• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games/Consoles you grew up with as a kid

Aracily

Smash Rookie
I feel it's very interesting to share this because if I didn't start gaming as a child, interested in consoles like the N64, PS1, and Dreamcast. Don't think i'd be playing Smash today or have a Wii U!

I grew up up with like every un-forgettable N64 game. Examples: Super Mario 64, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Island, Mario Party 2&3.

Two games I have much respect for even today would be Sonic Adventure 1&2 for Dreamcast just because of how awesome the series was. It got me more into gaming! So what about you?

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Since I'm younger, I had a GameCube and a PS2.
I played oh-so-much melee. I've pretty much always been playing smash throughout my life.

Also played KH and Ape Escape. Jak too.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Handheld, it's Gameboy Color and GBA.
Home console it's Gamecube and Nintendo 64.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
NES > SNES > Game Gear > PS1 > Gamecube > GBA > PS2 > PSP

Before I was born we already had an NES. I was probably in preschool by the time we got an SNES and then finally a Game Gear. I grew up on these games and then spent a lot of elementary school days with the PS1. This shaped my interests to mainly Nintendo titles and JRPGs and it's kinda stuck that way. I'd say any Nintendo title, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man, and FFVI really affected me.

N64 I never bought, but all my friends had it so I never missed out. Went back to Nintendo when the GC came out and we finally got a PS2 years later when the library for it was huge. I don't think my family got any new consoles when I was in high school. College was when I finally bought stuff for myself. I think my first purchase was a 360, then Dreamcast, and Wii/PS3 along with other portables.

finalark

SNORLAX
When I was really young a family friend gave us a Genesis. Unfortunately, it just kind of magically disappeared after we moved across country. It wasn't long until it was replaced with a PS1 that Christmas. Around 2002 or so a K Mart nearby was closing and was selling their merchandise or something like 80% off, which means I ended up getting a GCN for my birthday.

As far as handhelds go, I also got a Game Gear around the time I got the Genesis, no idea what happened to that. Years later I got a GBA.

I feel like my love for JRPGs came primarily from the PS1, GBA and my friend's PS2. Playing the GBA ports of classic S/NES games along with the GCN is what really got me into Nintendo games. I actually still have a soft spot for SEGA thanks to my early experiences with them and my childhood best friend's Dreamcast.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My first ever console was the N64. I always wanted to play Bomberman Hero by myself while my brother kept forcing me to play Smash 64 with him. We also had Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing which were also really fun.

The GBC was my first handheld. The only games I had on it were Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and a few licensed games (such as Aladdin and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).

The Gamecube is when I really started getting into gaming. My most played games were Melee, Mario Sunshine, Zelda Collector's Edition, Wind Waker, Mario Party 6, Double Dash, and Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure.

Just when the DS started to bloom, I finally got a GBA SP. Pokemon Ruby/Fire Red, DKC3, Minish Cap, and Wario Land 4 kept me occupied during that time.
Status: Broken. After years of use the hinge eventually broke off.

A few years later I got a DS Lite mainly so I could play Pokemon Pearl. Aside from playing just about every main Pokemon game on the system I also enjoyed the Zelda DS games, WarioWare D.I.Y., and Super Scribblenauts.
Status: Hinge is broken a bit and the L/R buttons don't work, though surprisingly it can still play games.

That same year I got a Wii. Brawl was the main reason but I also had fun with Mario Galaxy 1+2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, MKWii, and a ton of virtual console/wiiware games.
Status: Still works though I did have to get it repaired in 2010.

Of course I later got a 3DS/Wii U but that's too recent to reminisce about.

Last edited:
I think the first thing I ever played was Super Mario 64. My family had an NES and a SNES, but they gave those away to my cousin before I was born, so my roots lie in that early 3D era. I mostly played PS1, N64, Game Boy, and PC games at the outset, and then I just moved onto everything else as they released.

I think some of my interests now are a result of games I played back then. Played a bunch of Diablo, now I love RPGs. Played a bunch of Armored Core on a demo disc or something, and now I like mecha. Played copious amounts of Star Fox 64, and I'm into sci-fi. Played large amounts of Katamari and Goemon, and now I'm a horrible weeb in denial.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Just a DS and a Wii. There wasn't even any Smash on the Wii. I spent most of it playing Wii Fit because I was a chubby girl back then.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Just a DS and a Wii. There wasn't even any Smash on the Wii. I spent most of it playing Wii Fit because I was a chubby girl back then.
I didn't get Brawl until 2011, and it was actually a burned copy. Yeah, my Wii is modded that it can play Wii games that are downloaded and burned to a CD.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
GBC, Wii, DS Lite, Sega Genisis. I'm still only 13 though, (will be 14 in two weeks!), but I just recently got a Gamecube. I don't have a memory card, ans the only game I have for it is a Lego Star Wars game that I don't play.

I grew up with Playstation 2. I played mostly Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly, Kingdom Hearts and Crash Bandicoot games, though I played some other good games as well, like Donald Duck: Quack Attack, Ape Escape 3 and Wallace & Gromit: Project Zoo.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
I primarily grew up with a PlayStation 1 and a Nintendo GameCube.

I played nothing but the Crash Bandicoot trilogy and Melee with CPUs.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
My first few consoles were Game Boy Color, N64, PS1, NES, and SNES. I think I had the NES and SNES by the end of elementary school, so I'd definitely say that counts as "growing up" with them despite the fact that I bought them after their prime. I always dug retro gaming and wanted a taste of what came before my time. Hell, my first eBay purchase was in 3rd or 4th grade and was Game & Watch Parachute.

It's weird to think of what consoles I grew up with. It was several. I was fortunate to have access to avenues by which I could pursue retro gaming. Definitely affected my tastes at a formative age.

Great thread, btw.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
The first video game console I ever truly owned was a DS (yeah, I was pretty late in joining the fun. Heck, I was born when the N64 was around) and the first game I've ever truly played was a GBA game called Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire. Yeah, my parents bought me a DS and a GBA game for X-mas. I couldn't tell you how confused I was when I was trying to insert a GBA cartridge in my DS. XD

You might have realized that I said "truly" owned/played. That's because it wasn't TECHNICALLY the first video game/console I've ever played. I remember when I was a little kid, I found a video game console in my garage which, to this day, I still have no idea what in the world that console was even after some research. I remembered it had Chinese characters though, so that's probably why XD. Anyway, I remember there were three things that came with it. I think it was a NES Zapper, Street Fighter II for the...Famicom?, and Shaq-Fu for the SNES. I don't remember much from my gameplay experience but all I remembered was that the graphics and music sound an awful lot like Shaq-Fu.
Which means that yes, if my memory serves me right, Shaq-Fu was technically the first video game I've ever played.:yeahboi:

Unfortunately, my mom thought the games were too violent for me and threw the game console away. But not the games. I didn't found them until years later.

I also remembered I got an obscure Sonic plug-and-play game for X-mas. I remember the controller was that of Sonic's head with his fist as the joy stick and it had two buttons. There were many games included on the plug-and-play game. Most of them were actually Game Gear Sonic games. Too bad the game broke a long time ago though.

In terms of other games I've played when I was a kid, I played a lot of Pokemon, Mario, Sonic, and of course, I can't forget about Brawl. Oh, and Flash 2. Can't forget about that too. I've spent hours on those games.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
My first actual console that was mine - all to myself - was an Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket bundled with Link's Awakening. I played that game, Wario Land 2, and Pokemon Red non-stop for a whole summer. I kept all the boxes and everything (thought they were too awesome to throw away) my mom thought I was weird for that haha. As a result I now have quite an obsession with collecting anything Game Boy. Lately I've learned to let go and sell some of it; it's tough, but the prices are good right now so it doesn't hurt that much.

I would also play in the car constantly, so much so that when I learned to drive I was bad at directions to places we had been hundreds of times.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The first console I really owned:

This image is permanently engraved into my mind.
Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil, Phantasy Star Online, GODZILLA.
Luigi's Mansion, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Paper Mario, Wario World, Mario Kart Double Dash, Meleeeeeeeeeeee!

This little box is simply put the best console. :)

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
My first console I'd ever owned to myself was a GBC, with Pokemon Silver being my first game.

But growing up as a kid, a lot of consoles had played roles in my life and were special to me. The GBA, Dreamcast, PS1 (mainly for Twisted Metal), PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, etc.. All of those consoles had titles that I loved and wouldn't mind owning them again if I had the chance to.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Because of my uncles who were huge game fanatics back in the day, I grew up with enough access to every Sega, Nintendo, Xbox and Playstation console that was available on the market.

My favorite systems are between the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and the SNES.

I've had a similar experience with Nintendo handhelds (I've played a Virtual Boy, but never owned one); I've had my own brick Game Boy, then a GB Color, Advance, DS (then a DS Lite when the original broke), and finally, a 3DS (which has been upgraded to a *New* 3DS once the original broke).

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I am older than 9/10ths of this board it seems. The first console I had was the NES.

Bubble Bobble is one of my favorite games of all time.

I remember playing a lot of Super Mario Bros. My older sister technically owned Mario 2 and 3 (She got them for Christmas) and would not let us play them unless we beat Mario 1 without warps which I did. I never did finish Mario 2 for her to let me play 3. Of course I did anyway when she wasn't home, lol.

I had the game Dream Master and it scared me as a child. I beat the first level so many times but was too scared to go on. :(

We also had the Power Pad and the Track and Field game which was really fun when you were young and had a lot of energy.

Excitebike was another favorite of mine. I loved the track creator.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
My older brother had an NES which I got to play a lot. I was very young back then, but I vividly remember beating my father in Dr. Mario. Maybe he let me win back then, but when we dug the console up years later I could still beat my friends consistently.
We kind of skipped gen 4 and went straight to an N64 when that came out, which is what I played the most, split with the GameCube later on. It was pretty nice growing up with friends who owned other consoles, because it meant you got to go to their place to play PlayStation or Dreamcast and they could come to you to play N64.
Obviously, growing up with as a Nintendo kid, I played a whole lot of Super Mario Bros 1-3 as well as Super Mario 64, but a game that really strikes me hard in the heart with nostalgia is Jet Force Gemini. I absolutely adore that game and wish it got more attention than it did. Despite the galaxy spanning fetch quest towards the end, I think it's a really solid game. Great environments accompanied by the best sounding compositions on the console(honestly, the instruments sound really good) and a ton of fun weapons to use on creepy buglike enemies made it a blast to play. Having a friend jump in as a second sight with Floyd was a neat bonus as well.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
I grew up with a Playstation 2 and a Gameboy Advance SP but I had access to a Nintendo 64 where I played Mario Kart and my friend lent me Pokemon Gold for a couple of weeks and I played the hell out of it. He also had the other Pokemon games but i tried those when I was at his house. I played a lot of Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Eye Toy, the Simpsons games and other games on the Playstation 2 and am still buying more games I didn't have when I was younger because there are so many it's unbelievable.

On my Gameboy Advance, the first game I got with the GBA was Spyro Adventure (I believe it was called Ripto's Rage or something else in the NTSC region) and I played the hell out of it. A fun adventure platformer that isn't amazing but will give you many hours of playtime. I didn't really have many other games for the GBA other than Pokemon Sapphire which I bought for a retail price of $70! and I still have the manual with no front cover and in pretty good condition still. My brother and I both shared a black DS Lite that we got and played Nintendogs and later got an R4 (chip that you can put games on) but also a few other games.

Then after that a Wii (that I actually won from an EB Games competition with Super Mario Galaxy) where I bought Brawl for about $70 in 2007 and played the hell out of it but never thought about competition. I also played quite a bit Guitar Hero 3 that I still have actually.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Playing the original Crash Bandicoot for PS1 after like 12 years....I did not expect the intro song to make me so helplessly nostalgic. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now.

Last edited:

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
My console history is pretty weird. I first started out with my dad's PS1 in 2002, playing tons of Crash and Tarzan. A year before getting my own GBA (with Pokémon Sapphire) I managed to steal my older cousins's GBC and his Pokémon Gold game while on vacation. He never found out, luckily.

The same year I started school (2004) I got a PS2, but didn't play a lot of games on it. Around the same time I spent a lot of time at a friends house, playing mainly Smash Bros. Melee and MK: Double Dash on his GameCube (didn't get one myself). I actually bought his GameCube last year for 8$ because he was going to sell it to Gamestop :urg:

I got myself a brand new DS Lite when it was released, and that's the last console I received as a gift. From 2006 until this day I've bought myself every new version of DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4 and the retro consoles from Nintendo (NES, SNES, N64). I can't hide the fact that I'm a huge Playstation fan, and therefore I've never let an XBOX inside my house.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
My console history is pretty weird. I first started out with my dad's PS1 in 2002, playing tons of Crash and Tarzan. A year before getting my own GBA (with Pokémon Sapphire) I managed to steal my older cousins's GBC and his Pokémon Gold game while on vacation. He never found out, luckily.

The same year I started school (2004) I got a PS2, but didn't play a lot of games on it. Around the same time I spent a lot of time at a friends house, playing mainly Smash Bros. Melee and MK: Double Dash on his GameCube (didn't get one myself). I actually bought his GameCube last year for 8$ because he was going to sell it to Gamestop :urg:

I got myself a brand new DS Lite when it was released, and that's the last console I received as a gift. From 2006 until this day I've bought myself every new version of DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4 and the retro consoles from Nintendo (NES, SNES, N64). I can't hide the fact that I'm a huge Playstation fan, and therefore I've never let an XBOX inside my house.
There are some really good exclusives that I'm not that fond of on the original Xbox that are supposedly really good but seeing as you have a PS2, you probably have quite a few of them anyway. I don't have an original Xbox but I'd buy one just to play the decent exclusives because there are quite a few. I don't even have a PS3 yet, yet I've had a PS2 for the past 10-12 years and am still buying games for it. If you have any recommendations, please let me know as I'm looking to buy all the good games I don't have (I have about 80 games I believe) ) and any hidden ones that I've never heard of.

Last edited:

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
I never was around video games until 2004, when my mom and I moved to my aunt's house and stayed there for a few years. I think I was either 5 or 6 when we moved.
Back then my cousin had (and still does own) his N64 and a GameCube, along with his GBA.

I believe the GameCube was the first console I ever played, followed by the N64. I remember having loads of fun playing Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros Melee.

On the N64, I kind of remember playing Smash Bros, but only small snipets. I remember us playing DK 64 Multiplayer but I was awful at it... I also sort of remember playing Diddy Kong Racing but I believe we only played one race because I found the controls to be really difficult. I think my cousin even warned me that DKR had "slippery controls" or something like that, not sure. But I'm pretty sure I chose Pipsy as my character.

In 2006 I got my GameCube that was bundled with Smash Bros Melee and have held onto it ever since!

I would post about my GameCube games, but I'm already rambling so I'll stop here...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The first home console I recall playing is Nintendo 64. No NES and / or SNES were in sight, but still a great console. Played a huge amount of Mario 64, Smash Bros., and all that stuff back then. As for handhelds, it's all about Game Boy (and Color), but my focus clearly was on the home system at the time.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
A cousin of mine had an NES with Punchout, Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda 2, and some other games (which he's since given me when the console stopped working and he moved out), which I sometimes got to play when I visited.

My first console was the SNES when I was about 7, followed shortly by the old faithful gray brick known as the Game Boy. I actually remember being really excited for the Nintendo 64 when it came out and those VHS tapes I got that hyped up Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 64 too.

For a bit I was anti-PS1, but sometime in 1999 my younger brother and I split the costs and got a Playstation, a memory card, some game I forget, and a copy of Wild ARMs 1 that I still have to this day. That was my first taste of post-cartridge RPGs (I'd played RPGs before like FFIV, and the SNES copies of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI that are still in my collection) and even though I was still pretty young, I think it was when I first was able to really appreciate RPGs more.

I got a PS2 and a Game Boy Advance when they came out, but I usually consider the whole "as a kid" thing to be before I turned 16, so...before summer '03, lol.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo 64 with Pokemon Stadium, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Kirby, Yoshi's Story.
Gameboy Advance with Pokemon Crystal, and... basically just Pokemon.
Gamecube with Paper Mario TTYD (I love this game so much Nintendo please release a PM of this caliber again), Melee (the game to play with friends), the Sonic Adventure titles, Pikmin. I also rented a bunch of stuff.
DS with a lot of Pokemon but some non-Pokemon stuff.
Wii. Brawl, Super Paper Mario, and I really can't remember the others. Wii Sports was fun.
I got a SNES but I only played EarthBound on it. I got an NES but I rarely used it.

I also played on a friend's PS2 (more like watched because he didn't like to let me play) Spyro, saw him play Crash Bandicoot, some weird dragon game where you fly and breathe fire (?), some game where you collect hearts (as opposed to stars like in SM64). I list these because I still remember them and I want to find out what those games were. Mystery! He also had a N64 with Donkey Kong 64. I'm certain there were other games too, but I can't remember them now.

In my non-kid period, a 3DS and a Wii U. I've been considering a 60GB PS3 to make up for years of Nintendo snobbiness isolating me from a lot of good stuff. I'm also looking into getting more games for the consoles I have, since I can play practically any Nintendo game (except Virtual Boy stuff but nobody likes that).

I'm shocked at how expensive old games are getting. Apparently Melee goes for a lot now? I really wonder how much my entire game collection would go for if I sold it all. Not that I'd ever part with those memories. When you're a kid playing a game, it really feels like you're exploring that world. The landscapes of Super Mario 64 hold a special significance for me, despite their graphical inferiority and datedness. And one of the things about cartridges is that it's really your little legacy in that thing. Disk games hold no trace of their previous owners, but with a cartridge, you can see the choices made by the last owner. My more-than-a-decade-old SM64 cartridge has seen a lot.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Way too many to name. I started gaming when I was three and now that I'm 29... there's a lot that I could say. I never stopped gaming and have owned every console since. NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Saturn, Gameboy, Game Gear, Jaguar, Atari, and the list goes on...

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Way too many to name. I started gaming when I was three and now that I'm 29... there's a lot that I could say. I never stopped gaming and have owned every console since. NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Saturn, Gameboy, Game Gear, Jaguar, Atari, and the list goes on...
Master System? Virtual Boy? 3DO? 5200? N-Gage? CD-i?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
My early childhood(around 5 years old, when I really started getting into video games)was spent with the NES, SNES, classic GB and Saturn. Even though I used them a lot, I didn't have many notable games for them(though I did have games like Punch-Out, Dream Land, Super Mario All-Stars, Sonic 3D Blast and some others).

Late childhood(8-12)was all about the GBC/GBA, N64 and PS2. This was the time I was able to indulge in more of Nintendo's popular games, like Pokemon(1st and 2nd Gens plus Stadiums), the many Mario games(64, Kart, Party, Tennis and more), DK 64, Star Fox, F-Zero and many more besides. And I was around to see Smash emerge. My 3rd party library wasn't as extensive as my Nintendo library, but I did have games such as Bomberman 64/Hero and Mega Man Legends/Battle Network. PS2 was a late entry in my home, but I was able to experience some of the PSX classics, most notably Spyro 2 and 3.

My early teen years consisted of mostly GCN and PS2 with some GBA and PC stuff on the side. I'll be quite frank here, when I got my hands on the GCN, I thought it was the s**t. Metroid Prime 1 and 2, SSBM, Paper Mario, Power Tennis, Double Dash!!, Air Ride, Wind Waker and others, they were all fantastic games in my eyes and pretty much reminded me why I'm a fan of Nintendo's games. At this time I started collecting Sonic and Mega Man games, some of which include classic collections. PC gaming wasn't a thing in my home, until a friend of my father decided to visit my family, and he had brought his computer along. I was then introduced to the Unreal Tournament series, which I consider to be superior to pretty much any modern day shooter(except maybe the Borderlands series). On the PS2 side I got involved in some more PSX classics, like Mega Man 8 and The Legend of Dragoon. Ratchet & Clank pretty much became my favorite thing from Sony.

Late teens were DS, Wii and PSP games mostly. Pokemon Pearl, SSBB, MK Wii and Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2 ate up most of my time. I rekindled my love of notable 3rd party series such as Castlevania and Mega Man through the many handheld games that came out in this time span, which include the Starforce/ZX series and Dracula X/DS series.

And that's about it for my gaming history. Now it's all 3DS and Wii U stuff, with a bit of PS3 on the side.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Master System? Virtual Boy? 3DO? 5200? N-Gage? CD-i?
Master System, Virtual Boy, 3DO, yes. N-Gage I borrowed... but not a fan. My cousin who stayed with us had a 5200 - so I played it as well. I still have my Virtual Boy and 3DO (and all of my consoles). I was lucky that all of my friends were gamers so we traded around a lot.

