• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game = Just Plain Boring??/

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
My friends and I originally protested the speed addiction in Melee, playing with fast falls and whatnot but generally keeping away from unnatural techniques like wave dashing. That said, Brawl's better character roster, great stages and sound are far, far more immersive. Melee had a terribly addiction to hot pink (Final Destination border?) whereas this is much easier to look at. More fun to play, too.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Playing with items makes the game bore me really fast. It's actually surprising. Like, we'll play for an hour and I'll be bored, largely because 3/4ths of the matches had a lot of bull**** in them.

but I think if you try playing without items you might find it more fun.

Also, try messing with special brawl... especially the speeds and gravities.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm being told by noobs I've never met that I don't have friends, so that's always a plus.

I have tried the online mode, but even that seems half-a$$ed. I want to be able to talk to my friends, and not have to call them up or go on AIM or Ventrilo. The whole combat system is just flat out lacking, and bland. There is nothing crazy to learn. I used to practice SHLing and Waveshining, but now I practice flying around Hyrule with Metaknight.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Well, I'm being told by noobs I've never met that I don't have friends, so that's always a plus.

I have tried the online mode, but even that seems half-a$$ed. I want to be able to talk to my friends, and not have to call them up or go on AIM or Ventrilo. The whole combat system is just flat out lacking, and bland. There is nothing crazy to learn. I used to practice SHLing and Waveshining, but now I practice flying around Hyrule with Metaknight.
Well if you are looking for a character to train stuff with pick up Lucas. He already has a bunch of stuff like magnet pull and zap jump.

Now on topic i feel the same but i also felt the same about melee. Smash games weren't really meant to be played by yourself.

JCrest87

Smash Journeyman
Naw dude, its not Brawl thats got you tired out. It's Smash in general...trust me. I used to play Mellee for a good 30 minutes and I find myself playing Brawl all the time. You cant say theres much to do cuz I highly doubt you're 50% done unlocking everything. PLUS the game just game out, were discovering new techniques day by day and It's only been about two months since it came out (japan release) give it time. And why rely on waiting for others tech skills, try and find some out yourself if you're really that reliant on tech skill. Remember, Brawl is not an expansion...It's a new game in general.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
I agree. Brawl does indeed get very boring after 1 hour or so. You're so limited in gameplay that it's just not as challenging. Challenges are what keeps people going to play more and find more.

Brawl doesn't need 7 years to find all the techniques. There are a lot more people now playing so I bet within a couple of years, everything will be figured out + we already know many techniques since they were carried on from Melee.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. The plethora of modes availiable in Brawl will keep my single playing days over for at least a couple months, and once I get online decently running, that'll keep my attention for the next few years. I think Brawl is a lot better playing against friends too. I'm sure everyone will get used to the new playing style eventually.

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
For some reason it appeals to me more than melee.
But Melee is mad fun and I'd rather watch it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think it is a lot more boring than melee, but it really depends on who you are playing with too. I usually end up doing my own sound effects in the middle of the fight... which, so I'm told, makes the game more interesting.

Aside from that, I keep playing hoping to find something new.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I agree it's much more boring than Melee. I find myself wanting to quit after 20-30 min... and I used to go on 7 hour melee streaks and beg my friends to play just one more.

Without all the techs and speed, it's not very much fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl is only fun if both players are playing relatively aggressively.

Which you'll never see happen in the top brackets of a Brawl tournament.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya i'm going to have to disagree with the boring bit i love the game i find it better than melee more to do and if you really don't have anyone to play with just jump online for a random people brawl.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I think brawl is way more fun. We got the 50 hours of gameplay challenge in about 4 days.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yes it gets boring far faster than melee. Especially alone.
Yes, this game gets boring when your playing alone. . . I don't live in a good area so I only have one local friend he is a Xbox live fan-boy and will only play me when I get wifi (He lives like one bloke away and he alread told me his Wii wifi sucks with this game. . .)

Played with a group of people at school after playing alone fore a week and it was loads more fun.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, you spend daily 30 to 60 minutes on just a "plain boring" game?

Wow, OP.... Wow.

Rash

Smash Ace
Not boring. You've just played Melee too much. I say you're burned out.

Honestly, I never played Melee competitively, and none of my friends did either. Of course, within our group we did have some people who just plain never played the game (true defintiion of casuals) and others (like me) who were relatively good. When we had parties, Melee stole the show almost every time because of it's addictive gameplay, fun stages, and variety of characters. Brawl does everything that Melee did, but does it all better (minus the removal of advanced techniques that I never used in the first place), and therefore fulfills and satisfies our expectations immensely.

I think it depends on the person overall, but I believe that most people who are tired of Brawl generally just burned themsevles out on playing Melee too much.

Reckoner88

Smash Rookie
i've never played any of the other smash games, so brawl is my first one, ITS AWESOME!!!!!

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say I burned out playing melee, just that Brawl... once you have a competitive perspective of melee... is just a camping game.

