• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

Eureka

Smash Ace
One thing that's been bothering me is that Corrin seems to be a lot slower then he should be. It appears that his run speed is 1.5, the same as Ike, Luigi, Wario, Lucas, and Mii Swordfighter. It's especially bothersome because of the quick and acrobatic moves he can pull off like up tilt or dash attack, but he runs slower then freaking Game and Watch. It also makes following up on Dragon Fang Shots much harder. Did anyone else feel he would be faster from watching the presentation?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
One thing that's been bothering me is that Corrin seems to be a lot slower then he should be. It appears that his run speed is 1.5, the same as Ike, Luigi, Wario, Lucas, and Mii Swordfighter. It's especially bothersome because of the quick and acrobatic moves he can pull off like up tilt or dash attack, but he runs slower then freaking Game and Watch. It also makes following up on Dragon Fang Shots much harder. Did anyone else feel he would be faster from watching the presentation?
Every shot of Corrin in the trailers were action shots, meant for hype and promotion of the character. Like a commercial, sometimes they are not indicative of the product.

Fast pace action shots and lots of cuts are the way you direct hype.

Last edited:

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
So I just found out that you can SH Fair and then pin the ground with SideB before you land. Could this maybe be used as a frame trap against an opponent who shields the Fair and then tries to punish?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So I just found out that you can SH Fair and then pin the ground with SideB before you land. Could this maybe be used as a frame trap against an opponent who shields the Fair and then tries to punish?
Perhaps if it could shield poke as well? Or if you were close enough to the ground, pin to the ground and backflip/jump if you miss?

D

Deleted member

I think that depends on your spacing and if the opponent decides to do something like roll or jump OoS before attempting a punish, it will also depend on the shield-stun dealt because characters with faster OoS options will be able to punish the Fair before DL can come out, obviously good spacing helps to prevent this but certain characters like :4mario: who have U-B's that go diagonally forwards can probably hit you no matter how well you space the SH Fair on shield.

I think the biggest concern is jump, since I feel like most characters (save for those who have really long jumpsquat frames like :4ganondorf:) will be able to jump OoS before DL such that they are in the air before Corrin pins their old location and are thus able to punish Corrin even before she can kick or jump away.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Corrin has a pretty amazing ledge trump game. After a trump Bair comes out fast and can kill pretty early and the momentum you gain from it will put you back on stage. Once on stage you can tipper DL the ledge if they try to go for it again. If the recover high, try to Uair or Bair them.

D

Deleted member

Some small but IMO important DL details:

As I'm sure everyone knows, grounded DL's hop distance can be notably influenced by the pushing the control stick in the direction you're moving, so you can hold forwards (the direction Corrin is facing during the beginning of the move) to get maximum hop distance or don't move the stick forwards at all to get minimum distance (as a result,the shortest distance is equivalent to jumping in place, to do this essentially flick the stick for the S-B input and then immediately let go, or immediately move the stick in the direction opposite that which Corrin is facing).

One thing to note is that if you tilt the stick in the direction Corrin is facing in order to drift forwards, subsequently holding the opposite direction after Corrin has moved forwards will not move Corrin backwards, it will simply stop her forwards momentum and Corrin will begin to fall straight down at the spot in the air that she has reached during the forward hop.

Once you stop your forwards momentum by holding backwards, Corrin can then immediately begin drifting forwards again if you simply hold forwards, so you can weave through the air and mix up spacing, although this mix-up capability really only becomes significant when Corrin is performing grounded DL and then traveling to a lower vertical postiion, because if Corrin starts and ends her DL on say, the base of FD, and is landing at the same height that she began, there won't be very much time for such momentum shifting to make a significant impact (Please note: I'm referring only to momentum shifting forwards and backwards repeatedly, the momentum stops that shorten Corrin's initial hop distance are still valuable when performing grounded DL on a static height platform)

What's important about this hop is that it allows Corrin an easier way to grab ledge for trump attempts than Short Hops (since the DL hop is shorter, the timing doesn't need to be quite as precise as for a SH where you have extraneous air-time as you rise to SH height), the inconsistent run-off-stage-immediately-hold-backwards and standing right at the ledge and barely tilting the stick to fall into the ledge, and this is made even easier by the fact that you can influence the forwards/backwards distance of the hop by tilting forwards or backwards.

And because Corrin's Bair is amazing, this makes ledge trump Bair even easier, and I know we all like it when we can do more Bairs.

Another thing is that, as you may all have noticed, when Corrin does a grounded DL, after the actual hand-lance stab, if Corrin doesn't pin the ground, she is lifted up slightly (not a huge amount but an amount that is noticeable). The area where I think this slight difference may be significant would be with DL edgeguarding. Aerial DL has a much less significant stall when Corrin performs the lance stab than grounded DL.

So, if Corrin is choosing to go deep for a DL edgeguard, performing a grounded DL on the ledge and then just drifting offstage will allow Corrin to achieve a depth almost as far as simply falling with aerial DL (by the time the grounded DL hop animation ends, at which point Corrin CANNOT aerial DL afterwards). So, I feel like having this "extra boost" on DL will give Corrin a little more of a space buffer for when she needs to come back to the stage so that the frame window for being able to successfully make it back to the ledge isn't as tight since Corrin can double jump while she is rising from the grounded DL stab animation.

Another important thing to note about grounded DL offstage is that the stab remains an active option for as long as Corrin's "Dragon Mask" remains visible (I know it isn't a mask but stay with me), which is a deceptively long time since Corrin actually relaxes her lance arm before the Dragon Mask disappears.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Alls the Dragon Lunge info.
Great write-up, I've been wondering about a lot of this stuff. I freaked out a bit one time when I DLed off the side of the stage and died because I couldn't jump out of it. XD Good to know all I had to do was pop the lance to get my options back. I think it's going to be important to think about when you really need the DL hop and when it would be better to simply short-hop DL since even empty DL hop incurs landing lag. Since we have the instant pin technique, I'm not sure there's actually much use for DL hop aside from the offstage/ledge shenanigans you mentioned? Well, I guess it's still going to be important for spacing pins when you're not close enough for insta-pin, but then that begs the questions of if it would just be safer to dash/walk => insta-pin.

D

Deleted member

Great write-up, I've been wondering about a lot of this stuff. I freaked out a bit one time when I DLed off the side of the stage and died because I couldn't jump out of it. XD Good to know all I had to do was pop the lance to get my options back. I think it's going to be important to think about when you really need the DL hop and when it would be better to simply short-hop DL since even empty DL hop incurs landing lag. Since we have the instant pin technique, I'm not sure there's actually much use for DL hop aside from the offstage/ledge shenanigans you mentioned? Well, I guess it's still going to be important for spacing pins when you're not close enough for insta-pin, but then that begs the questions of if it would just be safer to dash/walk => insta-pin.
Yeah it really is a shame that Corrin has some landing lag on the grounded DL hop since if she didn't it would straight-up be a built-in (true)* Tomahawk.

*I say "true" because normal empty hops don't incur any landing lag, of course.

I think it could be useful for some pseudo-Tomahawk baits and shenanigans though (fake Tomahawk -> Grab or whatever you want, an instant pin perhaps, etc.), as well as some micro-spacing.

One thing I'm thinking of (which is granted, quite if not extremely situational) is one where the instant pin (in place) would actually be too fast (an odd hypothetical yes, but stay with me), but the hop + momentum stop to perform a delayed DL in place would actually work out depending on what the opponent is doing.

Corrinlove

Smash Rookie
While playing Corrin I noticed that I can stick to walls and using this I'm able to FH off the edge Dair near the wall, to carry an opponent with multi-hit to the blast zone, use my second jump to stop falling dragon lance to the wall, jump out of the pin, then up b, which can also be used to recover. What are thoughts on this, obviously it can't be done for tourneys, because you need a stage with flat edges that go to the blast zone, like omega Gerudo valley or boxing ring, but I've been using it against my friends and it works well on characters who have a decent up b, and if missed is easily spiked, but I love it and it isn't extremely difficult to pull off.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Does anyone know what Corrin's weight is? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

estabon9

Smash Rookie
You might all already know this, but when you pin the ground with corrins side b and tap a direction rather than just hold a direction, the kick comes out noticeably quicker. When I do the instant pin I usually just mash my stick quickly in the direction I wanna kick and I can consistently get the kick out faster. Makes the move a lot safer because you are not stuck hanging from the lance quite as long.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Trying to find a way to act instantly out of a jump cancelled DL.

Also, a question: has anyone skewered an opponent while they're down (i.e. they haven't teched)? Can they still tech in that situation? If not, then it should be an easy neutral B follow up.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
From what I recall hearing, Corrin can autocancel fair, nair and bair but for the life of me, I've only been able to do it with fair, assuming I have the meaning of autocancel understood. Sh aerial with no landing lag is an autocancel correct? Some can even be fastfalled with no landing lag. I've been able to sh fair without any lag and even double jump or use a special (or pointlessly another aerial) before touching the ground but I can't do this at all with nair or bair.

TL;DR So autocancel on nair and bair or no?

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
Someone had asked how to not bite hard or Charged after charging full shot projectile. Actually Corrin neutral special is a 4 type attack.

Special = the button you have assigned for special moves

Tap special twice: Corrin fires a small projectile uncharged and then bites softly and quick
Tap special then Hold special: Corrin fires a small projectile and then charges the bite to up to maximum. the shot stuns the opponent if close enough for the charged bite to hit.
Hold special and then Tap special: Corrin charges up the projectile and then bites quickly. Useful for when the enemy evades your projectile so you can act accordingly after the quick bite.
Hold special twice: The most damaging one were Corrin will charge up the projectile and then charge up the bite. Often fatal and heavy shield damage if done close or point blank range.

Last edited:

Caiahar

Smash Rookie
Uh does anyone else feel like down tilt is hard to hit? It doesn't have that good range, and I can never get close enough to properly use it

Eureka

Smash Ace
From what I recall hearing, Corrin can autocancel fair, nair and bair but for the life of me, I've only been able to do it with fair, assuming I have the meaning of autocancel understood. Sh aerial with no landing lag is an autocancel correct? Some can even be fastfalled with no landing lag. I've been able to sh fair without any lag and even double jump or use a special (or pointlessly another aerial) before touching the ground but I can't do this at all with nair or bair.

TL;DR So autocancel on nair and bair or no?
After a certain point in an aerial's animation if you land with it you will only get regular hard landing lag (4 frames for most characters. That's what autocaneling is. In terms of Corrin's aerials the only one that autocancels out of a short hop is forward air, all the other ones do not reach their autocancel frame before Corrin hits the ground (although uair looks like it almost makes it). Forward air actually has a pretty good autocancel, as it can be fast falled and still autocancel, but it won't autocancel if it's fast falled as soon as possible, so you need to wait a bit.
Someone had asked how to not bite hard or Charged after charging full shot projectile. Actually Corrin neutral special is a 4 type attack.

Special = the button you have assigned for special moves

Tap special twice: Corrin fires a small projectile uncharged and then bites softly and quick
Tap special then Hold special: Corrin fires a small projectile and then charges the bite to up to maximum. the shot stuns the opponent if close enough for the charged bite to hit.
Hold special and then Tap special: Corrin charges up the projectile and then bites quickly. Useful for when the enemy evades your projectile so you can act accordingly after the quick bite.
Hold special twice: The most damaging one were Corrin will charge up the projectile and then charge up the bite. Often fatal and heavy shield damage if done close or point blank range.
Actually you don't need to tap special twice, after the projectile is shot the hand will automatically bite. You can also release the bite before hitting full charge by just letting go of special.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Uh does anyone else feel like down tilt is hard to hit? It doesn't have that good range, and I can never get close enough to properly use it
Corrin is weird in terms of spacing. Either you need be very rangey to get the tipper or be very close to get the dltilt combos. Midrange is where is kill power is weak and combos can't get started as well. Plus I've noticed dtilt combos in uair or utilt for the longest when it is hit up close. Dtilt is my out of shield option, there isn't really any opportunity where you can force it like say bair.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Trying to find a way to act instantly out of a jump cancelled DL.

Also, a question: has anyone skewered an opponent while they're down (i.e. they haven't teched)? Can they still tech in that situation? If not, then it should be an easy neutral B follow up.
I have on a Bowser, after a Usmash he didn't tech so I pinned him.
Kicks won't hit though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Small little tidbit I wanna share.
For Omega stages that have walls on the ends instead of just ledges (such as Boxing Ring or Gamer), a good tactic to use to vary recovery is to go low and use Side-B to pin yourself into the wall; giving yourself a 3rd jump and the up B.
Could also save you when you're standardly too low to grab ledge.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Up air seems to have a lot of active frames. You'll have an easier time hitting a grounded opponent with it when you're facing away from them, as you'll hit them as Corrin finishes his/her backflip.

Meanwhile, if you try to do the same with Marth, the sword phases right through them. Heh.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Can someone list Corrin's cons? I haven't seen any glaring faults so far, but then I've only played a few hours.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
if you set c-stick to attack, dtilt out of shield is pretty reliable. and perfoct pivoting can help positioning yourself for a dtilt if you read a roll, get up etc.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
SideB is such an incredible tool - it's a mixup, kills, and provides great mobility...safely.

This safety is maximized when you space it right with platforms - see below. Fantastic.

Is this still possible to perform?
For some reason whenever i try to do it, never works ;___; and i had it down yesterday

Edit: NVM figured out the issue. Have to use special instead of short hop

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I have been playing with smash stick ever since I got the Wii U version, mainly because I play Robin and so that kinda forces you to use it for Levin aerials. Things is though, part of me feels like tilt stick is probably better for most other characters (you also can't C-bounce with smash stick). What should I do?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Thanks I seem to be having a rough time as Corrin dealing with Bayo and viceversa for the love of my life. But that's just me.
Most Bayos are too smash happy to not counter.
Most Corrins are too reliant on side and neutral b to not get a good witch time in.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
foes can SDI our of charging smash, right?

verbatim

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if/how badly bair extends Corrin's hurtbox? If the wings are just a hitbox and not a hurtbox we might be able to use bair to live longer when launched so long as we use it after leaving hitstun, kind of like how Villager can cancel his momentum with side b.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I have been playing with smash stick ever since I got the Wii U version, mainly because I play Robin and so that kinda forces you to use it for Levin aerials.
Actually c-stick set to attack already forces you to use Levin aerials! plus it'll let you control the momentum of those aerials a bit more easily. The only thing to be careful of is accidentally doing nair from a diagonal input.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone know what Corrin's running speed value is? I understand that he's not all that speedy, but it never hurts to make sure.

Edit: While I'm at it, how fast is Corrin's falling speed?

Last edited:
Top Bottom