• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
FThrow > Spike is so flashy on noobs. I love doing it.
this. i make sure i it at least once in a match against a bad person. anybody watching the match ****s themselves and then starts saying i'm 'awesome' and that ICs are 'broken as ****!'

IxxI

Smash Fence
FThrow gets the farther away from the stage, and you get a little bit of extra damage. Either way, you should never spike a good player, they will just DI out and live.

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
On light characters I prefer the Dthrow-Fair spike because it comes out quicker but for heavier characters I use Fthrow-Fair spike because theres not as much lag difference in the throw, while Dthrowing a heavey takes ages... My opinion

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
FThrow gets the farther away from the stage, and you get a little bit of extra damage. Either way, you should never spike a good player, they will just DI out and live.
Unless if they do DI, maybe you predict and try f-smashing them once they roll out of the edge for a surprise attack. Although if they have that much damage I think it won't work since the DI slides them a little bit.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
You can actually spike them at the edge, and immediately dash grab away. NOBODY techs in place or towards the edge, it's pretty hard.

Prawn

Smash Master
Why spike them? Most characters have to be 60-70 plus to die even without teching anyway >_<

Just chaingrab them the rest of the way for a guaranteed kill.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
It's just an option, or you may be up against one of those characters you happen to be failing to CG that day.

r3d d09

Smash Master
... if you were failing to CG them during that day. the odds of grabbing them on the edge to where you can spike them is very low. if you're going to go for a fair thing, just go f/d throw to fair to Fsmash. of IB lock.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Spiking is pretty meh in my experience fighting as and against ICs, at least if the opponent knows how to DI.

My question is, why does bthrow seem so specific/damanding? Imo some require that smooth glide over,and I can do that consitantly on one side but it feels that either the other side is more tweaked/I feel a little uncomfortable doing it to the other side, whereas if I try doing alternating dthrows, I only have to time for flicking down + grab and if I want to switch to the other side I can pivot grab easier then I can trying to do bthrow on half the chars I try it on. I must be doing something wrong, it seems only really easy on the spacies and a few other chars lol.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Thats is good for racking up damage and it you want to kill. Replace squall for fsmash. They might be able to roll away I'm not sure. I'll test it out
if they tech/di then you'll be doing an empty fsmash. with squall, they get damaged and then knocked into the air for a follow up (generally uair).

very rarely will you be able to land fsmash on even bad players, and you will NEVER land fthrow -> fair -> fsmash on anybody whos decent. you need attacks that are fast, do damage, and combo. ICs have a lot of those, like all of their aerials (except fair).

Smoom77

Smash Master
I don't really care if I'm doubling posting, but I want to discuss something.

I've been looking at

hobbling on edge>footstool.

You can get your opponent below the bottom of FD with this, and could gimp many characters with bad vertical recoveries like bowser, DK, olimar (after footstool, just grab ledge), link, and more.

Imma try to get some videos, but I'm not sure if I can record them. Can someone do that for me?

Edit: After looking at this more, you can kill many people at ZERO with this! It's just precise timing on the second footstool.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I don't really care if I'm doubling posting, but I want to discuss something.

I've been looking at

hobbling on edge>footstool.

You can get your opponent below the bottom of FD with this, and could gimp many characters with bad vertical recoveries like bowser, DK, olimar (after footstool, just grab ledge), link, and more.

Imma try to get some videos, but I'm not sure if I can record them. Can someone do that for me?

Or you know, you could just infinite.

I dont get why people would want to not infinite when they have the chance.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Look at my edit. Why infinite when you can just gimp them with one footstool+edge guard? You could alt to the edge, then hobble>footstool.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Look at my edit. Why infinite when you can just gimp them with one footstool+edge guard? You could alt to the edge, then hobble>footstool.
Because to have time to hobble, your opp needs to be already at high %, because its slow as hell.

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
So i was wondering what kind of options i have on neutral's against snake's who grenade after any attack and never approach (unless it's a morter catching a grenade).

For example:
Snake camp's, eventually i get in range to hit him but i'm still outside of F-tilt range

He just goes into shield with a grenade then spotdodges and gets another or drops one into a roll backwards, or he F-tilts once and pulls a grenade or does it twice and pulls a grenade.

After any attack on my part, b is mashed to get a grenade out regardless of what i just did (ie. Perfectly spaced bair he still pulls a grenade even if i hit him away) so this stops even slightly mispaced blizzards/squalls.

What should I do since trading hits with snake is horrendously horrible?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You have to use your Ice Blocks wisely and gain stage position on him slowly. Try forcing or hitting him into the air, where you can rack on damage quick with uairs. Learn how to chaingrab quickly to get away from nades making use of pivots. Airdodges are key in this match-up. They get you grabs. You can squall the top of his shield if he drops a nade without blowing up the nade and it usually shield pokes which pops him up for uairs.

You just have to be really really really careful, react to his grabs so he can't start bthrowing both your climbers to death, cg away from nades, keep him in the air or scared of grabs on the ground, punish his approaches if he ever does, do not mess up chaingrabs.

r3d d09

Smash Master
this isn't a neutral, but it's amazing. the instant throw.
one of my buddies does it and i believe it would be very useful against snakes nades, if you keep track of the time on the nade to be able to throw it back at him.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Did anyone know that a SH+buffered IB>iceblock can desync? I sorta assumed this was known and never said anything.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Start practicing Chaingrabbing marth cuz he is pretty much average in weight between all the characters. Go into training mode and sit there and grab marth for hours figuring out and memorizing the timing. I personally like to Dthrow to Fthrow. But its all personal preference.

-When you Dthrow Marth, Watch for the bounce when he hits the ground, thats about the time you wanna press grab again.
-When you Fthrow Marth, Watch for when the Climbers hammer is about to connect to marth, Cause thats about the time you are going to want to press grab again.

As your practicing keep in mind that everytime you do a throw, make popo or nana walk forward a little bit so you can catch them when they bounce or fly in front of you, and you do that by barely moving your control stick forward.
So basically how i do it, its like this, I Grab Marth, press Down on my Control stick to Dthrow him, While Popo is in the animation of Dthrowing Marth, I barely press forward on the control stick to make Nana walk up a little bit and at the same time watching for the bounce so i can press grab again to catch Marth with Nana. and then I Slowly move the control stick Left/Right to Fthrow Marth. When Fthrowing Move the control stick slow enough so Popo doesnt dash forward, but fast enough to make him walk forward and have Nana do a Fthrow at the same time (this also takes practice). While Popo is walking forward watch for Nana's hammer to almost connect with Marth and then press grab for the catch with Popo. Then Repeat the process. :)

Once you start to get 1 character down. The other ones will slowly become easier and soon you will be able to just look at a character and get a good idea on how fast your throws are gonna come out and about what time you should press grab. IC's CG's are a lot different then Pikachu's CG's lol. But i wish you luck! :D

r3d d09

Smash Master
I use belay as well. haha. no one expects it. it dominates. i usually wait till i know when they Air Dodge upwards and then hit them so the DI is up. early kill xD

Top Bottom