Any high level tournament is going to wind up being a battle of spamming and camping. Aggression is so easily punishable, and there's not many ways to make it work. You can barely combo, so why bother working hard to break the other person's rhythm and get a hit in? You're much better off being cheap from afar.

Maybe it's not that we're burnt out, maybe it's that a deeper understanding of Melee allows us to see where Brawl is headed. I'm pretty certain that if there were ways to really speed the game up, us thousands of advanced Melee players would've dug some of them up by now.

Maybe Brawl would be more fun if you played 2v2s exclusively.

Watery

Smash Rookie
I didn't have much time to read over the entire thread but personally, I logged over 100+ hrs of brawl within my first two weeks of obtaining brawl (and I still don't find it boring). As for melee, I don't recall logging as many hrs within my first two weeks.

Yes, all three smash titles will forever be noted together, but it would be the gravest mistake to make if we were to say that all three titles were the same. They are similiar, but they're not the same.

When I first obtained brawl, I quickly made the mistake of comparing it to melee. I reminisced and naturally played brawl as I have treated melee. Boy, that was a huge mistake! Brawl is not melee, and melee is not brawl. They are 2 completely different games. Yeah sure, some of the former techniques from melee didn't translate to brawl, but that's because they're not the same game. Don't live in the same niche! It's time to move out, take a deep breath and freshen up.

Although, I do have to say I have always had an opportunity to play any smash title with friends so that may be the reason for why I find this game so interesting. Nevertheless, everytime I start up brawl on my wii, I'm always thrilled and happy that I have the opportunity to play a game that somewhere out there people are missing out unfortunately. Try the coin launcher! Or listen to the huge music selection. Take pictures or build a stage! The idea is to be CREATIVE (as with any other game)!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Brawl is not melee, and melee is not brawl
I don't understand that statement. that's like If I made a new zelda game where you have to drop blocks down a hole and try fill up a row and then they disappear. If you get 4 rows at once you get a tetris... I mean triforce.

They are games of the same genre and, more importantly, franchise and purpose. To say that they are completely different games is dumb. If I'm good at Counterstrike 1.6, should I be horrible at Source? No, they translate fine. Yes, there are differences and limitations, but are they two completely different things? No!

Melee and Brawl are bothers, compare them. Play them. Test them. When they developed Brawl, they made it to be different from melee, but was there a big difference to the casuals? No, they still see Brawl and melee as the same because they were both item using, button-mashing party games.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I played cs1.6 in CAL and source in kind, they ARE two completely different things to me BECAUSE I played them so in depth. The deeper you play a game, the more you will view its predacessors and ancestors as completely different things because you will notice every single little change in the game. This is because when you play a game so avidly, you begin to conciously and subconciously rely on these mechanics which are different from game to game. This is the stigma that I believe is causing a portion of the community to reject Brawl.

I'm even guilty of it again in the cs1.6-Source analogy, I HATED source at first because I felt it took away a lot of my metagame and the mechanics that I capitalized on (i.e. an abundance of walls that could be shot through with high caliber weapons and RETAIN most of their damage, specific weapon switching speed and timing for knife/no zoom scout and so on). But after playing it for a while I adapted to the mechanics and now I enjoy both games equally.

I'd say if people got rid of all this melee dogma they'd be a lot better off. I know that for every melee habit I strip myself of, I do a lot better in Brawl, and thus, enjoy it more and for longer periods of time.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I played cs1.6 in CAL and source in kind, they ARE two completely different things to me BECAUSE I played them so in depth. The deeper you play a game, the more you will view its predacessors and ancestors as completely different things because you will notice every single little change in the game. This is because when you play a game so avidly, you begin to conciously and subconciously rely on these mechanics which are different from game to game. This is the stigma that I believe is causing a portion of the community to reject Brawl.

I'm even guilty of it again in the cs1.6-Source analogy, I HATED source at first because I felt it took away a lot of my metagame and the mechanics that I capitalized on (i.e. an abundance of walls that could be shot through with high caliber weapons and RETAIN most of their damage, specific weapon switching speed and timing for knife/no zoom scout and so on). But after playing it for a while I adapted to the mechanics and now I enjoy both games equally.

I'd say if people got rid of all this melee dogma they'd be a lot better off. I know that for every melee habit I strip myself of, I do a lot better in Brawl, and thus, enjoy it more and for longer periods of time.
QFT.

Also, the only reason I ever get bored is because CPUs suck, my brothers suck, and all my friends are never online/have no wi-fi/had their wii broken/don't have brawl/*insert malady here*.

blackninjaforevr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beefsloth
3DS FC
2681-2164-1047
I have to agree, even with the (terrible) wifi, Brawl just doesn't seem as fun as melee used to be, I could play melee hours on end even by myself just practicing new moves etc. Now with Brawl I turn it on, see if anyone is on wifi, if not, I usually turn it off and play some psp or xbox haha.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
This was the phrase that pointed it out.

You're bored of it because you're a tourney***.
This is the reason why people don't respect members who've just recently joined... I wish people like you didn't come to smashboards.

*cough* anyway, heres an englightening post, explaining why a lot of people (even those who didn't use ATs find Brawl much less enjoyable.

"Originally Posted by Sascratch

I think its less an issue of "competitiveness" and more of an issue of fun.

I think the better player is gonna win the match in brawl just as they would in melee but the problem is that there are significantly less "OH SNAP!" moments in brawl. Those ridiculus moments when everyone in the room would scream is what made melee so great and what brawl is seriously lacking. "

It illustrates an argument that isn't often presented, though is crucial to the debate as a whole.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
This is the reason why people don't respect members who've just recently joined... I wish people like you didn't come to smashboards.

*cough* anyway, heres an englightening post, explaining why a lot of people (even those who didn't use ATs find Brawl much less enjoyable.

I think the better player is gonna win the match in brawl just as they would in melee but the problem is that there are significantly less "OH SNAP!" moments in brawl. Those ridiculus moments when everyone in the room would scream is what made melee so great and what brawl is seriously lacking. "

It illustrates an argument that isn't often presented, though is crucial to the debate as a whole.
Haha. Oh Snap moment. C. Falcon sprinting up the fin on Corneria and launching Peach into oblivion with T3H KNEE. Oh snap, indeed.

Yeah, Brawl lacks those. I think I'll probably swap between the two games every now and then.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
^ Exactly. I remember watching Darkrain's C Falcon doing the Darkrain combo (I think it was coined)... Truley, TRULEY epic.

Watching Brawl Vids compared to that is pure Zzz.

MR.T44

Smash Rookie
some things in brawl are a little different then in melee.

The characters seem to move a little slower,especially in mid air,which kinda makes me miss the type of mid-air battles I had in melee with falco.

now playing as falco is just kinda weird and he's just not as affective in the air as in melee.

Though I still play this game as much as melee,I mostly mess around in stage builder.

MR.T44

Smash Rookie

Well,I don't know about you,but I still have "OH SNAP!" moments when I'm playing with my friends or when I won that tourny on saturday.

Even still though,I admit that due to the slower gameplay in brawl,those moments happen less often.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
This game is great but you get bored of any game after playing it for so long. Take a break and your come back.

I don't think I could see playing melee online with all of the wavedashing. (seeing I don't know how to do it)

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
People fall for trolls way to easily around here.

I was simply making a satirical remark by exploiting their commentl which was that one of the reasons that they are bored of Brawl is because advanced techs are out. Which would make thems eem like an elitist.

tl;dr It was a joke.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Yeah its like im hearing I cant kick *** like I use to so im bored. Thats an exaggeration of course. Which I guess is true if you argue the game has gone in a different direction. If those players arn't flexible then yes I guess its boring. I hear this alot in these forums people telling others to "get over it" . So why cant we "get over it" or is it different when it affects the competetive gamers scene? Enlighten me because its seems like alot of hypocrisy in the way we act and speak about the game and how we play the game. Then again I might be confusing boring with bad but generally the statment of a boring game sounds like a bad game to me.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I had an Oh Snap! moment just a few minuets ago when me and my friend were sparring up for the upcoming brawl tourney around here. I was Ike and he was Zelda on the melee Yoshi stage... the one with the yellow blocks of dewm.

It had been going pretty well for me, b-sticking a Nair for an approach over her din's fire worked out pretty well, but he pulled of a heel of everlasting pain on me. I ricocheted off of 4 surfaces before being launched against the side of the stage via the green pipe sliding me off with me extra momentum. It was definitely a "lol wtf!" moment for both of us.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
People fall for trolls way to easily around here.

I was simply making a satirical remark by exploiting their commentl which was that one of the reasons that they are bored of Brawl is because advanced techs are out. Which would make thems eem like an elitist.

tl;dr It was a joke.
My bad. I guess my me sense of humour was outta wack today, apologies.

Actually, I had an Oh Snap! moment just a few minuets ago when me and my friend were sparring up for the upcoming brawl tourney around here. I was Ike and he was Zelda on the melee Yoshi stage... the one with the yellow blocks of dewm.

It had been going pretty well for me, b-sticking a Nair for an approach over her din's fire worked out pretty well, but he pulled of a heel of everlasting pain on me. I ricocheted off of 4 surfaces before being launched against the side of the stage via the green pipe sliding me off with me extra momentum. It was definitely a "lol wtf!" moment for both of us.
Awsome! Even though your oh snap moment wasn't a combo as such, The problem with brawl is, that with the lower hitstun these combos happen so much less often it causes me physical pain.

Watch this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9FBiDCx0U

Look at the combo done from 33 seconds onwards... Now tell me, how often will that EVER happen in Brawl?!

Edit: Actually watch the whole thing, its a pretty awsome match.

Top Bottom