• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameStop/EB starting to cut off pre-orders!

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I have a Best Buy gift card. As much as I want this game, I have a limited cash flow. I am not spending money for no good reason if I don't have to.

I'm going to get Best Buy 30 min before the store opens and I have no doubt they will 1 billion copies of the game like they do of every other big game that comes out.

People are worrying about this too much. Especially if the delay is for more copies.

And I'd say the chances of the Gamestop guy telling you the truth is at best 50/50

DQP

Smash Ace
whew!! good thing i preordered early. let this be a lesson to smashers. preorder early or suffer!!

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
Wow. You got me so paranoid I checked to see if my preorder/purchase back from August was still on the books. It was.
Speaking of Gamestop though, the manager at mine is working for a midnight release, but he has to get clearance from the powers that be, I'm sure thats how its going to be for all the gamestops.
He said he'll know a couple of weeks before tha game comes out.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
so does this have a possible chance of SSB outselling Halo3.
Yes... Melee outsold Halo 1, Brawl is the sequel to the biggest game on the GameCube, and the Wii is going to outsell the GameCube. I am saying it might have Halo 3 launch numbers, which was like 3 million in one day. Many Core Gamers are waiting for this title, and if there is one thing the Wii needs help with, its getting the Core Gamer.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I pre orederd mine sometime in September, so I dont have to worry about this XD

Snipey

Smash Rookie
on the topic of knowledgable gamestop employees....

i asked one about midnight opening and he said 'definetly not'
i asked if other gamestops would be doing it and he said 'no, smash bros. is a childrens game, we dont do midnight openings for kids games'
i didnt bother conversing any further, in an attempt to not get any stupider.

even if it Was a childrens game, midnight launch seems it would be more based off of #'s pre-ordered, not target audience.

lesson : just dont bother asking.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
on the topic of knowledgable gamestop employees....

i asked one about midnight opening and he said 'definetly not'
i asked if other gamestops would be doing it and he said 'no, smash bros. is a childrens game, we dont do midnight openings for kids games'
i didnt bother conversing any further, in an attempt to not get any stupider.

even if it Was a childrens game, midnight launch seems it would be more based off of #'s pre-ordered, not target audience.

lesson : just dont bother asking.
That is retarted beyond all reason. I was at midnight releases for Halo 3 and SMG, and there were people of all ages at both. I'm sure SSBB will be the same way.

Fats McRobot

Smash Cadet
I think midnight release depends on location as well. I have two stores within walking distance that you really don't want to have open past dark. Also, malls tend not to have them, or have really strange rules and directions regarding them (one required you to stop by that day, check off your name, and wait outside the mall until security let you in, one at a time...).

I transferred my reserve to a store with a midnight release.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well I'm glad I got mine reserved.

When I got it reserved the guy said that they might start cutting it off soon also.. And that was like.. August time...

-Onyx

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
I hope thats the reason but at the same time they could've just let it be a hard to get just like the console it belongs to.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I work at Target and I am requesting that day off (I already requested Feb 10th of prior to hearing about the March 9th delay. I plan on getting at the store by 6:30 or 7:00 to buy it. I do not see us not having any. As well, we did not do a midnight release for Halo, PS3, or the Wii as well. In fact, I doubt there will be a line. If not, I'll just hang out in my car till open time. As well,y Target is the largest in the area so they will be sure to get a fair amount of copies.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Crap, they delayed it primarily to make more copies?!?

Get out what you can and the craze will follow, even if you don't have enough initial products. Look at the Wii.
well it will take a long time to make stuff like this

also it should take only a week to temporarily placate the people who preordered brawl.

though i have a feeling that the delay was a month for the translating AND the distribution

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
This is why you don't wait till the last minute.

Geez people, it is just 5$....go get yourself a guarenteed copy before you botch it up and end up screwing yourself out of Brawl....

Cause I don't want to hear *****ing when you are like, "MY GS DIDN'T HAVE TEH SMASH BROS. BRA!"

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
1. LOL @ Smash Bros Bra

2. Guys, do you think that the PlayAsia delay further confirms that the GameStop/EB shortages are very real?

S2

Smash Lord
Well good thing I have a preorder at both my local GS and at a Gamecrazy (I'll be buying it from the one who gets it in first).

The 9th is actually my birthday. As a grown adult I'm going to 1.) Stalk the gamestore till they get it in. 2.) Force my friends to log in several hours on it. 3.) Party hard.

Its gonna be a long day.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Well good thing I have a preorder at both my local GS and at a Gamecrazy (I'll be buying it from the one who gets it in first).

The 9th is actually my birthday. As a grown adult I'm going to 1.) Stalk the gamestore till they get it in. 2.) Force my friends to log in several hours on it. 3.) Party hard.

Its gonna be a long day.
by log in several hours, do you mean play it?

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think PlayAsia only further confirms the shortage and epic amounts of pre-orders. It makes me wonder just how backed up on pre-orders alone we are here.

Glad I'm all safe. *nervously clutches the pre-order receipt, glancing left and right*

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Yeah I think PlayAsia only further confirms the shortage and epic amounts of pre-orders. It makes me wonder just how backed up on pre-orders alone we are here.

Glad I'm all safe. *nervously clutches the pre-order receipt, glancing left and right*
qf epic t

10chars

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I ordered mine like two days after the first "official" release date. Ya know...the infamous Reggie one.

Desu.

Smash Cadet
Well I just bought one, but seeing as theres 3 game stores in that one area from my home, I think I'll be safe for the most part...

ConeZone

Smash Ace
does it matter when you pre-order? is someone who pre-ordered a month or two ahead of me have first priority?

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
I called my local Gamestop yesterday to check your statments (an acquaintance of mine works there; neighbor) and they stopped pre-orders around the 140's. According to Sherman, a good amount procrastinators have been trying to pre-order after they discontinued them.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
The gamestop I went to to buy a new controller still had spots for reserving it seemed. When I asked if they were hosting a midnight tourney (they were) they later asked if I wanted to buy my copy now to ensure I have a copy on sunday. This is in Northern Virginia, pretty high populated area so yeah, this is good news for people.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
So who here is buying more than one copy? <______<
I have two copies ordered and plan to go to Walmart and pick it up at midnight. One was from Sears just to see if they ship it, if it hasn't gone out by next Tuesday I am cancelling that one, and if I get mine Saturday/Sunday night at midnight, I'll cancel my Gamestop order (since I wouldn't get it until Wednesday, screw that).

I will only get one copy but I am sure in the coming weeks my brothers will want a copy too. My household has owned 4 copies of Melee since it's release...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I called my local Gamestop yesterday to check your statments (an acquaintance of mine works there; neighbor) and they stopped pre-orders around the 140's. According to Sherman, a good amount procrastinators have been trying to pre-order after they discontinued them.
alot of people = screwed

Top Bottom