• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: The Hitbox Quiz!

Sangoku

Smash Master
The hitbox quizz!

The principle is pretty simple:

Which character and which move do the following hitbox frames correspond to?

Rules

1) If you wish to participate, please don't go look up the Frame Display program or Hitbox GIFs, this is all just for fun!

2) Answer by sending me a PM, that way nobody will get inspiration from other posts! Every answer posted here will be deleted and will nullify your participation, so be careful! If you're participating in a round, please mention it here though.

3) I'll make a new round every few days and will post the following day a summary with the correct answers, everyone's answers, and everyone's points!

4) Each question has 3 points max. 1 for the character and 2 for the move, because I believe it is easier to identify the character than the move. Also, to have the full 2 points for the move, you must give additional info when needed, such as angled attacks, particular timing if relevant, etc. I will also give bonus point in the following cases:
------ 10% or less found the character
------ 10% or less found the correct attack

5) This is all just for fun, don't take your grade too seriously! Indeed it's sometimes hard to grade in a fair way. Also, I apologize in advance for the misleading cases!

Good luck and thank you for your participation!

Current ranking

Only those who participated to at least two rounds will be included here. Number of points is the average between rounds.

View it here!

Round 1 (complete)

1) Is that some kind of insect? It's Donkey Kong's Dsmash, at the end!

2) Is that Bruce Lee? No it's Link's bthrow! Some people were hinted by green invincible frames, but only one person found it was Link.

3) Too easy! Maybe not after all. It was Yoshi's down B after landing! The little hitboxes are the stars.

4) Wtf is that? So yeah, it really was "wtf". It's Samus' back roll! Again, apologies because it's technically not an attack.

5) Too easy! That was dishonest: it's Jigglypuff!

6) Some invincible victory pose! Donkey Kong's usmash, apparently too easy!

7) Hitting below the platform. Mario's lowest fsmash! Ambiguity with Luigi here as well, sorry!

Round 2 (complete)

1) Kirby U-Smash, I think that was the easiest! Good answers: 12/21

2) Link's aerial Up B! If you look carefully you can see the little fire effect of the Up B. And aerial, with a different hitbox than grounded. Good answers: 3/21

3) Fox's fair! That one was really hard, because I used the last frame to get you confuse it with an f-smash (although most people weren't confused by that lol). Good answers: 2/21 -> Bonus!

4) Pikachu's neutral B at the very beginning! That was probably the hardest one. Only ONE person got it right! Good answers: 1/21 -> Bonus!

5) Samus' U-tilt (she's facing left). I personally thought this one was really disturbing lol. Good answers: 5/21

6) Mario's B-air! That was tricky, because I believe the angle is more suggestive for a late U-air. Good answers: 0/21 :(

7) Late Falcon's U-tilt! Good answers: 6/21

Round 3 (complete)

1) Fox's U-air, beginning! Look at those hitboxes, they're HUGE! Good answers: 5/19

2) Jigglypuff's U-smash! Good answers: 6/19

3) Kirby's get up attack (from the ground)! Although this is by a ledge, it isn't a ledge attack! And remember blue invincible frames means totally unvulnerable, unlike green frames which are "parry" frames (including respawn invincibility). Good answers: 8/19

4) Ness' dash attack! 4/19

5) Donkey Kong's non fully charged neutral B! This one really amused me! I didn't think it would be so hard to find. Also clubba's "I feel like I've very recently seen this one but I'm not sure." made it even funnier. Yes, I linked a similar image not too long ago lol. The difference is the invincible property of a fully charged neutral B (not the case here, hence not fully charged). Good answers: 0/21! :(

6) Link's neutral B! That's the very beginning of the boomerang hitbox, I think it was pretty hard. Good answers: 2/19 -> Bonus! (yeah I rounded off 19 to 20).

7) Yoshi's Up B (egg) explosion! This is way bigger than I had imagined beforehand! No wonder why I feel I always get touched by that when I'm being edgeguarded. Good answers: 6/19

Round 4 (complete)

1) Luigi's Up B, beginning! Difference with Mario: the latter's hitbox is way bigger, easily covering his whole body. Good answers: 7/17

2) Captain Falcon's U-smash! Too easy! And yeah, I posted it in the Fox thread to show how far Fox could be. Good answers: 15/17

3) Mario's third jab! What a huge foot! Good answers: 6/17

4) Luigi's dash attack! And not Ness' Fair! Good answers: 4/17

5) Yoshi's dtilt! Looks like a random bunch of boxes. Good answers: 1/17 -> no bonus because you were three on this.

6) Kirby's falling down B! Too easy! I don't really know why the hurtbox' color doesn't change, but it's definitely not an invincible state (can be knocked out and grabbed). Good answers: 11/17

7) Ness' platform drop! So hard it wasn't even fun. Guys, Yoshi's parry is GREEN invincible frames as he can get touched (hitlag+SFX+hit animation). Good answers: 0/17 :(

Who will have the best score?

Sangoku

Smash Master
EDIT: you should make a results post tomorrow, with the answer key and everyone's scores
EDIT2:Do we need to include if a move is angled for full credit?
1) I will.

2) Hmm I'll see how I'll deal with additional info. Maybe each case will be out of 3 points? 1 for the character, 1 for the attack and 1 for additional info (such as angles for example) when needed?

3) Maybe I should have asked for results by PMs? That way I'm sure nobody gets inspiration from the existing posts. I'm not sure, I initially just thought of it for fun, so I hoped people would play the game in a fair way.

M!nt

Smash Champion
awww you didn't say anything about the angle! >:C

I wanna win! c:

Sangoku

Smash Master
If you guys agree, I'll delete your posts and you can send me a PM with the answers. I'll make a summary tomorrow with everyone's answer!

M!nt

Smash Champion
You're helping make that frame program!! Cheater! >:C

mixa

Banned via Warnings
you're right. but I still wanna participate. :c
Sangoku can handicap me in some way. or just take me out of the game but still give me my score?

anyway, I feel like doing this, too. if people are up for another round of this

M!nt

Smash Champion
anyway, I feel like doing this, too. if people are up for another round of this
Yes!

I got a lot of those wrong on the first one, I dunno what I was thinking.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Concerning the hitbox quiz, I don't think anyone else will participate, so 2 more hours, then it's done, I'll give the results!

Also we could do several rounds of this, but it will be hard to find difficult attacks everytime. I probably won't participate if mixa makes some, because I'm actually so bad it won't even be fun.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Concerning the hitbox quiz, I don't think anyone else will participate, so 2 more hours, then it's done, I'll give the results!

Also we could do several rounds of this, but it will be hard to find difficult attacks everytime. I probably won't participate if mixa makes some, because I'm actually so bad it won't even be fun.
I'm gonna pm you i think, hold on

Sangoku

Smash Master
The hitbox quiz round 1: results!

This turned out to be kinda hard to grade in a fair way, so don't take your grade too seriously, this was just for fun lol. As it was a bit dishonest from me to put ambiguous cases (like number 5 and number 7), I chose to give only 1 point if the character was guessed right and 2 if the attack was correct. This is also more fair for those who found the attacks, since I think it was easier to recognize the character than the attack. I also gave a bonus for number 2 because only one person found the character. I would have given a bonus for number 4 as well, but nobody found the correct move. Other things I need to apologize for: people who didn't precise the timing of number 1 and number 3 weren't given full points, even though I'm pretty sure they knew it. And apologies to Star King who took the word "attack" litterally, my bad, I should have said something more general like "move".

1) Is that some kind of insect? It's Donkey Kong's Dsmash, at the end!

2) Is that Bruce Lee? No it's Link's bthrow! Some people were hinted by green invincible frames, but only one person found it was Link.

3) Too easy! Maybe not after all. It was Yoshi's down B after landing! The little hitboxes are the stars.

4) Wtf is that? So yeah, it really was "wtf". It's Samus' back roll! Again, apologies because it's technically not an attack.

5) Too easy! That was dishonest: it's Jigglypuff!

6) Some invincible victory pose! Donkey Kong's usmash, apparently too easy!

7) Hitting below the platform. Mario's lowest fsmash! Ambiguity with Luigi here as well, sorry!

And now your answers:

8th place:

cobr_evolution

1. dk get up?
2. fox utilt off a respawn plat
3. hmm...fox dsmash, i have no idea
4. samus platdrop downb
5. jpuff utilt
6. dk usmash
7. yoshi platdrop dair

1) 1/3
2) 0/3
3) 0/3
4) 1/3
5) 3/3
6) 3/3
7) 0/3

8/21

7th place:

madrush21

1. Beginning of DK's down smash
2. Falcon - f-smash - Upward Angle
3. Kirby - d-smash
4. Samus - up-b
5. Kirby - U-tilt
6. Dk - taunt - facing left
7. Mario - f-smash - downward angle

1) 2/3
2) 0/3
3) 0/3
4) 1/3
5) 2/3
6) 1/3
7) 3/3

9/21

6th place:

M!int

1.No idea, Dk something?
2.up angled fox ftilt
3.yoshi down b
4.samus up b ending just below platform
5.kirby uptilt
6.Dk upsmash
7.down angled yoshi fsmash

1) 1/3
2) 0/3
3) 3/3
4) 1/3
5) 2/3
6) 3/3
7) 0/3

10/21

5th place:

mixa

1. DK, ......... wtf, I don't even know if it's upside down or not, I'm going with... B-roll
2. Fox, B-throw (I ALMOST submitted angled F-tilt, sneaky green gave it away)
3. Yoshi, down B
4. Samus, down B
5. Kirby, U-tilt
6. DK, Usmash
7. Yoshi, ........ late Fair?

1) 1/3
2) 2/3
3) 2/3
4) 1/3
5) 2/3
6) 3/3
7) 0/3

11/21

4th place:

The Star King

1) DK DSmash
2) Falcon up-angled ftilt? Parry frames???? All my wut.
3) Kirby dsmash? I almost said Fox but the character model doesn't look like him methinks. Looks more disjointed than I would expect though...
4) IDK. It looks like a shield drop to me but you said "attack". I'll guess Samus bomb
5) Kirby utilt seems too obv, gonna guess you're a TRICKSTER and say Puff Utilt
6) DK USmash. Easiest one? inb4 wrong
7) Mario down-angled FSmash. This better not end up being Luigi. Looks shortish so gonna say Mario.

1) 2/3
2) 0/3
3) 0/3
4) 1/3
5) 3/3
6) 3/3
7/ 3/3

12/21

Tied for 2nd place:

Skrlx

1. DK's down smash near the end of the animation where he picks himself up
2. Falcon's angled f-smash
3. Yoshi's down+b when he hits the ground
4. Samus down+b
5. Kirby up-tilt
6. DK up smash
7. Mario/Luigi's angled f-smash. (Dunno how you're expecting us to discern beween Mario and Luigi from shapes on a weird angle.)

1) 3/3
2) 0/3
3) 3/3
4) 1/3
5) 2/3
6) 3/3
7) 2/3

14/21

SuPeRbOoM

1) dk, downsmash
2) link, bthrow
3) fox downsmash???????????
4) samus upb???
5) lol kirby uptilt
6) dk upsmash
7) down angled fsmash by mario OR luigi, let's say...luigi

1) 2/3
2) 3/3 +1
3) 0/3
4) 1/3
5) 2/3
6) 3/3
7) 2/3

14/21

1st place:

Fireblaster

1) DK recovering from down smash
2) Falcon doing a back throw
3) Yoshi landing during his down B
4) Samus laying a bomb
5) Jigglypuff's up tilt
6) DK's up smash
7) Mario's low angled fsmash

1) 3/3
2) 2/3
3) 3/3
4) 1/3
5) 3/3
6) 3/3
7) 3/3

18/21

Congratulations to our winner, Fireblaster, aka the GIF MASTER, king of the hitbox knowledge!

Thanks to everyone for your participation, now I'm ready to face the wall of protestations.

M!nt

Smash Champion

The Star King
3) Kirby dsmash? I almost said Fox but the character model doesn't look like him methinks. Looks more disjointed than I would expect though...
wtf sk

also fireblaster made those hitboxs!!! Cheater! >:C
I would have been 2nd if I edited when you let me and since fireblaster is obv dirty cheater. I would have been 1st!! I would have the glory!! I would have the fame!! ; __ ;

The Star King

Smash Hero
I feel like a boss for predicting the Puff trick. But I feel like a moron for noting the parry frames, but forgetting throws have them, goddamnit. Also Yoshi down-b, I only thought of dsmashes because those are primarily the type of move that hit low on both sides :|

I saw that Fireblaster win coming dude

M!nt

Smash Champion
How did anyone not think thats yoshis downb there's like no legs so it can't be kirby or fox. Boom how do you get something like links back throw but not get that one.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Shush Mint I told you why, I thought it had to be a downsmash.

The Mario/Luigi thing is fair IMO because you can tell from the body shape and stuff.

The "attack" thing is fine too because it only confused me. And honestly it probably made me do better, because if it wasn't for that I would've said Ness shield drop or some **** and gotten 0 points instead of 1

Sangoku

Smash Master
Glad you guys liked it. I've prepared a lot more and Fireblaster gave me some good ideas as well to find tricky ones lol.

I think I'll make a few rounds of 7 images every few days.

Edit: is there a specific hour you guys would prefer for me to post rounds?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Just posting in this thread to say hi to you, Ballin-kun. Embarrass

Vale

Smash Ace
I'll participate in the next one. Last place is locked up tight, you guys shouldn't even bother trying.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Edit: is there a specific hour you guys would prefer for me to post rounds?
Early in the morning would be the best I think, if you could. Don't wake up early just to post them though! lol

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Oh man i missed this!!! Totally called that puff utilt trick as soon as I saw it though. If you do one this weekend I can't participate :(

Unless its within the next 5-6 hours

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay, so especially for clubba:

Here is round 2!

(be sure to read the rules in the OP)

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

By the way, is it okay with the small size? Or should I upload them bigger?

M!nt

Smash Champion
oo this one looks harder lol
small size is okay to me

sending you my answers

The Star King

Smash Hero
just popping in to lol at people who got the Yoshi downB one wrong
are you ****ing kidding me you can't talk **** if you didn't participate. that's like MATTS! loling at people's appearances when he hasn't posted a pic. you're a ****ing fraud. everything is 20/20 in hindsight. **** you buddy.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I think everyone will do better because of such trickstery last time around

1 of those I too had thought of it, haha

ballin4life

Smash Hero
are you ****ing kidding me you can't talk **** if you didn't participate. that's like MATTS! loling at people's appearances when he hasn't posted a pic. you're a ****ing fraud. everything is 20/20 in hindsight. **** you buddy.

I know you're mad you missed such an easy one ... but just trust me when I say I knew that one was yoshi downB within .0000001 seconds, well before I scrolled down to the answers.

I will say I thought some of the other ones were pretty difficult. Also I did not see this thread in time to participate in the initial round; dunno how you can blame me for that. Second round seems really hard, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

edit: spent a few minutes and PMed answers to Sangoku. This is hard.

Top Bottom