with Nintendo characters
This. Although Geno is technically owned by SE, there is a very real possibility Sakurai could view him as a Nintendo character. After all, he IS a Mario character. There's no disputing that.

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
This. Although Geno is technically owned by SE, there is a very real possibility Sakurai could view him as a Nintendo character. After all, he IS a Mario character. There's no disputing that.

:phone:
He could very well view him as a nintendo character. But there is a humongous chance that Nintendo would get sued if Sakurai put Geno in without SE's permission. You can't fight the law man.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He could very well view him as a nintendo character. But there is a humongous chance that Nintendo would get sued if Sakurai put Geno in without SE's permission. You can't fight the law man.
I don't think anybody was suggesting Sakurai would use Geno without SE's permission, just that if he was used (with permission) he would be treated as a Mario character, not a 3rd party character.

Personally I could see Sakurai giving Geno the Mario series icon and including him in the Mario characters row/column (whatever it will be) and including his trophy with the others, but still listing him at the bottom among the other third parties in the post-Classic/All-Star credits, event matches, and such. But for all other purposes he'd be categorized with the other Mario characters. I'm mostly wondering if he'd be marketed as a third-party character or not, as that one isn't just up to Sakurai.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'd think so, although has SE made only SMRPG and MSM for the Mario series? In that case they might want to market him as an SE character since it seems they don't have a giant love for Mario. (Or just don't get the job). God, this is confusing...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd think so, although has SE made only SMRPG and MSM for the Mario series? In that case they might want to market him as an SE character since it seems they don't have a giant love for Mario. (Or just don't get the job). God, this is confusing...
They also did Mario Hoops, and the crossovers Itadaki Street DS and Fortune Street which makes SE the 3rd party company that has developed the most Mario games, other than Hudson, if I'm correct (which I might not be). I'm surprised Geno (and Mallow) haven't appeared in any of the crossovers, but I don't think it's because of a lack of love for Mario.

I think Nintendo would probably market Geno along with the other 3rd parties, even if much fewer people knew who he was, just so they could tout having a SE character (unless a different, non-Mario SE character was also included), but in-game he would be treated as a Nintendo/Mario character, which might cause confusion for some, but isn't a huge problem.

D

Deleted member

Geno is a Mario character, yes, but the fact he's owned by SE means he's an SE character, not a Nintendo character.

No loopholes. He's just a Mario character owned by Square-Enix. End of story.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno is a Mario character, yes, but the fact he's owned by SE means he's an SE character, not a Nintendo character.

No loopholes. He's just a Mario character owned by Square-Enix. End of story.
No one is saying he isn't.

There just isn't a reason why he wouldn't be able to get in or fit in like Sakurai said the reason he limits 3rd parties is.

If Geno is excluded from THAT reasoning, the only thing holding him back is a contract with SE

They also did Mario Hoops, and the crossovers Itadaki Street DS and Fortune Street which makes SE the 3rd party company that has developed the most Mario games, other than Hudson, if I'm correct (which I might not be). I'm surprised Geno (and Mallow) haven't appeared in any of the crossovers, but I don't think it's because of a lack of love for Mario.

I think Nintendo would probably market Geno along with the other 3rd parties, even if much fewer people knew who he was, just so they could tout having a SE character (unless a different, non-Mario SE character was also included), but in-game he would be treated as a Nintendo/Mario character, which might cause confusion for some, but isn't a huge problem.
No, Geno is a Mario character. He would be marketed as a Mario character.

The reason 3rd parties are separate is because they are from different universes. That's why Sakurai said he'd limit 3rd parties. Geno isn't from a different universe

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, Geno is a Mario character. He would be marketed as a Mario character.

The reason 3rd parties are separate is because they are from different universes. That's why Sakurai said he'd limit 3rd parties. Geno isn't from a different universe
Just because he's a Mario character doesn't mean is he isn't also third-party. The series he is a part of is obviously 1st party Nintendo, but the character himself is owned by a 3rd party.

Of course this is just speculation, but I think that if 3rd parties are marketed for SSB4 the same way they were in Brawl, Geno would be a part of it. I think he would be revealed before release along with the starter newcomers even though he'd be unlockable, I think he'd get his own little "Geno joins the Brawl (except with whatever the new title is)" video, and I think he'd be featured on the back of the box along with the other 3rd parties, if those things still all apply in Smash 4, among others. Just my prediction if he ever actually is included, this aspect of his inclusion is rather trivial IMO.

This doesn't mean that in the game he would be devoid of being included with the other Mario characters. He is, like you said, part of their world after all. I think (like I said above) he would still have a Mario series icon, he would still be adjacent to them in the select screen, and his trophy would be categorized with theirs, but he would still be a third party character, and would still be marketed as such.

bagoly14

Smash Rookie
Ok, let's say Geno would be 3rd party, what icon would he use?

I highly doubt they would use the SE logo unless they also included a SE character besides him.

I think everyone that wants Geno in brawl is aware of the history so they would just use him as a nintendo character.

That being said any assist trophy representing SMRPG would be great, maybe mallow and his shocker - that would be awesome.

Did SMRPG ever have a trophy? I don't remember...

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He'd either use the Mushroom Kingdom one or something to do with a star.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok, let's say Geno would be 3rd party, what icon would he use?
Either the standard Mario one (more likely) or his own unique one (probably some sort of star like SmashShadow said), depending on how Sakurai views the character.

I highly doubt they would use the SE logo unless they also included a SE character besides him.
Unless Nintendo buys Geno from Square Enix, they are going to have to credit SE if Geno is used, no matter what, even if he's the only SE character. Even if he's only a trophy or sticker.

I think everyone that wants Geno in brawl is aware of the history so they would just use him as a nintendo character.
It doesn't matter how we view him, it comes down to how Sakurai views him. Sakurai is most likely aware of his history though, so chances are if he was included he would be treated as a Nintendo character in most ways.

That being said any assist trophy representing SMRPG would be great, maybe mallow and his shocker - that would be awesome.
I agree. I'm greedy and SMRPG was awesome, so I'd also want music (especially Beware the Forest's Mushrooms), a stage, and multiple trophies. ;)

Did SMRPG ever have a trophy? I don't remember...
No, because Square owns everything unique to SMRPG. There was a rumor about a music track (Beware the Forest's Mushrooms) being included in development but then removed due to legal problems. SMRPG is also in the Chronicle, but that's it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH I'd love Mallow as a character along with Geno. I'm really Greedy

I also don't think Mario has enough good guy characters. Having to rely on multiple colored Toads in NSMB. Having Geno and Mallow along with Mario, Luigi, and Toad would be pretty awesome

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bleh, not to me. They usually are a version of another mario character with a hat or different coloration.

What I was specifically referring to was the mario platformers though

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
It might be another version of Mario, but after playing Super Paper Mario. Which took the concept of the series in another direction by making it play like a platformer rather than an RPG i think Mario's partners from the previous games could have worked for a platformer, not to mention they are all 2D. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't mean another version of Mario, I meant he gets a goomba as a partner, a koopa, etc. The majority of his partners in that game are enemies of his that become allies and I don't think they'd make that good of characters for a platformer

jigglover

Smash Lord
Blooey would be amazing in underwater levels! :troll:
I agree with you on this, if in smash 5 squeenix worked on the game, would Geno's chances go up majorly or minorly? As a whole squeenix is my favourite third-party in regards to nintendo, and would love it if they worked on a smash game, if they did, and Geno wasn't in already, would support in numbers go up for him too do you think?

Top Bottom