• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon can't shield Falcon's Nair?

Foy

Smash Champion
Yeah realized that even after holding the shield that ganons head sticks out of the shield.

>_>

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
They're just spacing it well. You'll have to try to avoid situations where shielding is your only option. Ganon has several ways to beat/get past the nair.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
They're just spacing it well. You'll have to try to avoid situations where shielding is your only option. Ganon has several ways to beat/get past the nair.
Seconds this posts. Nair happy Falcons are easy to get around. Up angled ftilts and retreating fairs work for approaching nairs.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
today i was using an uair wall. my retreating fairs werent protecting me fast enough against nairs and knees, but that uair came out fast enough where i could use it reactively. felt good to finally have a good wall.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
today i was using an uair wall. my retreating fairs werent protecting me fast enough against nairs and knees, but that uair came out fast enough where i could use it reactively. felt good to finally have a good wall.
That's good. Also be sure to try Retreating uair, which is one of Ganon's best options (for a wall) for keeping fast approachers at bay in close quarters.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
oh, I was retreating, almost unconsciously. A lot of times I accidentally JC usmashed, which sort of became a really good mix up. I don't think it'd work consistently, but it was interesting to see cam run into it a lot.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol. Yeah usmash is not bad for the occasional mixup, but just as it has potential for **** it also has potential for disaster :>

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Yeah usmash is not bad for the occasional mixup, but just as it has potential for **** it also has potential for disaster :>
Honestly, I can't remember ever being punished for Usmash now that you mention it. It's because of the quick IASA. If they don't freak out and run right into the Usmash hitbox, they get hit by the jab or ftilt after.

Maybe the day will come, but my random tactics have still proven safe enough for now :)

Anyway, about Falcon. You have to bait him to run into a retreating Bair. That is my most effective method against falcon as long as it is spaced properly. It makes them afraid of approaching. L-canceling a retreating fair into an up angled ftilt also works great. I once had a falcon say to me during a match, "I just don't see anyway around that ftilt thing. It's so annoying." It pleased me > : D

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah usmash doesn't have many IASA frames clue, but a good player will catch on if you use it more than sparingly, trust me. And even if they don't have enough time to punish at the time, they get to be closer to you if nothing else and pressure you. If you usmash and fox/falco/sheik/marth/jiggs/etc. come up beside you outside of jab range, you have to act quick. Rolling or jumping can potentially be a huge mistake. WD back or simply running away would be your best bet depending on which character you're against.

I like usmash, really, but I think a lot of Ganon's overuse it. Watch Linguini and Kage. They don't use usmash super often and there is a reason for that.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
I like usmash, really, but I think a lot of Ganon's overuse it. Watch Linguini and Kage. They don't use usmash super often and there is a reason for that.
A lot of Ganon's? Like who? People are usually so afraid of it that they don't punish. It's all about when you use it man, because just like any other abused tactic, your opponent will catch on. You have to know your enemy. It's not an attack you use for spacing, so that is why you will use it sparingly. It is more appropriate for countering approaches. I do this mainly against Fox, Falco(sometimes), and Falcon. Also, I don't use it on characters with disjointed hitboxes.

In any case, not even I use it very often, but I do use it to mix things up and it hasn't hurt me.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah I use it too; when it's guaranteed, which is usually when your opponent doesn't di a hit or a throw. I can post links of ganons misusing usmash all day but it's not worth it. Maybe if you had played numerous matches with someone like PP or lozr in his prime you'd be a little more hesitant to use usmash. Good players that are actually familiar with ganon's options are not afraid of them and they do punish it effectively.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I use it too; when it's guaranteed, which is usually when your opponent doesn't di a hit or a throw. I can post links of ganons misusing usmash all day but it's not worth it. Maybe if you had played numerous matches with someone like PP or lozr in his prime you'd be a little more hesitant to use usmash. Good players that are actually familiar with ganon's options are not afraid of them and they do punish it effectively.
Doesn't really work so well on Falco. Only his sideB. Anyway, that's not the point of this thread, lol.

Light shield more.

/thread

Top Bottom