• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Inklings and Shovel Knight are pretty terrible outcomes due to their "newness" making them popular currently. Neither of them are worthy at all but like I said its super easy to get in smash now so that's why I expect them. Those two are so bandwagon character's it isnt even funny.
How and why are the Inklings "not worthy" though? They're easily from the most successful new IP since Pikmin and Animal Crossing. If anything I'd say they're incredibly worthy.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm not gonna lie, I'd rather see Master Chief in Smash before I ever see King K. Rool

I'm sure a console Pokemon game wouldn't actually work as well as many people think it'd would. Part of Pokemon's appeal is that you can play it on the go. That, and I don't think you can pull the whole, two versions of the same game as well on consoles, another major aspect of Pokemon.
Its called you make an actual good (no two versions) pokemon rpg instead of the rehashed cash grab thats on handhelds. Aka you actually try. Like make the story matter, add more depth to the game have the environments look amazing make the combat feel tense. Not the cookie cutter handheld crap.

How and why are the Inklings "not worthy" though? They're easily from the most successful new IP since Pikmin and Animal Crossing. If anything I'd say they're incredibly worthy.
They arent even a character they are an avatar you dress up to make look cool, seems pretty unworthy to me. Also the game just came out how about we give it some time to actually be a franchise of some significance before it gets a character in smash.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Inkling placing high in the smash ballot. Same for shovel knight. They were placing stupidly high in the test polls that people were doing around the web. I see people talking about them on forums all the time and how they would be so cool in smash, its frustrating.
I don't think so, just because a particular character has a certain amount of votes doesn't mean they'll be included. Plus I've seen characters that are much more popular in polls then they are.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Its called you make an actual good (no two versions) pokemon rpg instead of the rehashed cash grab thats on handhelds. Aka you actually try. Like make the story matter, add more depth to the game have the environments look amazing make the combat feel tense.
You really think Nintendo didn't think about this?

They arent even a character they are an avatar you dress up to make look cool, seems pretty unworthy to me.
And that's the beauty of them, they're so simple they'd make a perfect smash character.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I still say that there should be a mode, akin to all-star, where you only get a certain amount of stocks... where you get to choose a different character for each one, pre-selected before entering your barrage of fights against the full roster.
Possibly like the "All-Star" events in Melee, where you'd switch a stage every fighter/couple of fighters.
This idea probably wouldn't be that popular, but I think it'd be neat if it randomly assigned your fighters to you...unless you have amiibos of the characters you want to use. Honestly, I just want more use for amiibo in general. :facepalm:

Also yeah put me in the boat that says that Inkling deniers have absolutely no idea how popular and successful Splatoon is, and how important it is to capitalize on that in the heat of the moment. Not even looking at their potential to be unique and fun, from a strictly business standpoint, it'd be an incredibly smart decision, especially with the Smash/Splatoon bundle on its way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pokemon hate.
They arent even a character they are an avatar you dress up to make look cool, seems pretty unworthy to me. Also the game just came out how about we give it some time to actually be a franchise of some significance before it gets a character in smash.
...Dude...Trading is what made Pokemon get greenlit, the version exclusives are also boosting that. Console pokemon goes against why Pokemon was made

Miis are already in the game, Pokemon and Yoshi aren't characters.
When you have hot cakes for sale, do you wait for them to cool off? No, Same applies to Inklings, as Splatoon is Nintendo's biggest hit this year and they are extremely profitable. They don't need to 'wait to be a franchise of significance' because...That's what Splatoon already is. It's got plushies, frozen yogurt, Smash content and was a major success. Remember, not everyone shares your views on what's significant or not. I say this as someone who hopes Inklings don't become playable

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Villager, Robin, and the Mii Fighters are all customizable avatars. That doesn't make them less worthy. And it already has significance: that's the thing. They made a bigger splash (no pun intended) than any new Nintendo series in the past decade. They're significant. Why wait until the next Smash, which may not be for another seven or so years, to add them when people want them now? Strike the iron while it's hot.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You really think Nintendo didn't think about this?

And that's the beauty of them, they're so simple they'd make a perfect smash character.
No because Nintendo is to busy trying force gimmicky **** in franchises it doesnt belong in like starfox, metroid, etc...

As for avatars in smash that crap is wack, I want ACTUAL characters in smash ones with history and personality to them not some hollow doll to dress up. As for unique movesets as you can see from the various character threads any character can be made to have an interesting an unique moveset.

Villager, Robin, and the Mii Fighters are all customizable avatars. That doesn't make them less worthy. And it already has significance: that's the thing. They made a bigger splash (no pun intended) than any new Nintendo series in the past decade. They're significant. Why wait until the next Smash, which may not be for another seven or so years, to add them when people want them now? Strike the iron while it's hot.
All of those characters are garbage and hollow as a result, paste the interesting movesets on someone who is actually a character like Tom Nook in villagers case who is actually a super iconic character or scrap Robin for Isaac since he is a magic sword-wielder whose series is loved established and unrepresented. Mii Fighters niche is that they are hollow so its whatever.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No because Nintendo is to busy trying force gimmicky **** in franchises it doesnt belong in like starfox, metroid, etc...

As for avatars in smash that crap is wack, I want ACTUAL characters in smash ones with history and personality to them not some hollow doll to dress up. As for unique movesets as you can see from the various character threads any character can be made to have an interesting an unique moveset.
Inklings have history. And stop, you obviously don't get it if you think a console pokemon can work

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

But once again, if the characters are fun to play as, why the hell should it matter that they're customizable? Having Inklings playable is no different than having Pikachu or Yoshi, really...Inklings are a species, just like them. Due to that they're even less of "generic avatars" than some of he avatar characters in Smash.

A moveset based around wearing down the opponent with ink shots while having some of the best mobility in the game through the use of ink travel sounds incredibly unique and fun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Star Fox Zero using something that was in Star Fox 2? Gimmick. Multiplayer co-op games that are popular lately in a Metroid spinoff to expand lore? Gimmick.

You can't use this as a genuine argument as we already have MIIS! Can you please lay off the salt? As much as I hate to say it, Inklings are popular. 'unique movesets' Please. If you cared about that you wouldn't dislike any character.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is it weird that I hold Inklings being too new against them? I mean, personally, if I were in Nintendo's shoes, I'd want to satisfy all bases, and the Splatoon fanbase already got a sizable amount of fun this year, so I feel like it'd be kinder to give a slot to someone else who didn't get any "fun" this year.
Regardless though, I think they've got a pretty good chance, like around 20% I guess, and I definitely feel like their worthy enough, I just feel like it would be better if a franchise that didn't get any love this year got some instead. Wouldn't be upset with their presence though.

Anyways, if you all had the choice, which you would choose? The next characters to be either shocking reveals that not many expected or highly requested and speculated characters?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is it weird that I hold Inklings being too new against them? I mean, personally, if I were in Nintendo's shoes, I'd want to satisfy all bases, and the Splatoon fanbase already got a sizable amount of fun this year, so I feel like it'd be kinder to give a slot to someone else who didn't get any "fun" this year.
Regardless though, I think they've got a pretty good chance, like around 20% I guess, and I definitely feel like their worthy enough, I just feel like it would be better if a franchise that didn't get any love this year got some instead. Wouldn't be upset with their presence though.

Anyways, if you all had the choice, which you would choose? The next characters to be either shocking reveals that not many expected or highly requested and speculated characters?
Unless you complained about Roy being in Melee, you aren't allowed to say 'too new' to Inklings

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Well if I alone had a say as to who would be revealed, it'd be considered shocking to most. :p

But if I couldn't pick specific characters, then the latter. Inkling, K. Rool, Wolf, etc.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Shocking reveal. Considering Konami's situation right now, Snake would be shocking

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Inklings have history. And stop, you obviously don't get it if you think a console pokemon can work
A history of 5 months and one game lol. Also you are so insanely wrong about the pokemon game, I know so many people and have read where so many people would go buy a wii u in a heartbeat for a legit pokemon rpg.
But once again, if the characters are fun to play as, why the hell should it matter that they're customizable? Having Inklings playable is no different than having Pikachu or Yoshi, really...Inklings are a species, just like them. Due to that they're even less of "generic avatars" than some of he avatar characters in Smash.

A moveset based around wearing down the opponent with ink shots while having some of the best mobility in the game through the use of ink travel sounds incredibly unique and fun.
There is a Yoshi like there is a Toad. There also is a pikachu that people give a crap about Ash/Red's. Also I actually want cool, interesting, respectble, iconic Characters in smash bros. otherwise it might as well be that fighter it was gonna originally be with polygon men.
Star Fox Zero using something that was in Star Fox 2? Gimmick. Multiplayer co-op games that are popular lately in a Metroid spinoff to expand lore? Gimmick.

You can't use this as a genuine argument as we already have MIIS! Can you please lay off the salt? As much as I hate to say it, Inklings are popular. 'unique movesets' Please. If you cared about that you wouldn't dislike any character.
I didnt know Star Fox 2 forced you to aim a bloated ipad in various directions to aim well, also I wasnt aware that Multiplayer was what people actually loved about Metroid... You dont have to agree but my complaints about nintendo and gimmicks are completely reasonable, they have been gimmicky for two generations of consoles now.

Last edited:
Im wanting to reply to this thread less and less with how stupid some of these arguments are and how aggressive some people are being. . .
(not to mention it seems this thread is somehow more off topic than the last.)
Unless you complained about Roy being in Melee, you aren't allowed to say 'too new' to Inklings
Clone != Full newcomer.

I get you have a super huge hate for Roy but that isn't a good comparison.

Also lol at implying that Inklings could be hollow with how much personality they show in Splatoon. No. Just no.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A history of 5 months and one game lol. Also you are so insanely wrong about the pokemon game, I know so many people and have read where so many people would go buy a wii u in a heartbeat for a legit pokemon rpg.

There is a Yoshi like there is a Toad. There also is a pikachu that people give a crap about Ash/Red's. Also I actually want cool Characters in smash bros. otherwise it might as well be that fighter it was gonna originally be with polygon men.

I didnt know Star Fox 2 forced you to aim a bloated ipad in various directions to aim well, also I wasnt aware that Multiplayer was what people actually loved about Metroid... You dont have to agree but my complaints about nintendo and gimmicks are completely reasonable, they have been gimmicky for two generations of consoles now.
Yes. You, someone who despises version exclusive stuff, know how Pokemon works because again, it got greenlit BECAUSE of the trading.
Agent 3 from the Splatoon campaign. Done.
Star Fox 2 DID plan the Walker. Metroid Spinoff, something that clearly deviates from the traditional Metroid formula, so your Metroid comment is automatically disregarded. Every Nintendo game has forced gimmicks? Why, I didn't know Link between Worlds, New Super Mario bros U, and a bunch of other games were solely gimmicks. This whole argument only exists because you're getting salty on what you're guessing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There is a Yoshi like there is a Toad. There also is a pikachu that people give a crap about Ash/Red's. Also I actually want cool Characters in smash bros. otherwise it might as well be that fighter it was gonna originally be with polygon men.
I just want to point out really quickly...about the "history of five months and one game," note how we got a Woolly World stage almost a year before it came out in the USA and six months before anywhere else, Roy made his first appearance in Melee, and Super Mario Maker got a stage less than a month after it came out. It's less about the time and more about the impact. And they've had a lot of impact.

And this basically comes down to the whole "what is a character" thing. I'd argue that yes, the Inklings are characters, more so than icons or avatars. Definitely more so than, say, the Villager, because Inklings have set personality characteristics and traits. Highly competitive nature, trendy style, driven. That's more character than some of the actual named characters on the roster, who could maybe be described as one or two adjectives.

But beyond that, they're honestly a modern Nintendo icon. And isn't that what this game is about? A celebration of Nintendo, new and old, with the occasional guest?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Im wanting to reply to this thread less and less with how stupid some of these arguments are and how aggressive some people are being. . .

Clone != Full newcomer.

I get you have a super huge hate for Roy but that isn't a good comparison.
First of all, Sakurai doesn't give a damn if a character's a clone or not
Inkling-5 months old, not in Smash. Considered too new
Roy-debuted in Smash 2 months before his game got released- A okay
This isn't me hating the ****lord, it's me calling out hypocrisy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As well, cease commenting further on non-Smash Bros. games. This isn't the thread for that.

First of all, Sakurai doesn't give a damn if a character's a clone or not
Inkling-5 months old, not in Smash. Considered too new
Roy-debuted in Smash 2 months before his game got released- A okay
This isn't me hating the ****lord, it's me calling out hypocrisy
Well we aren't Sakurai so I have no idea why that matters.

The problem with Roy vs Inklings is that Inklings would be a completely different beast than Roy. Roy was added for being simple and easy and upcoming*. There is no issue with getting in the way. Roy didn't cut in front of any all stars or anything.

Inklings however would be fully fleshed out characters taking up far greater dev time. Yes, they would be getting in someone''s way.

It is in no way hypocritical to have a problem with Inklings and not Roy because Roy never had to take a slot. Inlings would.

For the record I want Inklings but im more than ok with someone not wanting them.

* I honestly dont remember if being upcoming had to do with it but I could have sworn that helped.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
:4mii::4miif: are playable, your argument is invalid
When did I say they wouldnt get in? I actually have been saying the whole time that they unfortunately will get in because of how many crappy avatar characters are in the game. Anywho I dont think there is really anything left to be said on the matter that hasnt already been when it comes to Inklings...

Last edited:

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Lol what?

Melee was developed and released how long ago? Some people weren't even old enough to know something like that. Pardon my aggression but it would be foolish to assume that the circumstances between then and now are the same. There are too many new factors.

I guarantee if Fire Emblem was a BRAND new series and Roy was in the position the Inklings are in now, we would be having the exact same conversation, and yes I would be against his inclusion too.

And again it's not that they CAN'T get in because they're too new, obviously Nintendo can make it happen and they more than qualify. I don't see why anyone is denying that. People are arguing as to why they SHOULDN'T get in.

I also fail to see how letting the series age a bit before adding them into Smash is such a negative, if the series is so strong then the Inklings should have no shortage of demand for when their time comes.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I did complain about Roy, (and also that Wooly World stage) so even in that case I'd think I still have the right to say "too new".

I kind of feel like I may have upset you though by your tone, so if I did, I'd like to apologize and say I'm sorry.

Yeah, I think this thread gets a bit crazy, unfortunately I think that's just the nature of speculation, I'd like to say I believe everyone could be somewhat civilized and not start flamewars 24/7, but as long as everybody wants their own character in the game and views others as competition there will always be a few people seeking to knock down their competitors. I really wish we could , ya know, not do that kind of thing, but I don't think that will end anytime soon.:(

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Neither party seems willing to yield to the others' opinion (not that you should either, opinions are fine and all so long as they're civil). I suggest moving on.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well we aren't Sakurai so I have no idea why that matters.

The problem with Roy vs Inklings is that Inklings would be a completely different beast than Roy. Roy was added for being simple and easy and upcoming*. There is no issue with getting in the way. Roy didn't cut in front of any all stars or anything.

Inklings however would be fully fleshed out characters taking up far greater dev time. Yes, they would be getting in someone''s way.

It is in no way hypocritical to have a problem with Inklings and not Roy because Roy never had to take a slot. Inlings would.

For the record I want Inklings but im more than ok with someone not wanting them.

* I honestly dont remember if being upcoming had to do with it but I could have sworn that helped.
This implies that there even was a slot that was taken. It's not like Smash has reservations or anything, I really don't know where this line of thinking comes from. If a character you like didn't get in, they probably were never going to get in in the first place.

This implies that there even was a slot that was taken. It's not like Smash has reservations or anything, I really don't know where this line of thinking comes from. If a character you like didn't get in, they probably were never going to get in in the first place.
No there is definitely a battle.
There is only so much room for DLC. We know there are characters who did not get in because of time constrains in the past (forbidden 7)

Slots is not the right word, but adding in one character absolutely mean another wont get in. This effect is even greater with DLC and how little ability to create content that they have.

EDIT replied to an alert before reading the page. If this is a part of that argument to move away from then my b.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To offer up a new topic, let's talk about costumes. Not Mii costumes, though, but character costumes.

Let's say they wanted to add costume DLC (free or paid, either way) to the game. What alternate costumes would you like to see and why?

I'd love it if Robin got his Grandmaster robes, or a hooded alt. As well, Link getting costumes based on other Legend of Zelda games would be neat.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
There is no reservations yes, but there definitely is not an infinite number of slots. Even more so because this is DLC, they can only go so far.

Neither party seems willing to yield to the others' opinion (not that you should either, opinions are fine and all so long as they're civil). I suggest moving on.
There is an inevitable cycle with this thread, eventually we will always come back to the same character. But I will stop.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
To offer up a new topic, let's talk about costumes. Not Mii costumes, though, but character costumes.

Let's say they wanted to add costume DLC (free or paid, either way) to the game. What alternate costumes would you like to see and why?

I'd love it if Robin got his Grandmaster robes, or a hooded alt. As well, Link getting costumes based on other Legend of Zelda games would be neat.
Ken skin for Ryu please.

Metal Mewtwo would be gucci too

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I think the community has forgotten about what Smash is all about:
Fun.
Those that are speculating seem to be forgetting about this. I mean, let's be real here:
No matter who gets in, we're going to find ways to have fun with these characters.
At the end of the day, even if our characters don't get in, we have to recognize what a behemoth Smash 4 has become.
I mean, with the Cloud reveal trailer, it was almost as though Sakurai was telling us that we could have fun thinking of the possibilities.
Point is, Smash is a video game, one that celebrates the medium and the people that made us who we are as gamers.
Come December, I'll be hoping for K. Rool and Rayman, but even if they don't get in, I'll still enjoy the heck out of who we get. Sure, I'll be salty, but let's be thankful that Sakurai is actually making DLC.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement

I second the idea of a hooded Robin, it's funny 'cause I was thinking about it earlier today. I think cosmetic DLC is a lovely idea, however when I asked about DLC alts earlier in the thread people said it would be unlikely and I'm inclined to agree. I'd rather them put more resources towards other game modes and the like.

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree wit Robin alts.
Great Lord Lucina would be cool too.
Various Shulk armor (like the over the top High entia armor)

And that weird idea only I could think of. .. "classic" Palutena

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Game modes would be nice, but I'm sure a lot of the modes people are asking for would be a bit too much effort. Things like an All Star versus mode would be possible, especially since it's in the game. But an entire Boss Battles? Not unless they were planning to add it in from the start.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Man, there's a lot of entitledness in the last few pages. Inklings are just as worthy of being in as Shulk, in my opinion.
Hey Id agree because I also dont think Shulk is honestly worthy either but thats neither here nor there.

As for character costumes Id speculate but if we were gonna get something like that we would have gotten some awhile back along with the mii stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom