• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Even though Midna and Skull Kid each had one starring roles in the Zelda series they still have a bigger presence in the series compared to Tingle...Both have or are getting remakes of their respective games as well as playable roles and an involvment in Hyrule Warriors (though it is still yet to be seen if Tingle will have any active part in HWL as well) Midna has an amiibo (while Skull Kid was planned to have one)...

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/05/aonuma-told-the-hyrule-warriors-team-not-to-add-tingle/

tbh Nintendo could do with more serious themes in more of their games...I'm not saying they should make their own GTA and M rated slaughter fests, but sometimes stepping out of their 'family friendly' mindset at times can be beneficial especially if they want to expand their fanbase (and actually start selling more console units) games like Xenoblade for example are a step in the right direction...
They had a GTA clone already though...

It was pretty kid-friendly though...
And their hack-and-slash game...

Also on the safer side of things...

There is a 0.00% chance of getting a Metroid newcomer for smash 4
Dark Samus is an AT
Ridley is a boss and . . .well sakurai has his opinion (Im still dreaming for smash 5!)
Sylux is a character with only one appearance. . .from a side game
Rundas (whose former popularity I will never understand) is a one off who is dead. He had like . . 10 minutes of screen time lol.
Anthony Higgs and Adam are from Other M aka the game everyone hates. Even recency cant save them.

With Dark Samus likely falling in relevancy Smash 5 will probably either be Ridley only or Ridley vs Sylux depending on if they actually get a new game by then or not.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Dark Samus is an AT
Ridley is a boss and . . .well sakurai has his opinion (Im still dreaming for smash 5!)
Rundas (whose former popularity I will never understand) is a one off who is dead. He had like . . 10 minutes of screen time lol.
Anthony Higgs and Adam are from Other M aka the game everyone hates. Even recency cant save them.

With Dark Samus ikely falling in relevancy Smash 5 will probably either be Ridley only or Ridley vs Sylux depending on ifthey actually get a new game by then or not.
Oni... I've never seen a single person talk about Adam... He's basically a meme at this point...

I've seen people talk about Anthony though, probably because he was a good character (And imo the only one I actually cared about), so if we got someone from MOM, it'd be without any question, Anthony, at least that's what I think.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Dark Samus is an AT

With Dark Samus likely falling in relevancy Smash 5 will probably either be Ridley only or Ridley vs Sylux depending on if they actually get a new game by then or not.
I reiterate that I don't think it's extremely likely either.

But it's certainly not impossible. 0.01% sounds fair if you want to go by that.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
To be completely fair, Dark Samus' story is done.

Relevance matters to Sakurai to an extent, and considering that Dark Samus has been stated to be done for by Kensuke Tanabe, her relevance will drop like a rock between now and the next Smash should the next Prime come out by then. That and she ain't getting in this time.

Not that I think Sylux is extremely likely right now, mind you, and I'd accept any of the three as newcomers. There's a reality to be seen, though.
And who needs Dark Samus when can have Dark Pit, amirite

Sylux would be cool but until they do anything relevant not seeing it likely anytime soon

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
Dark Samus is an AT

After the shock twist of Cloud being added, I've finally learned to never give exact estimates when it comes to Sakurai. Though, you do make some valid points. I understand Sylux probably won't get in this time. But even then, it has a promising future, since Prime's creator has a fondness for it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I haven't posted here in a while, but I feel like adding my input towards a character that's a part of the Mario series:
I feel like Paper Mario has a decent shot. He's been around for quite some time and has had a game on all home consoles since the N64(excluding the Wii U, but development isn't over). Not only that, but his games have all sold very well and his series is still continuing. He's relatively highly requested. Paper Mario has also distinguished his own identity.

I haven't taken an in-depth look at the article @PushDustIn wrote about what Sakurai looks for in a character, but from what I saw, Paper Mario seemed to fit the bill. That's just a small opinion I have on the character, hopefully he's revealed in the heavily awaited Smash Podcast.

... Back to the Bat Cave I go.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
All this Adam talk made me sick to my stomach. Now I'm like "No one ever does talk about him. Oh god. What if Sakurai decides to implement him solely for the shock factor?"

That is world I do not want to live in.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
All this Adam talk made me sick to my stomach. Now I'm like "No one ever does talk about him. Oh god. What if Sakurai decides to implement him solely for the shock factor?"

That is world I do not want to live in.
ADAM DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THIS POST! :hulk:
(Lol but seriously I agree with you 1000%)

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Speaking of Adam, was Other M really that bad?
It seems like any mention of the game gets Metroid fans in a bad mood.

and Federation force..

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It seems like any mention of the game gets a Metroid fan in a bad mood.
Wasn't as good as the others, that's all I'm saying because I absolutely don't want to get into this discussion again.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Dark Samus is an AT

Man, Anthony was literally the only good thing about that game
Well Roidley wasn't too bad, His muscular frame made it more believable if Ridley was to be made smaller to be playable in Smash, we all know bad that ended up..

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice

and Federation force..
It really was for a vast majority of painful reasons. Also, it was the last Metroid game to come out. I can't help thinking because Nintendo did the usual company thing that all companies do and said "Ah people just don't want Metroid games so it wouldn't be profitable to make more" instead of "People want good Metroid games it would be profitable to make those"

Wasn't as good as the others, that's all I'm saying because I absolutely don't want to get into this discussion again.
I will stop there as well because it is off topic and i'm sure an Other M defender will climb down my throat for it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

and Federation force..
Good things: Graphics looked great for the Wii, Samus is shown being athletic in her Power Suit, which is great and they got Ridley right for the most part, you can TELL he's intelligent and intimidating. Everything else: Garbage. Other M was literally painful for me to play
The less Other M content in Smash, the better, ESPECIALLY when the most hated Metroid character didn't even deserve it's ****ing trophy. Sylux, Dark Samus and Ridley would all be great to see in Smash though, despite them sadly being impossible for DLC this time around

Burruni

Smash Hero

and Federation force..
Other M is a huge case of: "Great ideas; bad implimentation."

A Metroid game that properly impliments more of the established story from the Manga that's been canon since it was made, including Samus having a level of PTSD from Ridley eating her parents infront of her and her time training with the galactic army? Sounds compelling from the story front.

A Metroid game that has a number of LIVING HUMANS in it that Samus can interact with to give her a better sense of character? Perfectly good.

A Metroid game that gives a semi-qualifiable reason for her abilities being locked in the matter of corporal command because she's part OF a group (edit: in a recon & rescue mission, instead of normal "blow up everything" Metroid basis), lead by the person she holds most respect for? A good change!

A Metroid Game that tries to bring back the combat style of the classic titles brought into a 3D space instead of just Prime's FPS style? Sign. Me. Up!

edit: However, a lot those resources were barely handled. The fact that the team MAKING the game and WRITING the game didn't directly work together and moreso relayed bullet points together to keep in check alone sohuld've sent a red flag up. The ally federation team you get a total of about 4 scenes together, most of which end in someone dying. Adam's "restrictions" are barely given the explanation they do and have the sore thumb of being permited to the Varia suit AFTER GETTING THROUGH THE LAVA AREA just rubbed people the wrong way. And focusing heavily on the factor of her losing the closest thing Samus would have to a child for a significant chunk of the game which came of heavily as "whiny" with the constant usage of "The Baby." And combat wise, it basically came down to charge shots and finisher moves with just about anything else being invalid for proper attacking.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Discussion about Tingle happened? Just a reminder that Tingle was a popular enough character over in Japan that he got his own games so I doubt the Japanese were angry about his reveal for Hyrule Warriors.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Other M is a huge case of: "Great ideas; bad implimentation."

A Metroid game that properly impliments more of the established story from the Manga that's been canon since it was made, including Samus having a level of PTSD from Ridley eating her parents infront of her and her time training with the galactic army? Sounds compelling from the story front.

A Metroid game that has a number of LIVING HUMANS in it that Samus can interact with to give her a better sense of character? Perfectly good.

A Metroid game that gives a semi-qualifiable reason for her abilities being locked in the matter of corporal command because she's part OF a group (edit: in a recon & rescue mission, instead of normal "blow up everything" Metroid basis), lead by the person she holds most respect for? A good change!

A Metroid Game that tries to bring back the combat style of the classic titles brought into a 3D space instead of just Prime's FPS style? Sign. Me. Up!

edit: However, a lot those resources were barely handled. The fact that the team MAKING the game and WRITING the game didn't directly work together and moreso relayed bullet points together to keep in check alone sohuld've sent a red flag up. The ally federation team you get a total of about 4 scenes together, most of which end in someone dying. Adam's "restrictions" are barely given the explanation they do and have the sore thumb of being permited to the Varia suit AFTER GETTING THROUGH THE LAVA AREA just rubbed people the wrong way. And focusing heavily on the factor of her losing the closest thing Samus would have to a child for a significant chunk of the game which came of heavily as "whiny" with the constant usage of "The Baby." And combat wise, it basically came down to charge shots and finisher moves with just about anything else being invalid for proper attacking.
This is pretty much my stance on other m...the idea had potential but the execution was poor as ****...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Good things: Graphics looked great for the Wii, Samus is shown being athletic in her Power Suit, which is great and they got Ridley right for the most part, you can TELL he's intelligent and intimidating. Everything else: Garbage. Other M was literally painful for me to play
The less Other M content in Smash, the better, ESPECIALLY when the most hated Metroid character didn't even deserve it's ****ing trophy. Sylux, Dark Samus and Ridley would all be great to see in Smash though, despite them sadly being impossible for DLC this time around
Anthony didn't even get a trophy... :sadeyes:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
There is a 0.00% chance of getting a Metroid newcomer for smash 4.
I agree with this sentiment. Never say never, obviously.. But who?

There are characters you could potentially force into a fighter if you think hard about a potential moveset.. but like, beyond the huge iconic monsters of Metroid, Samus is the one clear star out of that franchise.

What I would like is an entirely new Metroid stage of some sort. Tourian, Tallon IV's Overworld (with iconic rainy backdrop), Phendrana Drifts.. I wouldn't even mind something from Federation Force / Other M if it had any type of iconic decorating / enemies / music. I'm just pretty exhausted of the lava / acid indoor arena type themes, as if that's all Metroid is.

Not to get into it, but I like Other M. It's clearly flawed in its storytelling, but the 2D/3D movement and action mechanics are pretty good.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Ya know, someone really ought to compile a list of notable characters without trophies considering how many weird absences there are. Going off of memory it'd be like Anthony, Dark Matter, Waddle Dee, and Isaac but I'm sure there's some other big names missing. Some of those are especially weird, like, uh, why on earth is Waddle Dee not one!? That's just flat out weird, I get this ominous feeling that it's got to be hinting at something.

I

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ya know, someone really ought to compile a list of notable characters without trophies considering how many weird absences there are. Going off of memory it'd be like Anthony, Dark Matter, Waddle Dee, and Isaac but I'm sure there's some other big names missing. Some of those are especially weird, like, uh, why on earth is Waddle Dee not one!? That's just flat out weird, maybe it's hinting at something, I dunno.
Add onto the list
"Any trophies for the Mario & Luigi series."
The fact we never saw one for even Fawful or Starlow is a little silly.
Now that I think about it, what was the last game we saw Toadsworth in? I think it MAY have been Partners in Time. (edit: I know Toadsworth has a trophy)

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Adding Adam or Anthony from Metroid: Other M would be a slap in the face to Metroid fans. The only viable newcomers from Metroid are Ridley or Dark Samus, possibly one of the hunters, but none of them currently stand out

If Ganondorf were to receive a new moveset, then the Zelda series would be complete. I'm saying that as a die hard classic Zelda fan. Link, Zelda, Shiek and Ganondorf are enough. Adding Tingle instead of literally anyone, is a another slap in the face to Zelda fans

Outside of Metroid and Donkey Kong (and even those could be considered represented well enough), there aren't any series in Smash that need or deserve a newcomer. Sakurai should start adding new series to finally give other fans some recognition. Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Sin & Pinushment, Murasame Castle, just to name a few

Outside of Toad, Dixie Kong, K Rool and Ridley, every character from Nintendo's A & B listers are present. So any newcomers from here on out are going to be C listers, so why not add new series

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Adding Adam or Anthony from Metroid: Other M would be a slap in the face to Metroid fans. The only viable newcomers from Metroid are Ridley or Dark Samus, possibly one of the hunters, but none of them currently stand out

If Ganondorf were to receive a new moveset, then the Zelda series would be complete. I'm saying that as a die hard classic Zelda fan. Link, Zelda, Shiek and Ganondorf are enough

Outside of Metroid and Donkey Kong (and even those could be considered represented well enough), there aren't any series in Smash that need or deserve a newcomer. Sakurai should start adding new series to finally give other fans some recognition. Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Sin & Pinushment, Murasame Castle, just to name a few

Outside of Toad, Dixie Kong, K Rool and Ridley, every character from Nintendo's A & B listers are present. So any newcomers from here on out are going to be C listers, so why not add new series
I fail to understand, adding a Metroid character to Smash Brothers would be a "slap in the face to Metroid fans"? I suppose that is why Sakurai has not bothered to add any other Metroid characters in that event. The fan-base sounds particularly uncompromising.

As a die-hard classic Zelda fan... I do not believe the Zelda series is complete with only Triforce wielders. Maybe if I was a casual Zelda fan that would be more than enough for me; however, I desire that some other aspect of the series made its way into the playable category. At least the Legend of Zelda has the best assist trophy line-up.

Oh, brother. "Need or deserve." Words that always incite fruitful discussion.

Because C-listers from recognizable franchises are higher in demand.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I fail to understand, adding a Metroid character to Smash Brothers would be a "slap in the face to Metroid fans"? I suppose that is why Sakurai has not bothered to add any other Metroid characters in that event. The fan-base sounds particularly uncompromising.
Because they're uninteresting, gun-toting generic military soldier dudes in a game about bounty hunters fighting horrific alien monsters.
From the worst game in the series.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Outside of Metroid and Donkey Kong (and even those could be considered represented well enough), there aren't any series in Smash that need or deserve a newcomer.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that deserve thing, the Kirby franchise, despite being Nintendo's fifth largest franchise by sales, is taken care of just as badly as Donkey Kong and Metroid if we're counting stages and trophies too, we don't even have our series's other main antagonist as a trophy, and we don't have a single Post-Sakurai stage. Here as a example, imagine this, what if Mario never got any stages from a game Miyamoto didn't direct(like Paper Mario or Sunshine), Rosalina, Wario, and Bowser Jr. are cut since he didn't make them, and that Wario wasn't even in as a trophy despite being the closest thing to a secondary antagonist and a very important character? Wouldn't that just sting of bias? I imagine it would. That's essentially the way Kirby's repped right now, we're missing everything non-sakurai, and the non-Sakurai stuff however important, like say, Dark Matter, sometimes doesn't even get trophies, I personally think it'd be fair to say Kirby deserves a bit more representation.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because they are characters that the fan base say aren't deserving for being in Smash, because those two in particular appear as side characters to one title. Adam, in some capacity, kinda in two depending on your stance with Fusion's CPU.

Metroid is a series of few proper characters. Even fewer that last more than one game, fairly similar to Zelda in that regard.

When the fanbase lacks Ridley or Dark Samus and suggesting Adam or Anthony, seriously, is most comparable to asking for... say, Agatha in before Ganon(dorf) or Vaati. Before Hyrule Warriors, in case soemone wanted to try to use that as any evidence for Agatha.

Edit: Arguably more befitting would be asking for Tricky from Star Fox Adventures as the next SF character.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Except there's been like, no major new additions to Kirby since Sakurai left except Waddle Dee who's...a Waddle Dee.
If does need some new stages, but I think it's fine on characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because they're uninteresting, gun-toting generic military soldier dudes in a game about bounty hunters fighting horrific alien monsters.
From the worst game in the series.
To be fair, they are essentially the only viable Metroid characters not already in the game. I am not asserting that they are interesting, but I also have faith that Sakurai could do them justice if he needed to. But hey, there is a reason they are not already in the game. I am just surprised that Metroid fans would actually be disappointed. Albeit, I sort of want Master Chief in the game. So uninteresting, gun-toting generic military soldier dudes are not something I am completely in opposition of.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even as not a Metroid fan, Adam couldn't be more of a waste of a character slot.

- One-off side character from the worst Metroid game
- Not only is he not wanted, everyone HATES him
- Dark Samus, Ridley, and Sylux are all more popular requests from the same series
- There's a million other NON-Adam choices for Smash that are way, way, way better

Just...no.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes

As a die-hard classic Zelda fan... I do not believe the Zelda series is complete with only Triforce wielders. Maybe if I was a casual Zelda fan that would be more than enough for me; however, I desire that some other aspect of the series made its way into the playable category. At least the Legend of Zelda has the best assist trophy line-up.

Hey, good on ya for pointin' out stupid absolute sayings and wrongful grammatical uses of words.

It's not like it's wrong to call most characters in Other M (which I agree with):
uninteresting, gun-toting generic military soldier dudes
But it devalues the actual process of creating these characters, along with potential fans of characters. I know, your opinions are your opinions but:

What if Sakurai and the Smash 4 devs came up with a really fun set of moves for Anthony Higgs? Is that just a waste now because the script / personality / etc of the original character ain't all that and that he isn't that popular with fans?

I guess lack of popularity has scrapped characters previously.. but I'd like it not be so.

Last edited:
Imagine adding a Zelda CDI character to smash.

That's pretty much the reaction the Metroid fanbase (and I) would have with an Other M character. That game is despised. Especially Adam who is widely considered a terrible character in both actions and personality (outside f the comic at least)

Anthony is at least liked a little but it's still a really bad idea to add either of them.

Mobes

NNID
MobesMobes
OKAY, OKAY, HOW DO I MAKE THIS HAPPEN

Wouldn't it be amazing if Nintendo somehow referenced those terrible CD-I games in the current age? Gawd, it'll never happen. I'd love something stupid from those CD-I games materializing in Smash.

Hotel Mario music in the Wrecking Crew stage GO

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Metroid fans would rather have only Samus than see Adam get in over Ridley. Terrible characters from what is going to become the black sheep of the series

You implying I'm a casual Zelda fan? Nice potshot... Personally, I think it's selfish to think Zelda isn't already well represented.

Demand means nothing, look at the newcomers each game, the characters highest in demand get overlooked

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile

That's pretty much the reaction the Metroid fanbase (and I) would have with an Other M character. That game is despised. Especially Adam who is widely considered a terrible character in both actions and personality (outside f the comic at least)

Anthony is at least liked a little but it's still a really bad idea to add either of them.
THE KING

WONDERS WHATS FOR DINNER

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But it devalues the actual process of creating these characters, along with potential fans of characters. I know, your opinions are your opinions but:

What if Sakurai and the Smash 4 devs came up with a really fun set of moves for Anthony Higgs? Is that just a waste now because the script / personality / etc of the original character ain't all that and that he isn't that popular with fans?

I guess lack of popularity has scrapped characters previously.. but I'd like it not be so.
Sakurai can make any character fun for somebody.
I'd prefer he spend that effort creating a character people would actually enjoy.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Except there's been like, no major new additions to Kirby since Sakurai left except Waddle Dee who's...a Waddle Dee.
Calling Bandana Dee just another waddle dee is kinda discrediting the multiple playable roles he's had in the series, especially Rainbow Paintbrush where Meta Knight was absent almost completely. There's also Return to Dreamland where he appeared as one of the main 4 characters and continued to do so in plenty of Kirby promotional material and then Triple Deluxe where he shows up multiple times throughout the game, once again when Meta Knight is nowhere to be seen. Not to mention that he's a popular character with a unique weapon.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Metroid fans would rather have only Samus than see Adam get in over Ridley. Terrible characters from what is going to become the black sheep of the series

You implying I'm a casual Zelda fan? Nice potshot... Personally, I think it's selfish to think Zelda isn't already well represented.

Demand means nothing, look at the newcomers each game, the characters highest in demand get overlooked
Adam would be a great joke character. There is no denying that.

I did not imply any such notion. Instead, I hypothetically tried to see my own perspective from a different point of view where I might agree with you. You quite literally stated that you are a hardcore Zelda fan and I have no reason not to believe you. As for the selfish aspect of that response... So what? Most speculation is biased in the first place. I believe Zelda should have a character without a ****ing triangle on the back of their hand. It might be selfish, but that is how I feel.

Demand means nothing?! I am not going to bother with that blatant misinformation. You should probably come at it from the idea that demand is negligible if you want anyone to take your opinions seriously.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Bandana Waddle Dee was actually made by Sakurai :p. Also, regardless of whether or not he's a waddle dee he's the fourth main character now, he's pretty darn respectable and I'd argue deserving.

Dark Matter however, while made during his era, wasn't actually made by Sakurai, and is the series's secondary antagonist, He's the final boss directly for three games which all are part of a over-arching trilogy name focusing on the character, and is heavily implied to be directly related to, Dark Crafter, the Master Crown, and Dark Mind. Then you've got Galacta Knight, who's a recurring post-game boss with some ballot support, then Magolor another recurring character, who happens to be
the main antagonist of his game and the spiritual successor to Marx,
who's also got some ballot support, has a developed character ,and has multiple cameo appearances that may or may not building him up. I'd say those are some pretty major additions.

D

Deleted member

The King would be hilarious, Adam send like an interesting character so him or Ridley or Slyix in the next Smash hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom