• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GDC 2008: Sakurai's Speech...delayed in a way

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's speech isn't until Friday. Oops.

Here's the information pulled from GDC's site:

Development - SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
Speaker: Masahiro Sakurai (Designer and Director, Sora Ltd.)
Date/Time: Friday (February 22, 2008) 10:30am — 11:30am
Location (room): Room 135, North Hall
Track: Game Design
Experience Level: All

Session Description
One of the strengths of Nintendo is its great number of character franchises. SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL builds on this legacy by providing a unique experience for Wii, leveraging many popular characters from the history of Nintendo and beyond. However, integrating so many different characters, each with its own personality, is no easy task, especially when characters from other publishers are willing to join the brawl. The man behind SMASH BROS., Masahiro Sakurai, discusses how he has approached this unique game series.
What do you hope to hear?

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I mean in a way because I've noticed people (not here...but this is the only site I'm a member of) expecting his speech today. I know it isn't delayed really, just in people's expectations. It's delayed from a certain point of view.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I would like to hear who he talks about in terms of the "almost made it, but not quite" list of characters. I hope that Claus / Masked Man is on said list.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You guys do realize that this is a closed speech, private, and is part of the more expensive packages for GDC right? This is not the keynote.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I'm not expecting any new info.

If there is, however... that'd be awesome.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Giving another delay. That would suck so much, but it would make me laugh so hard.

But seriously, DLC. The Wii is clearly capable, as evidenced by VC games and downloadable stages into some games (Albeit user-created).

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Awesome, just found out that if you want to buy the mp3 of his speech it's only $7.95. I'll probably buy that. Well, if they price it the same as GDC 2007 and if Sakurai makes it available anyway. Hopefully it's dubbed well? >_> I wonder who his translator will be.

Reed

Smash Rookie
That he messed up with his first try and that the American one will have wavedashing and shffling in it, along with DLC. In DLC you can not only dl stages but also charictors and charictor outfits. (Sonic (black) Marth (Roy) Ike (Dark Knight) MK (No Mask) and so on)

Revven

FrankerZ
Awesome, just found out that if you want to buy the mp3 of his speech it's only $7.95. I'll probably buy that. Well, if they price it the same as GDC 2007 and if Sakurai makes it available anyway. Hopefully it's dubbed well? >_> I wonder who his translator will be.
It'd be nice if you downloaded it and then uploaded it for everyone to listen to it (if it's available). :)

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
It will be information we already know with a lame demonstration(plz god let me be wrong)
Na, but it will likely be just about as uninteresting. Since it's the Game Developer's Conference, I expect it will be a lot of techno-babble, alot of self patting on the back, and perhaps a mention of "oh, there were alot of characters we wanted in Brawl but we took them out."

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i hope he says something about downloadable characters...wait i sound like the 50 other people that said that already...nothing then i guess.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
It will be information we already know with a lame demonstration(plz god let me be wrong)
Actually, I think it'll be information we DON'T know about how it was that they actually pulled this game off. It won't be new news, but it will be new and interesting information about the development process.

Of course the people here screaming about DLC will be wrong.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Personally, I want to know if he has any plans to pass the reigns to the franchise to anyone else. Also, I'd like to know why he chose the characters that he did for the ATs. I've pretty much figured out why he chose the characters that he did for the playable roster (mostly characters that were left on the cutting room floor with Melee and those that were basically "required" like Ike and Lucario to represent the most recent generations) but now I'm curious about the ATs. Was this there one time in the sun or did he intend them to have playable roles in the future? (Granted, some of them obviously won't become playable but some like Isaac and Ray 01 seem reasonable.)

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
You guys do realize that this is a closed speech, private, and is part of the more expensive packages for GDC right? This is not the keynote.
Of course...however, there WILL be journalists who go...and because it is their job, they will tell us. It's likely we will know by 3:00 in the afternoon or so if they aren't liveblogging.

Gymclass_Hero

Smash Cadet
Bet he's gonna talk about the work that was put into the game, and his retirement from the smash series D:.

*crosses fingers for DLC*

Top Bottom