• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf 2.1-3.0 Video Archive [Closed]

j-slo-3

Smash Cadet
Ganoncide 2scary the video couldn't handle it
Though seriously what happened there, don't recall that skip happening on stream

Anywho, the commentators mostly covered any of the mistakes or problems in your matches.
You Wizard Footed onto the stage a couple of time randomly, which is never a good idea unless you're ledge-cancelling it, or you know for certain you're gonna hit them cause you're right on top of them.
You also started using a bunch of fsmashes at one point, which, as the commentators pointed out, doesn't kill till really late. imo it's a just not worth using.
Also get your teching down, those missed techs costed you a lot.

Dat Samurai Champloo music on FD
Also dat wall/ledge tech, what even is physics
lol ikr! only M2K would tech that, and then recover on the other side of the stage

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Stomping Roy when he up B's to the stage destroys the physics engine. Same exact thing happened in friendlies the other night, I'm so glad there's an actual recording of that moment happening now LOL

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Here are some things that I saw that you could improve on:

-Work on your edgeguarding. Edgeguarding is one of Ganon's strong points. Bair is a really good edgeguarding tool as well as reverse upairs. Against Captain Falcon, you should really be converting almost every edgeguard into a kill because of Falcon's easily intercepted recovery.

-Use more tilts. I'm pretty sure you didn't use f-tilt once which is one of Ganon's best moves.

-Use more auto-cancelled nairs. Nair is really solid move now in PM. It retained its lenient auto-cancel window from Melee, but now the hitboxes stay out way longer.

-Use auto-cancelled nairs in conjunction with tilts and jabs. Auto-cancelled nairs allow you to throw out jabs, f-tilts, and d-tilts very quickly after the nair.

-Convert more off of your punishes. at 1:38 you hit him with the grounded part of your down-b which popped him up perfectly in front of you, at high percent, and off the stage. All you had to do was run up and upair him or even just f-tilt him and he would have had no chance of survival. Instead you down-smashed him (which might not have killed even if he had been hit by the second hit of it.) and launched right into the middle of the stage. Your decisions on what moves to use will improve over time as long as you try to notice how different moves work against characters with different fall speeds and weights and what followups are possible at different percents.

-Work on your movement. This is something that you can pretty much always improve on, no matter what level you're at. Work on incorporating wavelands, dash dancing, and wavedashes into your movement. Having greater control of your movement allows you to space better, bait out bad approaches better, continue combos better, and approach better. An easy time to work on your movement is to just do it after every stock you take. I don't even own a CRT so I don't practice tech skill at home, but my movement and tech skill got much better after I started to just waveland and dash dance and wavedash a bunch after every stock I took in friendlies and tournament. As of right now, you seem to taunt after every kill, which is fine and all if you're really trying to style on them, but I think you're going to be better served in improving by working on your movement mid-match. Heck, I spam wavelands whenever I knock my opponent far off stage and I'm waiting for them to recover.

Errrr... Wow. I wrote a crap ton more than I thought I would. Anyways, don't think that I'm trying to just tear down your Ganon or anything, these are just things that from my experience would help you out if you improved on them. I did see some good things. You were making some promising decisions. At 1:29 you had him offstage and you saw that he recovered high and went for the down-b, which would have been a good decision, had you not taunted and made it so you were slightly too far away. That stomp to uptilt was nasty. The ending was a really nice bit of flash as well. Damn, I'm never posting on smashboards while intoxicated again. I just wrote so much crap.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
You're drunk? That has to be the most coherent post I've ever read from someone who's drunk.

iHook

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/supersmashbroswiiu/b/528039007

This is a past broadcast from my Twitch channel, where I frequently play Gannon.

Feel free to watch the whole thing (or just follow my channel for lots of Gannon Hype) but my matches specifically during this session are: 11:45-15:05, 15:10-18:10, 18:30-21:20, 23:00-25:35, 23:10-28:30 (This game involves some vulgar language, but is also the most interesting because of dealing with Mario's Fireballs), 1:09:45-1:13:00, 1:13:18-1:17:15, 1:40:00-1:42:10, 1:42:30-1:46:45, 1:47:10-1:50:10. There are more matches on that broadcast, but this should keep you all busy for a while ;)

Any feedback or input is appreciated, enjoy.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Do you have an unused jump button? I never used X for anything so I switched it to shield and it makes powershielding way easier. With that button layout, I powershield fireballs easily. Also, stop trying to flame choke people who are on the ground. It don't work.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Here's my set against G-Rabbit.

http://youtu.be/KMBrvpOcxtY?t=10m53s

I really need to figure out how to punish dash attack and horizontal cutter antics better. I need to fear the kirbycides more, but I feel like I did a better job of that later in the set. Also, what stages should I be taking Kirby too? He banned all of the ones that I would liked to have gone to, and Dave's stupid rule kept me from running it back to Battlefield, so I just went to PS2, even though I don't really like that stage for Ganon.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
:GCD::GCB:
More seriously your problem is positionning : you start dashes and dash dances in places where you can't really react when Kirby does a dash attack or an upBside. My advice is that you try to hold more horizontal space between Kirby and you, and if you get caught in a dash try to SH backwards or simply shield.

but yeah, if Kirby gets really cocky with his stuff just boot him in the face. Down B will beat both options, and it hits deceptively high so it'll hit his horizontal cutters.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
:GCD::GCB:
More seriously your problem is positionning : you start dashes and dash dances in places where you can't really react when Kirby does a dash attack or an upBside. My advice is that you try to hold more horizontal space between Kirby and you, and if you get caught in a dash try to SH backwards or simply shield.

but yeah, if Kirby gets really cocky with his stuff just boot him in the face. Down B will beat both options, and it hits deceptively high so it'll hit his horizontal cutters.
I started trying to use down-b's to punish the dash attacks off of the platforms at the very end of the set, but at that point he just started using horizontal cutters above me. Wiz kicks don't' cover Ganon's top half and G-Rabbit knows better than to do grounded horizontal cutters against Ganon. He pretty much only used them when he was above me so his cutter would hit, but his body was over my head, so he would be safe from wiz kicks.

I've started picking up Pikachu lately and I think I'll just use him in this match-up from now on because avoiding dash attacks and cutters with dash dancing and then just upsmashing is way easier than doing it with Ganon lol

iHook

Smash Cadet
Is the start up on Kirby side cutter long enough that you can do SH Uair with Gannon to punish? Does it trade? I will have to test this later.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Is the start up on Kirby side cutter long enough that you can do SH Uair with Gannon to punish? Does it trade? I will have to test this later.
When I tried to catch it with nairs, they just got stuffed, but I'm not sure on the Uairs. I'd imagine that it would probably trade, though. I was able to hit him out of it with fair a time or two, but those were off of hard reads and are unreliable at best.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Good games!

I noticed that you used a lot of u-smash out of d-throw, which is fairly difficult to land, not to mention a little less effective than a fair or bair I believe. Lucas is easier to kill horizontally than off the top, with the worst case scenario being that you get the opportunity to edge guard. You also went for a lot of u-smash in neutral, which I personally wouldn't recommend, but you weren't really being punished for it as far as I can recall (the move doesn't have THAT much end lag), so it wasn't really a problem.

Last edited:

j-slo-3

Smash Cadet
Good games!

I noticed that you used a lot of u-smash out of d-throw, which is fairly difficult to land, not to mention a little less effective than a fair or bair I believe. Lucas is easier to kill horizontally than off the top, with the worst case scenario being that you get the opportunity to edge guard. You also went for a lot of u-smash in neutral, which I personally wouldn't recommend, but you weren't really being punished for it as far as I can recall (the move doesn't have THAT much end lag), so it wasn't really a problem.
Thanks! But yea I would agree I use up smash a little much, some of those up smashes were supposed to be up airs that I messed up on, and the ones in neutral were DACUS'S that I like to throw out probably sometimes too much lol, but as you said I don't get punished for it often.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
A few things I noticed:

1. Like Headcrab said, you use a little too much up smash. For example, there were several times where you tried to u-smash the Lucas through the platform, but he shielded it and got a free ride off the platform because of the shield knock back. That probably shouldn't happen. People shouldn't be able to get off a platform without taking some form of damage when you're playing as Ganondorf.
2. Most of the time, when the Lucas was using PK Freeze, he was doing it at ground level. That means that you could have Wiz Kicked each and every one of them. Now, I'm not saying do that every time. There eventually comes a point where your opponent will purposefully bait it out of you because you use it to punish their puny projectiles so much.
3. You would definitely benefit from learning how to waveland. Personally, one of my favorite things to do is jump above a platform to make my opponent feel relatively safe approaching only to waveland to the platform's edge and dunk him. They're left flying through the air thinking, "HOW ON EARTH DID HE MOVE LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?"

Favorite quote from you match: "THAT WAS DIRTY!!!"

j-slo-3

Smash Cadet
A few things I noticed:

1. Like Headcrab said, you use a little too much up smash. For example, there were several times where you tried to u-smash the Lucas through the platform, but he shielded it and got a free ride off the platform because of the shield knock back. That probably shouldn't happen. People shouldn't be able to get off a platform without taking some form of damage when you're playing as Ganondorf.
2. Most of the time, when the Lucas was using PK Freeze, he was doing it at ground level. That means that you could have Wiz Kicked each and every one of them. Now, I'm not saying do that every time. There eventually comes a point where your opponent will purposefully bait it out of you because you use it to punish their puny projectiles so much.
3. You would definitely benefit from learning how to waveland. Personally, one of my favorite things to do is jump above a platform to make my opponent feel relatively safe approaching only to waveland to the platform's edge and dunk him. They're left flying through the air thinking, "HOW ON EARTH DID HE MOVE LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?"

Favorite quote from you match: "THAT WAS DIRTY!!!"
Thanks for the critiques I will keep them in mind. I do know how to wave land I just need to incorporate it into my game more, It's just that during the pressure of a match sometimes I just don't really think about it.

MerzA

Smash Cadet
Just competed at my first national and I had to play Arty in my pool... TWICE! He knocked me into losers and I had to play him again in loser's finals to make it out of pools... and he bopped me both times.

We played the second match on stream, the first match was actually a lot tighter, except I SD'd once in each of those games. Playing on stage is actually a lot more intense than I was expecting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUcoDbb2DE

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Just competed at my first national and I had to play Arty in my pool... TWICE! He knocked me into losers and I had to play him again in loser's finals to make it out of pools... and he bopped me both times.

We played the second match on stream, the first match was actually a lot tighter, except I SD'd once in each of those games. Playing on stage is actually a lot more intense than I was expecting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUcoDbb2DE
I guess I'm not the only one that struggles fighting my own character...

Last edited:

MerzA

Smash Cadet
I guess I'm not the only one that struggles fighting my own character...
Honestly I don't understand why but I tend to lose in the ditto against friends who aren't nearly as good as I am with dorf. Like I'll beat all their other characters, then they switch to dorf and It'll be dead even or I'll drop a couple games...

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't understand why but I tend to lose in the ditto against friends who aren't nearly as good as I am with dorf. Like I'll beat all their other characters, then they switch to dorf and It'll be dead even or I'll drop a couple games...
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one...

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Here's a set of mine against Austin's up and coming Mewtwo, Beard! Check out his set in grand finals against Sethlon at this tournament as well. It was definitely the most hype grand finals we've had here in Austin yet.

Also, if you have an unused jump button. Try mapping it to shield. I used to use X for footstooling, but I never really used it. Once I started using X to try and powershield, I became WAYYYY more consistent with my powershields. Got proof of it with my set right here.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Fighting Ganon is a very different game compared to anyone else. My brother is also an exclusive main who crumbles against my Ganon, even he's better than me and I don't play the character at all. When I switch to Ganon I still have my experience against a Ganon, while my foe is not used to having his own devastating tricks turned against him.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Footstool is too good, every Ganon should use it. As for shielding - one might take the spring outta L or R and powershield as flawlessly as with X/Y.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I hate Ganon dittos in tournaments. It's one of the most volatile match ups. Ganon punishes himself way too well. All it takes to lose the momentum of a stock (worst case, a match) is a stray hit. Play it safe at a distance since Ganon's low mobility can make it difficult for him to get follow ups. Once you win in neutral, go for grabs and get easy chain grabs. Only play on small stages if you're supremely confident in the ditto.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
Just updated the threads with all the new videos from within the last like year glad this threads still alive lol

Love seeing all the new videos I recently just started playing after taking a long vacation due to work & life

I'll definitely have to study up on these Gdorf videos and see how the meta has evolved

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l-WdZxoefA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTQbdIWXU6U

Some matches I had earlier, I usually play a load with my main, but I wasn't in the mood for a ditto so switched to my secondary.

Some of my mistakes I tend to clean up once I get a good warm up, specifically techs and L cancels. On the other hand though, I do have issues, not so much with characters, but players. My worst matchups so far have been falco and toon link, I can't seem for the life of me get through a barrage of projectiles. As for these matches, I don't know who he is, but I know I'm predictable to a degree. I need tips on what to and what not to do, he's my favorite character out of nintends's franchise, and I'd like to keep him in my arsenal as my main, but my god he's not an easy character to move around with. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
First tip:

Ban FD because **** that stage as Ganon. Platforms are your friend when playing as Ganon because platforms let you waveland more and wavelands are good. Plus, Ganon benefits from being able to get underneath people that are on platforms.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, glad to see this updated and all, but can I not be listed as "Hungry Headcrap" please?

K thx bai.
Wow I'm sorry man that was a really fail typo by me lol
I did this in a bit of a hurry
didn't mean to offend <3

Last edited:

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
First tip:

Ban FD because **** that stage as Ganon. Platforms are your friend when playing as Ganon because platforms let you waveland more and wavelands are good. Plus, Ganon benefits from being able to get underneath people that are on platforms.
Tend to pick it when I first start with ganon just to see what they're capable of without the platforms, I wasn't expecting him to pick the same stage we just finished on. From what you're saying though, I guess i'll keep trying to bring that wave game up to par.

Bazkip

Smash Master
First tip:

I wasn't thinking and left FD open when I was playing a Samus the other day. I hated life for the few minutes that lasted.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I wasn't thinking and left FD open when I was playing a Samus the other day. I hated life for the few minutes that lasted.
FD is actually an alright pick versus Samus in my opinion since she takes advantage of platforms really well. Missile canceling is easily thrice as scary when platforms are involved.

That said, Ganon loves platforms. So it's kind of a pick your poison type scenario.

Top Bottom