• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[General] First/Second Party DLC Support Thread

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Given the last Direct's reveal of more DLC coming, I figure it's appropriate to bump this thread. Anyone else feel like Nintendo characters just got a boost in terms of having a chance?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Given the last Direct's reveal of more DLC coming, I figure it's appropriate to bump this thread. Anyone else feel like Nintendo characters just got a boost in terms of having a chance?
Slightly, yes.

For whatever reason I'm having pretty good feelings about the likes of ARMS, Astral Chain, Captain Toad (technically it's own franchise), Paper Mario(again, it's own thing) as well as a few more niche Nintendo series like Chibi-Robo and Rhythm Heaven.

I've lost a bit of confidence in Dixie, Dee and a new Zelda character just due to that "new worlds" thing, and even then Captain Toad and Paper Mario are shaky choices that get by on technicalities.

Galar Pokémon, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Xenoblade X/2 probably got a small boost too.

Geno and Waluigi may also get in based on their popularity alone though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It really depends on the interpretation of the “adding new worlds” quote from the Banjo-Kazooie presentation. I do hope for more first party characters, especially since I haven’t been familiar with any of the DLC picks so far other than Banjo. It’s been a pretty underwhelming cycle so far.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've lost a bit of confidence in Dixie, Dee and a new Zelda character just due to that "new worlds" thing, and even then Captain Toad and Paper Mario are shaky choices that get by on technicalities.
It really depends on the interpretation of the “adding new worlds” quote from the Banjo-Kazooie presentation. I do hope for more first party characters, especially since I haven’t been familiar with any of the DLC picks so far other than Banjo. It’s been a pretty underwhelming cycle so far.
You do realize that this "new worlds" thing was a mistranslation? I don't have the exact PushDustin tweet on hand right now, but the original was really just talking about new additions to Smash in general, I believe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they wanna throw in some Echoes/Semi clones then Black Shadow, Impa, Medusa and Octoling are safe bets

andree123

Smash Ace
Sylux and Porky might be the first two to be released after the fighters pass, but chances of assists and spirits (+ their mii costume counterparts) upgrading into playable is increased a lot.
For whatever reason I'm having pretty good feelings about the likes of ARMS, Astral Chain, Captain Toad (technically it's own franchise), Paper Mario(again, it's own thing) as well as a few more niche Nintendo series like Chibi-Robo and Rhythm Heaven.
I don't think we're getting Astral Chain rep as one of the fighters, it feels like it is going to be a DLC mii costume instead, just like Rex and other mid-late 2017 characters before the announcement of more DLC fighters coming after the fighters pass.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You do realize that this "new worlds" thing was a mistranslation? I don't have the exact PushDustin tweet on hand right now, but the original was really just talking about new additions to Smash in general, I believe.
I was not actually. Well I heard, but everyone is still talking as if it's legit so I assumed something had come along to prove otherwise.

This changes a fair few things! I guess the likes of Dee, Dixie and Rex are pretty likely too then.

Sylux and Porky might be the first two to be released after the fighters pass, but chances of assists and spirits (+ their mii costume counterparts) upgrading into playable is increased a lot.

I don't think we're getting Astral Chain rep as one of the fighters, it feels like it is going to be a DLC mii costume instead, just like Rex and other mid-late 2017 characters before the announcement of more DLC fighters coming after the fighters pass.
I do see what you mean about Astral Chain being possibly too new as it's also an untested IP. What are your opinion on the chances on characters like Byleth and say Grookey who are also new but from proven franchises?

Also whilst we're at it: I know of Porky's importance but what of Sylux?
The only thing I keep hearing is he MIGHT be important in Metroid Prime 4 when it eventually comes out. Is there more to him than the promise of future importance?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm literally using him as an example I've seen thrown around a dozen times.
Yeah, sorry. I just don't want Pokemon speculation to be taken over by a grass starter again. They might even have the next Pokemon rep be the extreme opposite of Incineroar, hell if "new demographics" are really a big concern still then the next Pokemon might be chosen because they're extremely popular but not as a Smash request.

Anyway, regarding whether or not Nintendo characters have a better chance, I think you should look at the seasons of other fighting games and see how they're not consistent in what their content is. SFV wasn't one SF veteran after another just because season 1 was.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My top 3 Nintendo-owned characters are

- Meowth alone or paired with Ekans & Koffing or Arbok & Weezing (Team Rocket)
- Toad / Captain Toad (one is default, the other is alternate costume)
- Dixie Kong alone or paired with Kiddy Kong

P47

Smash Apprentice
Sylux is not important in any way.
People are speculating that he'll be the villain of Prime 4 (and iirc past games have teased that he'll have a larger role in the future) but I don't think he has any kind of shot until that game gets much, much further in development (and even then there's the whole issue of Metroid games not doing well in Japan).

UserKev

Smash Champion
The only first-second party I see in this DLC wave is honestly Porky. I'm just going to take the "Introduce more gaming worlds" as more outside picks.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Pauline, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Impa, Midna & Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Revali, Zoroark, Gen 8 Pokémon, Bandana Waddle Dee, Krystal, Black Shadow, Ninten, Rex & Pyra, Octoling, Isaac, Spring Man, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter (reverse Little Mac), Excitebiker, Chorus Kids, Dillon.
And half of Geno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom