• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameStop/EB starting to cut off pre-orders!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I was in GameStop today to reserve Little Big Planet and Soul Calibur 4, got a Wavebird while I was there too, and we started talking about Brawl. One of the employees said that the GameStop corporation is starting to cut off reservation opportunities from certain stores. In fact, one of the two GameStop stores in my area (on the same street) already has gotten the word that they cannot pre-order any more copies of Brawl.

They said that most likley, the GameStop website will not stop taking pre-orders, and that not all GameStops have to stop. He said he thinks somewhere about 250-300 preordered copies is the magic cut-off number. They said that from what their management has told them, GameStop's Nintendo people told the company that the US delay for Brawl was primairily to print more copies, much like the Japanese delay, and because of that, they wont be able to sell as many in the first shipment as they would like. He also said that the majority of GameStop and EB stores will be doing midnight releases, assuming they have the game in time.

Make sure you pre-order, just in case your GameStop or EB is about to cut off!

KEEP IN MIND: All info is from a random GameStop employee. I doubt he was trying to sell me a pre-order, because he knows I already have one. At the same time though, SOME game store employees have historically been known to have been...well, misinformed. Im just passing along the info I was given. What is fact, however, is that one of the GameStops in my town has, indeed, stoped taking pre-oreders for Brawl.

UPDATE: Japan already expieriencing shortages:

http://www.destructoid.com/japan-br...bros-brawl-brawl-due-to-shortages-66600.phtml

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/01/24/smash-shortage-threatens-japan/

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=840817

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=15418&start=0

UPDATE 2: Officially, both of the GameStops in my town have stopped accepting new preorders. Both will be participating in the tourney as well.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
good info. thanks. this would be (if it checks out) more confirmation on what the japanese sites were saying that it was delayed because sakurai was taking too long and there was not enough time to print copies for launch.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Interesting, this is actually soothing to my delay-stricken ears. I'm glad because I probably wouldn't be able to get Brawl for a month because of so many people hogging the stores for pre-orders. I'm happy about the delay, no doubt about it!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Interesting, this is actually soothing to my delay-stricken ears. I'm glad because I probably wouldn't be able to get Brawl for a month because of so many people hogging the stores for pre-orders. I'm happy about the delay, no doubt about it!
no offense, but that doesnt make any sense

Boy Wonder

Smash Rookie
Crap, they delayed it primarily to make more copies?!?

Get out what you can and the craze will follow, even if you don't have enough initial products. Look at the Wii.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I pre-ordered back in October I think :D I'll check later today just to be sure. Can't go to a midnight release and NOT have it pre-ordered, right?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
ha i preordered mine like 3 or 4 monthes ago so im set and my gamespot said there gona do a midnight release but thx i gotta tell some of my friends :)

Betaz

Smash Ace
>.> who all preordered theirs like.... over a year ago like me?

anyways On Topic: well this does make me understand the reason they had to delay it again...which i think is kind of funny... too many ppl preordered brawl so they need to make more copies... >.> did that ever happen to halo?

ZSnake

Smash Cadet
Im Lucky, I preordered just 2 days and on top of that they actually have Wii's in stock, Sadly i coulden't buy a Wii yet, But hopefully they still have some Wii's in Stock around March 9 Brawl Release cause that's my birthday. Good Info Anyway. People Should Preorder just to be on the safe side.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I've had mine pre-ordered since september. But I'm curious how many walk-in copies the gamestops will have? If they stopped taking pre-orders because all the copies have been turned into pre-orders, what are they going to do on launch day with all the non-preordered people camping outside the store? Tell them to go home? Or totally screw someone's pre-order over by deciding last minute to go with "first come, first serve"?
That is what I'm worried about.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I pre-ordered mine as soon as Gamestop let us and that was a LONG! time ago....its been ages.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't remember if I put money down for Brawl or not...

I remember being in the store, with money...and wanting to...

But after that it's a blur

Buggswatter

Smash Rookie
How long could it possibly take to mass produce and ship copies of a disc based game? One whole month? So there are a lot of preorders to satisfy, but a month's worth? I understand thats probably not the entire problem, but it still seems nintendo is falling short in the demand, and production analysis lately

How could Nintendo not predict this, or have in place proper manufacturing processes to meet extra demands. History of Wii shortages too. I mean, do they have monkeys with dremels in the back office putting their **** together, with corporate decision makers supporting the idea?

Chepe

Smash Lord
Try Circuit City - maybe you will find a $10 gift card deal when you pick up the game, like I did. :)

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
How long could it possibly take to mass produce and ship copies of a disc based game? One whole month? So there are a lot of preorders to satisfy, but a month's worth? I understand thats probably not the entire problem, but it still seems nintendo is falling short in the demand, and production analysis lately

How could Nintendo not predict this, or have in place proper manufacturing processes to meet extra demands. History of Wii shortages too. I mean, do they have monkeys with dremels in the back office putting their **** together, with corporate decision makers supporting the idea?
They can't predict it because they haven't found the market price for the Wii yet... Supply is FAR less than demand and they are making far more consoles than the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if Brawl did Halo type launch numbers.

TheBeast

Smash Rookie
theres no first come first serve business. i came first to pre-order mine and there not allowed to SELL something that YOU HAVE already PAID for. its like stealing. anyways i worked in a furniture that did pre-orders. cannot sell something to another person thats already owned and paid for by another person. so people who have the game pre-ordered, no need to worry.

fox, all day, every day.

Pun

Smash Apprentice
Was there anything that comes with the pre-order of SSBB at Gamestop? I already spent the money so I just need to pick it up, but does it come with anything extra? My dad pre-ordered it for me for my Christmas gift, but I wasn't there with him.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I took care of the pre-ordering way back in October. The receipt is tacked to my bedroom door, and there it will stay until March.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Whoa! From the title, I thought they were gonna cancel preorders from some people. It's bad enough that I can't a Wii anywhere.

But I see what's going on. I'm glad I pre-ordered when I had the chance

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I was in GameStop today to reserve Little Big Planet and Soul Calibur 4, got a Wavebird while I was there too, and we started talking about Brawl. One of the employees said that the GameStop corporation is starting to cut off reservation opportunities from certain stores. In fact, one of the two GameStop stores in my area (on the same street) already has gotten the word that they cannot pre-order any more copies of Brawl.

They said that most likley, the GameStop website will not stop taking pre-orders, and that not all GameStops have to stop. He said he thinks somewhere about 250-300 preordered copies is the magic cut-off number. They said that from what their management has told them, GameStop's Nintendo people told the company that the US delay for Brawl was primairily to print more copies, much like the Japanese delay, and because of that, they wont be able to sell as many in the first shipment as they would like. He also said that the majority of GameStop and EB stores will be doing midnight releases, assuming they have the game in time.

Make sure you pre-order, just in case your GameStop or EB is about to cut off!

KEEP IN MIND: All info is from a random GameStop employee. I doubt he was trying to sell me a pre-order, because he knows I already have one. At the same time though, SOME game store employees have historically been known to have been...well, misinformed. Im just passing along the info I was given. What is fact, however, is that one of the GameStops in my town has, indeed, stoped taking pre-oreders for Brawl.
Ahhhh, print more copies, of course.

It makes sence. If you look at the Melee numbers for Japan and the US, you'll see it nearly sold 2million Japan, but 4million+ in America. And if pre-orders can get as high as 300 fore one store, then printing enough copies is a big worry.

I'd be glad if that was the reason, especially against something like advertising reasons.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
>.> who all preordered theirs like.... over a year ago like me?

anyways On Topic: well this does make me understand the reason they had to delay it again...which i think is kind of funny... too many ppl preordered brawl so they need to make more copies... >.> did that ever happen to halo?
Mine has pre ordered since last summer.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Yeah I've already pre-ordered, I think it was sometime in October (I didn't even own a Wii then).

I am not too worried about my area running out of copies anyway. Super Mario Galaxy was never a problem to get, and even though I read somewhere on the forums Brawl will have less copies, it still isn't something I'm freaking out about. I don't even think any EB's and Gamestops stay open past 9p.m.

Top Bottom