• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's platform/wave-landing

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I've been working on Ganon's platform game a bit and I have few questions:

1. I'm looking for visual cues for when to air-dodge into a platform. Doing it from the ground is simple enough (just line up Ganon's left foot with the platform, so it looks as i he could stand on it and air-dodge horizontally), but what about when I'm already in the air? (As in platform dashing across the three platforms in DL64)?

2. Along the same lines, are there any visual cues for wave-landing? Mine seem to be so jerky, but I know perfect ones are possible.

Thank you for your time.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Just when your about to touch the platform, you could try to horizontal it, or you could try using diagonal, which will prove the best results.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
At first, I just watched for when Ganon's knees where just above the platform. Now I've gotten it down to the timing.

Furthermore, at DL64, just air dodge at the peak of your full jump to platform dash the first platform. If you jump immediately when you fall off that platfrom, Ganon should DJ to the second and as soon as his whole body is just above the platform you should airdodge (He should be in his flipping animation). Finally, for the third platform, you should fast fall before you waveland it. That last one takes more practice.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
I do it when his feet are IN the platform. Now it's all timing since you can't be looking at yourself while doing ANYTHING and expect to win.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Double jumping tucks Ganon into a nice ball making it easier and faster for your wavelanding pleasure IMF (yes that is in my fact).

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for tips everyone.

I intend to get this into muscle memory eventually, I'm just using this a a basis of practice
Thanks again.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Double jumping tucks Ganon into a nice ball making it easier and faster for your wavelanding pleasure IMF (yes that is in my fact).
Yeah I agree. I don't think there are any visual clues but the best way is to jump (or double jump) in such a way that the platform is lined up with the apex of Ganon's jump, or close to the apex. The slower Ganon is moving vertically, the better.

Magus420

Smash Master
Most platforms have a reliable combination of shorthopping forward/back, full jumping forward/back, and double jumping forward/back that will cause you to land on the platform without the white puff of smoke when you land on it. When you land on platforms like this you can get an automatic horizontal waveland with that combination on that platform. Some I can think of off the top of my head (when I say forward I mean anything but backward as straight up is the same animation as forward):

DL64 - Lower: Full jump forward; Upper: Full jump DJ forward at peak; Lower -> Upper: DJ (either way can work) just after falling off from the Lower waveland

Poke Stadium - Main Platforms: Instant DJ forward from ground (this one is extremely quick); Water Lower one I think?: Same as the main platforms; There's others too here but I forget

FoD - Can't think of the specifics, but from what I remember there is a set combo for every height variation of the side platforms except the very lowest position. The second lowest height is a forward shorthop (maybe backwards too).

I'm sure there are others too you can figure out =D

If you're wavelanding onto something from above you should learn to fastfall into it as it generally makes it easier to do them more horizontally. Double jumping forward into a fastfall to do them is really easy to get them horizontal in the beginning, but you should learn to do them normally as wasting your DJ isn't a good idea particularly if you end up getting hit out of it into a juggle :urg:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
basically what you have to do for platform dashing is look where is higher foot is

once that touches the platform, you can do the platform dash

after that, just get used to the timing

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
For wavelanding onto platforms and the ground, I find it really helpful to, before landing, to fastfall and then flick it horizontally. This, with a little bit timing, ends up giving relatively easy wavelands that looks to be perfect or near-perfect.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I simply kept practicing it till I stopped messing up. I'd do it, "mostly" needlessly, between deaths and when messing around with computers just so I could do it flawlessly when needed.

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Furthermore, at DL64, just air dodge at the peak of your full jump to platform dash the first platform. If you jump immediately when you fall off that platfrom, Ganon should DJ to the second and as soon as his whole body is just above the platform you should airdodge (He should be in his flipping animation). Finally, for the third platform, you should fast fall before you waveland it. That last one takes more practice.
Follow this explanation.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Yeah, the third platform is usually the one I mess up on by Air-dodging to high up.

Top Bottom