Nikoback

Smash Rookie
NNID
MeltingComet
I grew up with a Game Boy Advance SP. Those were the good days, playing Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (Which is actually pretty good!), Rayman 3, and the Super Mario World GBA release.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Master System, Virtual Boy, 3DO, yes. N-Gage I borrowed... but not a fan. My cousin who stayed with us had a 5200 - so I played it as well. I still have my Virtual Boy and 3DO (and all of my consoles). I was lucky that all of my friends were gamers so we traded around a lot.
Nice! Of those I listed, I've only got a Master System. I'm still waiting to have a windfall to purchase a Virtual Boy sometime. Then I'll start working on my Atari collection. I've got a long way to go, but it'll be worth it! My roommate's like you, he has just about everything. I definitely envy him, and since I'm moving out relatively soon, I'll have to start collecting all the stuff I don't have. Some people don't get it, with emulation around, but there's nothing quite like having the genuine hardware to pull out from time to time.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Indeed man. Nothing like playing on original hardware. Even for speedruns - the original hardware typically runs best (depending on the game and/or console though). I've actually went back over the past couple years and purchased missing pieces to my collection. My issue is I don't have enough room for it all right now, so it stays boxed up. My SNES/N64/GameCube is hooked up in the bedroom atm though.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Nice! Of those I listed, I've only got a Master System. I'm still waiting to have a windfall to purchase a Virtual Boy sometime. Then I'll start working on my Atari collection. I've got a long way to go, but it'll be worth it! My roommate's like you, he has just about everything. I definitely envy him, and since I'm moving out relatively soon, I'll have to start collecting all the stuff I don't have. Some people don't get it, with emulation around, but there's nothing quite like having the genuine hardware to pull out from time to time.
Is it weird that I never knew about the Master System until I played the Phantasy Star Portable series where it shows up as a Mag?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Indeed man. Nothing like playing on original hardware. Even for speedruns - the original hardware typically runs best (depending on the game and/or console though). I've actually went back over the past couple years and purchased missing pieces to my collection. My issue is I don't have enough room for it all right now, so it stays boxed up. My SNES/N64/GameCube is hooked up in the bedroom atm though.
Yeah, man, same. A lot of my stuff is back at my parents house put away somewhere. When I move to a bigger place, I'll finally move it all in. Probably set up a nice display for it all too.

Is it weird that I never knew about the Master System until I played the Phantasy Star Portable series where it shows up as a Mag?
Can't go wrong with Phantasy Star! Besides, it didn't have much an impact in the US, so that's understandable. For some reason, it was really popular in Brazil. Consequently, can often be cheaper to import them from there than to get them stateside.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
First console I owned was a Sega Genesis. Best system I've ever owned and still discovering hidden gems. :4sonic:

Also had a PS1, GBC, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, PS2, GBA (the greatest gaming system ever) and even a PSP.

I'm super old

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
One of my first experiences with playing video games was with my uncle's PS1. I loved going to his place as a kid and playing Crash Bandicoot, Hercules and Time Crisis. The first home console I owned was the SNES but I remember memories of going to my cousin's place and playing on his Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. Sadly I never played/owned any of the classic popular SNES games but my first game on the SNES was called Ghoul Patrol. Loved it back in the day.

My dad used to travel a lot overseas and brought home various PC games for me despite my PC being pretty crappy back then. I have fond memories of playing Rayman 2 and 3. So many fun times with sisters playing Rayman. I also have lots of memories playing Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure and even Doom.

Although, during my childhood I was really into the handheld gaming side of things. The Gameboy Colour was my first handheld console. Pokémon Pinball was my first game on the system, ironically my first Pokémon game too. I did end up borrowing my cousin's copy of Pokémon Red though; instantly loved it.

Eventually I got the GBA SP and loved the flip up and down design like the mobile phones back in the day. I loved playing the Pokémon Emerald, Sonic Advance 3, Rayman Advance and I even had a bootleg game that included 100 games in 1 that my dad brought home from Malaysia once; it even had the classic SNES/NES games which I found pretty cool.

The next home console I ever owned was an Xbox that my dad had bought as a surprise. I have lots of memories of playing Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Sonic Heroes. I didn't own Halo but I did rent it a few times. I rented a lot of games on the Xbox back in the day. Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Pitfall: The Lost Expedition were also my favourites.

Years later, I got the DS along with Mario Kart DS for Christmas and I was so addicted to MKDS. I used to bring to my primary school and race against my friends during recess and lunch. I loved snaking to the point that my hands started hurting; good times. xD During middle school, I ended up getting an R4 flashcard where my cousins shared NDS roms for me to play on it. Flashcards were useful especially with playing Japanese-only games like Jump Ultimate Stars.

At the end of primary school, I got the Wii for Christmas which came with Wii Sports and Spider-Man: Friend or Foe. I also got Link Crossbow's Training with the Wii Zapper as well; too bad I didn't get Twilight Princess. ._. Once Mario Kart Wii came out, I was so addicted especially since I loved MKDS. I ended up joining a forum dedicated to MKW and even joined clans to compete in wars and such. I was so excited when Super Smash Bros. Brawl finally came out in Australia 3 months after America's release; loved playing it with friends and family even if we just played with items. :p

Top Bottom