• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Samus Q&A Thread

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am not quite sure, I have been so used to Doc... I am not even REALLY sure what stages to pick/counterpick, glad you brought that up. : D

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
No grapple recovery :(
Tru but u still got bomb recovery which allows you to get back majority of the time without using your up B and/or second jump. This also screws up most of the cast recovery as well *easy as hell to edgeguard XD*save for Peach and Puff. IMO i think its a legit counter pick, but i hardly see other Samus mains use it.
I am not quite sure, I have been so used to Doc... I am not even REALLY sure what stages to pick/counterpick, glad you brought that up. : D
it all depends on the situation XD
anything specific you would like to discuss

Geist

Smash Master
After that Lcancel discussion, I'm wondering if anyone fast falls either. Am I the only one?

Also, on the bomb-cancelled grapple... I never found it useful. If you use it off the stage, all you accomplish is losing your grapple beam, and on stage it's a one-time fakeout tactic.
That's just me though.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
How about against a Peach? Usually I play her, so need help against her. : D

Jagg

Smash Journeyman
HugS picks Dreamland against like everything hahahaha.

But I'm actually curious on this one. I really don't know where I'd go either. Peach is evil.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
How about against a Peach? Usually I play her, so need help against her. : D
oh boi princess toadstool
Pokemon Stadium is a safe counter pick *plenty of room to run and you get to spam missile all over the place* apart from that just play with a map your comfy with.
I particularly dont like FD vs Peach *I blame Xif for this* due to lack of platforms and XIf ****** to hard on that map >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i cant imagine FD being too bad. (dont quote me i dont play samus).

The way I see it, you take her to FD, and for her to get away from your projectile game, she's going to have to jump and float, as opposed to just jumping on a platform.

duals

Smash Journeyman
What about rainbow cruise?

Peach has horrible vertical recovery and it could be good against her...i think =[

duals

Smash Journeyman
Marth is like a big dash attack/crouchcancel target in the air.
ha ha... not if your me.... which sucks...

haven't seen you in a while mars-...... i noticed you posted in like....every thread...lol

Geist

Smash Master
Marth is like a big dash attack/crouchcancel target in the air.
Wait, you manage to cc marth without getting *****, or am I reading that wrong? 0.o

I don't think FD is that bad of a choice against peach, but I'd rather take her to Stadium or Dreamland, like said above. Peach isn't all that quick on the ground, so extra maneuverability against her and turnips is a big plus. She can still gimp the **** out of you anywhere though. >:[

Corigames

Smash Hero
Here's a question that I think a lot of people don't bring up:
"How do you handle fighting a new opponent?"

A lot of people seek help for a certain player. There's that one guy who plays that one character who beats you every time. So people ask about him.

However, how do you go into match against someone you think is really good but you have never played them before? How do you psych yourself up? Do you have a particular strategy, or do you just wing it completely?

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion

A lot of people seek help for a certain player. There's that one guy who plays that one character who beats you every time. So people ask about him.

However, how do you go into match against someone you think is really good but you have never played them before? How do you psych yourself up? Do you have a particular strategy, or do you just wing it completely?

hmm against new players i go in with the basic knowledge of the Character match up and adjust accordingly to how that new player plays

Mars-

Smash Champion
Wait, you manage to cc marth without getting *****, or am I reading that wrong? 0.o
You must be. But yes, you can crouch cancel a fair from marth. And when they stop doing that dash attack should beat every arial if I remember correctly.

rhan

Smash Hero
FD n Dreamland is where I take Peach players :D
I would feel more comfortable at PS. That way I have the freedom to PMC when the normal stage is up and campy projectiles. I fought a Peach player there in a crew battle and like every charge shot I hit him with he died. (I think he was at like 120% or somewhere areound there. Maybe more, maybe less. Memory is kinda foggy at the moment...)

Geist

Smash Master
You must be. But yes, you can crouch cancel a fair from marth. And when they stop doing that dash attack should beat every arial if I remember correctly.
Hmm, that's odd, I always get destroyed when I try to clash with Marth's fair.
Would dash attack still go through if fair is tipped?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698

Logically, I would wing it. Do what I know, and know what I do. If I lose, I would just say 'rematch!' and then see if I could do any better from there, hopefully knowing what he/she may do. Then I'd try to keep playing that person, and it would be fun trying to beat him/her. (I am very persistant)

Also I think a 'new' player could also be an older player but who has gotten better. :3

DRD

Smash Lord
New opponents?

Just reaction I guess

I'm just starting in the smash scene so everybody I play is a new opponent

Watch and react, its just how everyone plays anyway

Unless they know their opponent really well, how they play, their habits, etc.

So I guess first priority would be to look for habits-- feel them out. Basically pill spam for a while =]

Rat

Smash Lord
u don't L-cancel?

wow, I mean it's rare for samus to aggressively jump and all, but like how do expect to keep up the pressure? (or not get shieldgrabbed or aerial'd out of shield)

Corigames

Smash Hero
You don't have to play technical to play smart. Doing aerials behind their shield, bombing right on top of them to stop or interrupt a grab, Up B when they are too close for comfort, etc. keeps them from getting easy grabs on me.

Being blindly aggressive isn't helpful.

Also, on the bomb-cancelled grapple... I never found it useful. If you use it off the stage, all you accomplish is losing your grapple beam, and on stage it's a one-time fakeout tactic.
That's just me though.
Mentioned this before, but, yeah, I think in general it's dumb. However, I found out that against a few characters, there's a few specific times where you can use it beneficially... that's all.
oh boi princess toadstool
Pokemon Stadium is a safe counter pick *plenty of room to run and you get to spam missile all over the place* apart from that just play with a map your comfy with.
I particularly dont like FD vs Peach *I blame Xif for this* due to lack of platforms and XIf ****** to hard on that map >_>
Actually, because of that reason, I'm not sure if I like PS that much against peach, because the match turns out to be pretty long - I'd rather go to yoshi's or dreamland, etc.
Adapt.
Learn to predict.

It's all you can do.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
7th in Singles, 5th in doubles. I lost to dsf in winners' and then gimpy in losers'. There were a couple of out-of-game factors that I think contributed to my loss against gimpy, but nothing I can do about it now, just a reminder of what I need to work on.

I recorded like 8 sets or something, plus one or two of rohins, so I will make a thread of those later. The set against gimpy wasn't recorded.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sweet, more stuff to look at and assimilate into my game... I mean critique. I have no secret plot.

Top Bottom