• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: Sakurai's Four Pillars of Character Virtue, Day 23: Waluigi/Wonder Red!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Sadly, I feel like this might end up becoming just me. :( Wish I knew about this earlier.

Knuckles:

Uniqueness: 4. He'd basically be a Sonic clone, though slower. Even his "Special trait," his fists, is used extensively by Sonic anyways.
Appeal: 5. Sonic fans tend to be pretty obsessive, and as such there's a lot of folks asking not just for Sonic, but also knuckles, shadow, silver, and every other hedgehog clone that ever existed. It might make some folks extremely happy, but for anyone unbiased by fanaticism, it'd seem like a massively wasted slot.
Balance: 6. Sonic is all by himself, so an edgy "teammate" might ease his situation a bit, but nothing major.
Style: 5. The style of Sonic characters is massively different from that of Nintendo characters, but we're already a little used to it.

Still dunno what to "analyze."

Refusing to nominate.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The analyze part of each day is basically to share your ideas with other people in an attempt to sway them for when they vote the next day.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 22 is over!

Knuckles

Uniqueness: 4
Appeal: 5
Balance: 6
Style: 5
Total: 20

Day 23: Please vote on Waluigi and analyze Wonder Red!

Due to the low activity in this thread, I'm going to try to start participating.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm going to let this day go another day. If no one votes for Waluigi, or no one requests otherwise, I'm going to put this game on hiatus.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm going to let this day go another day. If no one votes for Waluigi, or no one requests otherwise, I'm going to put this game on hiatus.

Quite saddening. :( Don't count my voting. I'll do this till the end of time, but then it just turns into a thread of solely my opinions.

Uniqueness: 8. He falls into the lump that is "Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi," which hurts his uniqueness a bit, but considering his pretty well-defined role in said group, it doesn't hurt that bad. He's a tall, lanky, possibly goofy twig (totally new,) and his personality is pretty much antisocial creep, also totally new. Waluigi is just an aspect completely missing from Smash Bros.
Appeal: 4. For some reason, folks hate him.
Balance: 10. We have the Mario Bros, and Wario, but not Waluigi. This is just weird. He also, as said, brings a new, unique character, that's still totally Nintendo, to Smash Bros. Frankly, I think he's one of the most balancing characters possible.
Style: 10. Everything already screams "would work in Smash Bros." He has the right artstyle, a perfectly viable personality, a perfectly viable bodyshape for movesets and so on.

Total: 32. The three things Waluigi doesn't have going for him, Appeal, Unique Moveset potential (he'd probaby need to be generic or sporty,) and importance-to-series, are his problems. Appeal, of course, matters, and moveset potential is a hit. When it comes to importance-to-series, though, I'd argue that Waluigi is the most important aspect missing from a "Mario/Nintendo Spin-Off multiplayer 'party' game."

Red Wonder: Nobody knows whatever this thing is. No Appeal, no balance, and presumably an absurd style.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Waluigi:

Uniqueness: 7. He's part Wario, part Luigi. But he's also got a few things going for him despite this, but nearly everything is from spinoff titles and is bizarre. Not many folks can swim through thin air.

Appeal: 3. A lot of haters will hate. Plus people argue that the spinoff sports titles and Mario Party titles shouldn't count towards a Smashers inclusion. Also surprisingly not as well known as you'd think too.

Balance: 7. Arguable if we need another Mario slot at all. We'd like one, yes, but do we NEED one? In terms of gameplay Waluigi's lanky limbs could give him a good edgeguard game and grab reach which could translate well into an anti air game.

Style: 8. Waluigi's a fun guy, and in all of the Mario sports spinoffs seems to be one of the wackier characters; swimming through air, crotch chopping, throwing roses, and looking like a giant possessed Muppet doll in Sports Mix.

Total: 25

Wonder Red analysis:
Wonder Red has a few things going for him: He can punch people with a FIST MADE OF PEOPLE. That's badass no matter how you cut it, and most certainly unique.
Unfortunately that's about where the good time train will end for Red.

He's relatively unknown since he's a brand new IP character, his game hasn't had quite as much impact as Nintendo had hoped(at least not yet), and arguably his style of attack may be tough on the hardware since it requires multiple NPCs to work. Even if you did it Pikmin style it may look a mess, since the people he uses are the same size as himself.

Balance wise he IS a new IP, something Sakurai said he wanted to use more of during Brawl, but he's a bit too new for the average Nintendo fan to know about. There's also arguably easier characters to use such as Dillon if you want a new IP character who wouldn't be such a strain on the hardware and has a great look going for him.

The other major issue surrounding Wonder Red(as if there weren't enough already) is that he's a third party character; slots for which only go to those of legendary status. Sonic, Megaman, yes even Snake are popular characters known the world over. Wonder Red is not yet. He's even behind fellow 'often confused for 1st party' Nintendo exclusives Proffessor Layton and Phoenix Wright, neither of which have much chance.

(1up)

Also can I renominate the ones who didn't get any results? Shulk and Layton need to be voted on properly.
Perhaps rather than daily it'd be better to wait for a few results first even if it takes a few days. I'll try and vote on things from now on but if no one has voted you may as well leave it, but give it a bump to remind people.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think I will do that. I'll get rid of the "day" thing and rename it. I don't have time tonight, but tomorrow I will get this going again.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Waluigi

Uniqueness: 6
A twisted incarnation of Luigi and partner in crime with Wario. His existence was dependent on these two characters already being created. His uniqueness comes from his lanky frame, creepy loser persona, and ability to swim in the air. In a game of movements, this ability offers possibilities. However, he would have to reach into Mario sports titles to flesh out his specials which takes away more specific WaLuigi-defining qualities.

Appeal: 2
He has a large hate base. I do not think he would make a large segment of a potential audience want to buy the game. He might even have an anti-appeal factor going for him.

Style: 10
Well, if Mario, Luigi and Wario can fit than another zany plumber can as well. He also brings personality to the table. This Smash incarnation does seem to have an array of facial expressions for each character and Waluigi offers plenty of facial contortions.

Balance: 5
Will Waluigi feel like he usurped a spot from other Mario characters such as Toad, Bowser Jr. or even Paper Mario? Will the game feel a little plumber heavy? Mortal Kombat was ridiculed for color swapping its ninjas. But Waluigi's frame does lend itself to a mid-range moveset and he soley exists to be a counter to Luigi (at least in Sport titles).

Total: 23

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
The other major issue surrounding Wonder Red(as if there weren't enough already) is that he's a third party character; slots for which only go to those of legendary status. Sonic, Megaman, yes even Snake are popular characters known the world over. Wonder Red is not yet. He's even behind fellow 'often confused for 1st party' Nintendo exclusives Proffessor Layton and Phoenix Wright, neither of which have much chance.

Wonder Red is first/second party. He is owned by Nintendo.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Platinum Games are a partner of Nintendo, so they're not first party. Sonic Team and Square Enix are also classed as a Nintendo partner though, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make Sonic and Black Mage 2nd party.

But they also are free to publish on other consoles too, and are not Nintendo exclusive. Whilst The Wonderful 101 currently is a Nintendo title, it is only published by Nintendo, I'm not sure Wonder Red would count as first/second party. After all Super Mario RPG was published by Nintendo too, with strong ties to their flagship title(which is also obviously exclusive to Nintendo), but Geno is discussed as a third party character since Square own his rights.
You realize that everything Platinum has made is owned by other companies right? The site even states that the game is a copyright of Nintendo.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There was some argument in the Roster Prediction Thread about Meowth's chances. I will nominate him to see how he'll fare.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Cool. I am currently thinking about how to change the format of this. I will probably abandon the concept of days and let people vote on whomever they want and revise their scores whenever they want.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Cool. I am currently thinking about how to change the format of this. I will probably abandon the concept of days and let people vote on whomever they want and revise their scores whenever they want.

What's what I'd do.

In Title, add this: "Help! Dying game!" People are generally splendid creatures, and asking for help will generally lead to help coming in.

Methodology: wait for 3-5 (decide a set number) replies on a specific character to occur. Then, after reaching that number, make it the "Last Day" (maybe even put "last day" in the thread title) to encourage people to zoom in and rate a character's pillars. The idea of daily makes folks say, "I guess I'll just do tomorrow's," but the prospect of a "last chance" really pushes folks, especially if they think they'll only have one option the next 3 days (2 options in 4 days is better than 1 option in 3 days, y'know.)

Still refusing to nominate.

Oh, and ask people to not make dumb nominations like Knuckles or etc. Ain't nobody care about him. Allow revoting to occur after 20 characters pass, especially because there's pretty much only like 20-30 actual character prospects.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Small bump to hopefully get someone else to give their ratings to this game.

I know bumps are annoying, but it's pretty much the only way this topic's going to get another rating/analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom