• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon META Thread : discussions and suggestions go here !

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I like wavelanding behind them and grabbing them too. I'm pretty sure it can be shield grabbed, but it looks neat when you pull it off

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
is useful info ever saved for future reference here, like useful strats and tips?
i recently remember some guy posting in a ganon thread months back how you could jab and grab from a crouch by holding the stick at a down away angle. that's critical info in my opinion but i bet no one ever saved it for future reference.
saving useful info needs to be a thing, and if its already a thing it needs to be a more important thing.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Well, the downback-grab jab thing is universal, though a compendium for the random tidbits people have wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Ganondorf's new groove is awesome. The new dodges and Neutral-B really make him seem more like himself.
Because of this new direction, I fell the need to express a purely aesthetic idea I've had to break the finals links chaining Ganondorf to "shaped like Captain Falcon." That is, to visually alter Wizard's Foot so it becomes a bat-transformation.
At the beginning of the move, Ganondorf is obscured in a poof of smoke, and a giant flaming demonic bat (covering Ganon's hurtboxes) erupts from it, before disappearing in another poof.

From

to something like

GoldenFalchion

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenFalchion
Is fire cooler than gliding on pure darkness, though?
fire is pretty hot, so nope

Bazkip

Smash Master
Ganondorf's new groove is awesome. The new dodges and Neutral-B really make him seem more like himself.
Because of this new direction, I fell the need to express a purely aesthetic idea I've had to break the finals links chaining Ganondorf to "shaped like Captain Falcon." That is, to visually alter Wizard's Foot so it becomes a bat-transformation.
At the beginning of the move, Ganondorf is obscured in a poof of smoke, and a giant flaming demonic bat (covering Ganon's hurtboxes) erupts from it, before disappearing in another poof.

From

to something like
Better idea
Shape the purple magic stuff to look like a horse, based off Ganon's steed

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah. you might need to hold slightly above the down/back notch, though? i need to go practice tech skill and work on some raw data for future use, so if that happens i'll make sure to look into this.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
debug mode is being a punkass. i turn it on, turn on hitboxes (so i can get an idea about when hitstun is over, etc...) and keep it on for frame advance. then i go and do my flamechoke and mash through the six hitboxes that appear and start moving forward so i can buffer in options to activate first frame that ganon is free. but, it only seems to actually buffer the attacks about 50% of the time >: /

is there a trick i'm missing to buffering in attacks during frame advance? it seems to have no issue inputting movement and shield whatsoever during frame advance, but if i hold a to try and buffer a jab, half the time it literally just does nothing. ganon stands there, happy as a bird with a french fry, not jabbing...

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Debug doesn't add buffer: it works exactly like regular (except C-stick is wonky).
If you want to attack/special/jump/grab/taunt, you have to input the command on an actionable frame. Holding it doesn't work.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
So, don't know how common knowledge this is, but you can totally ledge drop-jump onstage-bair. Seems mostly niche useful (long conning against sheik recovery to set up for her going high and dropping down to the ledge when you will see ems most obvious), but a pretty awesome option in those sitiations

Edit: holy crap! It also looks like you can do this and have the hitbox come put while still invuln!

Edit2: so, worked out the logistics in debug. You can frame perfect ledge drop, jump, bair, land on stage, and be invinc through your 5frame hard landing. What?! WHAT?!

Last edited:

Mywhy

Smash Cadet
So, don't know how common knowledge this is, but you can totally ledge drop-jump onstage-bair. Seems mostly niche useful (long conning against sheik recovery to set up for her going high and dropping down to the ledge when you will see ems most obvious), but a pretty awesome option in those sitiations

Edit: holy crap! It also looks like you can do this and have the hitbox come put while still invuln!

Edit2: so, worked out the logistics in debug. You can frame perfect ledge drop, jump, bair, land on stage, and be invinc through your 5frame hard landing. What?! WHAT?!
I use this oftenoften to punish tethers during the getup animation.

HiroProtagonist

Smash Apprentice
Idk if anyone else knows this but you can not only jab out of crouch with the back 45*, you can actually down-angled ftilt out of crouch with the forward 45*. The stick angles needed seem a little finnicky but you can definitely do it. I can't really think of any great usages though, maybe you could CC someone's recovery and then f-tilt them? The semi-spike angle would probably kill most characters at med percents if they don't have jumps, but I haven't gone into debug to see if the hitbox would go below stage.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
From anecdotal experience, you can get do d-ftilt below the stage, but you need to be standing about 1.5 ganon lengths away from the ledge, so it becomes less useful to cc their nonsweetspot recovery as opposed to just kicking them out of it with the disjoint.

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
Just realized that Ganon had a jab reset all along. Since like.....forever.

Well, more like kick reset or something. Hit somebody with a reversed U-Air as they are getting ready to hit the ground or as soon as they do, and they'll be forced to get up. A weak hitbox on U-Air makes this an option. More guaranteed to hit with that hitbox if U-Air is reversed. D-Air into reset at early percents pretty much guarantes follow up D-Air/ETC.

I like it better than the cape reset. You can act way faster out of U-Air than you can out of cape. If resetting out of Side-B, you don't even have to reverse the U-Air if the opposing character's model is physically big enough. Jump over them with U-Air and you should hit with the last few frames of the attack.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious. During plenty of matches, I see something resembling a run in place. I thought it was some variant of a moonwalk, but I can't figure out what it is, and I haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone point me the right way?

Mywhy

Smash Cadet
I'm curious. During plenty of matches, I see something resembling a run in place. I thought it was some variant of a moonwalk, but I can't figure out what it is, and I haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone point me the right way?
It's a stickywalk.

Mywhy

Smash Cadet
A stickywalk basically slows down your running animation then you can bring it back to full speed. A moonwalk you actually go backwards. For a stick walk dash then wrap it around the bottom to the other side then back to the original position you dashed. A moonwalk you wrap around the bottom, hold it, then dash again and repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmAv9xvjD4c

Sticky walking has no real purpose but mindgames while moonwalking is helpful in some situations to keep momentum while going backwards. More useful in Melee where there is no RAR but I still can find some uses in PM.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
My friend's recently recommended me to try out Ganondorf in 3.5.

As a Marth main still looking for a secondary character, is Ganondorf a good choice in character to complement Marth?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
if you're wanting a fun character, sure.

if you're looking for a legit secondary to cover marth's weaknesses, probably not.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I feel like I underestimated Ganon a bit in 3.5. SH Nair being the most overlooked part, stupidly good option (why the heck did they buff nair, it was already great). Helps him a ton in neutral and leads into other moves or at least puts them in a crappy position (which he is amazing at exploiting). Combined with the reduced jank levels across the board he's actually pretty ok right now.

You'll always be bottom tier in my heart big guy.

Last edited:

Mywhy

Smash Cadet
Ganon is still good. I feel he's still low tier though. When it comes down to it, the buffs they gave him compared to others that the other characters gained(mainly Melee top tiers) he's still minuscule in comparison to them. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but I've just been losing faith in him.

Top Bottom