• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf trouble

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
well I'm having trouble with a Ganondorf, despite what the matchup is. I find it very difficult to approach him, on ground it just doesn't happen; he simply spotdodges and uses his A attack or that diving grab. Even if i run at him then dodge behind him he always seems to come out on top. And it seems he can out do my ariel approaches on ground somehow.
The knee is brutally outranged by his f-tilt, which he has no trouble using.
his B-air also seems to be out ranged, and it somehow puts me in a really awkward situation, even if it hits him.
his f-tilt outranges n-air also, and outproiritizes it

Its the situations where we are far away from each other that is bad. He can shield both my long ranged moves, and he can punish them both extremely well. whereas, I can only spotdodge, or im left very open to the diving grab (which has like 0 ending lag)

So what should i do. Any way i look at it, he always seems to be in the better situation.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Feint>Dash Attack>Grab>Fthrow>Dash Attack>Uair

Really, just dash forward and backwards until he attacks, and then punish him.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well I'm having trouble with a Ganondorf, despite what the matchup is. I find it very difficult to approach him, on ground it just doesn't happen; he simply spotdodges and uses his A attack or that diving grab. Even if i run at him then dodge behind him he always seems to come out on top. And it seems he can out do my ariel approaches on ground somehow.
The knee is brutally outranged by his f-tilt, which he has no trouble using.
his B-air also seems to be out ranged, and it somehow puts me in a really awkward situation, even if it hits him.
his f-tilt outranges n-air also, and outproiritizes it

Its the situations where we are far away from each other that is bad. He can shield both my long ranged moves, and he can punish them both extremely well. whereas, I can only spotdodge, or im left very open to the diving grab (which has like 0 ending lag)

So what should i do. Any way i look at it, he always seems to be in the better situation.
Sounds like your opponent is a good player, and you're predictable.

Simple spotdodge counter: run past, Z+back (hit Z first)

Or you can try dash pivot cancel (run at him, hold back for about half a second so it looks like you're gonna try to run away, then interrupt it and run forward+dash attack/grab/use an aerial)

You may be trying to use the Knee at the wrong times. Try jumping at him, fast falling, then double jumping and fast falling a knee at his reaction movement. Or just use it off-stage.

Also, try walking and tilting.

Face124

Smash Ace
Sounds like your opponent is a good player, and you're predictable.

Simple spotdodge counter: run past, Z+back (hit Z first)

Or you can try dash pivot cancel (run at him, hold back for about half a second so it looks like you're gonna try to run away, then interrupt it and run forward+dash attack/grab/use an aerial)

You may be trying to use the Knee at the wrong times. Try jumping at him, fast falling, then double jumping and fast falling a knee at his reaction movement. Or just use it off-stage.

Also, try walking and tilting.
Do you mean jumping and FF the landing, or jumping again before i land?

and when you say spotdodge counter, do you mean spotdodge then punish him?

It seems like from both of your advice i should be baiting an attack then punishing him

Tenki

Smash Hero
Jumping before you 'land'/get in range for him to attack. It's a simple double jump feint, and you don't necessarily have to use knee either.

by spotdodge counter, I meant it's a movement that counters a spotdodge.

And yes, I am implying you should be baiting and punishing.
It sounds like you're just being baited and punished really well and haven't caught on to it.

Smash Apprentice
Just try not to attack him, you both rely just on bait and punish tactics.
My friends playing a really good Ganondorf and the only things I'm doing is grab and bait, also jab and Uair are pretty good, rest is useless.

Roager

Smash Ace
Well, uh, Ganny has no projectiles. You could try forcing him to approach you. I mean, Falcon trying to defend approaches is hardly a good thing, but maybe the Ganny you've been playing focuses on destroying approaches, and he's not that good at actually approaching.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Well, uh, Ganny has no projectiles. You could try forcing him to approach you. I mean, Falcon trying to defend approaches is hardly a good thing, but maybe the Ganny you've been playing focuses on destroying approaches, and he's not that good at actually approaching.
I like that options puts yourself in the defensive position plus it give you time to say Show ya moves Come on. I don't see Ganon as a tough match BUT I haven't fought a good Ganon either so yes.

Tenki

Smash Hero
thanks guys, i played the ganondorf and one! it was only by a small bit but still. One thing is i find it hard to edgegaurd him, because of his up-b. any tips on that?
try edgehogging (run off the edge and immediately do a down-back quarter circle on your control stick), and when he passes you (he's probably going to land on the stage now), hit back to release the ledge, and double jump back onto the stage with B-air to knock him back out.

Face124

Smash Ace
try edgehogging (run off the edge and immediately do a down-back quarter circle on your control stick), and when he passes you (he's probably going to land on the stage now), hit back to release the ledge, and double jump back onto the stage with B-air to knock him back out.
i've done that before, but without grabbing the ledge like that, in fact, i do it quite a lot. I find it hard to do the whole quarter circle thing though

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
G-dorf is really weird cause he can be extremely easy or hard, depending on how well the player is

the main reason why I do horrible (in some situations) against G-dorf is because I let my frustration and cockyness get ahead of me. All you need to do in the match is wait, punish, and gimp. honestly what I do is just wait until the time is right to attack.

Top Bottom