• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W's, try this out

lou4222

Smash Lord
Seems very situational. At the very worst it seems like you could get the up tilt to footstool and then come down with a key. That would work every time if it turns out there isnt enough time to get down and use a smash.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
This is awesome! I've seen all these other characters with footstool coolness and now we can footstool to nine or upsmash.! Chea. awesome. Oh and, not as cool, but when you footstool someone standing it's a free key and you can footstool anyone shielding.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've done this before and the thing that works for me is footstool then Dair but this is a pretty good find, I never thought of Utilt + Footstool. Good Job.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Gotta admit, that was pretty sweet; nice find. Really enjoyed the music to =P. Worth experimenting/studying. I'll bet this is even possible with B+ (I don't know). I'll test this out however. Once again, very nice find and you did the right thing in showing the appropriate combo; utilt> footstool> fair> nine9. Thanks for sharing the find!

G&W X

Smash Cadet
I think you might be able to make an inescapable combo with this but it will be hard to time since you will after F smash>Up-b>F-air >jump D-air spike>d-tilt or F-smash... maybe....

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
I think you might be able to make an inescapable combo with this but it will be hard to time since you will after F smash>Up-b>F-air >jump D-air spike>d-tilt or F-smash... maybe....
no.

extremely lucky string against a casual player maybe, but inescapable? no, sorry. =)

as for OP though, it's pretty situational. landing a uptilt that close>footstool is rare. and i'm pretty sure they can escape after the uptilt. buffered jump, airdodge, or quick aerial.

still, it'd be awesome to get another good option for gaw. maybe a falling crossup nair>footstool>etc?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
no.

extremely lucky string against a casual player maybe, but inescapable? no, sorry. =)

as for OP though, it's pretty situational. landing a uptilt that close>footstool is rare. and i'm pretty sure they can escape after the uptilt. buffered jump, airdodge, or quick aerial.

still, it'd be awesome to get another good option for gaw. maybe a falling crossup nair>footstool>etc?
As I said in the vid, I doubt this is inescapable (meaning footstool and on.) But I'm glad to see everyone think positive.

On a funny note, while playing with this the other day, I did (on wolf):

u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> footstool ---> weak fair ---> judge 8 ----> footstool on the breakout ---> weak fair ---> tripping 2 ---> 9!

it was sick.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
As I said in the vid, I doubt this is inescapable (meaning footstool and on.) But I'm glad to see everyone think positive.

On a funny note, while playing with this the other day, I did (on wolf):

u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> footstool ---> weak fair ---> judge 8 ----> footstool on the breakout ---> weak fair ---> tripping 2 ---> 9!

it was sick.
that sounds wicked! did u get the replay?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
as you said
it's best as a mix up lol

come of the level 1 cpu's were able to escape it :urg:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
as you said
it's best as a mix up lol

some of the level 1 cpu's were able to escape it :urg:
yeah, unless you do it as fast as humanly possible, they can get up faster then you can attack after the fair, so it'd be the same thing for actual players i'd imagine. I tried it on lvl 9's, and it was a bit harder, but it was still possible if done fast enough.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it takes practice but i think it could be a useful way to get in a kill with fsmash

ima try this out a bit more and see how it goes lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The easist way to set this up is Dthrow(hope they don't tech) into utilt.

There are two easy ways to escape this combo though. GW does not have enough time to footstool MK simply put. MK can just uair out of it.

If you do footstool, MK can DI the footstool and has time to start a get-up animation before you hit with your fair.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
MK is probably the last character you'd want to try this on anyway lol

but yea,it is easy to escape if your opponent is expecting it

i don't think it should be overlooked though lol
like the judgment hammers:p

Neb

Smash Lord
I posted this in the "Approaching with G&W" topic awhile ago, and a few times in the match-up thread, funny its just now getting attention :ohwell:. But... I find its easier to set-up from a nair since it penetrates more, or like Hylian said, through a missed dthrow tech. In terms of it it being escapable, I'm not completely positive, but it can catch people off-guard and can be used as a strong mix-up.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
if you don't do it correctly though,it can leave you quite vulnerable x_x
so it's a high risk with big rewards lol

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, if you're extremely lucky, you can hit them right as they bounce with a 2 or a 7 (Which both has jab lock capabilities), and then hit them with a garanteed "9" in their forced rising getup lag.
Oh, sexy combo. lol

Vayseth

Smash Master
Well, if you're extremely lucky, you can hit them right as they bounce with a 2 or a 7 (Which both has jab lock capabilities), and then hit them with a garanteed "9" in their forced rising getup lag.
Oh, sexy combo. lol
Now you're thinkin' =)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol i tried doing this in a wifi match today and it cost me the game

lolwifi >_>;

and ZigMa lol
sounds like something only UTDzac can pull off ;P

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
"u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> u-tilt ---> footstool ---> weak fair ---> judge 8 ----> footstool on the breakout ---> weak fair ---> tripping 2 ---> 9!"

try that ****!

i think if we get it down it could be a good mix up.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Well idk how easy it would be to pull off against mk, but ROB can be up-tilted directly out of down throw. He can't buffer rolls fast enough to get away from it, and since his hit box is so awkwardly shaped, the uptilt hits him while he's lying down. So this would probably be a neat combo vs ROB.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Well idk how easy it would be to pull off against mk, but ROB can be up-tilted directly out of down throw. He can't buffer rolls fast enough to get away from it, and since his hit box is so awkwardly shaped, the uptilt hits him while he's lying down. So this would probably be a neat combo vs ROB.
But any serious ROB would be able to tech the roll in the first place.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
But any serious ROB would be able to tech the roll in the first place.
Just because they can doesn't mean they will. They may purposefully not tech it if they expect you to tech chase with a regrab or u-smash. Don't dismiss a theory because it won't work all the time. Just look at dthrow>d-smash. It doesn't work all the time, but it's good as a mixup in case they mistime>don't tech. Of course this isn't to say u-tilt shenanigans are the best option out of a nonteched d-throw, but it's a good damage (6% dthrow + 8% u-tilt + 6% weak fair + 18% fsmash = 32%!), flashy mixup to use if you're becoming predictable after your d-throws.

