• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon META Thread : discussions and suggestions go here !

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
These ideas, theories, strategies.... I cant comprehnd, mind too dumb. I dont know what im doing while I play, I just do it and it works.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Also known as autopilot, it works until a certain level I guess. If your autopilot works on everyone then you're godlike.

Main things I use to get grabs in :
-mixups after jab, simply dashing towards the opponent will make them shield. Mix it up with DA to keep them guessing,
-low % stomps, works on everyone,
-tech chases after side B,
-dash shield to force a spacing mistake from your opponent, doesn't work a lot since Ganon's grab range is ass but still,
-good old running towards a shielding opponent, running through them then pivot grabbing,

I don't always grab, but when I do I JC grab.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Running through shield>pivot grabbing doesnt work for me anymore, good times

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
If the only change he gets is a reasonable grab range, I'll be happy.

On the flip side, after people get used to only getting grabbed at .01 meters grabs like Roy's are pretty surprising.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Had a thought in the shower this morning: What if Ganon's Up-B could be canceled into Side-B? It would give him more range and threat on his recovery with out creating any infinite jumping situations (freefall is still death).

I don't know how it would be accomplished in the game technically, but it might give him a recovery that's not so easily gimped if only for threat of suicides.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sure okay why not, but Ganon's recovery is pretty good already with down B. It isn't as good as a lot of characters but it can definetely be worked around. I'd rather have a change to up B and side B landing lag.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
It would probably have to be a change to up-b, reducing the lag on side-b would make an already really good into a way too good move. I overuse it enough as it is :p

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I just want less lag after I hug with up-b so i'm not still being edgeguarded after punishing somebody messing up their edgeguarding
hell, maybe even change the angle they get sent at so they start getting edgeguarded themselves

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, on wario ware, if you ledge jump you can instant wl on the mid platforms. this is fun.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
A full waveland? Or just a normal one, because you can do it on other stages too.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
full waveland? all i know is, since the platform is right next to the ledge, you can just jump from the ledge (as opposed to ledge drop, to make sure my terminology is clear) and wl on the mid platform very very quickly (it's almost like mashing the wl motion). you can either go back off the platform and regrab the ledge or you can go forward most of the way on the mid platform, but not fall off.

alternately, you can go to the top platform and do the same, but you'll obviously fall off, so you can try to mess with people a bit.

man, this just further cements wario ware as my favorite stage.

maggot447

Smash Cadet
Can I get an explanation on how and who Ganon's chaingrab works on? Cause I currently do a d-throw into dair, but if I can chain before hand, I would do it in a heartbeat.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
how is pretty simple. just dthrow and regrab. sometimes you'll have to read di (damage and fall speed dependent), but the concept is simple enough.

who is more complicated and i can't list everyone out. but to my knowledge you can dthrow cg:
link (you have to get about 10-15% to start it, though)
marth
ganon
shiek
bowser

someone said you can cg lucas, (kailex?) and that seems entirely plausible.

you can also uthrow ff-ers (spacies, diddy, falcon) from 0, then you can usually switch into a dthrow cg afterwards.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Guaranteed cg on lucas, all of you should already know that (0%-60ish%)

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Works on Roy too, Ike in some way. I think I saw someone CG MK too.

Having a list would be great, but it's hard to do by yourself as there are times when you think you can CG someone but he can act before you regrab him (Link comes to mind past 50%).

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I might be able to talk my brother into helping test this this weekend... no promises.

I'm fairly sure you can cg Ike at least a few times, and it helps that he doesn't have a normal fast enough to hit you between grabs.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Yeah, hungry headcrab cg-ed a mk, it works and it could lead to an f-smash (that would kill)

Last edited:

maggot447

Smash Cadet
Also, what do you guys think of ledge grabbing by side-b off stage? I use it, but I haven't noticed too many using it in videos I have seen(although I haven't watched too much). I bait a Yoshi ofter cause he down-b's to ledge grab and I get there first with a side-b often.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Also, what do you guys think of ledge grabbing by side-b off stage? I use it, but I haven't noticed too many using it in videos I have seen(although I haven't watched too much). I bait a Yoshi ofter cause he down-b's to ledge grab and I get there first with a side-b often.
http://youtu.be/dQIqpnlJRRM?t=1m34s

Wavedash back accomplishes pretty much the same exact thing, but sometimes ya get lazy, ya know?

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I'll do it sometimes, usually when I'm not in danger of not making it back and the opponent isn't right on the edge, but it's still dangerous (especially if you're down a stock and don't want to suicide). You can also try and beat people to the edge like you said, but if you're a little slow you're dead :p

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Personally when it comes to edgehogging I like to pivot jump (aka RAR). It's as good as side B, but doesn't kill me in the offchance my opponent grabs the ledge before me.

Also if you wanna a do the CG research, you better do a thread of WIP so that everyone can contribute. Be sure that the victim tries everything to get out : the 4-5 DIs, jumping, airdodging, fastest aerial and invincible stuff (Zelda neutral B and co).

maggot447

Smash Cadet
Personally when it comes to edgehogging I like to pivot jump (aka RAR). It's as good as side B, but doesn't kill me in the offchance my opponent grabs the ledge before me.

Also if you wanna a do the CG research, you better do a thread of WIP so that everyone can contribute. Be sure that the victim tries everything to get out : the 4-5 DIs, jumping, airdodging, fastest aerial and invincible stuff (Zelda neutral B and co).
I am thinking some videos of this could also be very useful; some, such as myself, can see results better than reading the results.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you want, but ultimately this kind of thing can be summarized as a number : from X% to Y%, or can be done Z times.

maggot447

Smash Cadet
If you want, but ultimately this kind of thing can be summarized as a number : from X% to Y%, or can be done Z times.
I guess when you mentioned trying all the stuff in your previous post, I meant showing what every little thing(such as bad DI) that can be done, which seems easier to show in a video than in words(to me at least). With only percentage and z times, numbers are all you would need.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
well, what you really need to know is "what's the percent range this is guaranteed?" because once you know that you can either hope the opponent does the wrong thing or just cut it off at that percent range and go for the finisher.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Alright, here's a list off the top of my head for CGs (please correct any of this if it is wrong:

D-throw into infinity with d-throw, early with u-throw:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon

D-throw until 60-70%/into killing f-smash:

Lucas
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Roy

(note that with proper DI, these characters are capable of surviving the f-smash at around 60-70%, my opponent in the gif did NOT DI it)

D-throw until around 40-50%:

DDD(?)
Sonic
Marth
Link
Toon Link
Sheik
Ike
Zero-Suit Samus
Bowser
Olimar
Pikachu
Pit
Yoshi
Lucario
Snake

D-throw until ~30%:

Donkey Kong

No CGs:

Everyone else

This is all by personal experience. So, again, if you see anything wrong with this please tell me and I'll correct it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Can someone post a video of Ike getting CG'd? I was just playing literally 20 minutes ago and it seems like he comes out of the first Dthrow.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
was it from 0? link is weird and needs a bit of priming (about 10%) to get the cg going. headcrab put ike in the same general camp as link, so he might need a little bit of damage to get started, as well.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Yeah, remember guys, I haven't sat down and actually tested this out and/or documented it, so there's probably plenty of error in that list. I didn't even know that Link had to be "primed" a bit before the CG worked, lol.

Drunkinsnail

Smash Rookie
my opponent in the gif did NOT DI it
LMAO, RIP JamnToast.

Real though, solid post, Headcrab. I'd been wondering about approximate CG percentages for a majority of the cast. There's been one in Melee forever, but I was surprised nothing had really been addressed in PM, at least not anywhere too accessible, so mad props for that.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Real though, solid post, Headcrab. I'd been wondering about approximate CG percentages for a majority of the cast. There's been one in Melee forever, but I was surprised nothing had really been addressed in PM, at least not anywhere too accessible, so mad props for that.
Ha, thanks. I keep telling myself that, at some point, I'm going to sit down and figure out the exact percents for all of the chain-grabs, but then I never do it.

Really something we could use though.

MACKU

Smash Rookie
Can someone post a video of Ike getting CG'd? I was just playing literally 20 minutes ago and it seems like he comes out of the first Dthrow.
I can usually only get in the 30% range when CGing Ike. I go for a follow-up stomp when I feel the Ike is about to break out.

Top Bottom