• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
GameStop Tournament Tips Thread​

March 08, 2008

> What character should I use for this tournament?

> What are some good strategies with that certain character?

> What can I expect at this tournament?

> What are some good tips in general for this tournament?

All this and more will be answered here. Feel free to ask or contribute any tips or concerns about the Game stop tournament you may have but please stay on topic.

GameStop (Tournament What you need to know)

Call your Gamestop some rules will differ for some Gamestops (GAMESTOP NUMBERS)

> Sign up starts at 9:30 PM, first 32 people only.

> Come with a photo ID.

> If your under 18 you need a parent with you.

> Starting roster only, So come to the tourney with an idea of who you want.

> Wiimote + Numchuk only, you cannot use your own controller.

> Tournament mode, The person with the most kills will win the match.

> If you have any questions PM me!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Play as Ike. Punish mistakes (trust me, casual players will give you plenty of oppertunities). Get one KO and then turtle the rest of your match.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I'm simply going to lure my opponent towards the edge and shine them to their doom with Fox.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
If they're free4alls, that makes MookieRah's suggestion that much more awesome!

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
I'm planning to use Pit simply because of Ike's garbage recovery, but what are the chances of the controllers being Gamecube?

CO18

Smash Hero
Its only 1 minute matches for the first round. But im gonna stick with Dedede no matter what.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Pick a character you can control easily, you need one solid hit in the mandatory 'sudden-death' to come. Camp the minute hoping for a lucky AT or Pokeball.

CO18

Smash Hero
Pick a character you can control easily, you need one solid hit in the mandatory 'sudden-death' to come. Camp the minute hoping for a lucky AT or Pokeball.
Wow man people really need to go read the entire rules.

There is no sudden death. The contestants have a rematch.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
They aren't ffa, they are 1v1. Items and stages are unspecified (I assume they will be on). I say to choose Ike simply because of killing potential and the fact that he is the king of punishing simple mistakes. You have one minute to get a KO, you need to stick with a character who has a high KO potential. I would very much recommend people to NOT play characters such as Meta or Pit unless they have played the game prior to the tournament.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Also, if you're not lucky enough to get at least a little practice from someone with a Japanese copy, I'd suggest using your minute to get the feel and flow of your character, avoiding your opponent as much as possible. Your going to need all the help you can get in that single minute to out-play your opponent in what should be considered a one-hit kill tournament.

If you do have access to a copy, *blush, blush* a few practice matches with these rules will probably be extremely helpful.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I hope Gamestop allows gamecube controllers too besides Wii Remote. ~_~

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Play as Ike. Punish mistakes (trust me, casual players will give you plenty of oppertunities). Get one KO and then turtle the rest of your match.
Ike is an awesome choice against casuals for that tournament.

No sudden death? That is probably for the better.

If you're not lucky enough to get at least a little practice from someone with a Japanese copy, I'd suggest Marth. He has a really similar feel to his Melee counter-part
Marth is a hidden character =\

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
If you're not lucky enough to get at least a little practice from someone with a Japanese copy, I'd suggest Marth. He has a really similar feel to his Melee counter-part.
well i would because I played marth in melee but marth is a hidden character and im pretty sure they wont have hidden characters

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
To add to everything that is/will be posted here, always be aware of any counter-measures to any of the tips here. Most likely we'll probably facing other people like us especially if you have to reserve the game to be a contestant in the first place. A counter to Ike seems logical at this point.

If there's a demo released in the next week or so, try to get some practice obviously. The characters aren't as important as getting the feel of the actual controller they're forcing us to use.

Always consider items in play. Sure we may be tempted to pick a fast killer, but a fast character can probably grab items better than most.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
To add to everything that is/will be posted here, always be aware of any counter-measures to any of the tips here. Most likely we'll probably facing other people like us especially if you have to reserve the game to be a contestant in the first place. A counter to Ike seems logical at this point.

If there's a demo released in the next week or so, try to get some practice obviously. The characters aren't as important as getting the feel of the actual controller they're forcing us to use.

Always consider items in play. Sure we may be tempted to pick a fast killer, but a fast character can probably grab items better than most.
Exactly what i was thinking I mean when i was watching the Best buy tournement here Im thinking kirby or someone fast might be a good character

lengeta

Smash Ace
Koopa-claw to death will most likely be a common tactic too.

As for the controler, I'll give a quick rundown of how it works for those not in the know.

Nunchuck
Control-stick works the same as a GC controller, and up will jump.
'C' jumps (the top button on the remote). It's the 'X'/'Y' button of the GC controller.
'Z' sheilds. It's really akward using your left hand to preform sheild-grabs IMO.

Wii-mote
'A', the button under your thumb, will be your standard-attack button.
'B', the trigger button, will be your special-attack button. Not to tough to get used to, but it's different.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm either going to use Mario or Bowser, since those are the two people in melee that I am most proficient/comfortable with, and that they are starting roster charafcters.

Or maybe I'll use peach; she'd probably survive for one minute easily. And if I got a stitchface...

And as for strategy, if I'm using a wiimote I'm going to throw caution into the wind and just play my best. You can't block random, so I probably won't last long with all the curves they're going to throw at us with these rules...

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Koopa-claw to death will most likely be a common tactic too.

As for the controler, I'll give a quick rundown of how it works for those not in the know.

Nunchuck
Control-stick works the same as a GC controller, and up will jump.
'C' jumps (the top button on the remote). It's the 'X'/'Y' button of the GC controller.
'Z' sheilds. It's really akward using your left hand to preform sheild-grabs IMO.

Wii-mote
'A', the button under your thumb, will be your standard-attack button.
'B', the trigger button, will be your special-attack button. Not to tough to get used to, but it's different.
I Hope we can use the GC controller or the classic

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna be participating in one of these, but what do you get if you win?

Well nothing more than a check to cover your transport/accommodations to the next round, but if you win the final round/grand finals you get a TV, a wii, some games, and 5,000 dollars.

And lengeta; I was thinking about this, but since Koopa Klaw is usually suicidal, it might not work in time matches. Unless you wait until like 00:57 to pull it off :laugh:

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Sheik seems like a good choice, at lest for me.

She's fast, so she can get the items.
She can combo ok.
Spamming side and up tilts to rack up damage (if it's the same as melee) would work really well for the causals you'll run into.
Killing potential is kind of low but, it's probably not as bad as Pit or Mk.

Plus, She was my main in Melee, so I'm use to her moveset.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well I'm going and I'll probably use ike since he could have the easiest time knocking out someone in 1 minute. A little tip from me is that after you kill them, to kill yourself. They will have -1 while you will have 0 and have your percent back at 0 and just tank out the rest of the match.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm going and I'll probably use ike since he could have the easiest time knocking out someone in 1 minute. A little tip from me is that after you kill them, to kill yourself. They will have -1 while you will have 0 and have your percent back at 0 and just tank out the rest of the match.
wow huh i never thought of that great tip

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Unfortenatly Sheik got greatly nerfed in this game. A good sheik main I know left Sheik and became Pit because sheik was so bad. Zelda is better than sheik now.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Exactly what i was thinking I mean when i was watching the Best buy tournement here Im thinking kirby or someone fast might be a good character
Actually, Lucas might be a viable choice. His upsmash is insanely powerful (KO'ed Lucario at like 80% on a stage with a high ceiling). The hitbox is huge and if you perform the upsmash during a run you will slide with it. This would catch a lot of casual players (even unwary competitive players) off-guard. Lucas isn't too shabby all around, but I would recommend playing some matches with Ness in Melee prior to the tournament if you can't play a Japanese Brawl copy.

He also has a projectile, so you can spam that and frustrate opponents, ESPECIALLY casual players. They tend to hate projectile spamming, and they will get very angry and thusly hinder their play even more.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
And lengeta; I was thinking about this, but since Koopa Klaw is usually suicidal, it might not work in time matches. Unless you wait until like 00:57 to pull it off :laugh:
Don't quote me on it but doesn't Brawl have that new time match thing where, whoever hit them last gets the point regardless?
All you'd have to do is tap them then do the suicide so it would be you at 0 (+1-1) and them at -1.

I'm not sure. Someone with the game could try it.

Unfortenatly Sheik got greatly nerfed in this game. A good sheik main I know left Sheik and became Pit because sheik was so bad. Zelda is better than sheik now.
You're joking.

God **** it Sheik, way to stay at the top...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
All you'd have to do is tap them then do the suicide so it would be you at 0 (+1-1) and them at -1.
From what I remember being told, the time matches will give the SD to the opponent if the opponent hit them within a somewhat large period of time prior to their death. I would say that this time period is upwards of 30 seconds or so, cause the people discussing it were pointing out that it's really hard to actually "suicide".

It would be nice if someone who has tested this would give us all the details.

@Xengiri
Yeah, Sheik has a REALLY hard time killing people from what I hear. It's a sad story.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Heres a tip for people who aren't good at the game. Pick a character who has a good FS. Like Kirby who can pull their opponent in from anywhere. When you get it, go under the stage and use it and they will die no matter what they are at and you should be able to recover.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
When you get it, go under the stage and use it and they will die no matter what they are at and you should be able to recover.
Oh wow, lol. Never thought of that, but that sounds pretty sick. Man, XD. That is just so wrong, but oh so so right.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
To bad about sheik...

But, is anyone else finding this hilarious?

Not the rules but what we are doing about them.
Force us to play in a item timed tournament and we instantly think of possible ways to cheaply abuse it.
Not like what we’re doing is wrong (their fault for such rules) but, this should kill anyone’s ideas that think our standard tournament rules aren’t for the best.

Btw, that Kirby FS idea is genius.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Not like what we’re doing is wrong (their fault for such rules) but, this should kill anyone’s ideas that think our standard tournament rules aren’t for the best.

Btw, that Kirby FS idea is genius.
Yeah, we need to start linking this thread whenever people question our tournament rules.

Revven

FrankerZ
If items are at a decent setting (medium) then likely the best option is to 1) Get the item(s) first 2) Always throw them no matter what item they are. I've found that in Melee, when playing with items on, you can abuse them so much just by throwing them. Throwing them some times is actually so much better than actually using the item. For example, the Homerun Bat, if it happens to spawn grab it and throw it at the opponent constantly to rack up damage and then KO when you can. Of course... since this a 1 minute match this could prove to be difficult.

Also, would Diddy Kong be a good character for this? His FS seems to dominate from the videos I've seen though, I could be wrong. Oh and he can spike... so... that'd be a viable option.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
Those who say they will use, peach...don't.

Not only is peach not as good as she was in melee... SHE HAS CHANGED A LOT.
I practiced ONLY with peach in melee and intended to main her in brawl. Within 4 hours of playing her in brawl i realised not only did those skills not translate well AT ALL, i discovered she now sucks and I main pit.

Play peach if u want to lose.
Play Ike if you want to win. ( i agree with the guy who said pick ike)

His recovery will punish noobs who try platform edge guard him he is hard to ko within 1 minute and can ko enemies easily.

Top Bottom