Also, can someone do some research (friend kidnapped my wii and won't give it back) and see if u-tilt>footstool is guaranteed, and if so to what percentages? If it works around 20 or so percent and you can get to them to u-tilt during their forced get-up then you may be able to d-throw>u-tilt>footstool>weak fair>u-tilt>footstool>weak fair>f-smash, and that'd be powersex to the max and like a 50% guaranteed combo on ROB or some ****.

Just a thought, won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work. In fact, I don't really have my hopes up for it. It'd just be AMAZING.

Neb

Smash Lord
Dthrow's a nice option, but I think it'd be easier to FF Nair - Footstool - Weak Fair - Whatever. Its more guaranteed since the grade of success does not surround what your opponent decides to do. You could also throw in the utilt after the FF nair for added damage.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
anyone who doesn't know how to tech G&W's dthrow is uneducated in the match up, and is likely to lose anyways. There aren't many ROBs up here in michigan, and none who actually place in tourneys, AFAIK, so I wouldn't know what ROB wants to do here.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
It's worth it for the flashiness. G&W needed a little sparkle in his life.
yes it is, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see it done correctly in a tournament, but as Lord Chair said about the percentages, i doubt it'll get a kill. But it would be pretty great at early percentages to rack up a good amount of damage if done correctly eh?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
anyone who doesn't know how to tech G&W's dthrow is uneducated in the match up, and is likely to lose anyways. There aren't many ROBs up here in michigan, and none who actually place in tourneys, AFAIK, so I wouldn't know what ROB wants to do here.
yes it is, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see it done correctly in a tournament, but as Lord Chair said about the percentages, i doubt it'll get a kill. But it would be pretty great at early percentages to rack up a good amount of damage if done correctly eh?
ROB doesn't want to get grabbed at low percentages whatsoever, and will be able to prevent G&W from doing so. His problems with G&W are in G&W's aerials, not his ground game. ROB's ground game systematically shuts down almost everyone's ground game anyway.

cutter

Smash Champion
ROB's ground game systematically shuts down almost everyone's ground game anyway.
I'm pretty sure that's a really gross exaggeration on your part considering someone like MK has a 3 frame Ftilt with insane, massive disjointed range, a 3 frame Dtilt with more range than Marth's Dtilt, and a 5 frame up B with invincibility frames.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I test this out a bunch on CPUs in training mode. Unfinished nair->uptilt is a good setup if the character doesn't have any quick aerials like Ike.

But as Hylian said, they can get up before you can fair them. Instead, just dair after the footstool and followup with a dtilt or something.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
i'm not so sure they can get out of it, if done with precise timing. I really need to do some testing with this, i've just been lazy/busy.

Nair to uptilt is, by far, the best way to set it up. I've known that since before I uploaded it, i just didn't care to show it, fearing it may make the video more complicated then it needed to be.

Maybe jimbocav and I will do some framerates on this. Some hardcore examining.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that's a really gross exaggeration on your part considering someone like MK has a 3 frame Ftilt with insane, massive disjointed range, a 3 frame Dtilt with more range than Marth's Dtilt, and a 5 frame up B with invincibility frames.
"ROB's ground game systematically shuts down almost everyone's ground game anyway."

Almost. Then again, ROB's dtilt beats MK's dtilt (don't ask me why), just to let you know. And if you don't know about ROB's defensive ground game then I suppose I'm wasting my time on you.

To end this reply on a comment that is perhaps as irrelevant and useless as it gets (taking MK to a discussion of ROB vs G&W, which started with the reasoning as to why or why not ROB would tech a roll which may or may not lead into a utilt on G&W's side) I'd say that MK is a rather useless match-up for ROB anyway.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Almost. Then again, ROB's dtilt beats MK's dtilt (don't ask me why), just to let you know. And if you don't know about ROB's defensive ground game then I suppose I'm wasting my time on you.
Why does everyone forget that ROB's D-tilt has more range than MK's? This is why I've said for quite a while that ROB has the best D-tilt in the game. Frame 3, and wtfhax range, and tripping + infinites.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Why does everyone forget that ROB's D-tilt has more range than MK's? This is why I've said for quite a while that ROB has the best D-tilt in the game. Frame 3, and wtfhax range, and tripping + infinites.
Ah yes, range. My bad. Most people (including ROBs) are looking at his ftilt rather than his dtilt. Just because it has more range. Aside of it's speed, range, tripping, infinites, it also has the ability to combo into itself as well as alot of other crap.

Oh if I'm correct it does enlarge his hurtbox, making ROB's dtilt only capable of punishing MK's dtilt, which is a rather lulzy thing to say. Though it's possible.

Top Bottom