• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

miyamotofan64

Smash Rookie
What kinds of DLC would you guys want to see ?

Personally, I'd want the return of "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platforms" modes.
Those would be good returning features, and I think they should also add the Metal Mario stage from melee and the final destination from melee also. THAT STAGE IS SWEET!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
IMO, final DLC will include the following...

Characters
  • Cloud
  • Wolf
  • King K. Rool
  • Issac

Stages
  • Midgard
  • *Insert Golden Sun Stage*
  • Saffron City
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Magicant for Wii U
  • Luigi's Mansion for 3DS

Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Mortal Kombat mii costumes (as well as costumes from a few other franchises).
I can see the first two, but Isaac? He's only popular in the West, not really anywhere else, but I don't want to start an argument.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In terms of what I expect (and/or hope for) in the December presentation...

Gonna jot down key points of my predictions

Smash Bros Special Presentation 12.6.2015

- 1st reveal. Wolf reveal + explanation of his popularity and that he wasn't chosen from the Ballot

- Cloud details on his moveset and how he got in the game. Midgar stage explained

- Smash Ballot news. It's revealed that 3 characters were chosen from the ballot. One being Cloud and the other 2 being characters that will be revealed later on in the presentation

- Mii Costume Stuff

- DLC Music. Tracks from previous Smash Bros Games are being released for free.

- Sakurai reveals that DLC Characters will all be getting custom moves as well as Palutena's Guidance

- 2nd reveal. King K. Rool is revealed and Sakurai says that K. Rool had the most amount of votes in the Ballot that got him in the game. He also briefly goes over his moveset. He explains that he's the 2nd of 3 ballot characters with the final one being revealed at the end of the presentation

- Stages galore! The final stages (past stages mind you) are shown off. Among these stages are Saffron City, Poke Floats, and Rainbow Cruise

- Amiibo stuff

- 3DS finally gets another 1-P mode that's exclusive to it's platform

- Adventure mode reveal. The mode is similar to Melee's with a bit of differences. Exclusive to Wii U.

- Final reveal. A suprise, shocking addition to the roster is revealed and this character is the final character chosen from the ballot. Sakurai goes over this character's moveset and explains how he got in the game. This character is also bundled with a stage. All 4 remaining DLC characters will get an Amiibo at a later date

- Sakurai reveals that all of the content shown off will immediately be made available much like the June presentation. He also reveals that Smash DLC is officially over and thanks fans for supporting the game

(codec call)

- To everyone's suprise, a codec call of Snake and the same guy he talked to in his Brawl reveal happens. Snake says it's good to be back and a graphic appears on the screen.

SOLID SNAKE RETURNS TO SUPER SMASH BROS!

Snake: It's showtime...again!

COMING SPRING 2016

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
His support and Bandana Dee's are about comparable, but inverted.

Just to say.
Not even close to comparable. Bandana Dee is particularly popular in Japan, but still popular around the world. Isaac I've only seen in the West. His popularity is only decent over there.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not even close to comparable. Bandana Dee is particularly popular in Japan, but still popular around the world. Isaac I've only seen in the West. His popularity is only decent over there.
If we remove veterans and 3rd Parties (for the west, where 3rd parties seem to be most abundantly promoted),

Isaac's a top 5 for West, top 20 for Japan.
B.Dee is the opposite.

Relatively speaking.

Edit: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we remove veterans and 3rd Parties,

Isaac's a top 5 for West, top 20 for Japan.
B.Dee is the opposite.

Relatively speaking.

Edit: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/
Well okay then, I rest my case.
However I believe Bandana Dee being more popular in Japan helps him, as that's where Smash Bros'target audience is, and in that case, would appeal to that audience. Isaac would appeal to the West. Though I believe they would appeal to both audiences (Kirby being one of Nintendo's biggiest franchises and Isaac being anime-esque) so there's no real problems with either.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly, I support Master Chief. The ONLY reason I believe that he is not probable is because if Nintendo/Sakurai hypothetically met with Microsoft, it would be for Banjo and Kazooie. However, to get the last "top ten" video-game character in Smash would be absolutely monumental. I do not even like Master Chief, but he represents modern gaming in a strange way. That being said, I already know that I am crazy.
If only Microsoft allowed Banjo by getting Master Chief.
I also want MC, I must say.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So Square currently having a deal with Microsoft for the next Tomb Raider doesn't effect Lara's chances in the slightest?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well okay then, I rest my case.
However I believe Bandana Dee being more popular in Japan helps him, as that's where Smash Bros'target audience is, and in that case, would appeal to that audience. Isaac would appeal to the West. Though I believe they would appeal to both audiences (Kirby being one of Nintendo's biggiest franchises and Isaac being anime-esque) so there's no real problems with either.
Don't get me wrong.
I put them on equal tiers of likeliness, but put together I think Bandana Dee wins out for a number of reasons. Recency and the ambiguity of the Golden Sun series and their future in spite of fan demand being some of the biggest threats to the Venus Adept.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
So what your saying it that we wouldn't be getting a ballot newcomer, not even one?
Correct. I'm thinkin that ballot was an interest check, maybe for 5mash or whatev.figure the rest'll be done by mid-dec and development winds down. again, thinking brawl character poll and crap.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think that helps her chances much (if at all) since the ballot ended prior to Pirate's Curse's Japanese release and I doubt there were any Japanese votes for Shantae.
You'd be suprised actually. Polls show her to be the most popular indie character in Japan.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That isn't saying much

Not very big fish in an extremely tiny pond
Not if her Western popularity is anything to say. And she's proved to be successful.
Care to provide the source as well as a date then?
I'm looking for it, the poll was from August I believe.

Edit: This could actually take a while.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not if her Western popularity is anything to say. And she's proved to be successful.

I'm looking for it, the poll was from August I believe.
It's typically best to have Sources ready whilst you're making these claims.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's typically best to have Sources ready whilst you're making these claims.
She ranked 325th place in one poll so it seems. (According to Knowyourmeme) So I guess it's not really saying much after all. Still her Western popularity is tremendous and she's become successful in Japan, not to mention she now has a publisher in that region. So I don't see the problems.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
She ranked 325th place so it seems. So I guess it's not really saying much after all. Still her Western popularity is tremendous and she's become successful in Japan, not to mention she now has a publisher in that region. So I don't see the problems.
She's not an icon.
It shouldn't have to bear being said.
Sakurai isn't going to go against his criteria just because of popularity. Shantae is literally "any character." Look at the current third parties.
They actually carry meaning with them and are recognisable to many gamers. Being the popular kid in the little leagues is a far cry from being a gaming icon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
She's not an icon.
Sakurai isn't going to go against his criteria just because of popularity. Shantae is literally "any character." Look at the current third parties.
They actually carry meaning with them and are recognisable to many gamers. Being the popular kid in the little leagues is a far cry from being a gaming icon.
She's not even an Indie icon either. She's ress recognized for crossovers, and has little merchandise. She's a neat character, but highly overrated as a possibility. Same thing applies to Shovel Knight, but he is major in the Indie scene right now. His chances are barely higher, respectively, unless him being "hot" right now means anything.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
She's not an icon.
For an indie, yes. For an actual videogame character, no, she's a far cry. While she is popular in the indie community, in comparison to other characters she doesn't really add up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She ranked 325th place in one poll so it seems. (According to Knowyourmeme) So I guess it's not really saying much after all. Still her Western popularity is tremendous and she's become successful in Japan, not to mention she now has a publisher in that region. So I don't see the problems.
Pretty much what Schnee117 Schnee117 said, and there are still other iconic third party characters Sakurai and his team could use such as Snake, Rayman, Simon, and Bomberman.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Pretty much what Schnee117 Schnee117 said, and there are still other iconic third party characters Sakurai and his team could use such as Snake, Rayman, Simon, and Bomberman.
As I said before, I agree. However if they want to please fans then I think that it could be a a possibility, but I suppose it's somewhat unlikely.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
She's not even an Indie icon either. She's ress recognized for crossovers, and has little merchandise. She's a neat character, but highly overrated as a possibility. Same thing applies to Shovel Knight, but he is major in the Indie scene right now. His chances are barely higher, respectively, unless him being "hot" right now means anything.
The thing going in Shantae's favour is longevity and multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles (:4cloud:which a bit too much stock is put into honestly:4cloud:). That's it.
Shovel Knight at least had Kratos and the Battletoads appear in the PS4 and Xbox One versions of his one game respectively so he's been around some big characters before.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Welp, Shantae's a Smash hit in Japan...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsell...ef=pd_zg_hrsr_vg_1_5_last/376-4260128-5272305
*Number 4*
I think you know where I'm going with this.
I think Sakurai has made it clear that he's only going to add iconic 3rd party characters into Smash. Shantae isn't a gaming icon, she's just a lucky franchise at this point.

Ever since :4cloud:was revealed, I think it's safe to say Sakurai is going to stick to his word. :4sonic:, :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4ryu:, and :4cloud: are indeed iconic characters. :snake: is also an icon, but he probably wouldn't be added if it wasn't for Kojima. Comparing Shantae to these guys is like comparing payless shoes to expensive Air Jordans.

This means nothing for right now. However, Sakurai did indeed pay a visit to WayForward so I could totally be wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing going in Shantae's favour is longevity and multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles (:4cloud:which a bit too much stock is put into honestly:4cloud:). That's it.
Shovel Knight at least had Kratos and the Battletoads appear in the PS4 and Xbox One versions of his one game respectively so he's been around some big characters before.
Pretty much. Being there a long time there is good, but also being notable at the same time is better. A huge success is sweet, but being severely popular and pretty much everywhere is what being a true icon is about. Shovel Knight beats Shantae heavily in that department. I don't put much stock into Shovel Knight being in, but he does have more important stuff going for him at the moment. Anything could happen, but who knows. Inklings are the only one I think have a fairly good chance right now regardless of being new, unless they can't work as well as Sakurai wants due to the 3DS, literally their only downside.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Remember when Roy was going to be officially revealed at the FE concert?
Good times.
Hey, I'm just saying there's a small chance of her getting in due to Sakurai visiting her creators, but like I said, this means nothing for right now. All we have to do is wait and see for ourselves.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think we should change the topic to something we haven't discussed yet... Bubsy in Smash? I mean he is iconic...

Morbi

Scavenger
I think we should change the topic to something we haven't discussed yet... Bubsy in Smash? I mean he is iconic...
A character, especially one allegedly from the Smash ballot, needs to be more than iconic. Honestly, after almost a year of Bubsy jokes here on the boards, I still have no idea who he is. Is he not some sort of rabbit?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A character, especially one allegedly from the Smash ballot, needs to be more than iconic. Honestly, after almost a year of Bubsy jokes here on the boards, I still have no idea who he is. Is he not some sort of rabbit?
This is all you need in regards to Bubsy:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Bubsy is a bobcat actually.

Edit: :4greninja:'d!

Last edited:

Miikon

Smash Cadet
People here need to stop using polls to measure a character's chance of appearing as DLC.
Using polls that only the dedicated Smash community has answered gives a scewed picture of who is a popular choice.
There are a lot of casual smashers who voted in the ballot and if the dedicated community consist of 200000 people, there will still be 2 million other people who have voted, leaving the hardcore fans as a loud minority.
Chances are that most of them play mainstream games like Mario Kart and have voted for Daisy or Waluigi and none of the polls take that into consideration.

Morbi

Scavenger
People here need to stop using polls to measure a character's chance of appearing as DLC.
Using polls that only the dedicated Smash community has answered gives a scewed picture of who is a popular choice.
There are a lot of casual smashers who voted in the ballot and if the dedicated community consist of 200000 people, there will still be 2 million other people who have voted, leaving the hardcore fans as a loud minority.
Chances are that most of them play mainstream games like Mario Kart and have voted for Daisy or Waluigi and none of the polls take that into consideration.
I agree, the only practical use of polls is to determine player preference of a fraction of a dedicated community. Ironically, even if we were able to actually have every single person who voted on the ballot vote on a poll, there would still be a discrepancy between the results. That also does not account for any liberties that Nintendo or Sakurai may have needed/wanted to take in the first place. Basically, polls are good fun; however, that is about it.

I would hate to say it, but I fell for the skewed picture of King K. Rool for quite some time. I was fairly convinced he would be the undisputed champion of the ballot. Fortunately, I have come to terms with the notion that I was just adhering to a perceived truth. It is definitely not healthy speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom